Earbuds Round-Up
May 22, 2020 at 6:03 PM Post #47,987 of 75,149
What is best earbuds right now or in near future? Dragon 3, CAX Red Dragon, any variants?

May 22, 2020 at 10:43 PM Post #47,988 of 75,149
Turandot seems to be at its lowest price now (from what I've seen) Is there a big difference if any between 2.5 balanced and 3.5 balanced? I mainly use 3.5 but wouldn't mind using an adapter if I got the 2.5. ( I do listen from 2.5 occasionally)

2.5 seems to be $162 now, 3.5 $178, and 2.5 with 3.5 adapter is $186. Small differences in price but hey, I like to be cheap :dt880smile:

May 22, 2020 at 10:48 PM Post #47,989 of 75,149
What is best earbuds right now or in near future? Dragon 3, CAX Red Dragon, any variants?
I would say those two or pretty much on top when it comes to totl earbuds. But you might want to also consider how much you want to spend last time I spoke to Herry from cypherusaudio he said the red dragon was at a thousand USD and well the Dragon 3 is 500 if I remember correctly. I have not heard either but they are very well spoken of in the earbud community.

May 23, 2020 at 12:07 AM Post #47,990 of 75,149
Is there a big difference if any between 2.5 balanced and 3.5 balanced? I mainly use 3.5 but wouldn't mind using an adapter if I got the 2.5.
Does your amp have 3.5 balanced output? It's pretty rare and I'm surprised the Turandot even has that option. The adapter is 3.5 unbalanced to 2.5 balanced. If your amp has 3.5 unbalanced output, you have to get the 2.5 with adapter.

May 23, 2020 at 3:33 AM Post #47,991 of 75,149
Courtesy of @chinmie on the "Going fully wireless" thread...

has anyone tried this app?
https://www.xda-developers.com/make-your-headphones-sound-better-automatic-eq-wavelet/amp/

it has an AutoEQ feature to make the curve closer to harman target curve, and supports quite a bunch of selections in its library, even some cheap chifis and TWSs.

i only installed it last night, so i only have tested it with my Gbuds and WHXM3 headphone.
from those two, i really like the sound. it makes both of them really airy and less bloated. thr GBuds is airy just as it is, but this app still manages to make the mids clearer.

next I'm gonna test it with my wired ones that's listed there

This app doesn't have many earbuds, but it does have the VE Monks Plus.

I have been listening to my Monks all day, and they sound amazing with this EQ.

One thing, I think the EQ was set without foams. They don't sound right with foams, but take them off, set the EQ setting to VE Monks Plus, and suddenly you get deep punchy bass (first time I heard sub-bass on them!), with crystal clear vocals and great details and imaging. Makes the 5$ monks sound amazing, bonus points if you don't like foams.

Edit: doing a frequency test the driver seems to have a hard time and to clip a lot :frowning2:

Last edited:
May 23, 2020 at 10:33 AM Post #47,992 of 75,149
bought a pair of ToneKing Tomahawk (天魁戰斧). it's some of the most tinny sounding flathead earbuds i've heard in a while. like, the sound comes straight out from a poor quality radio. i am confused when a reviewer said it has a balanced sound.

a pair of DIY 32ohms earbuds by Orin Sound was at the other end of the spectrum by comparison. the Orin has bloated bass that drowns the highest part of the treble, though it's a lot more enjoyable when it comes to pop/rock music.

the saving grace of this tomahawk is probably imaging, which is quite good and helps me at gaming. funny thing is the Orin's are half the price of the Tomahawk.
i wonder if there are more flathead earbuds that are simply a better version of the Orin's,like bass can be less bloating and deeper. i've had Yuin PK2 but it lacked a bit of width or soundstage you could say.

May 23, 2020 at 11:04 AM Post #47,993 of 75,149
bought a pair of ToneKing Tomahawk (天魁戰斧). it's some of the most tinny sounding flathead earbuds i've heard in a while. like, the sound comes straight out from a poor quality radio. i am confused when a reviewer said it has a balanced sound.

a pair of DIY 32ohms earbuds by Orin Sound was at the other end of the spectrum by comparison. the Orin has bloated bass that drowns the highest part of the treble, though it's a lot more enjoyable when it comes to pop/rock music.

the saving grace of this tomahawk is probably imaging, which is quite good and helps me at gaming. funny thing is the Orin's are half the price of the Tomahawk.
i wonder if there are more flathead earbuds that are simply a better version of the Orin's,like bass can be less bloating and deeper. i've had Yuin PK2 but it lacked a bit of width or soundstage you could say.
It happens when the sealing is not good enough. Try to insert or push them a little into the ear.

May 23, 2020 at 11:34 AM Post #47,994 of 75,149
Today I received Smabat ST-10s Black Gold 150Ω, they improved almost everything that I was missing in the usual green ST-10. Perhaps I would just like a little less sub-bass, and a little more mid-bass, but that's my nit-picking.
b1.jpg

b3.jpg

b2.jpg

May 23, 2020 at 11:47 AM Post #47,995 of 75,149
Today I received Smabat ST-10s Black Gold 150Ω, they improved almost everything that I was missing in the usual green ST-10. Perhaps I would just like a little less sub-bass, and a little more mid-bass, but that's my nit-picking.
Mine arrived as well; very pleased.

May 23, 2020 at 11:55 AM Post #47,996 of 75,149

It happens when the sealing is not good enough. Try to insert or push them a little into the ear.

Also, foams, double foams, dense foams, loose foams, holy foams, donut foams, front filters, rubber rings, earhooks, rubber grilles, rubber pod cones, sugru, ear pinching, avant garde positioning, etc... but mainly foams. Earbud fitting is an adventure (largely foam based) in and of itself :grimacing:

Last edited:
May 23, 2020 at 4:28 PM Post #47,998 of 75,149
Last edited:
May 23, 2020 at 9:47 PM Post #48,000 of 75,149
Also, foams, double foams, dense foams, loose foams, holy foams, donut foams, front filters, rubber rings, earhooks, rubber grilles, rubber pod cones, sugru, ear pinching, avant garde positioning, etc... but mainly foams. Earbud fitting is an adventure (largely foam based) in and of itself :grimacing:
thank you guys for the suggestion. yes after pushing them in harder i think they do sound better.

i tried looking at taobao for more foams and unfortunately they all look the same lol. i did find the rubber rings and hooks so i will try them in the future.
the regular foams these came with seem to be quite dense.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back