Earbuds Round-Up
Apr 30, 2020 at 11:20 AM Post #47,701 of 75,268
I am absolutely surprised by the bang for buck performance of the NiceHCK B40s.. yet to experiment with different foams though.

Yes the B40 is a great set. Unfortunately I prefer the shell type of the NiceHCK ME80 in terms of fit, so haven't been giving the B40 much air time, but the sound quality of the B40 is tremendous for the cheap price. The B40 was my first ever purchase in the CHIFI earbuds rabbit hole and it opened my eyes to how good buds are (I was sadly a earbuds snob prior to that).

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33038850404.html
5 usd bud with replaceable cable and we also have the Moondrop chaconne at 320 usd WITHOUT replaceable cable, What???
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33040362551.html

Yes I just bought the RY4S 32 ohm plus and RY4S 300 ohm from that shop. Can't wait to hear how they sound.

This cable thing is the same issue with IEMs/headphones, we still have midfi priced IEMs today that come with non detachable cables, when there's cheap IEMs like the **** at $16 USD that have detachable cables. I've asked some manufacturers directly about this non detachable cable issue and their answer was fixed cables equals less connectors causing bottlenecks in the signal path, which I think is a lame excuse. It's probably to just save costs, which doesn't really make sense for a TOTL/midfi priced IEM/bud in relation to the cost as some shops are charging $10 - 15ish USD to do a MMCX mod.

In my experience, the cable is usually the first point of failure in these non detachable sets, and maybe even just one awkward yank away from dying. Plus some of us prefer balanced cables or even changing cables to subtly change sound signature (for the non cable skeptics).

I have a phobia with non detachable cables as 2 of my midfi westones died in the cable and became useless within a few months (despite babying them). So I generally won't buy anything more than $30 USD with non detachable cables, but maybe others don't mind. YMMV.

Apr 30, 2020 at 12:04 PM Post #47,702 of 75,268
Don't have any RY4S to compare to, but Rambo II has sort of the same flavor as QJ21, though not as upfront / fun / energetic, essentially more laid-back with better soundstage. Overall, I'll call its mildly warm sound that is rich and somewhat smooth. Bass is pretty good, but definitely not something I'll call bass-heavy.

Is it possible to drive Rambo II with smartphone?

Apr 30, 2020 at 1:10 PM Post #47,703 of 75,268
Apr 30, 2020 at 1:36 PM Post #47,704 of 75,268
Do you feel there is any merit to the claim Make Rambo II sound worth USD150+ with the C4 cable? Can it play in the same division as other buds at that price level?

I thought it probably can rival some of the big boys on the $150 region. The build quality alone already makes it feels like a $150+ earbud (as you can see with the comparison next to QJ21, which is almost $250). But the point is that it is only $70, so that makes it a real bargain in my book.

Is it possible to drive Rambo II with smartphone?

It is not a particularly difficult to drive earbuds so you should be fine to use it with a smartphone. Then again, it also depends on how good the smartphone's output is.

Apr 30, 2020 at 2:56 PM Post #47,705 of 75,268
I thought it probably can rival some of the big boys on the $150 region. The build quality alone already makes it feels like a $150+ earbud (as you can see with the comparison next to QJ21, which is almost $250). But the point is that it is only $70, so that makes it a real bargain in my book.

It is not a particularly difficult to drive earbuds so you should be fine to use it with a smartphone. Then again, it also depends on how good the smartphone's output is.
what kind of driver is in Rambo II ? looks like some sort of a metal coating from the photo

Apr 30, 2020 at 3:03 PM Post #47,706 of 75,268
Yes the B40 is a great set. Unfortunately I prefer the shell type of the NiceHCK ME80 in terms of fit, so haven't been giving the B40 much air time, but the sound quality of the B40 is tremendous for the cheap price. The B40 was my first ever purchase in the CHIFI earbuds rabbit hole and it opened my eyes to how good buds are (I was sadly a earbuds snob prior to that).

I think both the B40 and the ME80 are great!
(and if HungryPanda were around, he would agree:frowning2:)

Apr 30, 2020 at 7:25 PM Post #47,707 of 75,268

Someone needs to do this with a PK shell that sounds as good or better than a Shozy BK and I'd pay around $250 for it. I cannot for the life of me spend more than $50 on headphones anymore that don't have detachable cables right at the earbud. I almost pulled the trigger on the Flare Audio Pro 2 HD until I saw how they idiotically put the MMCX connector AFTER a bunch of cable--instead of at the IEM's housing where it belongs.

Apr 30, 2020 at 7:33 PM Post #47,708 of 75,268
Someone needs to do this with a PK shell that sounds as good or better than a Shozy BK and I'd pay around $250 for it. I cannot for the life of me spend more than $50 on headphones anymore that don't have detachable cables right at the earbud. I almost pulled the trigger on the Flare Audio Pro 2 HD until I saw how they idiotically put the MMCX connector AFTER a bunch of cable--instead of at the IEM's housing where it belongs.
They need to do this with ALL earbuds lol. There are no excuses for why something that costs 50 usd and above as to why they don't have replaceable cables...

Apr 30, 2020 at 7:43 PM Post #47,709 of 75,268
They need to do this with ALL earbuds lol. There are no excuses for why something that costs 50 usd and above as to why they don't have replaceable cables...

I've had more mmcx connectors fail on me than wires since I started putting my earbuds in cases, but that's just me. I don't really trust the quality of some of those connectors.

Apr 30, 2020 at 8:53 PM Post #47,710 of 75,268
I've had more mmcx connectors fail on me than wires since I started putting my earbuds in cases, but that's just me. I don't really trust the quality of some of those connectors.

I gotta agree MMCX tend to have shorter lifespan than 2 pin connectors. Best to just leave a cable on an MMCX type bud/IEM and don't do frequent cable rolling if possible.

But then 2 pin connectors have their own issues such as recessed/elevated housing, QDC/TFZ variants, 0.75 and 0.78 mm variants, angled and non angled variants. And some audio companies have semi proprietary 2 pin types even.

Although we are venting a lot on non detachable cables in TOTL/midfi buds/IEMs, actually looking at the bigger picture, the way CHIFI moves so fast with multiple hypetrains coming out on a monthly (sometimes weekly) basis, in all likelihood we would have bought a new hypetrain by the time the cable of the existing one dies haha.

Apr 30, 2020 at 9:28 PM Post #47,711 of 75,268
May 1, 2020 at 4:35 AM Post #47,712 of 75,268

Rambo II ordered and it comes free with an additional $50 cable (last day for cable promo - 1st May). Too good to pass.

May 1, 2020 at 6:19 AM Post #47,715 of 75,268
Can someone please recommend earphone with tangle free cable and microphone?
NICEHCK Audio B40 w/ Mic (32Ω)
I was initially doubtful but it has been more than six months now and my wife has been unable to tangle these buds up... and she is a pro at it! The cable is slick so does not tend to tie up nor does it snag easily. Please do not let the price dissuade you as these are truly "sleepers" and perform well above their price range as many will similarly attest to here on this thread!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back