Earbuds Round-Up
Jan 7, 2020 at 12:38 PM Post #46,726 of 75,203
I've just pulled out the VE Zen Lite L (that came as a free bonus with my Zen 2.0 Zoe).
My Zen Lite L is setup slightly non-standard (so that they're secure & comfortable in my ears) -
1.) I took some of these silicone ear pads, and modified them, by cutting off the "wings", so they're just silicone "rings". [ https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32810617185.html ]
2.) I placed Hiegi Donut Foams over the rings.
They're plugged into the 2.5mm TRRS jack on my stock DSD, running as a USB DAC for my work PC (listening to Allison Young & Postmodern Jukebox videos on YouTube), and the earbuds sound great, with the Volume on the DSD set to 14 (in a quiet office cubicle).

Jan 7, 2020 at 1:03 PM Post #46,727 of 75,203
Just a word of caution: If you are not in any hurry, try holding off from buying any particularly expensive gears from China for now, wait till it is 2nd week of February. Chinese New Year is just around the corner and the Chinese will start moving around (going from city back to rural home) in about 2 days. It is generally a bad time to order around this time as there will be a higher change package might go missing or get delayed.

Jan 7, 2020 at 2:02 PM Post #46,728 of 75,203
Where have all the Qian39s gone on AXpress? I only see them from two sellers, was planning to buy the Qian69+39 from the NickeHCK store and they only have the 69 now.
There are less and less Qian39 and Qian69 on aliexpress, I bought my Qians in last spring and none of the stores where I bought sell them any more. I suggest you to buy qian39 from ollivan as it offers the cheapest price right now. I don't think you will miss the tin box that is only included in more expensive listings, I don't really find those useful anyway personally. I'm just guessing but these models might have been discontinued, let's hope the reason is that Qian plans to introduce new models in their place. If you really want any qian I think you should order soon. This is just a theory, it would be good to know official info about this

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2020 at 2:42 PM Post #46,729 of 75,203
Hi guys are there any better earbuds than apple earpods in low impedance and in same price range, i want to use them with phone in bed at night for music. Also the docomo or yuin pk shell don't fit me nicely monk shell fits fine.

Jan 7, 2020 at 3:46 PM Post #46,730 of 75,203
Just a word of caution: If you are not in any hurry, try holding off from buying any particularly expensive gears from China for now, wait till it is 2nd week of February. Chinese New Year is just around the corner and the Chinese will start moving around (going from city back to rural home) in about 2 days. It is generally a bad time to order around this time as there will be a higher change package might go missing or get delayed.

Thanks for the advice. I was going to pull the trigger on DQSM Turandot. I will wait.

Jan 7, 2020 at 4:07 PM Post #46,732 of 75,203
Warmest I heard was the Willsound MK2.
Nice and warm, very satisfying.

I am really happy with the bass on the Smabat ST-10 that had a nice and surprising amount of sub bass but the signature is not warm, more neutral/analytical with a sub bass lift for satisfying impact.
That's kinda how the Smabat M1 sounds, only a more neutral low end. Not really what I'm after. M1 isn't bad, but a touch boring for my taste. I've had the Willsound mk2 on my next up list for a while now. How's the imaging / separation? Does it sound congested or bloated? How are the mids... Hopefully not recessed. Thx

Jan 7, 2020 at 4:55 PM Post #46,733 of 75,203
So more neutral - analytical than warm and fuzzy? Extended, open highs and all that jazz?
yes that sound just like I hear

Jan 7, 2020 at 9:12 PM Post #46,734 of 75,203
My thoughts on the Astrotec Lyra Nature:

*I was provided the Lyra Nature from Astrotec for review*

Holy Soundstage Batman! I feel like the tuners asked how much distance do you want and the answer was just "Yes". Listening to these, I feel like my tiny town-home grew two sizes.

Such an airy and light playback flows which each song. It very much lives up to its name with a natural feel. Listening to Pink Floyd's - Paranoid Eyes you are able to hear the distant footsteps and whispers. Gives you shivers.

The signature is close to neutral. Bass goes low, mids stay controlled and highs do provide some nice detail. I did notice that depending on what I'm playing that the reverb takes a little long to diminish, giving away to a touch of congestion. I feel these are better suited for slower, less complex songs.

Build materials are quite premium. The Lyra Nature is a beautiful designed earbud. The grills on both sides of the housings are a work of art. The included MMCX cable also looks nice, though it is a little sticky and this can be a tad difficult to untangle at times.

Overall the Astrotec Lyra Nature is a great earbud. With its big Soundstage, great build and neutral playback.

P1120069.jpg

P1120054.jpg

P1120060.jpg

--

Jan 7, 2020 at 9:55 PM Post #46,735 of 75,203

Holy Soundstage Batman! I feel like the tuners asked how much distance do you want and the answer was just "Yes". Listening to these, I feel like my tiny town-home grew two sizes.

Such an airy and light playback flows which each song. It very much lives up to its name with a natural feel. Listening to Pink Floyd's - Paranoid Eyes you are able to hear the distant footsteps and whispers. Gives you shivers.

The signature is close to neutral. Bass goes low, mids stay controlled and highs do provide some nice detail. I did notice that depending on what I'm playing that the reverb takes a little long to diminish, giving away to a touch of congestion. I feel these are better suited for slower, less complex songs.

Build materials are quite premium. The Lyra Nature is a beautiful designed earbud. The grills on both sides of the housings are a work of art. The included MMCX cable also looks nice, though it is a little sticky and this can be a tad difficult to untangle at times.

Overall the Astrotec Lyra Nature is a great earbud. With its big Soundstage, great build and neutral playback.

P1120069.jpg

P1120054.jpg

P1120060.jpg

--
These folks didn't like their sound:

I don't suppose you've been able to measure them?

Jan 7, 2020 at 10:03 PM Post #46,736 of 75,203

P1120069.jpg

P1120054.jpg

P1120060.jpg

--

Do you have a caliper to measure the O.D. of them?

Jan 8, 2020 at 3:38 AM Post #46,737 of 75,203
Kind of a weird question - Are there any earbuds with an mmcx cable, that have a reassuring click when connecting the cable? My M1 Pro does this, and it's kind of a nice feature. I haven't discovered any others yet.

Jan 8, 2020 at 6:16 AM Post #46,739 of 75,203
These folks didn't like their sound:

I don't suppose you've been able to measure them?

I don't know if these earbuds change with burn-in. As of right now it has around 10-20hrs. The Turnadot seems to be at least a notch above the Nature (foam donut on the Nature and full foam on the Tu-dot). There is a price difference of $70 between the 2 though. Nature seems to have a mid-centric tuning, with a slightly toned down upper-mids and treble, and quite rolled-off on both ends. This gives the impression of a warm, thick, romantic, but a veiled presentation. In comparison, the Tu-dot is not as rolled-off on either ends, has the right amount of presence in the upper-mids and is more linear/neutral and transparent overall. Tu-dot also has better technical performance than the Nature, with a larger overall stage, and better separation and layering. For these reasons, it works for genres like rock, jazz and vocals, and doesn't work for genres like pop, synthetic, EDM, electro and orchestral.

Nature is not a bad earbud per se. I do like it for its completely smooth, forgiving and romantic sound. But I am not blown away.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back