Earbuds Round-Up
Oct 11, 2019 at 1:25 PM Post #45,332 of 75,339
Masya is one I've been trying to convince myself to buy. My main pause is if it will fit right. The other one I'm thinking about is Shozy BK.

I agree with Merkurio, there is too much to choose from.

I know, I actually bought my Masya from someone who was unable to get a fit. Luckily I had already tried the one belonging to my husband so I knew that it would fit me.

Oct 11, 2019 at 3:13 PM Post #45,333 of 75,339
Donut foam wasnt enough and also a little bright. I used donut on the inside and full foam on the outside and it's better, but I've resorted to doing two laters of a thinner foam I had from other ear buds and that seems to help out a lot. I may try to buy some silicone rings for ear buds and try that out, but only source seems to be in China via Aliexpress and I'd like to try it out before my 30 day return window expires. :frowning2:

Maybe I'll see if I can find a rubber gasket or o-ring haha.

That said, a small boost to the sub-bass region via EQ seems to help out a lot for me.
If you can purchase the 1mm double sided tape from aliexpress you could attach a cut out layer of thinner but dense full foam to the front face of the driver cover (think of it as a headphone tuning foam disk) and then apply a full or donut foam on top.

This way you get more treble reduction without sacrificing the fit of using too large a diameter with double foams.

I personally think adding too much foam can compromise the seal and effect the bass and mids but that would depend on the individuals ear anatomy.

Oct 11, 2019 at 7:37 PM Post #45,334 of 75,339
Masya is one I've been trying to convince myself to buy. My main pause is if it will fit right. The other one I'm thinking about is Shozy BK.

I agree with Merkurio, there is too much to choose from.

On the other side, the ST-10 caught my attention, but I vastly prefer the traditional cable placement downwards instead of behind the ear (not because comfort issues, but for convenience and quick placement).

Any other options?

As I said before, cost is no object.

Oct 11, 2019 at 9:11 PM Post #45,335 of 75,339
If cost is no option, I wonder how the Simphonio Dragons 2+ hold up to 2019 models. Amazing sound stage and mids, but non fatiguing highs.

But that soundstage is its strong point.

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2019 at 9:34 PM Post #45,336 of 75,339
On the other side, the ST-10 caught my attention, but I vastly prefer the traditional cable placement downwards instead of behind the ear (not because comfort issues, but for convenience and quick placement).

Any other options?

Rose Masya Mk2 (for some unknown reason known as the Rose Masya Pro) is a superior bud.

Oct 11, 2019 at 9:53 PM Post #45,337 of 75,339
Thanks for your kind response!

Actually the KSC75 was one of my favorite audio experiences because the sound quality and comfort, even after tried and bought a much more expensive gear.

I listen a wide variety of generes, from classical, jazz and ambient to hip-hop, rock and electronic, so I'm looking for something all-rounder with nice extension in both ends and good resolution. I know bass response on earbuds will never be the same as IEMs or headphones, but a well presented bass response would be preferable, along with clear and detailed treble without harshness.

I'm open to suggestions, but I need a good starting point in this sea of options!

Any other options?

you could always use the ST-10 downward by swapping the left and right unit. i don't know about the ST-10 sound though..haven't heard it. if the KSC75 is your preference, try the Edifier H185 first, it's inexpensive and have similar sound. if price is no object, the Liebesleid and the SWD2+ are also similar to the KSC75, but in my opinion with much better SQ and resolution.

Oct 11, 2019 at 10:02 PM Post #45,338 of 75,339
Oct 12, 2019 at 6:28 AM Post #45,339 of 75,339
Thank you all for your recommendations!

Reading the thread from top to bottom, I found that high impedance earbuds give a similar sound impression to open over-ears, which is precisely what I am looking for (since I will only use them at home, with my desktop amplifier).

How do those high impedance earbuds (Toneking TO600, K's K600, etc.) compare with the usual suspects you have been recommending me? (ST-10, Masya, etc.)

Oct 12, 2019 at 6:34 AM Post #45,340 of 75,339
I have K's K600 sounds closest to my Sennheiser HD650 and is in a normal monk type shell. I also have the Toneking TO600 and it is a fine earbud too which is a small metal shell but also worn down

Oct 12, 2019 at 9:50 AM Post #45,342 of 75,339
Thank you all for your recommendations!

Reading the thread from top to bottom, I found that high impedance earbuds give a similar sound impression to open over-ears, which is precisely what I am looking for (since I will only use them at home, with my desktop amplifier).

How do those high impedance earbuds (Toneking TO600, K's K600, etc.) compare with the usual suspects you have been recommending me? (ST-10, Masya, etc.)
I wouldn't rule out low impedance buds for that reason, there are many low impedance buds that present that way also.

It's just in some peoples experience that high impedance buds have a more flat frequency response but that's not always the case.

High impedance buds will obviously be a better choice for desk amps though or power enough portable amps.

If I was you i would keep an eye out on the new outart earbud to be released. The ti7 has the open, headphone-like presentation that you would be after but lacks in the bass impact.

If this new premium version is an upgrade on the TI7/ACG it will be a huge hit.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/earbuds-round-up.441400/page-2958#post-15161957

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2019 at 10:01 AM Post #45,343 of 75,339
Has anyone tried the OURART QJ21? I would like to know how earbuds of more than 200€ sound. Will it have a good low area or will it be in the line of their little brothers?
Impatiently awaiting for clieOS' verdict on this one when he gets it.

If it solves the low end and keeps the ti7 mids quality with just a bit more treble it will be a legend!

Oct 12, 2019 at 1:31 PM Post #45,344 of 75,339
Impatiently awaiting for clieOS' verdict on this one when he gets it.

If it solves the low end and keeps the ti7 mids quality with just a bit more treble it will be a legend!

Hopefully I'll get mine by the end of next week, otherwise it will be the following week. :fingers_crossed:

Oct 12, 2019 at 1:54 PM Post #45,345 of 75,339

after Willy sent me a couple of prototypes for his new lineup (MK32 SPE, MK150, and MK300), i like his new tuning so much that i asked him would it be possible to upgrade my current Willsounds to be tuned like the new lineup. so he upgraded my old 300ohm to the new MK300's sound, also my MK1 and MK3 with the MK32' SPEs tuning. it's still slightly different than the market MK32 SPE, because that one has a new driver, while my units still use the old MK1 and MK3 drivers.. but the upgrade in sound is so noticable.

his tuning really matures a lot, his current lineup are even better than the already great older ones. the most noticable improvement is deeper bass response on the new MK300, better separation and finer mids/treble grain on the MK32, and also better depth of field/better Z axis soundstage for all of them compared to the old versions

20191012_193053.jpg
Mk1 8 braids. Mk2 standard and Mk2 mmcx
I ended up buying the new mk2 NV on Rholupat as it s the signature i prefer from the mk lineup. Mk2 NV is described as flat natural and brighter on the site. (Never tried mk3).
From your description i wonder if i should not have better bought the mk32. But i wonder if mk32 signature is more similar to the mk1 signature.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back