Earbuds Round-Up
Oct 10, 2019 at 10:49 AM Post #45,317 of 75,276
Who can tell me about Ann N200? is it really good sound with bass or is it just a rare earphone for collectors

Oct 10, 2019 at 11:10 AM Post #45,318 of 75,276
Who can tell me about Ann N200? is it really good sound with bass or is it just a rare earphone for collectors
To me it sounds very warm and mid-centric, with a lot of roll-off on bass and treble.
Detail is actually fine, but the extremely warm tuning will definitely put a lot of people off especially while A-B'ing with something V-shaped like Sabia V6, which is tonally the opposite.
So for that reason it sounds like there is less detail, because more treble = more detail for a lot of people, which is not the case.

With the right recording or after some 'brain burn-in' it becomes a VERY smooth sound that simply can't fatigue. Unlike other warm tunings, this doesn't have bloated mid-bass, which is very refreshing.
For this reason it works very well with treble-hot acoustic recordings when you just want to relax and not have all the 'details' forced directly into your brain.
That's why I like it for office use, as I can just wear them all day without ever feeling fatigued.
I couldn't use these outdoors though. The lack of bass and treble becomes too vast with outside noise.

You can almost totally forget about using these for Pop and Electronic, ... bass just doesn't have the same satisfying deep-thunder we've come to expect from other buds.
But if you're using it for a while and your brain is adjusted to them, the bass doesn't sound too lacking, just soft, but still layered enough ... only when you go back to other buds you will realize what was missing below 100hz.

If the details weren't as good as they are, I would say that they're worse than most vintage buds, but I think it still holds it's own in a special niche that probably isn't for everyone.

Oct 10, 2019 at 11:58 AM Post #45,319 of 75,276
Can somebody compare Faaeal Z-sound to Qian39 for example? I'd like a small bassy earbud which fits and isolates well, similar to Qian39. For listening to podcasts etc. while walking on the street. Might as well try the Faaeal but only if it has good not recessed mids and smooth highs. thanks

Oct 10, 2019 at 1:26 PM Post #45,320 of 75,276
I opened up the B40. It has a modified PK shell, it's actually different from the SR2. The biggest difference is that B40 is deeper, it has quite extended edge where the front cover snaps on. The curves are slightly different too, B40 is slightly fatter curvier and the plastic feels higher quality. Actually I tried to put SR2 driver in B40 shell and vice versa, they are not really compatible with each other. The driver is still 14.8mm I think but the front covers are very different from each other in terms of fit. B40 can't accept regular thin 14.8mm drivers like SR2 but mx500 ones are too large so I didn't have anything that could fit on that shell or could accept the b40 drivers either.

Thanks for the confirmation, it is proven then that the construction of the B40 is enhanced with a solid capsule.

Oct 10, 2019 at 7:06 PM Post #45,322 of 75,276
Hello everyone!

I've been reading this thread for a long time and I even wrote once, but this time I would like to ask for a recommendation, since I see a universe of brands and models, such as in the world of IEMs/headphones.

I'm a guy of IEMs and over-ears, but for some reason I don't end up being comfortable with either (IEMs because of deep insertion and over-ears headphones for the clamping force and heat generated in the ears and headband).

I was thinking that earbuds could be an alternative for me, but I need a solid starting point to be able to make a decision. The budget is no problem and I would use them exclusively at home with my desktop DAC/AMP (Topping DX3 Pro), so I'm only looking for the best possible sound quality with durable construction and excellent comfort.

Could you please guide me?

Thanks in advance!

How about the K's K600?

Oct 10, 2019 at 7:50 PM Post #45,323 of 75,276
Hello everyone!

I've been reading this thread for a long time and I even wrote once, but this time I would like to ask for a recommendation, since I see a universe of brands and models, such as in the world of IEMs/headphones.

I'm a guy of IEMs and over-ears, but for some reason I don't end up being comfortable with either (IEMs because of deep insertion and over-ears headphones for the clamping force and heat generated in the ears and headband).

I was thinking that earbuds could be an alternative for me, but I need a solid starting point to be able to make a decision. The budget is no problem and I would use them exclusively at home with my desktop DAC/AMP (Topping DX3 Pro), so I'm only looking for the best possible sound quality with durable construction and excellent comfort.

Could you please guide me?

Thanks in advance!

I can understand your dislike of IEMs, and the closed hot feeling of over ear headphones, that's why I mostly use earbuds and some lightweight on ears like the Porta Pro's.

For comfort, it's quite subjective as to what size or style shells would suit you as it can vary based on ear size/shape. That's where the budget earbuds are really handy as you can try out the different styles, sizes to see what you find comfortable.

It will give you a reference point to some different sound signatures as well... and some are surprisingly decent.

Also, to help people help you, it may be worth giving a bit more info on your sound preferences and what kind of music you generally listen to.

Oct 10, 2019 at 8:21 PM Post #45,324 of 75,276
I wasn't getting a good seal with my beloved Svara L's (32 ohms), and they were teasing me with their greatness when I would hold them in my ears.

I then found some rubber rings that I had lying around and threw them on:

20191010_171031_resized.jpg

The rings, combined with wearing them "down", results in a very good seal and much auditory goodness.

Tomorrow night I'm seeing Steve Hackett (original guitarist in Genesis) perform the album Selling England By The Pound (one of my favorite albums of all time). Right now I am getting psyched by listening to the original with my new-found Svara L's :)

Oct 10, 2019 at 9:25 PM Post #45,325 of 75,276
Oct 11, 2019 at 1:43 AM Post #45,326 of 75,276
I can understand your dislike of IEMs, and the closed hot feeling of over ear headphones, that's why I mostly use earbuds and some lightweight on ears like the Porta Pro's.

For comfort, it's quite subjective as to what size or style shells would suit you as it can vary based on ear size/shape. That's where the budget earbuds are really handy as you can try out the different styles, sizes to see what you find comfortable.

It will give you a reference point to some different sound signatures as well... and some are surprisingly decent.

Also, to help people help you, it may be worth giving a bit more info on your sound preferences and what kind of music you generally listen to.

Thanks for your kind response!

Actually the KSC75 was one of my favorite audio experiences because the sound quality and comfort, even after tried and bought a much more expensive gear.

I listen a wide variety of generes, from classical, jazz and ambient to hip-hop, rock and electronic, so I'm looking for something all-rounder with nice extension in both ends and good resolution. I know bass response on earbuds will never be the same as IEMs or headphones, but a well presented bass response would be preferable, along with clear and detailed treble without harshness.

I'm open to suggestions, but I need a good starting point in this sea of options!

Oct 11, 2019 at 10:09 AM Post #45,327 of 75,276
Who has a Zeva Superfire or listened to what it sound like?

Oct 11, 2019 at 11:59 AM Post #45,328 of 75,276
I listen a wide variety of generes, from classical, jazz and ambient to hip-hop, rock and electronic, so I'm looking for something all-rounder with nice extension in both ends and good resolution. I know bass response on earbuds will never be the same as IEMs or headphones, but a well presented bass response would be preferable, along with clear and detailed treble without harshness.

I'm open to suggestions, but I need a good starting point in this sea of options!

ST-10

Users who are viewing this thread

Back