Earbuds Round-Up
Aug 23, 2019 at 8:59 AM Post #44,176 of 75,297
Aug 23, 2019 at 9:31 AM Post #44,177 of 75,297
I ordered PK2 32ohms for my VR headset (Rift S) from this listing:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32801646835.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.2e444c4dY3B7NP

I got the ones with the curved plug. 2 questions:

1. Should I have grabbed the 16ohm version instead of the 32? I got 32 because my ATH AD700's are 32 but I feel like I would have been fine with 16.

2. Is the seller reliable/are these knockoffs or fakes?

Thanks

There are three different drivers used in that listing. The one you got is the PK2 driver. The 16 ohm one is the SR2 driver. The 150 ohm is something else. All will sound different and to be honest, I think all will sound good. We have the ones with the SR2 drivers and love them.. but they do need a lot of burn in.

That is a good store... it is where my husband @HungryPanda buys a lot of his supplies for making his own buds (which are excellent... but just a hobby for us... not for sale). He has made buds for us using the 32 ohm PK drivers from that store and they are excellent. He has also used the 150ohm drivers and those buds turned out well also.

I think you will be happy,.... but I foresee others in your future as well:)

Not a knock off or fake. DIY means that he made them himself.. or had someone do it. It is his creation... so not meant to be a fake of anything. He uses good drivers and tunes them to sound good to him... and hopefully to his customers.

Aug 23, 2019 at 11:28 AM Post #44,178 of 75,297
There are three different drivers used in that listing. The one you got is the PK2 driver. The 16 ohm one is the SR2 driver. The 150 ohm is something else. All will sound different and to be honest, I think all will sound good. We have the ones with the SR2 drivers and love them.. but they do need a lot of burn in.

That is a good store... it is where my husband @HungryPanda buys a lot of his supplies for making his own buds (which are excellent... but just a hobby for us... not for sale). He has made buds for us using the 32 ohm PK drivers from that store and they are excellent. He has also used the 150ohm drivers and those buds turned out well also.

Not a knock off or fake. DIY means that he made them himself.. or had someone do it. It is his creation... so not meant to be a fake of anything. He uses good drivers and tunes them to sound good to him... and hopefully to his customers.

Thanks a lot for the reply! Glad to hear I am getting the real thing. My main concern now is that the VR headset I am plugging it into doesn't have the power to drive 32ohm headphones properly. I'm not too familiar with this topic so for all I know things will be fine. Any ideas?

Aug 23, 2019 at 11:35 AM Post #44,179 of 75,297
Thanks a lot for the reply! Glad to hear I am getting the real thing. My main concern now is that the VR headset I am plugging it into doesn't have the power to drive 32ohm headphones properly. I'm not too familiar with this topic so for all I know things will be fine. Any ideas?

I personally know nothing about that. I just listen to music using my desktop system or a DAp.

Aug 23, 2019 at 12:15 PM Post #44,180 of 75,297
I echo your sentiments about home hifi speakers. I miss my Totem Model 1's also. But I DON'T miss all the trouble (and expense) it used to take to set them up correctly and to have them sound good whenever I moved into a new place. Room acoustics and room treatments to accommodate them were a frustrating, cumbersome and expensive pain in the butt! I'm so much happier to have found headphones, iems, and earbuds; to satisfy my desire for good sound. The cost of swapping tips, earpads or cables is minuscule compared to buying new rugs, drapes, speaker stands, acoustic panels, etc, etc...just to maintain the SQ of my home audio system. For the amount of $ I spend just to modify the listening space in my dwellings over the years I owned one, I could now own a bunch of TOTL iems, earbuds, daps, hundreds of tips and cables. I'm happy with how far personal audio has come...and I personally don't care to own a home system anymore.

Wow, you were hardcore! I can see how that would have been frustrating.

Aug 23, 2019 at 1:17 PM Post #44,181 of 75,297

I just got a Yuin PK2. It is a 16ohm driver, confirmed with my multimeter.

The Yuin listings on penon are this:
PK1 = 150ohm
PK2 = 16ohm
PK3 = 32ohm

Aug 24, 2019 at 12:05 AM Post #44,183 of 75,297
Aug 24, 2019 at 12:39 AM Post #44,184 of 75,297
I had a second set of speakers in the kitchen so the house was filled with music. I did not change my rugs or get acoustic panels. I had a normal family living room that just happened to have a nice enough set up for me. It was all about discovering new music then... not nitpicking about gear or impulse buying too much stuff.

I had a separate 5.1 system in the tv room. We do have a nice 5.1 system in the living room here but we mainly use it for movies and tv shows. ... and youtube videos... lol. We often discover new music when we hear them on tv or in a movie.
You are lucky, then. My Audiophilia and OCD with regards to it, got to me, with the more knowledge I gained over my 40 year audio journey. I'm happy to have ditched that a bit. With headphones or iems, the room gets taken out of the equation; which for me, results in more simplicity. I did discover something today, though. I just received and had a chance tonight to listen to my new RY4S MMCX PLUS 32 OHM earbuds. They sound potential is great with them, but I can't get them to stop falling out of my ears with the supplied foam covers. I burned them in for about 3.5 hours with music, and tried to listen to them for about an hour afterwards, but I don't like that they don't seal as well as my iems. Took them out, and swapped in my NX7's. Now...I'm having fun!

Aug 24, 2019 at 1:35 AM Post #44,185 of 75,297
Wow, you were hardcore! I can see how that would have been frustrating.
I started my audio journey when I was 12 years old. I was always into music, but I wanted something more than the old console furniture stereos that my grandparents and mom thought were the crap, back then. At the age of 11, a buddy showed me a system at a hifi store that his dad was buying him for a graduation gift. Old japfi system from Kenwood, I think. Turntable, integrated amp, cassette deck/recorder, tuner and speakers. I was blown away and knew I wanted something like this...but being the child of a single mother, I could never have asked for such an expensive gift. As my 12th birthday approached, my mom asked me what I wanted for my birthday...I told her I wanted a job. Just after, I landed a paper route with a major Canadian daily publication. Within 6 months, I had secured 5 routes (all highrise apartments) and 2 years later, at age 14, I bought an all JVC hifi system for $850 (plus a cabinet and delivery charge)...cash. Pretty impressive feat, for a 14 year old kid in the 80's. Three weeks later, the upgrade bug bit me, and I traded in my JVC turntable for a Dual CS608 direct drive table, with an Ortofon cartridge. A month later, I bought a better tuner. After that, I traded up the amp for a Harman Kardon high current integrated amp (PM340). My biggest regret was selling that thing. I even paid to have it's speaker binding posts upgraded to 5 way, which accepted banana plugs, or even spades. A month after, I bought a Nakamichi BX150 cassette deck, so I could record my albums to use on my Sony Walkman portable player. It only went uphill for my after that. By the time I ended up selling off all my gear on Ebay in 2005, I had a system that was $10,000 CDN...and it sounded like crap in my 1 bedroom apartment after I separated from my wife. I ended up taking a loss (only got about $3600 total, for everything) but that's when I began delving into personal audio. I just began to get back into the hobby in the past year or so, but it's shocking how good even less expensive stuff sounds these days.

Aug 24, 2019 at 4:47 AM Post #44,186 of 75,297
Can anyone recommend some good earphones with mmcx connectors? Looking for a balanced sound, I prefer vocals over bass heavy tuning. Budget around $20usd or under would be nice but happy to hear all suggestions. I've never had a set of earbuds before other than the old 2007 iPod ones back in the day..

Thanks so much!

Aug 24, 2019 at 5:32 AM Post #44,190 of 75,297
I bought the Plus version. Any recs on some big foam covers that will help keep them in my ears? I'm certain that they can live up to their sound potential, but I can't get them to stay seated in my ears. Same problem I've had with buds for the past 30+years. It's why I tend to like iems more. I can't do hang down buds like this, without them coming out. Iems with an over ear cable and foam tips, work much better for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back