Earbuds Round-Up
Apr 17, 2019 at 2:25 PM Post #41,446 of 75,288
I think Smabat applied for some patents ... maybe ST-10 is a unique design.

pattern.jpg

*picture originated from an unboxing video.

Apr 17, 2019 at 2:29 PM Post #41,447 of 75,288
I think Smabat applied for some patents ... maybe ST-10 is a unique design.

The St-10 is the same form factor as the Savara - L. Very well built and comfortable.

Apr 17, 2019 at 2:34 PM Post #41,448 of 75,288
I get listeners fatigue very easily. One of the most important things for me to know is if a certain bud, iem or headphone will be suitable for long term late night listening. Often I will start listening to music and end up listening to several albums in a row. What you are trying to do tells me nothing about enjoyment. Graphs tell me nothing about tonality which is also important to me. If a cello does not sound like a cello... what is the point? If Leonard Cohen does not sound like Leonard Cohen then, again, what is the point?

As for signature, I can enjoy many signatures. Nothing wrong with that. I just get into the music with whatever is in my ears. Obviously the bud cannot be bad or that will not happen.

I think that sometimes people agonize too much over the decision. Just buy something that seems generally like that is in your budget and enjoy your music.

One reason I have so much stuff is not because I was dissatisfied and looking for better.... I just get curious when people talk about new products. Plus some buds look really cool. Another reason I have so much stuff is because... .Headfi :)

Ok, so if we use your example of "if a cello doesn't sound like a cello, what's the point?". Well, that is a very good point.....but you might listen to headphone X, and the particular instrument might not sound quite like a cello to you, but then another person who has spent a lot of time with those headphones and have acclimated to them might very well hear the instrument as a cello. So in that case, who is right?
So for personal experiences, then I say hell yeah long term testing is the way to go...but once we get to a point when you try to convey the sound of a particular headphone to another person, it becomes really difficult if both of you are not at the same stage of brain burn in for that headphone.
There's absolutely nothing wrong with how you are doing things, because you're doing it for personal reasons.
In my case it's vastly different as I need to try and give someone who is looking at buying a particular product a realistic expectation of what that product is going to sound like when they hear it for the first time. Of course I can't account for whatever signature they prefer or have become accustomed to, so the closest I can get is to try and exclude me own preferences and reset my hearing :)

Oh, just to add. You said "What you are trying to do tells me nothing about enjoyment".
Well, that's impossible for anyone to do really as "enjoyment" is subjective. Neither I nor anyone else can tell you with any certainty that you will enjoy a particular headphone any more than what I can tell you that you will enjoy a particular type of food.
But what we can do is describe how one set of headphones sound relative to another.

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2019 at 4:14 PM Post #41,451 of 75,288
Good news, Rosemary’s came in yesterday, and I’m very happy with them, finally get to use the high gain on my q5. Bad news, I think my last willsound order has gone missing :frowning2: it’s been in transit since feb 28.

I hope they turn up. I know sometimes things take a long time in Canada.

The Rosemary's are great. FAAEAL makes really good buds.

Apr 17, 2019 at 4:49 PM Post #41,453 of 75,288
Thanks for the good wishes, I’m still hoping your first set of orange kubes show up :wink:

They arrived in the country on January 30th! Luckily the other package that arrived at the same time and had three buds in it did make it to my house. That one had my purple kube, my Kube2 and my husbands blue kube. I have since safely received two orange kubes- one for me and one for my husband. a white kube for em and two ANN 200. Also another package containing two Sabia Pearls. The seller and I are both thinking that maybe the package with just the one orange kube was too little and slipped through the cracks somewhere. Of course I do not expect him to replace it... it was the Royal Mails fault... not his.. not mine.

edit... can't forget the FAAEAL Earbud Original Batch bud that I also got from him.. that was in one of the packages that arrived. A lot of exciting deliveries.

Now to have a good listen with the Smabat!

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2019 at 5:02 PM Post #41,454 of 75,288
They arrived in the country on January 30th! Luckily the other package that arrived at the same time and had three buds in it did make it to my house. That one had my purple kube, my Kube2 and my husbands blue kube. I have since safely received two orange kubes- one for me and one for my husband. a white kube for em and two ANN 200. Also another package containing two Sabia Pearls. The seller and I are both thinking that maybe the package with just the one orange kube was too little and slipped through the cracks somewhere. Of course I do not expect him to replace it... it was the Royal Mails fault... not his.. not mine.

If jultoptau likes you a lot, I wouldn't be surprised! :)

edit... can't forget the FAAEAL Earbud Original Batch bud that I also got from him.. that was in one of the packages that arrived. A lot of exciting deliveries.

They are pretty good as well! Got to dig mine out.

Now to have a good listen with the Smabat!

Not jealous at all!

Apr 17, 2019 at 5:06 PM Post #41,455 of 75,288
If jultoptau likes you a lot, I wouldn't be surprised! :)

I ordered and received another.with other things that I ordered. So I do have one. If the first one ever turns up I will have a spare.

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2019 at 7:20 PM Post #41,456 of 75,288
Upon public request is my colleague Dr. Schweinsgruber unboxing two new and interesting earbuds: the ISN Audio Rambo and the Smabat ST-10. Warning: unboxing is generally really boring -- please ignore these two video clips, and please don't blame me for anything, you do this at your own risk.

IMG_0380.jpeg IMG_0428.jpeg

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2019 at 8:21 PM Post #41,457 of 75,288
Since you have both Svara-L and Smabat, did you notice any physical difference between the two (aside from the logo)?

I remember Svara was once rebranded as Escape. I can't help but to wonder if this is another rebranding exercise? Also, I am curious to know if they all share the same maze-shaped acoustic cavity.

The 'escape' branding isn't the idea from the maker of Svara / Smabat, that's the idea of the Aliexpress reseller - they often like to take existing Chinese earphone and rebranded them to their own name in order to differentiate their goods from other Ali seller (who sold the same thing).Sometime it is done to differentiate the same product for domestic / oversea market.

Regardless - Svara-L (and -M) does not have the maze design as the design has not been completed when Svara series was first released. They have an acoustic chamber but it is not a maze. The first maze design was used on the fairly short lived Svara Pro, then further refined on the Smabat ST-10 (*the internal isn't exact the same). Neither Svara nor Smabat are rebranded as they are by the same guy. When he was making Svara, he was also working full time for another headphone maker so Svara is more or less a personal side business . Now he opens up his own company and thus using the new name of Smabat.

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2019 at 10:16 PM Post #41,460 of 75,288
The 'escape' branding isn't the idea from the maker of Svara / Smabat, that's the idea of the Aliexpress reseller - they often like to take existing Chinese earphone and rebranded them to their own name in order to differentiate their goods from other Ali seller (who sold the same thing).Sometime it is done to differentiate the same product for domestic / oversea market.

Regardless - Svara-L (and -M) does not have the maze design as the design has not been completed when Svara series was first released. They have an acoustic chamber but it is not a maze. The first maze design was used on the fairly short lived Svara Pro, then further refined on the Smabat ST-10 (*the internal isn't exact the same). Neither Svara nor Smabat are rebranded as they are by the same guy. When he was making Svara, he was also working full time for another headphone maker so Svara is more or less a personal side business . Now he opens up his own company and thus using the new name of Smabat.

In one of the images regarding the ST-10, a Transmission Line speaker enclosure is shown. I've built Transmission Line loudspeakers, and know that for low frequencies, the line has to be longer than what would fit inside an earbud backshell.
A traditional Transmission Line is designed to have a length that's 1/4 of the resonant frequency of the bass driver. If you're going for 20Hz, then the length of the line would be 14-ft.
email-flier-table.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back