Earbuds Round-Up
Apr 12, 2019 at 5:06 PM Post #41,342 of 75,287
My RW-9 arrived today. I don't know if someone already mentioned this but it now comes with a different kind of a leather (zip) pouch.

QYyOoG5S_o.jpg

Looks like a more "real world use-able" pouch actually...

Apr 12, 2019 at 6:25 PM Post #41,343 of 75,287
Hey folks. Thinking about delving into this world. How is the Masya for acoustic/vocal music? It looks enticing as it has detachable cables. But I've also heard that it's source dependent, and I would be running them out of my iPhone with the dongle (<1ohm OI)

Just FYI, my open reference is the HD600.

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2019 at 7:21 PM Post #41,345 of 75,287
The rose Masya is great for acoustic and vocal music for sure
My opinion of it still rests on the source used. It can sound overly thin and bright or wonderfully full and rich (and balanced!) depending on the source output impedance.

I guess technically you are messing with the frequency response by using a higher output impedance on a 12 (or 16?) ohm driver. But it makes all the difference for me when it comes to the Masya.

Apr 12, 2019 at 10:18 PM Post #41,346 of 75,287
Could people with Smabat ST-10 comment on what to expect from the fit, say compared with MX500 and Yuin PK shells?
There was discussion about the fit here: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/earbuds-round-up.441400/page-2426 (it was Svara L, but I believe the shells are perfectly same).

To me it's closer to PK shells than to MX, and they are quite thin. There's also a set of silicon covers (and some foams) in the box if the buds are too small for your ears. Also, the over-ear design helps them sit comfortably (haven't tried them with cable down).

Apr 12, 2019 at 11:15 PM Post #41,347 of 75,287
To me it's closer to PK shells than to MX, and they are quite thin. There's also a set of silicon covers (and some foams) in the box if the buds are too small for your ears. Also, the over-ear design helps them sit comfortably (haven't tried them with cable down).

Very nice. Another point in their favor for me as I find the PK shell slightly more comfortable than the MX.

What's your initial impression of them? How do would you compare them to the EBX & ACG? I was considering the EBX and have the ACG.

Apr 13, 2019 at 12:20 AM Post #41,348 of 75,287
Hello. Need suggestions for an earbud with warm tonality, lively mids and extended but rounded highs. Hate sibilance. Budget 50-60usd. Prefer aliexpress or sites that accept credit card and would ship to Bangladesh.
Also, does the ve asura match this profile? Please let me know.

Thanks in advanced.

Edit- tagging @ClieOS & @HungryPanda please suggest some.

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2019 at 1:15 AM Post #41,349 of 75,287
Very nice. Another point in their favor for me as I find the PK shell slightly more comfortable than the MX.

What's your initial impression of them? How do would you compare them to the EBX & ACG? I was considering the EBX and have the ACG.
Initial impression, nothing's bad, like, things are on their place with the right amount; I am not noticing any dips or peaks. Overall, tight / punchy, bit dry but with warmth. The warmth came from the vents. If I block the vents, the bass are there but they have no decay. So, the bass port design does work.

It's still not ACG-with-bass tho. Imaging and transparency are pretty good but still not on the same level as the ACG, but better than EBX. You'll get some decent amount of bass; still not at the same quality of decent IEMs.

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2019 at 4:41 AM Post #41,351 of 75,287
I do recommend using either full foam or donut foam with ST-10. As the bass quantity is fairly neutral, you need some seal to get the full effect on how deep it goes.

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2019 at 7:09 AM Post #41,352 of 75,287
This tread is overwhelming. I'm looking to get a set of earbuds. I want to start around ~10USD. I plan to pair with a Zishan Z3. I tend to enjoy a neutral sound. I currently have SHP9500s that I love but need something more mobile.

Trying to decide between these:
Snow Lotus 1.0 64 ohm
EMX500
EMX500S
RY4S

Something else? I'm lost in the 2K pages of this tread.. Half the new suggestions aren't for sale atm. Help!

Apr 13, 2019 at 11:13 AM Post #41,354 of 75,287
Ry4s or EMX500s is a great start
As someone who only got into earbuds last year, I can confirm this, as the Ry4s was the earbud that opened my eyes (ears?) to how good earbuds can be. I bought 3 pairs of ~$10 buds up front that would all be good choices for a beginner, based on your preference:

Ry4s - great bass, wide soundstage, compromises a bit on detail and clarity in midrange
SL 1.0+ - extremely good mids, 3d soundstage, but also is not a very bright sounding signature, so can take some adjustment to get used to if you're coming from something with really elevated treble
EMX500s - bit of an all rounder that falls somewhere in the middle of the two mentioned above, jack of all trades but master of none

Also if you're willing to stretch your budget a bit, I'd recommend the Yincrow RW-9, since it frequently can be had for about $17. It is a slight tier above all of those 3, imo.

Apr 13, 2019 at 12:02 PM Post #41,355 of 75,287
Hello. Need suggestions for an earbud with warm tonality, lively mids and extended but rounded highs. Hate sibilance. Budget 50-60usd. Prefer aliexpress or sites that accept credit card and would ship to Bangladesh.
Also, does the ve asura match this profile? Please let me know.

Thanks in advanced.

Edit- tagging @ClieOS & @HungryPanda please suggest some.

It won't surprise anyone here, but I suggest the Yincrow RW9's

Ry4s or EMX500s is a great start

And if he/she is smart, it will be a great end! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back