Earbuds Round-Up
Mar 28, 2019 at 5:24 AM Post #41,026 of 75,283
Hi guys.

I have the Willsound MK3 final (love it) but all the talk about the RY4S UE (and SL+ CE) is making me reconsider my current spending hiatus. :ksc75smile:

I guess my question is, is it not worth trying to get the RY4s because I already have the MK3 or are there enough differences in their sound that and that I should still get them?

I lean towards neutral to bright SS.​

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2019 at 5:32 AM Post #41,027 of 75,283
Hi guys.

mBQfTLC

2kyzSP8QdKpowNRo7

I have the Willsound MK3 final (love it) but all the talk about the RY4S UE (and SL+ CE) is making me reconsider my current spending hiatus. :ksc75smile:

I guess my question is, is it not worth trying to get the RY4s because I already have the MK3 or are there enough differences in their sound that and that I should still get them?

I lean towards neutral to bright SS.

I have the Willsound MK2 (love it), and was dissapointed by the RY4S UE. It definately is good for the price, but I feel that the Willsounds are better in every concievable way, especially the natural timber. That is what the RY4S lack.

Mar 28, 2019 at 6:00 AM Post #41,029 of 75,283
Wanna say thank you for every suggestion here..
I've decided to take EBX over the rest, hopefully i made good decision. EBX is on the way!

still i will keep an eye on willsound..

Mar 28, 2019 at 6:32 AM Post #41,030 of 75,283
I bought a bunch of low cost earbuds during the Sales on Ali :smile:
Special sales price + coupons well spent = 4x Vido + RW-9 + EMX500 + RY4s + Iris 1.0 type C + Lotus Snow 1.0 + for just 50€!
I don't expect any of them to rival my MK1 SE but I'll compare, maybe keep 1 or 2 I like and give the others away to friends & family.
So fun to buy on Ali :relaxed:

Mar 28, 2019 at 8:16 AM Post #41,031 of 75,283
If the sound is absolutely exceptional then I'll make allowances. But most 'TOTL' earbuds I've heard are decidedly NOT exceptional in all regards, at least not in stock form, and thus the cheap build quality becomes annoying.

Because you ask yourself, where did the money go into these earbuds?
I think I've got the idea which components made up the cost for these buds: mainly the drivers, and, high quality cables and probably genuine jacks. MX and PK shells are mass produced (most likely used for creating fakes) easily available and relatively cheap. And thanks to this, we have some respectable DIYers in (SE) Asia. But for Chinese earbuds makers, they should have better access to make custom shells as we can see at the IEM world: KZ ZSN feels premium for the price and BQEYZ have created unique shells for all their models. But well, I can guess that IEM market is significantly larger than earbuds (for now) so they could push the ROI point higher.

Mar 28, 2019 at 8:18 AM Post #41,032 of 75,283
Wanna say thank you for every suggestion here..
I've decided to take EBX over the rest, hopefully i made good decision. EBX is on the way!

still i will keep an eye on willsound..
I really hope that you'll enjoy them. If you are enjoying Tin Audio T2 and Kanas, it should be pretty familiar.

Mar 28, 2019 at 9:00 AM Post #41,033 of 75,283
I really hope that you'll enjoy them. If you are enjoying Tin Audio T2 and Kanas, it should be pretty familiar.

Thanks to you too buddy, yeah hopefully since i love my kanas pro as well as i was enjoying T2 before i have my KP :)

Mar 28, 2019 at 1:25 PM Post #41,034 of 75,283
MX and PK shells are mass produced ( most likely used for creating fakes) easily available and relatively cheap.
Fixed it.

MX500 and PK are all copies of the original shells from Sennheiser and Docomo, and dirt cheap. These shells can be purchased for pennies apiece. Actual mass production cost each is probably $0.01 or less.

Mar 28, 2019 at 1:37 PM Post #41,035 of 75,283
At the start of the AliExpress Sale, I ordered the Smabat ST-10 Earbuds from NiceHCK ($81.84, purchased with mobile app), and the K's 600 Earbuds ($79.01) from someplace else :wink: . I also ordered ~24 different 2.5mm / 3.5mm DIY cables, to use on Earbuds that I'm assembling.

Mar 28, 2019 at 1:40 PM Post #41,036 of 75,283
At the start of the AliExpress Sale, I ordered the Smabat ST-10 Earbuds from NiceHCK ($81.84, purchased with mobile app), and the K's 600 Earbuds ($79.01) from someplace else :wink: . I also ordered ~24 different 2.5mm / 3.5mm DIY cables, to use on Earbuds that I'm assembling.

Awesome! I was just looking at the Smabat's there, and marvelling at the slick marketing literature. But that translates to $110CAD. I need more money lol!

I'll be interested in how you feel the Svara L's compare.

And you're getting the K's 600... doubly awesome!

Mar 29, 2019 at 9:45 AM Post #41,040 of 75,283
I think I've got the idea which components made up the cost for these buds: mainly the drivers, and, high quality cables and probably genuine jacks. MX and PK shells are mass produced (most likely used for creating fakes) easily available and relatively cheap. And thanks to this, we have some respectable DIYers in (SE) Asia. But for Chinese earbuds makers, they should have better access to make custom shells as we can see at the IEM world: KZ ZSN feels premium for the price and BQEYZ have created unique shells for all their models. But well, I can guess that IEM market is significantly larger than earbuds (for now) so they could push the ROI point higher.
Honestly the cost is less then 1/10th of the sale price I believe.

I really dont believe any of these matierials are as expensive as you would believe.

Good tuning can get you so far, but if The drivers are the same as most others you will have similar levels of distortion and transients between TOTL and budget earbuds given the shell design is practically identical.

That's why I'm always more intrigued with drivers using alternative matierial and magnets because there is a good chance they are not generic drivers and thus may perform better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back