Earbuds Round-Up
Mar 26, 2019 at 9:34 AM Post #41,011 of 75,213
How does the ST-10 compare to the Liebesleid or the SWD2+? Too bad top tier buds don't have detachable cables (except for the Mojito), it kind of makes it hard to go short-wire on the ES100...

You were saying?

DSC_0170.jpg

I won't say ST-10 is technically better than any of the top-tier - mainly because each of the top-tier has done something particularly great that earn them a top spot in my heart. ST-10 on the other hand isn't really great in any one area, but the overall quality of every aspects is still superb. It doesn't have a great amount of bass but it reaches deep. It doesn't have the sweetest of mid but vocal is still well textured. It isn't the brightest but there are still plenty of detail. It doesn't have the biggest of soundstage but it is very well layered. All and all, ST-10 is just of of those earbud that does a lot of things right and very few things wrong.

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2019 at 2:54 PM Post #41,012 of 75,213
After not having listened to them in several weeks, I plugged the RY4S UE buds in last night and gave them a listen...and I think they are the best sounding buds I have. I was quite surprised at how full, open and balanced they are. Lately I'd been listening mostly to the Yincrow RW-9 and the SL 1.0se, both of which sound very good as well but just slightly more veiled and tame I think. The RY4SUE seems to me to have better bass and better treble extension while still having good mids. I'd actually say I don't find them to have a weakness really...

Mar 26, 2019 at 3:07 PM Post #41,013 of 75,213
Mar 26, 2019 at 3:14 PM Post #41,014 of 75,213
After not having listened to them in several weeks, I plugged the RY4S UE buds in last night and gave them a listen...and I think they are the best sounding buds I have. I was quite surprised at how full, open and balanced they are. Lately I'd been listening mostly to the Yincrow RW-9 and the SL 1.0se, both of which sound very good as well but just slightly more veiled and tame I think. The RY4SUE seems to me to have better bass and better treble extension while still having good mids. I'd actually say I don't find them to have a weakness really...
After experimenting with foams and doubling up I also agree. I find the separation, soundstage, and holographic qualities along with the clarity outstanding... Not quite as immersive as my Samsaras (which are a bit dark) but dare I say comparable (maybe 90-95% of the way there?).... I am also finding this with the Qian 69s as well... big holographic sound!!

Mar 26, 2019 at 3:41 PM Post #41,015 of 75,213

Today at work, I've been listening to my RY4S UE (using the VE Rubber Rings, rather than foams), connected to the Single-Ended output of my iBasso PB2 (OPA627AU op-amps), using my DP-X1 Line Out as the source.
With the rings, the low Bass is there, without any Mid-Bass hump (from using Donut Foams).
These are probably the best sub-$10 earbuds that I've heard.

Mar 26, 2019 at 8:28 PM Post #41,016 of 75,213
Mar 26, 2019 at 10:46 PM Post #41,017 of 75,213
sigh, just when I thought I was safe from the current sale of ST-10, you drop this nugget, lol

I suppose this is the correct shop for it?
https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?sp...02a8h&id=577640409892&ns=1&abbucket=16#detail

there's the Tenhz earbud too, but seems not available on aliexpress so no one here have them.

That's the official store. It is kinda sad that ZEVA doesn't get much love here because it is harder to get, but everyone of their earbuds I tried are just excellent price wise.

Mar 27, 2019 at 9:29 AM Post #41,018 of 75,213
Might be unpopular opinion. For $30 or less, I am fine with MX or PK shells. But it's just not quite right for me for things with $200 or $300 price tag to have the exact same shape as $10 products.

Mar 27, 2019 at 9:39 AM Post #41,019 of 75,213
Might be unpopular opinion. For $30 or less, I am fine with MX or PK shells. But it's just not quite right for me for things with $200 or $300 price tag to have the exact same shape as $10 products.

I know what you mean... even if they are the same shape I think the material should be more premium... like metal or resin

Mar 27, 2019 at 10:42 AM Post #41,020 of 75,213
If the sound is absolutely exceptional then I'll make allowances. But most 'TOTL' earbuds I've heard are decidedly NOT exceptional in all regards, at least not in stock form, and thus the cheap build quality becomes annoying.

Because you ask yourself, where did the money go into these earbuds?

Mar 27, 2019 at 10:42 AM Post #41,021 of 75,213

The RW-9's have been stuck in my ears pretty much since I got them, but due to your endorsement, I'll have to give the RY4S UE's some lovin'!

Mar 27, 2019 at 2:17 PM Post #41,023 of 75,213
Hello.

From my audio blog, I'm measuring the frequency response of all my headphones. IEMs are more or less, easy to measure. Where I have more problems is in the measurement of earbuds. I know that it is critical to fit the coupling parts with the microphone. For now I'm using a cheap one, the Dayton Audio iMM-6. I intend to buy the Veritas II later.
I also know that the most variable frequency range is the treble zone, depending on the distance the mic, this zone increases or decreases.

My graphs are here:

https://hiendportable.com/2019/03/02/respuestas-de-frecuencia/

I encourage you to take a critical look at it. If you have ideas on how to improve the coupling (it should be something conical) or if you have other ideas, they are welcome.

Here is an example of the ISN Rambo:

ISN-Rambo.png

Mar 27, 2019 at 2:30 PM Post #41,024 of 75,213
Hello.

From my audio blog, I'm measuring the frequency response of all my headphones. IEMs are more or less, easy to measure. Where I have more problems is in the measurement of earbuds. I know that it is critical to fit the coupling parts with the microphone. For now I'm using a cheap one, the Dayton Audio iMM-6. I intend to buy the Veritas II later.
I also know that the most variable frequency range is the treble zone, depending on the distance the mic, this zone increases or decreases.

My graphs are here:

https://hiendportable.com/2019/03/02/respuestas-de-frecuencia/

I encourage you to take a critical look at it. If you have ideas on how to improve the coupling (it should be something conical) or if you have other ideas, they are welcome.

Here is an example of the ISN Rambo:

ISN-Rambo.png
How long is your coupler? I've measured several IEMs on your list with the same mic and it seems like the entire graph beyond 1k is less prominent than it should be relative to the bass.

Mar 27, 2019 at 3:17 PM Post #41,025 of 75,213
The coupler measures 15mm from its end to the micro grid. When I insert IEMs, the distance to the mic is usually 5mm.
Actually the earbuds are further away from the grid, due to the use of an extra conical coupler.

As I said, I know that measurements, especially in mid and high frequencies, can vary depending on the distance to the microphone.

TFZ No.3 5mm vs 2mm.png

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back