Earbuds Round-Up
Mar 22, 2019 at 9:57 PM Post #40,951 of 75,710
@ClieOS

How is the ST-10 in the bass department. Does it reach deep and does it have impact/punch?

You liked the K's LBB and I agree that it has excellent qualities in the mids and treble for that price range, but the bass was just disappointing for me. Especially for a K's product. Wondering if the ST-10 has more presence than the LBB and if it can come close to the Willsound MK2 (slightly less is ok since that's got powerful bass).

Note that LBB or the Titanium Bell series are meant to be used with normal (non-thin) foam pad as they are tuned with foam in mind (*the maker even suggest double foam for those really want to get a solid low end). But you are right, they are not as bass-happy as their older siblings. ST-10's bass on the other hand is fairly neutral in quantity, but reaches down really deep. It has some of the cleanest deep bass I have ever heard on any earbuds, but it won't make any bass head smile as it is not really bass banging type of situation.

How's that Sony? Is the concept working? I assume that the bass is rolled-off to the point of no sub-bass.

This STH40D is actually quite decent overall. The fit is nice as it almost 'disappear' once you put it on and the SQ is decent enough for daily use, more of a lower-mid to mid-tier overall. For the main purpose of able to listen to the surrounding and music at the same time, I'll call this a win. This is far better than Ambie's (which is also a Sony spin-off) design on both ergonomics and SQ.

Mar 22, 2019 at 10:16 PM Post #40,953 of 75,710
Aliexpress don't, some sellers do.

Some are authentic deals and some are deceptive. That's why you should use a price checker to see price history. Google search for one, it helps to make informed purchases during the sale.

Thank you for the suggestions! The price checker is necessary to see what happens :)

Mar 22, 2019 at 10:35 PM Post #40,954 of 75,710
Yeah, I have both, mk2 wins in almost all aspects, eb2 sounds a bit clearer IMO, to be honest I prefer Mk1, one of my favorites

The MK1 rev2 is also one. of my favorites. I don't have the MK2 but I have listened to my husband's a couple of times.

Mid is relatively clear but laid back. Personally I feel that the mids are dominated by the bass on some tracks, but my preference is neutralish-bright.

EB2 overall is very similar to the EBX. It has less refined tuning and has noticable dip in the mids. Sub bass is also light.

So 3 of you prefer MK1 over MK2? what makes MK1 so special, i got asked the seller but the answer isnt really detail enough so i got confused, he only stated if you like bass go get MK2.

actually i prefer clarity, clear mids, mids are my preferences just like @mbwilson111 i listen to jazz, pop jazz, rock jazz, groove, blues, vocals. But i also dont want mids to be thin, got enough textured sub bass / mid bass without bleeds, not particularly must be very big in quantity but decent, not too light. and i just scared there are lack of bass because i used to iem. That is my preferences.
So am i better getting Mk1 or MK2 in this case?

Thank you so much for this extended questions really appreciate and you guys save my time and money!

Mar 23, 2019 at 1:40 AM Post #40,955 of 75,710
So 3 of you prefer MK1 over MK2? what makes MK1 so special, i got asked the seller but the answer isnt really detail enough so i got confused, he only stated if you like bass go get MK2.

actually i prefer clarity, clear mids, mids are my preferences just like @mbwilson111 i listen to jazz, pop jazz, rock jazz, groove, blues, vocals. But i also dont want mids to be thin, got enough textured sub bass / mid bass without bleeds, not particularly must be very big in quantity but decent, not too light. and i just scared there are lack of bass because i used to iem. That is my preferences.
So am i better getting Mk1 or MK2 in this case?

Thank you so much for this extended questions really appreciate and you guys save my time and money!

https://aftersoundblog.wordpress.co...son-english-vers-mk1-mk2-mk3-mk300-pk16-pk32/

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2019 at 9:13 AM Post #40,957 of 75,710
I don't really agree with this assesment of the mk2's midrange. The mids are not particularly warm or emphasised in the low mids like suggested here. Infact they are slightly subdued in contrast to the mid bass and sound slightly leaner in the low vocal region. The bass bleeds slightly into the mids but is still well defined, the actual midrange is recessed slightly but raises in the middle-upper mids to neutral levels so it's not too distant. He gives the treble a 6 without mentioning why, I've heard better treble than the mk2 but it's fairly neutral and pleasant overall.

But I guess everyone hears differently.

@DynamicEars

If I had to visualise the mk2 signature it would be like this

Capture+_2019-03-23-13-21-07.png

Sub bass: as neutral as it gets for earbuds, meaning it's got great sub bass compared to most of the competition.

Mid bass: detailed but slightly exaggerated. Punchy AF lol. But not obnoxious or too bloomy with the thin foams supplied.

Low mids: overshadowed by the big mid bass, slightly recessed.

Mid-high mids: neutralish, but abive the low mids and low treble slightly which makes them slightly agressive on detail

Treble: mostly balanced with a few dips and raises. I'd say the low treble dips ever so slightly to avoid harshness in the presence region, and it doesn't have much of a peak above 10khz to promote air. But it's clean and detailed overall. With the main body of the treble region being neutral and in balance with the mids.

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2019 at 10:20 AM Post #40,958 of 75,710

I don't really agree with this assesment of the mk2's midrange. The mids are not particularly warm or emphasised in the low mids like suggested here. Infact they are slightly subdued in contrast to the mid bass and sound slightly leaner in the low vocal region. The bass bleeds slightly into the mids but is still well defined, the actual midrange is recessed slightly but raises in the middle-upper mids to neutral levels so it's not too distant. He gives the treble a 6 without mentioning why, I've heard better treble than the mk2 but it's fairly neutral and pleasant overall.

@DynamicEars

Sub bass: as neutral as it gets for earbuds, meaning it's got great sub bass compared to most of the competition.

Mid bass: detailed but slightly exaggerated. Punchy AF lol. But not obnoxious or too bloomy with the thin foams supplied.

Mid-high mids: neutralish, but abive the low mids and low treble slightly which makes them slightly agressive on detail

Treble: mostly balanced with a few dips and raises. I'd say the low treble dips ever so slightly to avoid harshness in the presence region, and it doesn't have much of a peak above 10khz to promote air. But it's clean and detailed overall. With the main body of the treble region being neutral and in balance with the mids.

Thank you for these.. yeah actually i've already read that one since there is not so many review around about this willsound, but that review is a bit make me confuse which one got better mids
"...But yes compared to mk2 or mk3 it feels the vocal has taken a step backward resulting in a rather v shaped sound...." (MK1)
"...the vocal is bolder and more forward especially in the lower mid region while tehere’s a subtle rolloff around the upper mid to treble area that makes it sound full and somewhat laidback..." (MK2)

so is the vocal is recessed on MK1 but clearer? beacuse he said MK1 is best for vocal.

@seanc6441 Thank you for your explanation and handmade FR lol.. appreciate it that

Mar 23, 2019 at 10:26 AM Post #40,959 of 75,710
Thank you for these.. yeah actually i've already read that one since there is not so many review around about this willsound, but that review is a bit make me confuse which one got better mids
"...But yes compared to mk2 or mk3 it feels the vocal has taken a step backward resulting in a rather v shaped sound...." (MK1)
"...the vocal is bolder and more forward especially in the lower mid region while tehere’s a subtle rolloff around the upper mid to treble area that makes it sound full and somewhat laidback..." (MK2)

so is the vocal is recessed on MK1 but clearer? beacuse he said MK1 is best for vocal.

@seanc6441 Thank you for your explanation and handmade FR lol.. appreciate it that
I just wish I had the mk1 on hand to compare, but there's some inconsistency in that review.

Mar 23, 2019 at 11:13 AM Post #40,960 of 75,710
I wonder about that review that's been linked, is it on early versions of WillSounds? That could explain why some seem to disagree with it.

@DynamicEars

I agree with your description of the MK2 but keep in mind that I've only listened to the MMCX version and mostly with balanced cable. I agree that the mid bass can overpower the low mids but I've never found the low mids absent, just in the backseat if that makes sense. I guess that depends on your type of music maybe?

I'd say that the MK1 is quite similar but warmer and smoother. I read on Rholupat that the MK1 has more bass but I don't agree with that, I think they have similar bass but the MK2 is punchier. Willy also gave me the impression that the MK1 has more bass but he also hyped the MK1 a lot in general. It seems to be his favorite daily driver and I can totally understand that, it's got a smooth and confortable sound without being veiled. I've ended up using my MK1 on my computer where I mostly watch movies, play games and stuff like that and my MK2 with my ES100 where I mostly listen to music. They both do both jobs about as well though. To be honest they're both so close to me that it's hard to pick one over the other. MK2 is slightly more aggressive and maybe just a litle bit more detailed, MK1 is slightly smoother. If WillSound has a house sound they certainly both have it. Someone with a better ear might be able to say more but that's my take on it, you can't really go wrong here.

Mar 24, 2019 at 4:48 AM Post #40,961 of 75,710
I wonder about that review that's been linked, is it on early versions of WillSounds? That could explain why some seem to disagree with it.

I agree with your description of the MK2 but keep in mind that I've only listened to the MMCX version and mostly with balanced cable. I agree that the mid bass can overpower the low mids but I've never found the low mids absent, just in the backseat if that makes sense. I guess that depends on your type of music maybe?

I'd say that the MK1 is quite similar but warmer and smoother. I read on Rholupat that the MK1 has more bass but I don't agree with that, I think they have similar bass but the MK2 is punchier. Willy also gave me the impression that the MK1 has more bass but he also hyped the MK1 a lot in general. It seems to be his favorite daily driver and I can totally understand that, it's got a smooth and confortable sound without being veiled. I've ended up using my MK1 on my computer where I mostly watch movies, play games and stuff like that and my MK2 with my ES100 where I mostly listen to music. They both do both jobs about as well though. To be honest they're both so close to me that it's hard to pick one over the other. MK2 is slightly more aggressive and maybe just a litle bit more detailed, MK1 is slightly smoother. If WillSound has a house sound they certainly both have it. Someone with a better ear might be able to say more but that's my take on it, you can't really go wrong here.

that's pretty much it. i also prefer the MK2 because it is more detailed and more extended. the MK1 is (to my ears) smoother, and seems fatter because the midbass, but to me the MK2 has a deeper reach and more "slam" . my order of favorite willsounds based on most usage recently now are PK16 > MK2 or MK3 (tied) > MK1

Mar 24, 2019 at 4:53 AM Post #40,962 of 75,710
that's pretty much it. i also prefer the MK2 because it is more detailed and more extended. the MK1 is (to my ears) smoother, and seems fatter because the midbass, but to me the MK2 has a deeper reach and more "slam" . my order of favorite willsounds based on most usage recently now are PK16 > MK2 or MK3 (tied) > MK1

How would you compare the MK3 vs the MK2/MK1?

Mar 24, 2019 at 8:09 AM Post #40,964 of 75,710

@chinmie

Thank you for pointing this, that is exactly what i need, detail , clarity and extention to sub bass, deeper reach to low end.
So i think if im going pick willsound i will try with MK2 first.
but is EBX is huge increment over willsound MK2? there is an anniversary sale coming soon, EBX is on sale with a good price, should i just straight away take EBX or go with willsound?

i want clarity, details, sub bass that dig down deep, soundstage and imaging. quantity can be adjusted through EQ. Is the different price is justified to take EBX over MK2?

sorry for so many questions over this, even though im in this audio world for more than 10 years, but Im a newbie on earbuds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back