Earbuds Round-Up
Mar 15, 2019 at 4:12 PM Post #40,696 of 75,341
I am new to this and I don't have the knowledge to explain it. If this can be of any guidance, I mostly listen to electronic music, hip-hop and rock. I got 2 entry-level headphones about 6 months ago, the Hifiman HE4xx and the DT770 Pro 250 Ohms and I prefer the Hifiman. I think the hifiman are just more fun for the kind of music I listen to. I really really like the DT770 Pro too, they are really comfortable and the sound is really detailed. Another thing: now that I think about it, I don't like headphones that add too much bass, I really enjoy listening to cristal clear details in the music. I hope that helps. Thanks for the help!
You needn't worry about too much bass, earbuds don't really exceed neutral sub bass ever and only mid bass will be elevated on some units. Generally most earbuds are less bassy than their IEM or full size counter parts because of their open design/non sealing front volume.

For that reason I don't think you should dismiss earbuds classed as 'bassy' especially for the genres you mention. Because earbuds so roll off in the sub bass anyway. Most bass earbuds have mid bass emphasis and a slowly rolled off sub bass, other less bassy earbuds have excessive roll off below 100hz.

$30 (+ shipping) Willsound MK2 (you can opt for an MMCX version). Slightly mid bassy with good sub bass extension, good for modern music and has good detail and clear neutral highs.

It's a good starter earbud coming from IEMs as it performs well all round excelling in dynamics and good for EDM/pop and rock music.

I even modded mine to clean up the bass further, but thats an optional, advanced mod. It sounds very good stock too.

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2019 at 4:15 PM Post #40,697 of 75,341
I am new to this and I don't have the knowledge to explain it. If this can be of any guidance, I mostly listen to electronic music, hip-hop and rock. I got 2 entry-level headphones about 6 months ago, the Hifiman HE4xx and the DT770 Pro 250 Ohms and I prefer the Hifiman. I think the hifiman are just more fun for the kind of music I listen to. I really really like the DT770 Pro too, they are really comfortable and the sound is really detailed. Another thing: now that I think about it, I don't like headphones that add too much bass, I really enjoy listening to cristal clear details in the music. I hope that helps. Thanks for the help!

For hip hop, neo soul, and rnb, I currently am always reaching for the Sabia V6 pearl and Willsound mk2 with VJC cable. Both provide a nice bass thump with vocal clarity in my opinion and are under your budget.

Mar 15, 2019 at 4:15 PM Post #40,698 of 75,341
$30 (+ shipping) Willsound MK2 (you can opt for an MMCX version). Slightly mid bassy with good sub bass extension, good for modern music and has good detail and clear neutral highs.

Thanks for the advice. I will look into it while I get more responses :wink:

Mar 15, 2019 at 4:15 PM Post #40,699 of 75,341
Thanks for the advice, but allow me to be ignorant here. These are pretty cheap options (not in quality, I mean in price). Since I'm willing to spend up until $70, wouldn't I find much better options or are there no significant differences?

I have a few buds that are around $50 - $70 and to be honest, I have quite a few in the $10 -$30 range that I like just as much (or more).

Mar 15, 2019 at 4:19 PM Post #40,700 of 75,341
earbud pricing and sound quality do not always corrolate well. There's many way over priced stuff and also many underpriced great perfomers. So choose by popularity/reviews ratger than price.

I second was mbwilson said, dont let the price sway your decision too much. Cheap usually means non premium construction but not always lesser sound quality.

I have many sub $50 gear that sounds as good as my $100+ gear.

Mar 15, 2019 at 4:20 PM Post #40,701 of 75,341
For hip hop, neo soul, and rnb, I currently am always reaching for the Sabia V6 pearl and Willsound mk2 with VJC cable. Both provide a nice bass thump with vocal clarity in my opinion and are under your budget.
Thanks for the answer, but where can I get them from (I checked amazon and aliexpress and no sign of any of them).

Mar 15, 2019 at 4:21 PM Post #40,702 of 75,341
I have a few buds that are around $50 - $70 and to be honest, I have quite a few in the $10 -$30 range that I like just as much (or more).
Even better, I don't have the need to waste my money if it's not necessary. Could you tell me your three favourite ones? Can I buy them at aliexpress or amazon?

Mar 15, 2019 at 4:23 PM Post #40,703 of 75,341
Thanks for the advice, but allow me to be ignorant here. These are pretty cheap options (not in quality, I mean in price). Since I'm willing to spend up until $70, wouldn't I find much better options or are there no significant differences?

I’d take that 70 dollars and and get like 3 well priced buds to switch between,

The price scaling in iems seems to not apply to earbuds up to a certain price point. I read a post here that went into detail about earbud driver technology vs iem driver tech, and that was my conclusion.

Mar 15, 2019 at 4:23 PM Post #40,704 of 75,341
Thanks for the answer, but where can I get them from (I checked amazon and aliexpress and no sign of any of them).
The mk2 is custom order through willsound on facebook. He's a niche seller so he operates through fb and can ship internationally to around the world.

My advice is to go for the mmcx version and add a nice cable. The stock one is cheap feeling.

Also the stock shell is white, not my preference but you can probably choose white/black if you order.

Mar 15, 2019 at 4:24 PM Post #40,705 of 75,341

I have both the Sabia Pearl and a Willsound MK1 and love them both but would not suggest you start with them. They are more difficult to source ( I think the Pearl is sold out at the moment) and shipping adds a lot.

I suggest you start with somthing that you can get from Amazon or Aliexpress. Then if you get addicted like many of us you can look into the more specialized ones.

Mar 15, 2019 at 4:27 PM Post #40,706 of 75,341
Even better, I don't have the need to waste my money if it's not necessary. Could you tell me your three favourite ones? Can I buy them at aliexpress or amazon?

Wow that would be difficult for me... have you seen how many I have? lol

I think my favorite is usually what I have in the ears at the time:) At the moment that actually happens to be a pair of IEMs not buds.

Mar 15, 2019 at 4:29 PM Post #40,707 of 75,341
they are soo sweet
DSC_0234.JPG

Mar 15, 2019 at 4:31 PM Post #40,708 of 75,341
Wow that would be difficult for me... have you seen how many I have? lol

I think my favorite is usually what I have in the ears at the time:) At the moment that actually happens to be a pair of IEMs not buds.
Think of it as in "if you could only take 2 to a desert island...?"

Mar 15, 2019 at 4:35 PM Post #40,709 of 75,341
I have both the Sabia Pearl and a Willsound MK1 and love them both but would not suggest you start with them. They are more difficult to source ( I think the Pearl is sold out at the moment) and shipping adds a lot.

I suggest you start with somthing that you can get from Amazon or Aliexpress. Then if you get addicted like many of us you can look into the more specialized ones.

This is really sensible advice, thanks. I think I will start with the YINCROW RW-777 since the X6, which were $20 cheaper got a lot of appraisal.

Mar 15, 2019 at 4:49 PM Post #40,710 of 75,341

Users who are viewing this thread

Back