Earbuds Round-Up
Mar 13, 2019 at 6:46 PM Post #40,669 of 75,127
OK, I'll try to keep a long story short. It started with this post:
I strongly recommend to you "diy SR2 16ohms TPE wire" as smaller shells earbuds.
I think that this performance is comparable to SWD2+.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item//32801646835.html
https://www.aliexpress.com/item//32801265552.html
Choice 2nd color on eigther page.
This need 1-200 hours burn-in.
I wasn't looking for anything new having just bought a few others, but the reference to the SWD2+ intrigued me. After doing some searching and contacting the seller to find the best model for a large soundstage, I ordered the 16ohm one with red TPE cable.

Anyway, it arrived as I was sharing my listening time between my recent arrivals (SL 1.0/1.0+, Kube v1, MS16) and gave it a quick try. Typical PK shell, I thought. Nice sound but small soundstage. Nothing special. Except... the detail was very good. Small space but no congestion due to great clarity.

Then I remembered @jogawag's advice about burn-in (which I had also found repeated elsewhere in my searches). So I plugged a splitter into my amp and let the SR2 play quietly to itself while I got on with enjoying my other newcomers which all sounded impressive to me.

Anyway, after a couple of days (about 15 hours) I had another listen to the SR2. Hmm, definitely an improvement. The sound had opened up a bit in all dimensions and also some more warmth was present in the mids. Nice and natural, but more to come, I hoped.

So, back to the splitter for a week or so, about 50 hours use in total.

WOW! What a difference. The soundstage had expanded greatly, almost up to SL, Kube, MS16 levels. But what was most noticeable was the clarity. Superb separation, imaging, layering - it was on another level.

Oops, I have to go. Soundstage has now opened up even further. I'll hopefully add more tomorrow. BUY THEM!

Mar 13, 2019 at 9:15 PM Post #40,670 of 75,127
What about another HungryPanda earbud ?

Sounds good to me! :)

OK, I'll try to keep a long story short. It started with this post:

I wasn't looking for anything new having just bought a few others, but the reference to the SWD2+ intrigued me. After doing some searching and contacting the seller to find the best model for a large soundstage, I ordered the 16ohm one with red TPE cable.

Anyway, it arrived as I was sharing my listening time between my recent arrivals (SL 1.0/1.0+, Kube v1, MS16) and gave it a quick try. Typical PK shell, I thought. Nice sound but small soundstage. Nothing special. Except... the detail was very good. Small space but no congestion due to great clarity.

Then I remembered @jogawag's advice about burn-in (which I had also found repeated elsewhere in my searches). So I plugged a splitter into my amp and let the SR2 play quietly to itself while I got on with enjoying my other newcomers which all sounded impressive to me.

Anyway, after a couple of days (about 15 hours) I had another listen to the SR2. Hmm, definitely an improvement. The sound had opened up a bit in all dimensions and also some more warmth was present in the mids. Nice and natural, but more to come, I hoped.

WOW! What a difference. The soundstage had expanded greatly, almost up to SL, Kube, MS16 levels. But what was most noticeable was the clarity. Superb separation, imaging, layering - it was on another level.

Oops, I have to go. Soundstage has now opened up even further. I'll hopefully add more tomorrow. BUY THEM!

First the jogawag, and now the Willber? Hmm, might have to be done!

Mar 13, 2019 at 10:37 PM Post #40,671 of 75,127
Sounds good to me! :)

First the jogawag, and now the Willber? Hmm, might have to be done!

Not gonna lie I never believed in burning in any of my audio possessions after trying with iems and daps, but ever since I found you guys I’ve been pleasantly surprised how much difference 100+ hrs of burn in do to earbuds.

Maybe earbud drivers react particularly well with burn in time?

With buds I like out the box I just listen to though, since with time it should only get better :ksc75smile:

Mar 14, 2019 at 12:49 AM Post #40,672 of 75,127
Smabat ST-10 on the other hand is excellent. I reckon it has probably somewhere between flagship and 2nd tier level of SQ. Very neutral sounding overall - while not exactly the same frequency response, I think the best I can describe ST-10 is that it is almost like a pair of Etymotic ER-4S in earbud's shell. Imaging and layering are some of the best I have heard.

I had been eyeing the 32ohm Svara-L's which the seller replaced with these. If they're that good I may have to get them. Does a typical cell phone or bluetooth adapter drive these easily? I see they're 45ohm, but sensitivity seems good.

Nice!

I also found they sell them in a slightly different shell too, single port & no markings for left/right (even cheaper as well). I just ordered them in 16ohm after talking to the seller about them.
https://m.aliexpress.com/item/32922747759.html

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2019 at 3:24 AM Post #40,673 of 75,127
I had been eyeing the 32ohm Svara-L's which the seller replaced with these. If they're that good I may have to get them. Does a typical cell phone or bluetooth adapter drive these easily? I see they're 45ohm, but sensitivity seems good.

It isn't particularly hard to drive, as far as I can tell.

Mar 14, 2019 at 6:25 AM Post #40,674 of 75,127
One of these just landed on my desk at work.

upload_2019-3-14_10-39-41.png

(Early impressions only. Measurements to follow later)
Original foams (pictured on buds) came off quite quickly after initial listening, and were replaced with black donuts. (mid-bass was too present).

Compared with my the Sabia (black microphone cable) the detail and driver ability is about on the same level.
Tuning is what I would consider the polar opposite.

To my ears, Sabia puts emphasis on sub-bass, high mids/vocals and treble. (similar kind of wonderful insanity as JVC HA-DX1000).
The ANN 200's just sound very warm and apparently smooth over the whole frequency range.
Emphasis seems to be on central mids and a little on high bass, which doesn't seem to come across as boomy or bloomy. (like a warmer/thicker HD650 or MDR-V900 maybe).
Treble is slightly recessed/veiled, but present.
After a quick comparison, it clearly does not have a v-shaped sound like the Vido.
Definitely a softer, more polite tuning, and what I expect to be completely fatigue-free.
I don't want to comment on soundstage as I'm not so sensitive to the differences, but the kind of tonality presentation is sort of what I would expect from large floor-standing speakers.
However, I will say that timbre is one of the best I've heard from a bud so far. Quite an engaging and believable midrange for sure.
To give an abstract digital-image processing analogy - If Sabia is like adding a heavy sharpening to increase detail, ANN200 is more like zooming in a little and seeing the natural details.

I think these will be great for all-day listening at the office.

At a first feel, I thought the shells had the cheap-horrible rubberized coating that rots away after 2-3 years of contact with human sweat etc, but it actually feels lot more rugged and is quite textured and rough to touch, but not noticeably rougher than the foams on them, so nothing to worry about I think. Definitely adds a slightly more premium look and feel.
Cable is more pliable than I expected, actually slightly more flexible than Sabia black-mic cable.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that mine arrived with distortion in the right driver - nothing the old sucking trick couldn't completely fix in a few moments (took longer to get the foams back on afterwards).

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2019 at 9:15 AM Post #40,675 of 75,127
ST-10 is from the same maker of Svara series, but it is not a reversion of Svara-L. As far as I can tell (as I own a older version of Svara-L), the tuning is completely different. It is more of a revolution than an evolution. Hence why it is not called a Svara anymore but instead the maker started a new company and a new name. The new ST-10, at least for me, is much better than the Svara-L.

The ST-10 has vanished from AliExpress - the AVCCK Earphones Store listing is now showing - "Sorry, this item is no longer available!"
No other stores have the ST-10 listed.
And, Smabat doesn't show up in an AliExpress search.

Mar 14, 2019 at 9:53 AM Post #40,676 of 75,127
The ST-10 has vanished from AliExpress - the AVCCK Earphones Store listing is now showing - "Sorry, this item is no longer available!"

It is still on Taobao. I guess you have to wait for another Ali reseller to pick it up.

Mar 14, 2019 at 10:27 AM Post #40,677 of 75,127
Mar 14, 2019 at 10:56 AM Post #40,678 of 75,127

I still had the link up showing stock but when I refreshed the page it changed to no longer available. Before I refreshed the page I noticed that in the spot where they sometimes say how many are available it said this "piece (50 pieces at most per customer)"

Maybe someone bought them all to sell.

Mar 14, 2019 at 11:02 AM Post #40,679 of 75,127
One of these just landed on my desk at work.

(Early impressions only. Measurements to follow later)
Original foams (pictured on buds) came off quite quickly after initial listening, and were replaced with black donuts. (mid-bass was too present).

Compared with my the Sabia (black microphone cable) the detail and driver ability is about on the same level.
Tuning is what I would consider the polar opposite.3

To my ears, Sabia puts emphasis on sub-bass, high mids/vocals and treble. (similar kind of wonderful insanity as JVC HA-DX1000).
The ANN 200's just sound very warm and apparently smooth over the whole frequency range.
Emphasis seems to be on central mids and a little on high bass, which doesn't seem to come across as boomy or bloomy. (like a warmer/thicker HD650 or MDR-V900 maybe).
Treble is slightly recessed/veiled, but present.
After a quick comparison, it clearly does not have a v-shaped sound like the Vido.
Definitely a softer, more polite tuning, and what I expect to be completely fatigue-free.
I don't want to comment on soundstage as I'm not so sensitive to the differences, but the kind of tonality presentation is sort of what I would expect from large floor-standing speakers.
However, I will say that timbre is one of the best I've heard from a bud so far. Quite an engaging and believable midrange for sure.
To give an abstract digital-image processing analogy - If Sabia is like adding a heavy sharpening to increase detail, ANN200 is more like zooming in a little and seeing the natural details.

I think these will be great for all-day listening at the office.

At a first feel, I thought the shells had the cheap-horrible rubberized coating that rots away after 2-3 years of contact with human sweat etc, but it actually feels lot more rugged and is quite textured and rough to touch, but not noticeably rougher than the foams on them, so nothing to worry about I think. Definitely adds a slightly more premium look and feel.
Cable is more pliable than I expected, actually slightly more flexible than Sabia black-mic cable.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that mine arrived with distortion in the right driver - nothing the old sucking trick couldn't completely fix in a few moments (took longer to get the foams back on afterwards).

I had a delivery yesterday... much faster than expected. I was pleasantly surprised to see that the ANN N-200 included a case. I have not had a chance to listen to it yet because this is what arrived:

One of the orange Kubes and one of the ANNs are for HungryPanda when he gets home tonight.

10257599.jpg

Listening with one of the orange Kube1 now.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back