Earbuds Round-Up
Jan 19, 2019 at 1:39 AM Post #39,211 of 75,268
Oh and @ClieOS .. completely forgot lol.

If you can still find one, kKs 300ohm samsara. Alternatively the new K's LBB isn't a bad choice either.

Jan 19, 2019 at 2:47 AM Post #39,212 of 75,268
Listening to the kube1's tonight, and it seems I'm listening to a 5.1 surroundsound system. Voodoo. Just sayin'.

Jan 19, 2019 at 2:48 AM Post #39,213 of 75,268
Okay. Talking about Sony's MH-series. Their in-ears (MH1, MH755) are reasonably good, how about their MH410 buds?

There are sellers in my local marketplace still have some stock. I want to try to get a pair but I am afraid that it will be MH1 / MH755 all over again....

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2019 at 3:25 AM Post #39,215 of 75,268
Okay. Talking about Sony's MH-series. Their in-ears (MH1, MH755) are reasonably good, how about their MH410 buds?

There are sellers in my local marketplace still have some stock. I want to try to get a pair but I am afraid that it will be MH1 / MH755 all over again....
Got my MH410 along with my Xperia phone
They SUCK. Literally no bass at all, harsh mid range

Jan 19, 2019 at 4:04 AM Post #39,216 of 75,268
Included Vido measurements.

TLDR:
Sabia is best detail/timbre (fun signature)
Kube V1 is best soundstage (smooth warm signature)
Vido is best value (warm/dark signature)
eK2 is best for big ear holes (thick/dark signature)

Sabia Elibud V6 2.pngVido.png
theKube2.pngThe Kube eK2.png

It's been a while since I listened to my Vidos, but I just did some abc'ing of the above as well.

For me, the Vidos are the darkest and with the most subdued treble. Maybe there are differences amongst the Vidos and the Kube1's? Or maybe we are using different foams? Or maybe I just don't know that I'm talking about lol?

I also I threw the Kube2's into the mix, and to me they then become the darkest of the lot with the most subdued treble.

The Kube1's and Sabia V6's seem to tickle my amygdala the most, but man, they are all great.

Edit: I just tried some different foams on the Kube2's, and have been tripping out with them pretty well, so they also tickle my amygdala nicely. I previously told mbwilson111 that the kube2's are similar in signature to the Nighthawks, which is a good thing if you love the Nighthawks.
This goes to show that what you hear seems to be in alignment with measurements.

To my ears, Vido is definitely less treble-happy than Sabia. Sabia is seemingly more coherent, less 'blurry'.
Kube V1 sits between the two for coherence, but has a unusually large soundstage with excellent positional cues that can't be ignored.
Vido and Sabia sound more in-your-head.
Sabia has the best bass texture and heft. A lot of full-size headphones can't do bass with this finesse and energy.
Vido certainly does seem to be the darkest sound, but not in a bad way. It represents insane value for money. I can hardly believe it.

I still have two pairs. One perfect and one with a cable issue, which I will replace eventually. They are great and were my daily earbuds for months on end. They seemed to get better and better, but every once in a while one driver would start to distort. You had to tap them on something hard to dislodge it then all was well again. I have never had anything that acted that way. Have you tried multiple foamies on the Kube 2; like stacking them? To me the Kube 2 is best with super thick foam covers.
I've tried a few different foam configurations on eK2 and definitely stacking does help.
I can't help hearing that it suffers from the biggest tonality issues. The dip between 2-5kHz is just impossible for me to ignore. Combined with forward 1-2Khz zone, vocals/mids sound too thick and flat.
Out of the four above, it's the one I would not recommend, however I still feel that my ears are not big enough for it, as the sound changes a lot with different positions when I move them around into places they don't settle.

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2019 at 5:54 AM Post #39,217 of 75,268

TLDR:

This goes to show that what you hear seems to be in alignment with measurements.

To my ears, Vido is definitely less treble-happy than Sabia. Sabia is seemingly more coherent, less 'blurry'.
Kube V1 sits between the two for coherence, but has a unusually large soundstage with excellent positional cues that can't be ignored.
Sabia has the best bass texture and heft. A lot of full-size headphones can't do bass with this finesse and energy.
Vido certainly does seem to be the darkest sound, but not in a bad way. It represents insane value for money. I can hardly believe it.

I've tried a few different foam configurations on eK2 and definitely stacking does help.
I can't help hearing that it suffers from the biggest tonality issues. The dip between 2-5kHz is just impossible for me to ignore. Combined with forward 1-2Khz zone, vocals/mids sound too thick and flat.
Out of the four above, it's the one I would not recommend, however I still feel that my ears are not big enough for it, as the sound changes a lot with different positions when I move them around into places they don't settle.

Haha. I did mention that in my review in a section explaining that the mids can come off dark and not make it out to their proper place with the EK2. But I have an emotional soft part in my heart for headphones, earbuds or IEMs that can parlay bass authority. But measurements are always interesting helping us confirm speculative ideas about what’s wrong or right in the signature. I’m thinking about mailing you the Cubu “s” just so you can lay the V1 graph and Cubu “s” graph side by side. The Cubu I would mail you simply has a small short at the plug.

If you do find the soundstage to be a little bigger, and an ounce or two of secret sauce present, don’t reiterate too much, as it will make people curious about something they can’t find for sale. Lol

The V1 and Cubu”s” could measure exactly the same too! Stranger things have happened.:)

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2019 at 6:27 AM Post #39,218 of 75,268
Haha. I did mention that in my review in a section explaining that the mids can come off dark and not make it out to their proper place with the EK2. But I have an emotional soft part in my heart for headphones, earbuds or IEMs that can parlay bass authority. But measurements are always interesting helping us confirm speculative ideas about what’s wrong or right in the signature. I’m thinking about mailing you the Cubu “s” just so you can lay the V1 graph and Cubu “s” graph side by side. The Cubu I would mail you simply has a small short at the plug.

If you do find the soundstage to be a little bigger, and an ounce or two of secret sauce present, don’t reiterate too much, as it will make people curious about something they can’t find for sale. Lol
Indeed, the Ek2 still thrashes the pants off any older buds I've heard for bass.

(Cubu measurements) I'd be down for that. More measurements would do more good than harm I think.

Jan 19, 2019 at 11:06 AM Post #39,219 of 75,268
Made a few things today, my favourite is my wooden earbuds with 32 ohm carbon drivers:

20190119_160349[1].jpg

Jan 19, 2019 at 1:01 PM Post #39,220 of 75,268
Made a few things today, my favourite is my wooden earbuds with 32 ohm carbon drivers:

For the specialized drivers, like this carbon model, are you finding them on AliExpress?

Jan 19, 2019 at 1:06 PM Post #39,221 of 75,268

TLDR:

Huh! Wonders never cease :)

Thanks for the measurements. One of these days I'll have to learn how to interpret the graph's mids and highs.

Perfect descriptions.

Generally agreed. Another niggle is the linguine cable which also causes them to shift around, so they don't work well for me if I'm moving around a lot.

On a positive note though, after my brain gets used to the eK2 signature, I find them to be lovely and non-fatiguing.

Jan 19, 2019 at 1:19 PM Post #39,223 of 75,268

TLDR:

Regardless of whether these graphs are 100% accurate or not in the bass region. That Kube 2 has an astonishingly linear bass response for an earbud. Does it has the same amount of sub-lower mid bass as this chart suggests? Looks almost linear.

Jan 19, 2019 at 2:16 PM Post #39,225 of 75,268
Huh! Wonders never cease :)

Thanks for the measurements. One of these days I'll have to learn how to interpret the graph's mids and highs.

This is a good resource: https://www.teachmeaudio.com/mixing/techniques/audio-spectrum/

This one is good too if you want to impress friends and fellow audiophiles, once you learn this new language drop a couple of those audio pearls on every post and we will all marvel at your impressive command of all things audio :grin:

https://www.stereophile.com/reference/50/index.html

My suggestion would be for you not to delve too deep into graph interpretation, I was once graph illiterate and despite educating myself I still listen to the music and not the audio frequencies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back