Earbuds Round-Up
Jan 20, 2019 at 2:39 AM Post #39,241 of 75,127
Got these 400ohms from yuming store.

They look the same as the ones you linked. Going to try them out soon so I'll let you know how they perform in a standard mx500 shell with standard filter soon. That would be a good basis, then i can tune them to my liking from there.

Between that and the TO600 i ordered I'll finally have some very high impedance earbuds again.

As for the 600ohm ones you listed. They are also on yuming store and not one mention of beryllium in the description. May buy them soon to test them out.
Please kindly snap a few pics of the build.

Jan 20, 2019 at 2:57 AM Post #39,242 of 75,127
Daydreaming is in my top 5 tracks. Ever.

Not that I keep a list or anything. I just have decided so now because I love Radiohead and that track is a masterpiece :)

Yes, that's a beautiful and haunting track. The whole album is amazing.

I don't keep track either, but I don't think I could pick a favorite Radiohead song.
If I was stuck on a deserted island and could only have one band's discography at my disposal, it might just be Radiohead's.

Jan 20, 2019 at 5:27 AM Post #39,243 of 75,127
Ry4s w/UE cable seems to fit the bill. Bass is a little tighter than emx500, mids are a little more present around 1-2khz and highs are a little more analytical where emx500 goes for a sweet but bright sound.

Ry4s pushes detail more aggressively whereas emx500 just lets it flow.
How's LBB compared to RY4S?

Also, unrelated, anyone here has both Ti7 and ACG?

Jan 20, 2019 at 6:02 AM Post #39,244 of 75,127
Ry4s w/UE cable seems to fit the bill. Bass is a little tighter than emx500, mids are a little more present around 1-2khz and highs are a little more analytical where emx500 goes for a sweet but bright sound.

Ry4s pushes detail more aggressively whereas emx500 just lets it flow.

It’s a wonder nowadays what sub $10 earbuds can bring us joy with.

Jan 20, 2019 at 8:18 AM Post #39,245 of 75,127
Is there a definite guide to budget earbuds? There are so many! Is there even difference between them?

I bought EMX500, which seems to be produced by two companies, **** and Fengru... which is the original? Who knows... So I got both.

Now I'm looking at others and there is TY Hi-Z HP-32 and it's variations and...

Faaeal:
  • Snow Lotus
  • Snow Lotus Plus
  • Snow Lotus 2
  • Snow Lotus 2 Plus
  • Iris
Of course none of the sellers provide an actual description of what are the differences.

Which one to pick? :scream:

Jan 20, 2019 at 10:03 AM Post #39,247 of 75,127
Received my Kube v1 and immediately listening to them. OOTB, timbre is not quite natural but imaging and soundstage are impressive.

Edit: I wasn't using any foams. With foams they are much more balanced and provide some nice rumbles in the bass.

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2019 at 11:24 AM Post #39,248 of 75,127
I really like the sound of my Zen 2.0 and I am looking for an earbud with a similar sound signature but more easy to drive without an amp. What do you recommend?
Thanks!

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2019 at 1:13 PM Post #39,249 of 75,127
I went shotgun through all of my buds last night. About 20 of them. Using my Zishan Z3 (which I like for earbuds, has Muses02 opamp). Quick listen with each...the two winners were the Faaeal Datura X and the RY4S for all around sound (impact, bass, treble, mids).
My only criteria for this "game" was to choose a bud that didn't have any...bothers (like too sharp treble, no bass, or flat sound). I wanted to see what I would choose if I didn't let my ears adjust to any particular sound signature. This game included: Rose Mojito, Rose Masya, NiceHck EBX, EB2, both BGVP buds, MX500, DIY Graphene, **** PT15, **** BK2, OUrArt Ti7, PMV, Monk+, Toneking T16, Edifier 185 and 195, Nicehck eb200. The Eb200 (a bud I hadn't listened to for forever) turned out to be surprising good, so that one has come out of the stable.

Jan 20, 2019 at 1:40 PM Post #39,250 of 75,127
People gave me the advice to put donut foams on the SL 1+ the other day - I didn't think I had any, but turns out there was a pair in the bottom of the carrying pouch that came with them that I must have accidentally dropped in there. Big improvement in treble compared to using the full foams. So, thanks :beerchug:

Jan 20, 2019 at 2:02 PM Post #39,251 of 75,127
Sorry if this sounds like a noob question, but what are the benefits of high-impedance drivers?

Jan 20, 2019 at 2:17 PM Post #39,252 of 75,127
Sorry if this sounds like a noob question, but what are the benefits of high-impedance drivers?
High impedance is not itself a goal, but a side effect of using thinner wires in the voice coil, which has some potential benefits as explained here: https://www.cnet.com/news/headphone...d-to-know-about-low-vs-high-impedance-models/. The downside is reduction in volume and dynamics that must be overcome with more power from the amp. You should look at impedance as one of many factors that affects the final result with the system you are using.

Jan 20, 2019 at 2:20 PM Post #39,253 of 75,127
Thanks, I shall have a read.

Edit: This paragraph from the above link probably explains most of what I need to know:

"The smaller diameter of the 600-ohm voice coil wires allows the wires to fit tighter, so there's less air between the windings, and that makes the electromagnetic field of the voice coil stronger. All of that reduces distortion for the high-impedance versions compared with the low-impedance headphones."

Carry on, everyone!

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2019 at 3:23 PM Post #39,254 of 75,127
Yes, that's a beautiful and haunting track. The whole album is amazing.

I don't keep track either, but I don't think I could pick a favorite Radiohead song.
If I was stuck on a deserted island and could only have one band's discography at my disposal, it might just be Radiohead's.
Many people don't like the backwards lyrics at the end, the kind if jarring deep strings part. I'll admit it's pretty unsettling but it's what adds the final touch of genius to the song.
How's LBB compared to RY4S?

Also, unrelated, anyone here has both Ti7 and ACG?
LBB is great until you get down to the bass. It doesn't hold authority.

RY4S is tight and punchy, if you mod it you get a sub bass monster with slightly cleaner and powerful bass than a stock vido (one of the budget bass champs).

Ry4s is agressive in mids and highs though, LBB follows more closey to the emx500 with its bright but smooth sweet tuning. I'd say the LBB is very clean and well refined maybe even slightly more than emx500 but id have to check again.

Bottom line is Ry4s has a more analytical agressive tuning with punchy textured bass. LBB is a musical balanced-slightly bright tuning with lighter bass. Both have detail and energy to them.

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2019 at 6:07 PM Post #39,255 of 75,127
Hi, I am new to earbuds game. Got Vido and PT15. Very happy with sound of both and generaly like the idea of earbuds, but I am having issues with fit.

Vido (probably any MX500 shell) doesn’t well. It sits very lightly in my outer ear seemingly not having grip and the sound is quite thin. Slaming them more in ear will fix the sound and I actually like them, but it’s no very comfortable and they ten to pop out.

PT15 seem to fit better. Definitely more secure in ear. And can wear them over ear (awesome with TRN BT10). But still not comfortable for long time. It becomes quite painfull after a while.

Don’t realy know why I am having such issues. Don’t know how much are buds suposed to seal and how securely should they fit if I am not trying to cram them in too much...

But anyway I wanted to try something with smaller shell but PK style buds don’t seem to be in extra budget category and I am out of my budget this month to get SR2 recomended here. I have found out that Qian 39 can be had for $5 on Ali sale now. I am between Qian 39 and VE Monk Lite. Like the gold on Monk Lite but Qian is cheaper. Which one is beter? Any reason to get Monk Lite over Qian 39?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back