Earbuds Round-Up
Jan 19, 2019 at 2:29 PM Post #39,226 of 75,451
Regardless of whether these graphs are 100% accurate or not in the bass region. That Kube 2 has an astonishingly linear bass response for an earbud. Does it has the same amount of sub-lower mid bass as this chart suggests? Looks almost linear.
To my ears, yes. Absolutely without question.

The bass shaker test vibrates these little beans right off the bat. No rattling, no distortion.
https://www.audiocheck.net/soundtests_headphones.php

It's worth noting, my measurements all start at 10Hz, and all these buds have exceptional bass extension, but the Kube V1 is the most noticeably linear.

Jan 19, 2019 at 2:42 PM Post #39,227 of 75,451
Jan 19, 2019 at 3:56 PM Post #39,228 of 75,451
To my ears, yes. Absolutely without question.

The bass shaker test vibrates these little beans right off the bat. No rattling, no distortion.
https://www.audiocheck.net/soundtests_headphones.php

It's worth noting, my measurements all start at 10Hz, and all these buds have exceptional bass extension, but the Kube V1 is the most noticeably linear.
I do feel these measurements are a little exaggerated though. Most earbud measurements show a mid bass bump around 100-120hz and a roll off below that until it becomes almost inaudible below 20hz.

My listening to frequency sweeps are in line with that too. You begin to hear rumble around 25hz and by 30hz it's present but recessed. By 60hz and it it becomes impactful.

But despite that fact, the kube v2 is still more linear than the other graphs ade showing, with the vido bring the previous bass champ in the budget range. The fact that it is slightly more linear and extended than the vido (assuming you are somewhat consistent with your measuring from bud to bud) means these things might be the budget bass champs.

All in all keep doing these measurements, it serves as an excellent comparison for us :)

What are you using to measure them mind me asking? I'm thinking of buying a setup myself, maybe the minidsp ears.

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2019 at 4:08 PM Post #39,229 of 75,451
Made a few things today, my favourite is my wooden earbuds with 32 ohm carbon drivers:

Wow - it is very cool that you are building those HungryPanda specials. Nice work!

They look great. The important question though is, how do they sound? What would you compare them to?

This is a good resource: https://www.teachmeaudio.com/mixing/techniques/audio-spectrum/

This one is good too if you want to impress friends and fellow audiophiles, once you learn this new language drop a couple of those audio pearls on every post and we will all marvel at your impressive command of all things audio :grin:

https://www.stereophile.com/reference/50/index.html

My suggestion would be for you not to delve too deep into graph interpretation, I was once graph illiterate and despite educating myself I still listen to the music and not the audio frequencies.

Thanks! I will check out those links. I really want to attack my audio descriptions with brilliant, ballsy and yet coherent definition and detail. Whoa, that glossary is already helping me sound impressive - and I'm only up to the D's!

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2019 at 4:22 PM Post #39,230 of 75,451
What are you using to measure them mind me asking? I'm thinking of buying a setup myself, maybe the minidsp ears.
Measurements are taken with a miniDSP EARS + REW.

It's no surprise you bring up consistency.
That's really the key here. It's not a perfect tool, so I have to use some license in choosing what I believe to be close to 'correct' according to what I hear.
So far I've measured nearly 100 headphones, iems and buds altogether, and each one has it's own 'trick' to getting it to measure properly.
I've compared graphs with other miniDSP EARS owners, and with the same headphone we come up with different results.
So as long as you're consistent with yourself and your own measurements, then there's plenty of value to it.

Jan 19, 2019 at 4:28 PM Post #39,231 of 75,451

That's really the key here. It's not a perfect tool, so I have to use some license in choosing what I believe to be close to 'correct' according to what I hear.
So far I've measured nearly 100 headphones, iems and buds altogether, and each one has it's own 'trick' to getting it to measure properly.
I've compared graphs with other miniDSP EARS owners, and with the same headphone we come up with different results.
So as long as you're consistent with yourself and your own measurements, then there's plenty of value to it.
Exactly, it's a tool to measure against other gear you own and to what you hear. Not really a perfectly accurate measurement rig. But honestly when you are just using it for personal use and as a guide for say modding and just general curiousity it seems a pretty powerful too.

How much do they cost around $200 right? That's not too bad tbh. BTW what is 'REW' I'm not familiar with that term.

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2019 at 4:37 PM Post #39,232 of 75,451
Room EQ Wizard.
The minidsp guys recommend using it and build their tutorial around it.

Jan 19, 2019 at 5:45 PM Post #39,233 of 75,451
Jan 20, 2019 at 12:30 AM Post #39,235 of 75,451

You should try measuring some T50RP's with that rig. Lol - my guess is that you have done that a few times! :)

Jan 20, 2019 at 12:30 AM Post #39,236 of 75,451
Hi guys,
I am looking for 30$ earbud with balanced sound (a little bit elevated bass would be nice) and durability.
I've been used EMX500 and the mid is lack of resolution/clarity & bass is a little bit higher quantity compared to my taste.
The other buds I used is Faaeal Snow lotus 2.0, which is rather dark, lack of clarity in mid & no sub-bass.
My targets are K's LLB and HE150 Pro, but just don't know if whether they are upgrades from current budget champs like EMX500S, R4YS UE or Snow Lotus 1.0+ or side-grades.
Hope to receive your recommendation, thank a lot !!!

Jan 20, 2019 at 12:31 AM Post #39,237 of 75,451
Tonight's guilty pleasure: Radiohead. Moon Shaped Pool. Sabia V6 Experimental. Wow.

Jan 20, 2019 at 12:36 AM Post #39,238 of 75,451
Hi guys,
I am looking for 30$ earbud with balanced sound (a little bit elevated bass would be nice) and durability.
I've been used EMX500 and the mid is lack of resolution/clarity & bass is a little bit higher quantity compared to my taste.
The other buds I used is Faaeal Snow lotus 2.0, which is rather dark, lack of clarity in mid & no sub-bass.
My targets are K's LLB and HE150 Pro, but just don't know if whether they are upgrades from current budget champs like EMX500S, R4YS UE or Snow Lotus 1.0+ or side-grades.
Hope to receive your recommendation, thank a lot !!!
Ry4s w/UE cable seems to fit the bill. Bass is a little tighter than emx500, mids are a little more present around 1-2khz and highs are a little more analytical where emx500 goes for a sweet but bright sound.

Ry4s pushes detail more aggressively whereas emx500 just lets it flow.

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2019 at 12:37 AM Post #39,239 of 75,451
Tonight's guilty pleasure: Radiohead. Moon Shaped Pool. Sabia V6 Experimental. Wow.
Daydreaming is in my top 5 tracks. Ever.

Not that I keep a list or anything. I just have decided so now because I love Radiohead and that track is a masterpiece :)

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2019 at 12:43 AM Post #39,240 of 75,451
Another question about your homebrew models -
Have you tried the 400Ω Graphene ($27), or 600Ω Beryllium ($43) drivers that Chitty's Store has listed?
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/15-...ance-unit-speaker-1pair-2pcs/32851048067.html
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/MMX...-high-frequency-equalization/32910917383.html
Got these 400ohms from yuming store.
15479628570941773460008.jpg
They look the same as the ones you linked. Going to try them out soon so I'll let you know how they perform in a standard mx500 shell with standard filter soon. That would be a good basis, then i can tune them to my liking from there.

Between that and the TO600 i ordered I'll finally have some very high impedance earbuds again.

As for the 600ohm ones you listed. They are also on yuming store and not one mention of beryllium in the description. May buy them soon to test them out.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back