Earbuds Round-Up
Jan 9, 2019 at 1:15 PM Post #38,821 of 75,246
Which foams are currently most recommended these days? Please share your experience and current preference.

I am finding myself using black and the thinner whites as the reds tend to be too thick for my ears and muffled sounding (thinking on donut'ing them so see if there is an audible improvement though the fit will still be an issue).

I'd also like to know which foams people are using! I love the foams that come with the Faaeal earbuds I've ordered, much better than the VE Monk Plus foams, and I prefer full foams over donuts. Anyone have recommendations?

Jan 9, 2019 at 1:56 PM Post #38,822 of 75,246
Which foams are currently most recommended these days? Please share your experience and current preference.

I am finding myself using black and the thinner whites as the reds tend to be too thick for my ears and muffled sounding (thinking on donut'ing them so see if there is an audible improvement though the fit will still be an issue).
I'd also like to know which foams people are using! I love the foams that come with the Faaeal earbuds I've ordered, much better than the VE Monk Plus foams, and I prefer full foams over donuts. Anyone have recommendations?
Like pads on headphones, there's no universally best foam for all earbuds.

I find each earbud responds best to different foams depending on the sound signature and fit.

With that in mind, I tend to use these as my go-to when testing new foams:

- Full black foams (specifically the ones that look more pourous/transparent than the other full foams)

- Hiegi Full foams (fairly dense and consistent in quality)

- Aliexpress thin foam (very pourous, tames treble slightly. Great transparency of sound.)

- VE or Hiegi thick donuts (VE are slightly thicker and warmer sounding. Great for adding soundstage (driver further from ear) and works well for smaller shell earbuds that are very bright.

- Aliexpress assortment of full foams in various colours (this pack has some unique foams including thick but transparent full foams and some extra thin but dense full foams)

Some notes:

I rarely buy or use regular donuts. I find the opening is usually too small and if I need donuts I can make them out if full foams easily and decide on how big the opening is myself. On ocasion I will use them with some earbuds but usually I look for other alternatives.

The original VE thin foams are the most transparent sounding and barely touch the sound sig of the earbud so it's almost like listening without foams. The new ve thins however... They are thicker and I find no matter which earbud I use them on they destroy the precision of the imaging. I don't know why this happens and it seems illogical. My only guess is that the foam matieral is more reflective of sound somehow. I really dislike the new VE thin foams for that reason. But I do like how they are very pourous but medium-thick so it adds some bass over most other thin foams.

I usually mod my foams to adjust the sound sig to my liking. So I'm not usually using just one foam or stock foams on any of my earbuds. But I always test all the basic stock foams first to see where I should start and which the earbud works best with.

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2019 at 9:45 PM Post #38,826 of 75,246
Nice! some quick impressions? :)

Pretty much the same sound as regular Masya Pro, which is a fuller, more forwarded, brighter sound when compared to the old Masya. I won't say it is a upgrade over the original, but more of a change of sound signature. Where the original is moee laid back, the new one is more energetic/aggressive.

DSC_0149.jpg

Jan 10, 2019 at 5:32 PM Post #38,830 of 75,246
I'm pretty sure that difference between Snow Lotus 1.0 and 1.0+ is just a story of differently modded MX500 shells.
I don't think they have different drivers.

Anyway, I should receive my 1.0 in the next few days (I hope) :) can't wait to compare with my yet best EMX500 DIY mod (which are now the only earbuds I'm listening everyday).

This is reply to my question from official Faaeal store: c/p

Hi,sir,many thanks for your kindly reply and support. The Snow-lotus's sound is different with Iris. The Snow-lotus have not more bass, it is a human voice earbuds. And the 1.0's driver is same with 1.0+, but the 2.0 is different.

Thanks.

Jan 10, 2019 at 6:18 PM Post #38,831 of 75,246
I really like the treble on my old TY Hi-Z HP-32 v1. The treble sounds so clean, extended and dare I say, bright? But to these old ears I can appreciate a little brightness to add a little air and excitement to my listening session, and the HP-32 has what I like.

I was going to order another one, (v2 now), but then I considered an upgrade. What would be a clear step up for under $60, or even way less... or so...

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2019 at 6:56 PM Post #38,832 of 75,246
This is reply to my question from official Faaeal store: c/p

Hi,sir,many thanks for your kindly reply and support. The Snow-lotus's sound is different with Iris. The Snow-lotus have not more bass, it is a human voice earbuds. And the 1.0's driver is same with 1.0+, but the 2.0 is different.
Thanks.

So does that tell us how or if they sound different?

Jan 10, 2019 at 7:48 PM Post #38,834 of 75,246
Why all earbuds have such a high distortion measurements in the bass area?
they all are more than 10% THD
Where are you getting the measurements?

Which earbuds are we talking about exactly. I'd love to see detailed measurements taken like that for earbuds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back