Earbuds Round-Up
Jan 8, 2019 at 8:03 PM Post #38,806 of 75,339
Itching for some new earbuds.
I like my old MX 375, I find the Monk a bit plain, so I do enjoy a bit more bass.
I don't like how the foam wears out overtime, but I also don't like IEM, so thinking if there are any with silicone sleeve that poke just a bit in, but not air tight, similar to apple's.
Any suggestions?

I ordered these a week ago to try out:
https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/OIWCELq

Dunno if they'll fit, still a few weeks out. They may also need trimming if they cover vents/ports of whatever shell they fit on.

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2019 at 11:24 PM Post #38,807 of 75,339
Jan 9, 2019 at 1:26 AM Post #38,808 of 75,339
0AD9CD85-135F-4389-A876-232C97E40B36.jpeg

Enjoying these VE monk summer and fall editions. Both use high quality cables ($120 ea when purchased by themselves) but very different ergonomically. Blue pure silver among the softest/least microphonic I’ve ever used and the shining cable is the opposite; stiff and very microphonic. Both produce beautiful & detailed sound though, with the shining copper/fall edition reaching a bit deeper bass with its larger drivers.

Jan 9, 2019 at 2:05 AM Post #38,809 of 75,339
DSC_0153.jpg

Masya Pro Custom Edition, got it from Penon.

Jan 9, 2019 at 2:26 AM Post #38,810 of 75,339
Hi, I don't have experience with earbuds (been using mostly headphones or iems), but they seem quite interesting and I'd like to know more.

Is there any fundamental sound signature differences for earbuds to iems (especially in the budget space)? If I were to compare KZ's offerings (which tend to be V shaped) in the less than 20 USD range with earbuds from the same price range, what differences should I expect?

Say the FAAEAL Snow Lotus 2.0 (or 1.0+) or Moondrop Nameless Plus compared to the KZ ZSN or ES4?

Jan 9, 2019 at 3:26 AM Post #38,811 of 75,339
Both use high quality cables ($120 ea when purchased by themselves) but very different ergonomically. Blue pure silver among the softest/least microphonic I’ve ever used
Good job! :) this pure blue cable from VE is the one I really want to buy for my yet best EMX500 DIY project, but a bit expensive :) not sure that sound quality will much change between a silver plated and pure silver anyway.

Jan 9, 2019 at 4:39 AM Post #38,813 of 75,339
Qian 39 = 16.3mm
Qian 69 = 16.8mm
Seahf AWK-F150C = 16.8mm
**** PT15 = 16.35mm
Toneking ROS1 = 14.6mm
VE Monk Plus = 16.9mm

...and a couple I had to hand. I'll do the others some other time. Rounded up or down to the nearest 0.1 mm, unless it was in the middle.

Shozy BK = 16.1mm
Blox B320 = 16.9mm
MX760 Graphene (old version) = 16.95mm

That Toneking is tiny :)

The Heavenly Sounds Genesis and King Interlude, both Willsound Mk1 and 2, ABnormal Duotres, ELi Vajiac, and Earbud Thailand Black Lion are all MX500 shells and measured 16.9mm, though the Lion was 16.8mm. Shell batch size probably varies slightly. I think all of the others I have are probably MX500 shells as well.

A couple more outside dimensions.

PT25: 16.0mm x 17.0mm (at widest angle, directly across opening is 16.7mm, approx. 15mm wide/thick).

ACG (& Ti7): 15.75mm (5.35mm rim width, overall 15.45mm wide/thick).

20190109_010839.jpg

Oh and my pretty old Sony EDR-M828: 17.05mm x 18.00mm

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2019 at 5:40 AM Post #38,814 of 75,339
Warranty concerns is why I don't have any other TOTL earbuds besides my ZOE. I know that I can trust that VE will honor warranty and assist if I have issues but I've not had good experiences with customer service from quite a few vendors

Good job! :) this pure blue cable from VE is the one I really want to buy for my yet best EMX500 DIY project, but a bit expensive :) not sure that sound quality will much change between a silver plated and pure silver anyway.

I find the Ocean cable to be of good quality, I feel like it does change the sound of my ZOE quite a bit, to me it becomes cleaner and the bass feels less muddy, compared to stock

Jan 9, 2019 at 7:39 AM Post #38,815 of 75,339
KIMG1296.JPG
I got the RY4S UE cable version for a while now, and just wanted to add my thoughts, comparing it to my most used earbud at the moment, the Willsound MK2.

I got it during the 11.11 sale, and it got here at the beginning of December. I used it for a week almost constantly, and then mostly put back the MK2 and forgot about it until tonight, when I pulled it out again to see what was bothering me so much about it.

It has a nice punchy sub-bass, and no mid-bass bloat. This gives it a nice punchy bass that adds weight to instruments that need it without hindering the clarity. I feel it has more sub-bass than the MK2, but less overall bass, but it is probably just a perceived effect due to less distractions in the sub bass. As a result, the imaging is less fuzzy on the RY4S, but everything sounds smaller, like the instruments are less heavy. There is less weight on the instruments on the RY4S than on the MK2.

The mids are quite recessed. I originally found the mids on the MK2 recessed, coming from very mid-centric IEMs, but the RY4S takes it up a level. The voices sound farther away, and while they still sound clear, they definitely don't sound as detailed as the MK2. Some instruments that I hear clearly on the MK2 appear very faintly on the RY4S. This also affects the timber, which is what bothers me the most. The mids on the RY4S sometimes sound "plastic-y"...I don't know how else to put it, but sometimes it doesn't sound like a guitar, but more like a keyboard playing a guitar, if that makes sense.

The highs are less well extended on the RY4S than on the MK2. Some air is missing. That being said, there is plenty of detail there, cymbals sound correct, and it never gets piercing. The MK2 sometimes gets up a little high, but I do have to say that sibilance doesn't bother me, and I am kind of a masochist when it comes to highs.

Overall, it sounds like I am being negative towards the RY4S, but really, it is only because of how amazing the MK2 makes everything sound. The imaging is very holographic on the RY4S, and other than the mids weird timber on some songs, and a lack of air, I think that the RY4S does a lot of things very well. The bass is very nice, and one of it's best attributes.

I also think that the RY4S look and feel really amazing. They really feel premium. The cable is beautiful and doesn't tangle. The plug is a really nice size and fits really well. It is really beautiful. It looks much nicer and more refined than the DIY style and feel of the MK2. One thing I noted though is that the plastic on the shells of the MK2 seem better, they seem thicker and less brittle.

I think I would recommend the RY4S to a friend who wants to try a nice earbud without spending too much, but for anyone with a pair of earbuds over 50$, I don't think they are worth it.

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2019 at 8:09 AM Post #38,816 of 75,339
I've been listening to the Monk Plus with SPC cable for the past week and I think they are rather good. The SPC cable does make quite a difference, compared to the standard Monk Plus, the bass is much tighter sounding, the mids are less warm and lean towards a more neutral tonality, more detailed too, particularly in the micro details, I can definitely hear extra things in the music which I normally do not hear on the standard Monk Plus, treble is about the same. Soundstage width and depth is on par, but due to the cleaner nature of the SPC version, I find the separation to be much improved.

I love the transparent shells but the cable could be better, with the standard Monk Plus the cable straightens out after a week, but the SPC cable retains the kinks.

Overall, the signature is the same mould as something like the **** PT15 and NiceHCK EB2, i.e. clean and detailed but less bright than those 2 and less peaky. EB2 however does sound clearer and has more articulate mids though. Very good earbud IMHO, I can recommend it.

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2019 at 10:54 AM Post #38,817 of 75,339
Is there any fundamental sound signature differences for earbuds to iems (especially in the budget space)?

Just as with iems, buds are available with many different signatures.

Jan 9, 2019 at 12:01 PM Post #38,818 of 75,339
Which foams are currently most recommended these days? Please share your experience and current preference.

I am finding myself using black and the thinner whites as the reds tend to be too thick for my ears and muffled sounding (thinking on donut'ing them so see if there is an audible improvement though the fit will still be an issue).

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2019 at 12:07 PM Post #38,819 of 75,339
Hi, I don't have experience with earbuds (been using mostly headphones or iems), but they seem quite interesting and I'd like to know more.

Is there any fundamental sound signature differences for earbuds to iems (especially in the budget space)? If I were to compare KZ's offerings (which tend to be V shaped) in the less than 20 USD range with earbuds from the same price range, what differences should I expect?

Say the FAAEAL Snow Lotus 2.0 (or 1.0+) or Moondrop Nameless Plus compared to the KZ ZSN or ES4?
Less sub bass quantity (no seal like in IEMs). More open spacious soundstage.

To use headphones as an example, think closed back with leather pads (IEM) vs open back with velour pads (Earbud).

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2019 at 12:38 PM Post #38,820 of 75,339
Received the K's LBB today (super fast shipping!).

Super early impressions

The good: Excellent mids and treble balance. Vocals come forward with detail and excellent timbre. Imaging is crisp and accurate, SS is wide enough, great space. Treble seems crisp and well refined with some sparkle but not bright or boosted in any way. Bass is tight.

The bad: The bass doesn't have a lot of punch in the mid bass or quantity in the sub bass. It's got just enough to balance the signature but not enough to add weight to the low end. The low mids could use slightly more heft, although the very limited bass impact could be clouding my judgement on that.

Overall I think this is better than the Nicehck EB2, which it will probably be compared to.

The really bad: as soon as I tried them out the right driver started to rattle and distort at certain frequencies. I'm afraid this is another earbud to add to the list of failing in QC. Will need to get it replaced. :frowning2:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back