Earbuds Round-Up
Nov 7, 2018 at 4:35 PM Post #37,336 of 75,272
I received my RY4S today!

After burning them for 3 hours, they sound already very good to me. They have larger soundstage than GM500, they are bright but have less clarity and precision than GM500 in treble, but still very detailed overall.
Clearly, this is a V shape sounding, but definitely a good one.

They lack a bit of mids even if they are not lacking, it's just that they are a bit hidden due to bass and treble, but this is how V signature should be anyway.
I really enjoy the return of the subbass that were missing me a bit from EMX500S. Bass is really punchy but more controlled than MK2 I would say. Much enjoyment there!
MK2 has more mids presence and are softer. MK2 is more smooth in mids and highs, I prefer the energy of RY4S. Overall, I feel like I already prefer RY4S than MK2.
As usual, let's see how they wil performs in several days of proper burning :)

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2018 at 11:17 PM Post #37,337 of 75,272
Three albums in....have to stop...need lunch...almost 5pm, LOL. Dire Straits sounds great!

I will leave them burning in.

So, I wanted to ask your opinion. So far, compared to the vast collection of buds you have, how would you rate the SL 1.0+? I had my eye on a few from your collection, but curious if they would really be a step up from the SL 1.0+, or just more of the same (or worse).

Nov 7, 2018 at 11:57 PM Post #37,338 of 75,272
Received my FAAEAL Z Sound, looks like they're discontinued since all shop has removed them.
Overall they're fine for $5, cable feels durable like the Monk+, the shell is similar to EB2 without vent holes. The shell has nice finish and fits nicely to my small ear.
The sound is mid-centric with good bass slam mostly mid-bass. Sounds great with vocal and other kinds of music that don't have much instrument floating around. Separation is not good for a earbud, closer to an IEMs. Mid sometimes can be shouty which I utterly dislike. My brother has a pair of Snow Lotus 1.0+ and they sound way better than this despite costing more $3 :D
In conclusion,
JUST GO FOR THE SNOW LOTUS 1.0+.

Nov 8, 2018 at 5:44 AM Post #37,339 of 75,272
Speaking of burn in. My ry4s ue sounds really bright today. Is it me? Is is my source ? Plug it to my ole Fiio Q1 and its sounds normal bright, while its should be smoother.

How about others? Does your ry4s ue gradually becoming brighter with burn in ?

Nov 8, 2018 at 6:01 AM Post #37,340 of 75,272
Speaking of burn in. My ry4s ue sounds really bright today. Is it me? Is is my source ? Plug it to my ole Fiio Q1 and its sounds normal bright, while its should be smoother.

How about others? Does your ry4s ue gradually becoming brighter with burn in ?
My pair OOTB was already bright plugged on an "anti-bright" source (Fostex HP-8C), can't imagine on any other source! lol, but I will try :)

RY4S is very warm sounding, and very enveloping sound. Although there is some kind of coloration. I really like it, incredible bargain for the price.
Sometimes I'm asking myself why spending 200+ $$ on high end earbuds when you can have already very close sounding on these 10$ earbuds, can't imagine with some good cable swap! (silver/copper).
Personally I prefer RY4S instead of GM500 because GM500 is lacking a bit of bass extension to me, and I'm more accomodated to slight V sounding in general (due to my favorite music genres).

I will buy a pair of Snow Lotus 1.0+ once it will be available back and make a compare with RY4S :)

Nov 8, 2018 at 6:25 AM Post #37,341 of 75,272
Toneking Rose 1 Bass is quite light, Mids are very good, Treble very clean not sibilant. Sound stage is wide, Signature is balanced and bright. Great for folk and singer-songwriters.

FAAEAL Rosemary 150 ohm, Bass is thick and powerful, Mids are slightly recessed, Treble rolls off early so not sharp, Sound stage is small, Signature is on the dark side but great for rock and electronic music.

I prefer FAAEAL Rosemary 150 ohm as it has good punch with the music I like (I am using it with a good desktop amp though)

Thanks!

What do you thing about FAAEAL Rosemary 150 ohm VS Snow Lotus 1.0+ ?

Note: As a reference, my favorite earbuds are: Willsound MK2, EMX500, NiceHCK EB2.

Nov 8, 2018 at 10:14 AM Post #37,344 of 75,272
Oh boy these RY4S are good... They get close to my preferred sound sig. Just need to add slightly more to the bass-low mids emphasis when using thin ali foams and these give a visceral sound.

I love how raw and energetic these are, they sound open and big enough but intimate in its presentation. I would call them neither smooth nor harsh, just about right in terms of sounding textured but pleasant and non fatiguing.

Just adding a low shelf filter of +2db that contines into the low mids and these sound perfect. So I'm thinking (hoping more like) that opening the second bass port will have a similar effect...

Between these and the emx500 we are really spoiled with the quality of budget earbuds.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2018 at 10:28 AM Post #37,345 of 75,272
I'm definitely buying a second and third one of these RY4S and recabling them. 8 core SPC or OCC may work nicely here if it does indeed thicken up the lower frequencies.

Nov 8, 2018 at 10:36 AM Post #37,346 of 75,272
I'm definitely buying a second and third one of these RY4S and recabling them. 8 core SPC or OCC may work nicely here if it does indeed thicken up the lower frequencies.
I really think they worth a recabling too, but not sure what to choose: copper or silver ? copper will brings more bass than it needs already which could not be interesting, but silver will brings more clarity and then more brightness. What do you think?
I think I will go first for silver and see..

Nov 8, 2018 at 10:39 AM Post #37,347 of 75,272
So, I been bothering all you guys for a wile about what buds have good sub bass and blah blah blah, I decided to go with samsara's and ty hi-z hp320 but now I have my wonderful wife who is trying to find herself something just as good( what's mine is hers too so she has those two plus seahf 400ohms) she likes allot of old school hip hop ( wutang, MF doom etc) and she likes some classical ( her parents are balet choreographers/composers) because of this I find it hard to find her a good pair of buds, she didn't like ath-m50x she does like grado sr80 and emu purple hearts, but she doesn't like bright sound signatures, and we both use high impedance sources like zishan dsd, z3,z1 Walnut v2. We plan to get a little bear b4 and I have a Walnut F1 and fiio a3 what would be the best options around $50-130 that would have not such recessed mids, decent sub bass, and nice treble without being very bright.

I know I ask allot, I do appreciate your guys help, so far every recommended bud I got have been simply amazing, you guys really are awesome

Nov 8, 2018 at 10:50 AM Post #37,348 of 75,272
I really think they worth a recabling too, but not sure what to choose: copper or silver ? copper will brings more bass than it needs already which could not be interesting, but silver will brings more clarity and then more brightness. What do you think?
I think I will go first for silver and see..
Copper and thin foam if you need to tighten the bass but bring up the low mids slightly. It's already quite a bright earbud, copper will bring out the low mids more if the common consensus is to be believed. I thought the boosting was needed at around 600-1khz but actual that range was very close neutral to my ears, instead it was from 150-400 roughly speaking that benefitted the most from boosting, I'm guessing that's where the dip is, after boosting that vocals sound fuller, strings sound richer and there's no sense of V shape but more balanced and still very dynamic and big sounding.

The bass is great with full foams but since i prefer to use the thin foams to open up the sound, i feel there's no harm if the bass is boosted 1-2 db with the thin foams, it sounds right.

I think the upper mids-treble are at a really nice level and balance. Like a good headphone tuning. If a cable swap can enhance the low mids and not hinder the upper frequencies too much ill be very happy with the sound.

Something like the shozy bk cable would be perfect. Or an 8 core spc cable maybe.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2018 at 5:27 PM Post #37,349 of 75,272
About a year ago, @SweetEars and I have found UE RY4S and been recommending to this forum for the first time,
but it feels strange that at this time now UE RY4S is getting popular in this forum so much. . .:ksc75smile:

it's a late bloomer for sure. i also found out about it quite some time ago when my brother bought it. I guess when it came out, there are abundant other new earbuds that people bought other snd missed/didn't bother about the RY4S. now that the market is somewhat slowing down, these old gems seems to beginning to catch up

Nov 8, 2018 at 5:42 PM Post #37,350 of 75,272
So, I been bothering all you guys for a wile about what buds have good sub bass and blah blah blah, I decided to go with samsara's and ty hi-z hp320 but now I have my wonderful wife who is trying to find herself something just as good( what's mine is hers too so she has those two plus seahf 400ohms) she likes allot of old school hip hop ( wutang, MF doom etc) and she likes some classical ( her parents are balet choreographers/composers) because of this I find it hard to find her a good pair of buds, she didn't like ath-m50x she does like grado sr80 and emu purple hearts, but she doesn't like bright sound signatures, and we both use high impedance sources like zishan dsd, z3,z1 Walnut v2. We plan to get a little bear b4 and I have a Walnut F1 and fiio a3 what would be the best options around $50-130 that would have not such recessed mids, decent sub bass, and nice treble without being very bright.

I know I ask allot, I do appreciate your guys help, so far every recommended bud I got have been simply amazing, you guys really are awesome

Not sure others would agree it's great for rap music, but the fact she likes the Grado sound made me think of the Toneking TO400s.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back