Earbuds Round-Up
May 27, 2018 at 7:25 AM Post #31,473 of 75,499
May 27, 2018 at 11:08 AM Post #31,476 of 75,499
May 27, 2018 at 11:12 AM Post #31,477 of 75,499
My first gen zen just broke. So, here am I again in search for the new earbud. Any suggestion?
- oxidised cable and finally the wrapper broke.

Edit:

Currently looking at
- Shozy bk limited edition or the black
- mojito (size a little too big i think)
- re-buy yuin pk1 (broke by my ex for cleaning it together with my clothes in the washing machine)

Is the dragon+ on the massdrop good? as posted on the person above.

Last edited:
May 27, 2018 at 11:38 AM Post #31,478 of 75,499
Simphonio Dragon 2+ for $240 on Massdrop ($320 at Penon Audio). Drop closes in 5 days.
https://www.massdrop.com/buy/simphonio-dragon-2-earbuds

Which leaves me in the usual quandary about premium earbuds that use generic shells. If I spend that much on an earbud, I'd like it to look and feel premium.
What's Massdrops shipping like outside USA though? Don't you get screwed with taxes? Or does this ship from Asia?

It's tempting except I always hear people moaning about Massdrop being only beneficial to US customers.

Oh I see you are in the US so it's definitely worth it to you. I would avail of this offer too most likely if I was there because I really want to hear this bud.

Last edited:
May 27, 2018 at 11:43 AM Post #31,479 of 75,499
What's Massdrops shipping like outside USA though? Don't you get screwed with taxes? Or does this ship from Asia?

It's tempting except I always hear people moaning about Massdrop being only beneficial to US customers.

Oh I see you are in the US so it's definitely worth it to you. I would avail of this offer too most likely if I was there because I really want to hear this bud.

Massdrop ships from the US

With everything we have had sent to the UK we have paid the 20% VAT plus an additional customs fee if the value is above a certain amount... would have to look it up. Plus the £11 DHL fee (no matter what the cost of the item) or £8 if it is Royal Mail. Kind of erases any "deal."

Massdrop always declares the full amount and no packages from them sneak through.

It is really only worth it for a unique item that you cannot get any other way and you really really want.

Last edited:
May 27, 2018 at 11:51 AM Post #31,480 of 75,499
My first gen zen just broke. So, here am I again in search for the new earbud. Any suggestion?
- oxidised cable and finally the wrapper broke.

Edit:

Currently looking at
- Shozy bk limited edition or the black
- mojito (size a little too big i think)
- re-buy yuin pk1 (broke by my ex for cleaning it together with my clothes in the washing machine)

Is the dragon+ on the massdrop good? as posted on the person above.
Bk blue just adds a slight resolution increase and slightly more separation than standard bk as it's not a new driver but a cable upgrade according to the knowledgeable user clieOS. His preference in terms of price-performance was for the 2.5mm balanced bk black overall AFAIK because it had enough separation and the smoother quality of the copper cable which he seemed to enjoy over the more analytical bk blue I guess. I have the bk black and it's a great earbud with a high level of resolution already but suffers from a smallish soundstage. But its more vocal and mid orientated than impressive bass and treble extension. Although maybe the bk blue adds more extension not sure, the search function may help you find his post on it. Bk blue for 3.5mm and bk black for 2.5mm was his preference if I remember correctly.

Mojito is just a way different beast, I don't think its the upgrade you'll look for though. It's extremely analytical and revealing of detail but it's vocals and upper mids are recessed and it's really only suited to classical and jazz tbh. (I own this too)

Dragon s2+ is really promising and highly praised but Massdrop shipping policy outside the US will envoke taxes right? Could end up being costly like the stock price.

Last edited:
May 27, 2018 at 11:53 AM Post #31,481 of 75,499
Massdrop ships from the US

With everything we have had sent to the UK we have paid the 20% VAT plus an additional customs fee if the value is above a certain amount... would have to look it up. Plus the £11 DHL fee (no matter what the cost of the item) or £8 if it is Royal Mail. Kind of erases any "deal."

Massdrop always declares the full amount and no packages from them sneak through.

It is really only worth it for a unique item that you cannot get any other way and you really really want.
that's what I feared thanks for confirming, DHL in particular are real money grabbers when it comes to the 'fees' which they add on because they can.

May 27, 2018 at 12:15 PM Post #31,482 of 75,499
I could never spend that on a bud or iem... too fragile
It's funny reading what the Massdrop community is questioning about these earbuds and their price. In some ways, I've come to agree with it after buying about 30 earbuds. There has to be some kind of effort to make the housings nicer on a $200+ earbud. When you see something like the new Campfire Audio Comets (for $200), these just don't make sense anymore for that kind of money. IMO...

May 27, 2018 at 12:22 PM Post #31,483 of 75,499
It's funny reading what the Massdrop community is questioning about these earbuds and their price. In some ways, I've come to agree with it after buying about 30 earbuds. There has to be some kind of effort to make the housings nicer on a $200+ earbud. When you see something like the new Campfire Audio Comets (for $200), these just don't make sense anymore for that kind of money. IMO...

well... I did see a photo of a bud with a solid silver shell...maybe there are gold ones also.

Encrust them with diamonds or rubies or emeralds...

May 27, 2018 at 1:06 PM Post #31,485 of 75,499
Yeah gotta agree with that. They could use the yuin shell even just make a metal version... Seems like a money saving scheme to me rather than a SQ element as we know metal shell earbuds are already used effectively in earbuds like Moondrop nameless up to liebesleid or K's ling/poseidon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back