Earbuds Round-Up
Mar 30, 2018 at 4:44 AM Post #29,612 of 75,148
Also does anyone have any recommendations around the 100-400$ mark which can be driven straight from a phone?
I like the hifiboy dream. Just found out yesterday that donut foam would give them a more energetic sound...if you have a decent phone like iPhone I think its one of the best sound you can have. The build is great too. I wrote a review and really liked it.

Did you check cypherus audio? A handcrafted one man business from Indonesia.
https://www.cypherusaudio.com/
I have Campfred 1 I think it's very nice. It's perhaps objectively not the best value, (I think it's 160usd+40usd) technically you'll find better earphones at lower price in Chinese market but the sound signature is really well made and very engaging. Making it worthwhile if you are looking for musicality. (My opinion). also Campfred 1 is easy to drive but I think all of his earbuds are. CF2 had really positive feedback in this thread.
To give an idea about "value" I think CF1 is on the same level than hifiboy dream. It's actually slightly lower in pure technicality but the sound is a bit more engaging and musical. dream is a new unknown brand so they lowered their earphones price. Cypherus is well known and highly regarded so it's the opposite...

IF you have a budget phone, please consider some earbuds below 30usd. There is some excellent gems.

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2018 at 5:07 AM Post #29,613 of 75,148
Besides the badge, there have been different versions of Mojito with the body made with transparent or opaque colored plastic. The blue version has been described as superior to the transparent:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/earbuds-round-up.441400/page-1257#post-13339704
However, only the transparent body has been available for the past year (I've been checking). Vendors on AliExpress still list different color options but only have transparent in stock, for example: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Ros...hile-Detachable-Cable-Earbud/32778507302.html

I have directly comfirmed with Rose Tech. that there are only two versions of Mojito ever being produced, as described in my previous post.

One thing to note is that some of the last few pair of the original red/blue badge limited edition actually already started using the rectangle badge (mainly are made for Ali sellers) and so owners of these Mojito might have mistaken their version as the newer version, even though those are not.

As for the color of the body, they are not an indication of version as Rose had made different color options available at different time and sometime even took custom order.

Mar 30, 2018 at 5:25 AM Post #29,614 of 75,148
Considering getting the black ling or the toneking400s, anyone got any expirence between these two?

for me black ling is has weird fit. toneking to400s have better fit thus 'better' sound (still subjective?).

toneking pretty clean/neutral (no fatigue or anything like that) if you compare with other earbuds here. can't really compare with black ling due to fit issues.

imho full hiegi foams gets the most pleasant experience from to400s.

imho better pay price difference between black ling and to400s to your favorite cable maker (@PETEREK here).

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2018 at 6:54 AM Post #29,615 of 75,148
@chaiyuta That’s a little unfair. I’m enthusiastic about helping people who are you to judge me for that. What does ‘act pro wanna be’ even mean? Pro at what? Trying to help people or be active in the forum? No I’ve never called myself an expert or pro when I give my opinion and I never tell people theirs is worth less than mine but obviously you have that illusion about me.

I tried to apologise to you and you ignored my message. But I’d appreciate it if you were not rude to me and kept your quotes on topic.

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2018 at 7:14 AM Post #29,616 of 75,148
Listen to a most genres, most often vocal acoustic or pop music, EDM, rap, or classical. Pretty sensitive to treble so anything too bright is a no go for me. I plan on driving it from a chord mojo or straight out of a samsung note 8 on the move.

I haven't read all the latest replies on this thread so you might have gotten this recommendation already, but a solid earbud that is also easily driven (32 ohm I think) is Cypherus CampFred 2. Smooth but still detailed treble and actual sub bass (in an earbud!). Zero brightness or sibilance.

They cost $199 excluding shipping and are made by a tiny Indonesian company called Cypherus. You can check out the Cypherus audio Facebook page or contacy Herry of Cypherus here on Head fi. Or go to the Cypherus homepage: https://www.cypherusaudio.com/

CampFred 2 uses standard Sennheiser MX400/500 housings and some people might find those too big. Shozy Stardust/BK is another great TOTL earbud that uses smaller housings but which is slightly more bright and has got less sub bass than CampFred 2. I am quite sensitive to brightness and I don't have any problem with my pair of Stardust. I have sold earbuds in the past because I could not live with the "hot" treble.

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2018 at 7:22 AM Post #29,617 of 75,148
Also does anyone have any recommendations around the 100-400$ mark which can be driven straight from a phone?
Depends on your phone. I have the Iphone 6s and it can drive moderately difficult to drive earbuds and portable headphones, but I also bought an LG V20 which can drive many full size headphones and any earbud pretty much. Some of the latest phones are surprisingly powerful, but others are capped by the manufacturer etc.

Mar 30, 2018 at 7:35 AM Post #29,618 of 75,148
to everyone: has anybody tried those weird Dunu Alpha 1 hybrids? how are the good ole Yuins holding up in today's market, particularly the PK1 and OK1? that form factor is by far the best (and sexiest!) for me, as far as earbuds go.

I really liked Dunu Alpha's sound and tried to convince myself to keep them. But unfortunately the fit was too poor for my ears. The Alphas are just too big for me. I found the combination of dynamic driver for lows mids and BA driver for highs to be quite unique. If dunu could release a new version of Alpha that was a bit better fit wise, I would buy it.

I really liked Yuin PK1, but actually think that most curent TOTL earbuds are better...

Mar 30, 2018 at 7:43 AM Post #29,619 of 75,148
@seanc6441 : you have never tried those earbuds, why don't you just leave those questions to who has real experience answers those question. @mbwilson111 friendly warned you. do you really think that your action is really good? If it is really good why others have to warn you? and you always judge how earbuds sound without actual listening to others. If you really think my statement is a little unfair, you will not type later sentences in a way more serious. Do you really want to apologize me from the bottom of heart? Please reconsider yourself.

Mar 30, 2018 at 8:07 AM Post #29,620 of 75,148
@seanc6441 : you have never tried those earbuds, why don't you just leave those questions to who has real experience answers those question. @mbwilson111 friendly warned you. do you really think that your action is really good? If it is really good why others have to warn you? and you always judge how earbuds sound without actual listening to others. If you really think my statement is a little unfair, you will not type later sentences in a way more serious. Do you really want to apologize me from the bottom of heart? Please reconsider yourself.
Yes actually I was apologising because you felt I had been disrespectful or something quoting your impressions, I didn’t intend that so I apologised and tried to ‘mend the bridge’ with you. I never want to make enemies I’m here for the same reason as you, we love earbuds :)

I don’t proclaim to own these earbuds, I mirror sentiments that have been said by others in the thread who do own them. Ok yes on that occasion I said ‘maybe, I feel, could be’ a little too much, and I acknowledged that to mbwilson in my reply.

If we all only answered questions to gear we own and don’t use our knowledge of others opinions or research we have done, isn’t this putting all the responsibility on ClieOS and 3-4 other members with this much gear to answer every question?

If I say clearly that I’m quoting the opinion of someone who owns it, or recommend something because 9/10 people on the form have praised it. Is this not acceptable? Like wise I will always say ‘let someone who owns this earbud add to the discussion’ if I’m not sure.

But in the end we are all here for the earbuds, and if it bothers people I will be more restrained in my responses to people seeking advice.

My apology was genuine, I don’t apologise for no reason, I want to be on good terms with people on here as this is a cool place to share our opinions and interest in earbuds.

Let’s call a truce?

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2018 at 8:35 AM Post #29,621 of 75,148
@seanc6441
We are hear differently, because of fit, source, personal knowledge and preferences, etc. I think it is very important for the quality and health of the thread to only share our own impressions and not echoes the one of others. I think it's also written in the rules somewhere. The best way you can help imo is tell someone there is a search button in this thread and some impressions has already been made.
:)
On another note I find problematic to recommend someone earphones you didn't heard yourself. Don't believe the hype!
@chaiyuta if someone bothers you that much you can try to solve the issue in PM , also the "ignore" button works pretty well. Public witch-hunt is not nice for anyone...

Mar 30, 2018 at 8:47 AM Post #29,622 of 75,148
@seanc6441
We are hear differently, because of fit, source, personal knowledge and preferences, etc. I think it is very important for the quality and health of the thread to only share our own impressions and not echoes the one of others. I think it's also written in the rules somewhere. The best way you can help imo is tell someone there is a search button in this thread and some impressions has already been made.
:)
On another note I find problematic to recommend someone earphones you didn't heard yourself. Don't believe the hype!
@chaiyuta if someone bothers you that much you can try to solve the issue in PM , also the "ignore" button works pretty well. Public witch-hunt is not nice for anyone...
I realise that and I will work on it, I do see how it’s reducing the validity of the advice if I use language like “maybe, possibly etc” when giving advice as it’s not concrete. So I will work on that and only give advice to seek info from owners and provide direct quotes for the person to decide himself.

But as an example someone has asked advice a page back on buying a TOTL earbud and was looking for something non fatiguing in the treble. I have just bought the black ling after researching a little and reading the opinion of ClieOS, so I suggested to him to check that bud out and quoted ClieOS’s very informative post on the K’s white/black ling and Poseidon.

Is this not helpful to people? Am I wrong to suggest it and provide first hand info to him because I have not heard it yet?

Not being smart it’s an honest question, it’s good to know the line between helpful advice and inaccurate/misleading advice. Thanks!

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2018 at 8:54 AM Post #29,623 of 75,148

My humble suggestion is you do like The Beatles and "Let It Be", you´re free to say what you want but I recommend the "Mbwilson Book of Style" because once you get into personal territory things can get ugly, Sean was gentlemanlike in his offering of an appology and to move on. If you can´t then I propose a duel tomorrow at dawn, I will be the second of both of you and the weapon of choice shall be water pistols. :yum:

Mar 30, 2018 at 8:55 AM Post #29,624 of 75,148
Is this not helpful to people? Am I wrong to suggest it and provide first hand info to him because I have not heard it yet?

While I think all of this topic rather belongs to PM's, your advice is helpful to me and probably to the others. I see what the others mean, you shouldn't post believes about earbuds, but it's perfectly fine to state what others have said (if you mark it like that - and you do), especially as you help pretty quick (and a sale needs quick responses :) ).
Thus, I can't understand the aggressiveness of others in this topic. This is the same attitude of people we have to thank for because of which ClieOS' removed his ranking.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back