Earbuds Round-Up
Feb 21, 2018 at 10:21 AM Post #28,486 of 75,249
Penon BS1 Official rear shell is as same as Toneking Unicorn, so in my memory they share nearly same soundstage width, and I don't surprise why I can't tolerate its width of soundstage and finally I resold it. Perhaps I am spoiled with better things.

Feb 21, 2018 at 12:59 PM Post #28,487 of 75,249
i want to also suggest the Radsone Earstudio, but unless they start selling again, i would only sound like a tease

I lost my BTR1 on Monday (it involved a mountain, skiis, deep powder <edit: add foolishness>... you get the picture), and Radsone just made their Earstudio available at amazon.ca this morning. Planetary alignment.

I hope it's really good so that I can rub it in to sean. Then again, he'll have the n5ii soon, so he'll probably be the one rubbing it in lol.

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2018 at 3:46 PM Post #28,488 of 75,249
I lost my BTR1 on Monday (it involved a mountain, skiis, deep powder <edit: add foolishness>... you get the picture), and Radsone just made their Earstudio available at amazon.ca this morning. Planetary alignment.

I hope it's really good so that I can rub it in to sean. Then again, he'll have the n5ii soon, so he'll probably be the one rubbing it in lol.

Hmm, while it's tempting, I can't think of a reason to own both it and the XB10. The Earstudio really reminds me of a Clip by design.

Feb 21, 2018 at 3:51 PM Post #28,489 of 75,249
I recently bought two new earphones after experiencing what the VE monk plus had to offer for the price range. I decided to get the Fengru EMX500S (with blue cable) for fun and the DIY PK2 from a recommendation. I would like to make a short comparison between the monks and the EMX500s that I got. The PK2s are still in the air somewhere in the US.

Everyone here is rather knowledge of the Monk plus' sound signature as, for many, the monks are what got us here in the first place.
To MY ears (emphasis on MY):

For me, the Monks have very little low-end extension, weak but clean mid-bass response, forward mids - both male and female vocals sound wonderful on the monks with female vocals just edging out slightly, and the highs are detailed and spacious but when listening on high volumes, I found that the higher frequencies tend to get a little too hot at times.

From my listening session with both the monks and the EMX500S, here are some direct sonic differences that I have noticed:
Bass:
The Fengru has much deeper subbass. The low end extension on this earphone is killer. I typically listen to Yosi Horikawa's : Wandering for a taste of subbass frequencies and wow did this earbud shock me. I never really expected the subbass to reach this deep on an earphone which in some cases even beats out some of my leaner iems.
The midbass was well done and I could clearly tell from the overall sound sig that this earbud was more focused on the bass than any other frequency (compared to the monks).
However, that came with some caveats.

Mids:
To me, the Fengru mids were just not as magical as the monk mids. I do prefer a forward midrange and the lower mids on the Fengru were a little too distant for my absolute pleasure. Don't get me wrong however, the mids are still very intelligible and I found that the tiny amount of bass bleed unto the mids were very very negligible. As a result though, the lower mids were distant and I found that Dean, a Korean R&B artist I love, didn't have the same magical buttery smooth and lush vocal presence on the EMX500S when listening to his new song: Instagram compared to the monks. Female vocals were better as they were more forward than the male vocals and cello and higher piano notes sounded wonderful. Overall, the mids are to me a mixed bag. The male vocal representation (which is my personal favorite zone) was not up to my standards but they were very intelligible and clear, it was just a personal preference thing for me. The female vocals were great, still somewhat distant, but still much more manageable to me than the lower mid range.

Treble:
The Fengru are very laid back in terms of the treble. Coming from the monks, which were just slightly a bit too hot for my ears at high volumes, the Fengru has less treble extension and that led to a very laid back earphone sound signature. I can see myself blasting the Fengrus and not worrying too much about fatigue as I would have given I was listening to the monks. Coming from the monks, the EMX500S were slightly lacking and didn't have the sparkle I was looking for. Nonetheless, I felt the treble was still adequate and that the laid back treble was a bonus for extended listening sessions. The electronic music list that I use to test higher frequencies just felt slightly constricting to me however coming from the monks.

I honestly do not know how to gauge the size of the soundstage nor do I know how to accurately say whether the imaging was good or bad but I never felt that the soundstage was congested like when I listen to some closed back headphones and some IEMs. The imaging seemed to be very good from my ignorant experience.

I would also like to add that I did not do any foam-rolling of any sort. I used the stock foams that came with the EMX500s and I used the stock thin monk foams on the monks.

Overall, I think that the Fengru EMX 500S are a wonderful set of earbuds that for the price, have a definite positive value. Personally for me, the lower-mid range was slightly distant but the subbass and the midbass on these were just awesome compared to the Monks. I definitely think that the EMX500S do make a very good complementary earbud to the monks as they are perfect for more modern, slightly low-end emphasized music intended for long listening sessions whereas the monks I thought were perfect for more vocal driven detailed music. Hope that helps for people who are thinking of getting the EMX500S and who only have the monks to compare with. I am not an audiophile and I do not have the best ears. These are my personal impressions so take everything I said with a grain of salt. With that in mind, the Fengru EMX500S are pretty darn good for the price they are offered at. I can't wait to get the PK2s as those are the earbuds i'm really waiting for. Listen on everyone!

Feb 21, 2018 at 4:16 PM Post #28,490 of 75,249
Hmm, while it's tempting, I can't think of a reason to own both it and the XB10. The Earstudio really reminds me of a Clip by design.

Go skiing in powder with your XB10. Then you can get the Earstudio :wink:

Feb 21, 2018 at 4:19 PM Post #28,491 of 75,249
HA. It falls under my no way in hell am I taking that into a risky situation gear as I really do like it. I'd probably go skiing with one of my small daps so if it dies it dies.

Feb 21, 2018 at 6:08 PM Post #28,492 of 75,249
Hello! This is my first post...I have been a long time lurker and I have learned a lot from this 1900 page thread on earbud round ups.

I recently purchased the Rose Mojito for a great deal on eBay. However, when I tried them on and compared them to my existing headphones, it didn't come off to me as "better than the rest" given the hype they have been given.

I tested them vs the Monk+, Cygnus, BK. The Mojito in my opinion is worse [to me] than the Cygnus and BK. I love those two so much. I'm listening on the FiiO Q5 via USB and using Spotify Premium [streaming OGG if I recall correctly]. The Mojito has been revered by many enthusiasts and some reviewers say it rivals some good quality headphones. When I go home from work today I will try to compare them with my HE-400i, DT770p, M50s just to see if it is even comparable.

A big concern I have is the Mojito I have looks different from the ones I see for sale by retailers, I can't find a picture online of the one I received so I'm questioning it's authenticity. The sibilance is crazy, all the highs blend with each other to create a white noise-like sound and really fatiguing to listen to at my normal listening volume. It is really disappointing to listen with and had to take them off at work today to swap back to my Shozy BKs.

Here's the eBay sale I purchased from: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rose-Technics-Mojito-HiFi-Earbuds-Dual-Dynamic-Driver-amp-Case-Rose-Mojito-/162890135198?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&nma=true&si=vxp2OzjDqG%2BFAeTAts3ct9CdQOs%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

Can y'all give me a little feedback on your experience with the Mojito and let me know if you've seen the design of the one I bought? I appreciate it!

edit: An immediate example of my concern is I can't listen to the whole track of Get Up - Technotronic because the up-beat hi-hats going the entire track is so rich where my ears are fatigued by just a minute in.

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2018 at 6:49 PM Post #28,493 of 75,249
I haven't seen that particular design, as I'm only aware of two. The Masya which came out after has at least 3 designs I know of, so it's still quite possible it's a limited release design, or a newer one that hasn't been posted yet. I'm not one to cry fake, so I'd still hold out hope for now. Hopefully someone with more knowledge can shine some light.

Feb 21, 2018 at 6:56 PM Post #28,494 of 75,249
edit: An immediate example of my concern is I can't listen to the whole track of Get Up - Technotronic because the up-beat hi-hats going the entire track is so rich where my ears are fatigued by just a minute in.

Wow - been a while since I heard that one lol! Hi hats sound fine with my Vmoda M100's :wink:

Feb 21, 2018 at 6:57 PM Post #28,495 of 75,249
I haven't seen that particular design, as I'm only aware of two. The Masya which came out after has at least 3 designs I know of, so it's still quite possible it's a limited release design, or a newer one that hasn't been posted yet. I'm not one to cry fake, so I'd still hold out hope for now. Hopefully someone with more knowledge can shine some light.

Yes, I've only seen two designs as well. I sent a message to the seller to see if he can provide me some info on them. The seller is not offering refunds.

Feb 21, 2018 at 7:30 PM Post #28,497 of 75,249
Hello! This is my first post...I have been a long time lurker and I have learned a lot from this 1900 page thread on earbud round ups.

I recently purchased the Rose Mojito for a great deal on eBay. However, when I tried them on and compared them to my existing headphones, it didn't come off to me as "better than the rest" given the hype they have been given.

I tested them vs the Monk+, Cygnus, BK. The Mojito in my opinion is worse [to me] than the Cygnus and BK. I love those two so much. I'm listening on the FiiO Q5 via USB and using Spotify Premium [streaming OGG if I recall correctly]. The Mojito has been revered by many enthusiasts and some reviewers say it rivals some good quality headphones. When I go home from work today I will try to compare them with my HE-400i, DT770p, M50s just to see if it is even comparable.

A big concern I have is the Mojito I have looks different from the ones I see for sale by retailers, I can't find a picture online of the one I received so I'm questioning it's authenticity. The sibilance is crazy, all the highs blend with each other to create a white noise-like sound and really fatiguing to listen to at my normal listening volume. It is really disappointing to listen with and had to take them off at work today to swap back to my Shozy BKs.

Here's the eBay sale I purchased from: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rose-Technics-Mojito-HiFi-Earbuds-Dual-Dynamic-Driver-amp-Case-Rose-Mojito-/162890135198?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&nma=true&si=vxp2OzjDqG%2BFAeTAts3ct9CdQOs%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

Can y'all give me a little feedback on your experience with the Mojito and let me know if you've seen the design of the one I bought? I appreciate it!

I would ask the seller when he bought these Rose Mojito's. I have had mine for over a year and a few months, and they have the stuck on faceplate on the side. I recall (fuzzy memory) that when I was looking to buy these (11.11 sale 2016) there may have been pictures with this outer shell design still up on Penon Audio. I'm thinking that these may be the original version of these buds. I may be wrong. You might want to ask @Golov or @ClieOS since they've had theirs for some time now. Maybe they might know. I also do not recognize that cable as one that has been offered since I bought mine. You may go back on this thread, maybe there is a picture that might help...

Feb 21, 2018 at 8:04 PM Post #28,498 of 75,249
I can't think of a reason to own both it and the XB10

If you already have xb10 then it is unnecessary to have the earstudio also. The only advantage i think is that the earstudio works as a usb dac for phones while the xb10 (as far as i know) cannnot

The sibilance is crazy, all the highs blend with each other to create a white noise-like sound and really fatiguing to listen to at my normal listening volume. It is really disappointing to listen with and had to take them off at work today to swap back to my Shozy BKs.

My friend have that particular version, and your description on how it sound was spot on. I think i can only stand listening to them for classical music. Vocals and modern music was unbearable.

Feb 21, 2018 at 9:07 PM Post #28,499 of 75,249
@thehypewan : that rear shell and painted logo is another iteration of rose mojito if you buy directly from the official rose taobao store. It is genuine one. Among stock cable, I ever tried copper-silver twisted inside insulator cable one. That is quite decent one. Not only Masya even Rose Mojito, there is a few minor iteration on each batch as well. This is beyond my experience. Some said he prefer 2014 batch over 2016 bacth and vice versa something likes that.
My humble suggestion is to try the well-known brand upgraded cables. However, if you are cable hater, do ignore my suggestion and resale your rose mojito.

Feb 21, 2018 at 9:50 PM Post #28,500 of 75,249
@thehypewan
as far as I know, these Mojito are legal, but as for the signature of the sound, I always said that they are not suitable for vocal genres of music (Masya is more universal for this, IMHO). Try them with thick foams over rubber rings, also try changing the polarity of connecting the detachable cable.
mojito.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back