Earbuds Round-Up
Feb 4, 2018 at 2:18 AM Post #27,991 of 75,400
Just did a little experiment I concocted earlier in the week; I put in my Monks, then placed my closed over-ear headphones on over top (detachable cable removed). I wanted to test if/how isolation would affect the sound; I've seen how placing hands over the cups on my open-back headphones muffles the sound.

The result of this experiment was about what I expected; the buds lost much of their "richness" and body. They need the open air to thrive it would seem :dt880smile: I think if I needed isolation, I would just use headphones (or IEMs at a pinch), as this kind of finagling doesn't have a positive effect.

Some time ago I did something similar, I put the KSC75 inside my LCD-2f. It was surprisingly good - probably even better than just the KSC75 by itself, just goes to show how much enclosure can affect sound. I've also tried Moondrop nameless + STAX + LSR305 (all playing at the same time) and it's the really strange and doesn't sound too good. The phase gets all out of whack and you can really hear it.

Feb 4, 2018 at 4:23 AM Post #27,992 of 75,400
I like the EMX500 balanced sound and how it's treble is not piercing to the ears. Does upgrading to Masya be in line with that sound signature? I'm betting the Masya is way better. Just want to ensure it's not like needles when other people describe its sound as bright and hot on top. I might pull the trigger on the Rose vs the BS1 and BK.

Feb 4, 2018 at 4:29 AM Post #27,993 of 75,400
I like the EMX500 balanced sound and how it's treble is not piercing to the ears. Does upgrading to Masya be in line with that sound signature? I'm betting the Masya is way better. Just want to ensure it's not like needles when other people describe its sound as bright and hot on top. I might pull the trigger on the Rose vs the BS1 and BK.

it's a little different. the K's 500 or samsara is more similar to EMX500

Feb 4, 2018 at 5:24 AM Post #27,994 of 75,400
I've also tried Moondrop nameless + STAX + LSR305 (all playing at the same time) and it's the really strange and doesn't sound too good. The phase gets all out of whack and you can really hear it.
What a bizarre thing to do. The speakers will certainly get out of whack with the headphones. How was it without the speakers (just Moondrop + Stax)?

Feb 4, 2018 at 6:51 AM Post #27,996 of 75,400
I'm not sure if that's true. The (now discontinued, sadly) Philips SHE3905 cost between $10-20 and those are at least as good. That was a bona fide giant killer (medium sized giants)

thanks for the suggestion , I'll take your word for it :smiley::thumbsup:. i can still find them on my local store, i will definitely try them

Feb 4, 2018 at 7:36 AM Post #27,997 of 75,400
it's a little different. the K's 500 or samsara is more similar to EMX500

Thanks for the suggestion. I was initially considering the samsara but the high impedance might be an issue as I will be using it with a smartphone. No amp but probably with a dragonfly red/black. Im just concerned really that people are saying that the masya is too bright same with its higher end brother the Mojito. If treble is extended but just with the right sparkle then I might bite it.

Feb 4, 2018 at 8:01 AM Post #27,998 of 75,400
Some time ago I did something similar, I put the KSC75 inside my LCD-2f. It was surprisingly good - probably even better than just the KSC75 by itself, just goes to show how much enclosure can affect sound. I've also tried Moondrop nameless + STAX + LSR305 (all playing at the same time) and it's the really strange and doesn't sound too good. The phase gets all out of whack and you can really hear it.

The KSC75 enclosed in a full size closed back/semi closed back cup is the Stratokosster! It’s a popular diy mod to drastically improve the SQ apparently. Kind of like the sennheiser px100 > Senngrado build.
I usually say emx500 users will enjoy the masya due to extension and a similar signature just with better mids on the masya, but listen to chinmie as the samsara is probably a better bet being slightly u shaped and probably a thicker sound than masya so more akin to the emx500.

Also masya is a different kind of brightness, it does have a bright tonality and slightly lifted trrble but it’s not harsh at all! It’s very smooth and easily tolerable with foams. It’s got excellent treble to my ears and I do not enjoy harsh treble at all.

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2018 at 8:04 AM Post #27,999 of 75,400
Thanks for the suggestion. I was initially considering the samsara but the high impedance might be an issue as I will be using it with a smartphone. No amp but probably with a dragonfly red/black. Im just concerned really that people are saying that the masya is too bright same with its higher end brother the Mojito. If treble is extended but just with the right sparkle then I might bite it.

i think the dragonfly could handle the samsara just fine.

the masya is neutral smooth, with nice mids, while the Mojito has recessed mids and more brittle highs compared to masya.

Feb 4, 2018 at 8:07 AM Post #28,000 of 75,400
Anybody wanna give an impression of the **** zx1?

Feb 4, 2018 at 10:10 AM Post #28,001 of 75,400
Have earbuds gotten so good that traditional open-back headphones are effectively obsolete, at least for those of us afflicted with the earbud disease?

I recently got a pair of Audio Technica AD2000s, which are very, very good headphones. But I keep asking myself what they bring to the table that my very, very good earbuds don't, and I keep failing to come up with a good answer. The soundstage is more well-formed and holographic, on the ATHs, maybe more precise, in a way that I've never heard an earbud match. But I've never had an earbud that cost this much either. I'll need to spend more time with the AD2ks before giving up on them and putting them up for sale, but that's the direction this seems to be heading, and I'm probably going to be done with open dynamic cans after this. I keep thinking "I could have bought a new Mojito for about the same price!"

I suppose that the very best of the best full-size open cans aren't going to be threatened by earbuds very soon, but for anything less than that topmost tier, earbuds seem to replace them in the same way that IEMs don't replace closed-back full-sizers.

:)

I cannot foresee the day that i will give up my headphones. You will have to take them from my cold dead hands.

cold dead hands.gif

Feb 4, 2018 at 10:18 AM Post #28,002 of 75,400
Feb 4, 2018 at 10:23 AM Post #28,003 of 75,400
SW-Dragon 2 Plus.

Exciting news - I'll have this coming in 2~3 weeks, hopefully. Hard to say in certain since Chineae New Year is just around the corner, so there could be some delay.

Also, for those who are interested in IEM, Simphonio / Sunrise is also releasing an updated version of their old flagship IEM, the Xcited 2.

Feb 4, 2018 at 11:50 AM Post #28,004 of 75,400
The iPhone will drive the Samsaras, though if you like to listen at loud volumes, it may not be enough for you. Some cases will make it difficult to plug the Samsaras directly into the headphone jack (assuming you have an older iPhone that still has one!) The plug on the Samsaras is quite beefy, and it won't plug all the way into my phone with the clutz-proof case on it.

Edited to add: I received the RY4S with blue braided cable yesterday. These have a LOT of bass for a bud! Had fun listening with hip hop on these, but the response esp with vocals feels a bit sluggish.

I also got those Anime edition Seahfs. I love the box and the look of the cable, but sound quality is average and the light blue rubber on the cable smells funny.

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2018 at 11:59 AM Post #28,005 of 75,400
Exciting news - I'll have this coming in 2~3 weeks, hopefully. Hard to say in certain since Chineae New Year is just around the corner, so there could be some delay.

Also, for those who are interested in IEM, Simphonio / Sunrise is also releasing an updated version of their old flagship IEM, the Xcited 2.
man, another new one......

where can i buy this

Users who are viewing this thread

Back