Earbuds Round-Up
Feb 2, 2018 at 4:43 PM Post #27,916 of 75,542
Man, I love it when I notice new things in old songs.

I'm sitting at work in a calm period relistening to some things I'd never listened to on my Monks+, and..

The track "Tennis Court" by Lorde has all these little details that I never paid to before I started seriously using my Monks+.

For example:

1. There's a continuous "snap" sound (I think it's an actual human-generated snap, but I'm not sure) that has an echo to it that I never heard before on anything.

2. There's this sweeping hi-hat-like sound that does this really cool loop instead of a standard sweep.

So instead of doing this:

Left Ear ----------------------> Right Ear
Left Ear <---------------------- Right Ear

It does this:
---> Left Ear

Again, I've never heard this in this song before today.

Through all of this, all of these effects and sounds never get lost (too much) in the mix, and I can pick them out pretty easily. I never get a really "out-of-head" moment with the Monks+, but their positioning really gets me sometimes.

Whether all of that was the Monks+ or just me listening more closely, I can't fully say, but now I'm even more excited for the BS1s.

Feb 2, 2018 at 4:57 PM Post #27,917 of 75,542
I've been wanting to try a pair like that. Is there anything worth trying for under $50? Or is the ATH-EW9 worth the price they go for at auction site #1?

There used to be. Dunu DN-C60II was discontinued just a few years ago but used to cost around $35. Sounds pretty damn good. Yuin G2A is very airy and lucid sounding. Too bad that it was discontinued. I bought my pair for a little over $40. You can still buy the high impedance G1 but it costs over $100. The market for clip ons is far worse than it used to be for earbuds a few years ago...

I haven't heard ATH EW9 but own a pair of the older ATH EM9d. It is very balanced and neutral sounding. Moreso than EW9, at least what I have gathered from reviews.

I bought 3 pairs of clip ons from Yahoo auction in Japan through Buyee. Something like JVC HP-AL600-B can be found for a little less than $50 with shipping and agent fees from Buyee or some other Yahoo auction agent.

Haven't tried KSC75. The focus was mainly on Japanese ones like JVC/Victor, Audio Technica or Pioneer. But still my main recommendations would be the Yuin and Dunu.

Sorry for the off topic post.

Feb 2, 2018 at 5:04 PM Post #27,918 of 75,542
I spent a small fortune buying earbuds thanks to you guys, hate you....well not really.
This is what I have bought and tested (Allowed 10 hour burn-in)

1. TY Hi-Z 32
2. Monk Plus (Decent)
3. KZ ZS6 (IEM...I know)
4. Vido (Decent)
5. NICEHCK DIY
6. EMX500 (Awesome)
7. SHE3800
8. EMX500S (King)

For me there was absolutely no contest. Me and my girlfriend took a few days listening to each one and we were both in agreement.
The EMX500S blew the other ones away, so much that we started laughing when going back to listen to the other ones.

Dead serious. The soundstage felt wider, the bass satisfied my soul while providing sparkling highs, vocals are just beautiful here. If anybody wants to skip spending a bunch of money and get right to the real deal, get the EMX500S

While it sounded the best, it’s not perfect, what is right?
You do hear some noise in your ear if you are moving around but it’s just a small annoyance. I added a donut foam and solved most of that issue.
It’s amazing what these earbuds can do, just floored.
It’s so good, my Grado SR125e’s are collecting dust.

I ordered these today to see if it can knock off the EMX500S as the king

1. FAAEAL Snow-lotus 1.0/1.0+ HiFi Earphone 64 Ohm
2. DIY PK1 pk2 SR2 PRO
3. TY Hi-Z HP-150s

TYSON.png

As of now the EMX500S is like Mike Tyson in his prime, I hope it stays that way, I like my ear intact
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/New...32841881186.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.I1CoRZ

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2018 at 5:16 PM Post #27,921 of 75,542
5. NICEHCK DIY

<snip>

Dead serious. The soundstage felt wider, the bass satisfied my soul while providing sparkling highs, vocals are just beautiful here. If anybody wants to skip spending a bunch of money and get right to the real deal, get the EMX500S

Ha - love your enthusiasm! Glad you're so happy with them. These are the ones that you linked to:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/New...arphone-HiFi-Bass-Earbuds-DJ/32841881186.html

These are the "DIY MX500" that I have:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/100...ass-Earbuds-DJ-Earbuds-Heavy/32789378048.html

Do you know if they are the same or different?

Also, what are the NICEHCK DIY that you reference above?

Feb 2, 2018 at 5:25 PM Post #27,922 of 75,542
I spent a small fortune buying earbuds thanks to you guys, hate you....well not really.

1. TY Hi-Z 32
2. Monk Plus (Decent)
3. KZ ZS6 (IEM...I know)
4. Vido (Decent)
5. NICEHCK DIY
6. EMX500 (Awesome)
7. SHE3800
8. EMX500S (King)

For me there was absolutely no contest. Me and my girlfriend took a few days listening to each one and we were both in agreement.
The EMX500S blew the other ones away, so much that we started laughing when going back to listen to the other ones.

You do hear some noise in your ear if you are moving around but it’s just a small annoyance. I added a donut foam and solved most of that issue.

2. DIY PK1 pk2 SR2 PRO
3. TY Hi-Z HP-150s

TYSON.png

As of now the EMX500S is like Mike Tyson in his prime, I hope it stays that way, I like my ear intact
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/New...32841881186.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.I1CoRZ

I am very interested how those 3 new buds will compare to the EMX500S. Keep us updated :wink:

Feb 2, 2018 at 6:18 PM Post #27,923 of 75,542

1. TY Hi-Z 32
2. Monk Plus (Decent)
3. KZ ZS6 (IEM...I know)
4. Vido (Decent)
5. NICEHCK DIY
6. EMX500 (Awesome)
7. SHE3800
8. EMX500S (King)

2. DIY PK1 pk2 SR2 PRO
3. TY Hi-Z HP-150s

TYSON.png

Best message I’ve seen in awhile. A+ for presentation and the image lol

Feb 2, 2018 at 6:21 PM Post #27,924 of 75,542
Man, I love it when I notice new things in old songs.

I'm sitting at work in a calm period relistening to some things I'd never listened to on my Monks+, and..

The track "Tennis Court" by Lorde has all these little details that I never paid to before I started seriously using my Monks+.

For example:

1. There's a continuous "snap" sound (I think it's an actual human-generated snap, but I'm not sure) that has an echo to it that I never heard before on anything.

2. There's this sweeping hi-hat-like sound that does this really cool loop instead of a standard sweep.

So instead of doing this:

Left Ear <---------------------- Right Ear

It does this:
---> Left Ear

Again, I've never heard this in this song before today.

Through all of this, all of these effects and sounds never get lost (too much) in the mix, and I can pick them out pretty easily. I never get a really "out-of-head" moment with the Monks+, but their positioning really gets me sometimes.

Whether all of that was the Monks+ or just me listening more closely, I can't fully say, but now I'm even more excited for the BS1s.
Oh boy are you in for an experience when you go from Monk plus to BS1.

It’ll be fun to see your reaction in here :)

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2018 at 6:35 PM Post #27,925 of 75,542
Oh boy are you in for an experience when you go from Monk plus to BS1.

It’ll be fun to see your reaction in here :)
I bet :beyersmile:

I already had several audio-related improvements I wanted to make for the new year (new at-home open cans, dedicated bluetooth cans), but I never thought earbuds would be one of them :p

Actually next I want to up-/sidegrade my portable source. Currently I use an A&K Jr. that works well, especially with the Monks, but it's a bit slow and battery life is far from spectacular. I thought about a Cowon Plenue D, but it doesn't have Bluetooth. But the battery life is amazing on that thing..

I also want to make sure that whatever source I migrate to can drive the various buds I plan to get to satisfaction.

Feb 2, 2018 at 6:49 PM Post #27,926 of 75,542
So iv been rocking my BS1 officials for a while now and they just keep getting better. With my other earbuds i always felt like i was compromising something for something else. Want good low end loose sound stage, clarity and get rolled off highs. Want good mids loose out on some of the low and high ends. Ect ect. These I dont feel like im missing anything and can just enjoy every type of music or genre i can toss at them. I really have to give props to penon for bringing us such an amazing earbud that is built out of very high quality materials at a honest asking price. I really dont think you can go wrong with this earbud. I hope this product is successful for penon because id like to see future products from them, especially if they keep up this high quality build. If i compare my other earbuds masya, k's samsara, ty 650, these just out shine all of them in build quality. They look and feel like a high end product.

Feb 2, 2018 at 6:56 PM Post #27,927 of 75,542
I bet :beyersmile:

I already had several audio-related improvements I wanted to make for the new year (new at-home open cans, dedicated bluetooth cans), but I never thought earbuds would be one of them :p

Actually next I want to up-/sidegrade my portable source. Currently I use an A&K Jr. that works well, especially with the Monks, but it's a bit slow and battery life is far from spectacular. I thought about a Cowon Plenue D, but it doesn't have Bluetooth. But the battery life is amazing on that thing..

I also want to make sure that whatever source I migrate to can drive the various buds I plan to get to satisfaction.

I had the Buy-Bug and while I was deciding I resurrected my older Cowon Z2. Wow...what a pairing with Monk+! I have nearly listed the want to upgrade and if I do it’s most likely gonna be a Cowon. I almost would feel bad spending the money so I’m just researching for some new buds. You can’t go wrong with Cowon for sure.

Feb 2, 2018 at 6:59 PM Post #27,928 of 75,542
Feb 2, 2018 at 7:08 PM Post #27,929 of 75,542
I had the Buy-Bug and while I was deciding I resurrected my older Cowon Z2. Wow...what a pairing with Monk+! I have nearly listed the want to upgrade and if I do it’s most likely gonna be a Cowon. I almost would feel bad spending the money so I’m just researching for some new buds. You can’t go wrong with Cowon for sure.
I had a Cowon J3 that I would probably still be using had the power button not snapped on me (like they were known to do unfortunately). That remains my favorite DAP that I've tried; it was so good.

Feb 2, 2018 at 7:13 PM Post #27,930 of 75,542
So iv been rocking my BS1 officials for a while now and they just keep getting better. With my other earbuds i always felt like i was compromising something for something else. Want good low end loose sound stage, clarity and get rolled off highs. Want good mids loose out on some of the low and high ends. Ect ect. These I dont feel like im missing anything and can just enjoy every type of music or genre i can toss at them. I really have to give props to penon for bringing us such an amazing earbud that is built out of very high quality materials at a honest asking price. I really dont think you can go wrong with this earbud. I hope this product is successful for penon because id like to see future products from them, especially if they keep up this high quality build. If i compare my other earbuds masya, k's samsara, ty 650, these just out shine all of them in build quality. They look and feel like a high end product.
I just wanted to say thank you.....
I never normally ask stupid questions like ‘what should I choose from A, B, X phone’ as I research everything and make my decision from what I gather.
However, I wanted another dip into the the higher end of buds and decided that £80 was the max I was going to spend. So, I decided that I had a decision to make between of the Rose Masya, K’s 500 and the BS1, all of which tickled an urge in some way or another.
And just as I was sitting here, on a Friday evening getting slowly more inebriated and listening to some tunes and debating again whether I would ask the eternally stupid question of ‘hey guys and gals, which one would you choose’ you very kindly make my mind up with an inciteful and like minded post.
Kudos and thanks.
Now if I could find my bloody wallet. Where did the missus hide it?????

Users who are viewing this thread

Back