Earbuds Round-Up
Feb 2, 2018 at 9:11 PM Post #27,946 of 75,252
Thank you Sean,
Classical is never a genre I listen to, and although I know that the Masya is not a one trick pony and will suit different styles, I was still wary due to a few differing views. The majority of music I listen to is electronic, dance and chill, and whilst I buy my phones to give me varying sounds signatures to appreciate my music in different ways, there are certain basics I adhere to.
Do you think that the Masya would still be a branch I would enjoy (good sub bass, vibrant forward mids for those vocals, extended smooth highs) over the BS1’s?
I just can’t help getting caught up in the hype for these at the moment!
The masya ticks more boxes for dance/electronic because it extends with deep bass (very clean powerful bass) and extended and very smooth high’s.

The bs1 also has smooth highs, slightly less extended. The bass is more mid bass bumped, slightly rolled off sub bass. (by earbuds standard it’s got great quality sub bass and mid bass).

The main concern with the masya is the midrange presents slightly brighter than most earbuds and very clean/clear. But with the consequence of lacking slightly in texture in the lower mids and also lacking a bit of body to it. I’d suggest a fairly ‘full’sounding but clean source with these to thicken the mids if possible.

The vocals on the masya are slightly warmer and more forward than on the bs1, this does help with most vocals and the masya does female vocals very well.

If you had told me you listen to some rock/acoustic/pop and electronic I could recommend the bs1 because it’s more suited to rock/acoustic/and versatile enough to handle the others.

But masya has more of a wow factor for electronic overall, plus the truly out of head soundstage makes the whole experience of digitally made music feel more alive.

Either are good choices, but I think you’d find the masya more impressive if you want that extended bass and treble.

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2018 at 9:15 PM Post #27,947 of 75,252
Ah, I see; so it's sound signature is smooth like the HD-600, just with more bass. Gotcha.
The shozy bk was likened to the hd600 for in a review I read when buying it for its natural midrange timbre. Of course I never heard the HD600 but people always rave on about it and it’s been around forever so it must be good lol. I love my shozy bk that’s allI know :)

Feb 2, 2018 at 9:18 PM Post #27,948 of 75,252
The masya ticks more boxes for dance/electronic because it extends with deep bass (very clean powerful bass) and extended and very smooth high’s.

The bs1 also has smooth highs, slightly less extended. The bass is more mid bass bumped, slightly rolled off sub bass.

The main concern with the masya is the midrange presents slightly brighter than most earbuds and very clean/clear. But with the consequence of lacking slightly in texture in the lower mids and also lacking a bit of body to it. I’d suggest a fairly ‘full’sounding but clean source with these to thicken the mids if possible.

The vocals on the masya are slightly warmer and more forward than on the bs1, this does help with most vocals and the masya does female vocals very well.

If you had told me you listen to some rock/acoustic/pop and electronic I could recommend the bs1 because it’s more suited to rock and versatile enough to handle the others.

But masya has more of a wow factor for electronic overall, plus the truly out of head soundstage makes the whole experience of digitally made music feel more alive.

Either are good choices, but I think you’d find the masya more impressive if you want that extended bass and treble.

I agree with this assessment after owning both, though I listen to rock, acoustic, jazz and post-rock and I'm perfectly content with the Masyas for that. They both are solid ear buds. The Masyas do have an extra wow factor to them while the BS1 is super smooth and clean and a good all-arounder.

The Masyas do a lot better with a slightly warmer source for sure. I think the BS1 would too (I dont have them anymore).

Feb 2, 2018 at 9:25 PM Post #27,949 of 75,252
The shozy bk was likened to the hd600 for in a review I read when buying it for its natural midrange timbre. Of course I never heard the HD600 but people always rave on about it and it’s been around forever so it must be good lol. I love my shozy bk that’s allI know :)
Oh don't you worry, they're still on my list :wink:

Feb 2, 2018 at 9:26 PM Post #27,950 of 75,252
I agree with this assessment after owning both, though I listen to rock, acoustic, jazz and post-rock and I'm perfectly content with the Masyas for that. They both are solid ear buds. The Masyas do have an extra wow factor to them while the BS1 is super smooth and clean and a good all-arounder.

The Masyas do a lot better with a slightly warmer source for sure. I think the BS1 would too (I dont have them anymore).
The thing with the bs1 is the shell design makes it more difficult to get a seal for the deep bass, they extend decently with heigi donuts but I prefer the balance of thin/full foams on these buds.

The masya doesn’t have to try hard with it’s bass driver extending effortlessly regardless of the seal, so I actually like the loose fit on these and the shape it allows deep strong bass and airy treble at the same time.

I get that with the bs1 only with the double thin foams but the masya can do it easily.

But for me the added texture in the midrange makes the bs1 a better earbud for strings and male vocals. It’s a fuller sound yet still smooth.

And I think the bs1 may push a tad more detail but it’s a difficult call, both are plenty details, I think it’s just the added texture in the bs1 that makes the lower mids more detailed sounding.

Fuller still is my shozy bk, that’s in a league of its own when it comes to midrange prowess.

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2018 at 9:31 PM Post #27,951 of 75,252
Oh don't you worry, they're still on my list :wink:
It’s still the best thing I’ve heard for vocals/acoustic and some lighter rock, everything is so rich and vivid in the mids it’s just mesmerising. Shozy really know how to tune the driver for a perfect analog sound. I don’t even care if it has a small soundstage when it sounds this good :)

Feb 2, 2018 at 9:39 PM Post #27,952 of 75,252
The thing with the bs1 is the shell design makes it more difficult to get a seal for the deep bass, they extend decently with heigi donuts but I prefer the balance of thin/full foams on these buds.

The masya doesn’t have to try hard with it’s bass driver extending effortlessly regardless of the seal, so I actually like the loose fit on these and the shape it allows deep strong bass and airy treble at the same time.

I get that with the bs1 only with the double thin foams but the masya can do it easily.

But for me the added texture in the midrange makes the bs1 a better earbud for strings and male vocals. It’s a fuller sound yet still smooth.

And I think the bs1 may push a tad more detail but it’s a difficult call, both are plenty details, I think it’s just the added texture in the bs1 that makes the lower mids more detailed sounding.

Fuller still is my shozy bk, that’s in a league of its own when it comes to midrange prowess.

Yes I think the BS1 has much more detail/texture than the Masya. What I meant by smooth is not in the laid back sense, but the fact that everything just sounds natural

Feb 3, 2018 at 12:42 AM Post #27,953 of 75,252
Kurt Chen
"SimPhonio Dragon2+ Earbud,Timeless Sophistication. Exceptional Aidio. Sell price is 320 USD"
DJt3duoUMAAdOYi.jpg

Feb 3, 2018 at 3:38 AM Post #27,956 of 75,252
What are those

SW-Dragon 2 Plus.

Those of you who might not know, the original SW-Dragon 2 is made by Sunrise to compete with PK1. In many ways the SWD2 is actually better (harder to find outside of Taobao these days, but still worth getting if you can get one). The SWD2+ (or Dragon 2+, same thing) is their latest flagship after absent from the earbuds market for the last few years. They also change their name from Sunrise to Simphonio. From what I have read about it, the new earbuds' diaphragm and cable took them a few years to develop. The transducer is named DMS driver, which the diaphragm is fused with three types of nanomaterials, plus a double coiled design. The cable is referred as 'silk thread copper', which is said to be a special kind of 7N OFC.

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2018 at 4:27 AM Post #27,957 of 75,252

The bs1 also has smooth highs, slightly less extended. The bass is more mid bass bumped, slightly rolled off sub bass. (by earbuds standard it’s got great quality sub bass and mid bass).

If you had told me you listen to some rock/acoustic/pop and electronic I could recommend the bs1 because it’s more suited to rock/acoustic/and versatile enough to handle the others.

Fantastic, that was just the reply I was looking for, you are a gent.
It’s a done deal. The Masya it is then :ksc75smile: :beerchug:

Feb 3, 2018 at 7:08 AM Post #27,958 of 75,252
Fantastic, that was just the reply I was looking for, you are a gent.
It’s a done deal. The Masya it is then :ksc75smile: :beerchug:
Yeah the only caution I’ll give you is that the midrange being bright takes a little while to get used to. I’m currently using doubled thin foams on it but the full foams from the VE pack (red/blue) worked well to tame it for general music (most pop music is mastered brightly), but for instrumental and classical I prefer the thin foams for best clarity.

There’s a little bit of sibilance due to the brightness that’s mostly tamed with the full foams, but it’s hard to avoid it for every song. Just a heads up!

The Masya is really really impressive though once you get the right foams and fit.

Feb 3, 2018 at 8:27 AM Post #27,959 of 75,252
Yes I think the BS1 has much more detail/texture than the Masya. What I meant by smooth is not in the laid back sense, but the fact that everything just sounds natural

I get what you mean but I think the Masya is designed to be that way, extremely smooth but with less texture. Of course it has enough detail to push some texture but beside the bs1 the difference is easily noticeable. I tried to double up the cheapo aliexpress thin foams on the Masya (they are more transparent sounding than the new thin ve monk foams) and I was surprised with the gain in texture and didn’t lose any fullness over the regular full foams. The treble got a little more prominent but it was still smooth, the vocals gained noticeable clarity and detail. Rather than the ‘wall of sound’ veil you usually get from full foams, these foams lets the true tonality and detail push through, but not at the cost of seal for bass and fit.

@Yobster69 I tried both earbuds back and fourth with dance/electronic music genre in spotify and I can tell you both sound fantastic and can handle this genre well in slightly different ways.

The BS1 does infact have a respectable amount of sub bass but the seal is vital to achieve it. Masya still extends more effortlessly and has slightly less mid bass bump.

BS1 wins on vocals thickness and detail but Masya wins on presentation for that slight warmth and forwardness that brings vocals out better and more engaging to my ears. But both perform well here just with different presentations slightly.

Treble is anyone’s guess, masya extends slightly further but only marginally and both sound crisp and clear and smooth. Great treble from both.

As a reference I’m using VE full foams on the masya and double thin ve foams on the bs1 for this test, these are the best for this genre or general music.

Buying either would be a good purchase here I feel. So you can choose based on other aspects like build, aesthetics, etc. Because they both sound awesome.

I’m leaning towards BS1 for dance/electronic and acoustic/rock. But Masya for dance/electronic and instrumental/orchestral/classical.

Also note that the Rose technology (Masya/Mojito) has had QC issues and I have experienced some of this with my first masya. But that’s not to say you’re unit will be defective it’s just an issue that has been prevalent in the past.

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2018 at 10:56 AM Post #27,960 of 75,252
I get what you mean but I think the Masya is designed to be that way, extremely smooth but with less texture. Of course it has enough detail to push some texture but beside the bs1 the difference is easily noticeable. I tried to double up the cheapo aliexpress thin foams on the Masya (they are more transparent sounding than the new thin ve monk foams) and I was surprised with the gain in texture and didn’t lose any fullness over the regular full foams. The treble got a little more prominent but it was still smooth, the vocals gained noticeable clarity and detail. Rather than the ‘wall of sound’ veil you usually get from full foams, these foams lets the true tonality and detail push through, but not at the cost of seal for bass and fit.

@Yobster69 I tried both earbuds back and fourth with dance/electronic music genre in spotify and I can tell you both sound fantastic and can handle this genre well in slightly different ways.

The BS1 does infact have a respectable amount of sub bass but the seal is vital to achieve it. Masya still extends more effortlessly and has slightly less mid bass bump.

BS1 wins on vocals thickness and detail but Masya wins on presentation for that slight warmth and forwardness that brings vocals out better and more engaging to my ears. But both perform well here just with different presentations slightly.

Treble is anyone’s guess, masya extends slightly further but only marginally and both sound crisp and clear and smooth. Great treble from both.

As a reference I’m using VE full foams on the masya and double thin ve foams on the bs1 for this test, these are the best for this genre or general music.

Buying either would be a good purchase here I feel. So you can choose based on other aspects like build, aesthetics, etc. Because they both sound awesome.

I’m leaning towards BS1 for dance/electronic and acoustic/rock. But Masya for dance/electronic and instrumental/orchestral/classical.

Also note that the Rose technology (Masya/Mojito) has had QC issues and I have experienced some of this with my first masya. But that’s not to say you’re unit will be defective it’s just an issue that has been prevalent in the past.
Thank you again, and also for the tips on foams. I have quite a collection of them so I’ll have fun experimenting.
And the downsides on QC are noted, but to be honest it was always going to be the Masyas if I’m honest with myself. The addded benefit of upgrading the cable and going balanced in the near future appeals. Plus the description you have given of them sounds like a nice departure from my existing bud collection signature, and I am looking for something different to add to my listening rotation.
I really appreciate all the time you have taken in coming back to me. Nice one mate

Users who are viewing this thread

Back