Earbuds Round-Up
Feb 1, 2018 at 8:23 PM Post #27,856 of 75,317
I tried using 2 thin foams but muffled, the ones that came with it had two types of foam thick an thin. I tried donut alone, i quite like the sound coming out but it was too loose. I think for me I'll stick to stock foam + donut. I might change as it goes since I just got this last night (it's 9AM where I am).

Thanks for the tips, I'll include those foams in next aliexpress purchase hahah
Yeah I should clarify that the ones provided while not ‘thick’ per say are the regular full foams, the ones I mentioned are much less dense and are almost see through and let 95% of the sound through compared to say 80% from full foams. Even doubling up the thin foams allow better clarity than one full foam as it will not sound veiled at all.

Donuts alone let through mid range clarity and tame the treble but I found the vocals get lost as the are pretty relaxed compared to my other mid forward buds, but with the double thin foams I found everything came alive in the mid range and treble, also the soundstage gets much airer and bigger.

If you think the soundstage is impressive on these (i’d consider it medium-big) you should hear the rose masya or some other buds with truly out of head sound... amazing considering the size of these things.

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2018 at 8:30 PM Post #27,857 of 75,317
I'm a bit tempted by the deal because I'm interested in the RA+ (and the zen lite would be a nice bonus).

But I wouldn't use the RA+ port-ably and would only use it at my desktop, with it hopefully being so good that it would replace all 3 of the portable amps that I am currently using at my desktop! (I find that I simply don't use amps "port-ably" lol).

Which makes me wonder if it would be better to get a true dedicated desktop amp (or dac/amp like the Ifi iDSD).

So here's my OT question: do you think that the RA+ can/should be used as a dedicated desktop amp?

It will work well as a desktop amp since it can be powered by DC adaptor, as a portable I feel that it is a bit too bulky and heavy to carry around when stacked with a DAP. But if you are transporting the stack to somewhere like the office, library, etc. then it can work as a portable setup. At home, I have also been using the RA+ plugged into the wall socket with DAP to save power on the 9v battery.

Feb 1, 2018 at 8:57 PM Post #27,859 of 75,317
STOP! You’re not allowed to like $1 earbuds more than $150 earbuds! It’s just wrong lol :p

Now excuse me while I sob in the corner, broke and clutching my stardust’s...

LOL. Sorry! It could be that new toy infatuation thing going on. I love my BK's as well and still prefer them overall, but the Vido headphones have a quality about them I just wasn't expecting for the price. Plus I'm trying to introduce my older kids to the idea that music can sound different (and way better) out of quality earbuds/headphones/speakers etc. And with a grip of kids cost/value factors in a lot more than it used to! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I'd love a suggestion Shozy BK-style sounding earbud with a bigger soundstage... it would be a great compliment to what I have.

Feb 1, 2018 at 9:00 PM Post #27,860 of 75,317
Jazz sounds so good on these BS1’s. I don’t listen to Jazz usually but I may have to start... lol
Plays Hiromi Uehara's Sonicboom album. This album is a test cause it sounds very dark on some iems, while some are not.

Feb 1, 2018 at 9:12 PM Post #27,861 of 75,317
Plays Hiromi Uehara's Sonicboom album. This album is a test cause it sounds very dark on some iems, while some are not.
I know I said this twice already but I had to eq up the sub bass for the deep notes to come alive, it doesn’t effect the midbass too much and actually balances the bass more.

The saxophone sounds so full yet clean thanks to the neutral tonality and fuller low end.

Feb 1, 2018 at 9:14 PM Post #27,862 of 75,317
I know I said this twice already but I had to eq up the sub bass for the deep notes to come alive, it doesn’t effect the midbass too much and actually balances the bass more.

The saxophone sounds so full yet clean thanks to the neutral tonality and fuller low end.
not really into EQ-ing, sorry purist needs it to be as it is I'm using M3s, putting on EQ will bring the dB -3 across the board.

Feb 1, 2018 at 9:15 PM Post #27,863 of 75,317
LOL. Sorry! It could be that new toy infatuation thing going on. I love my BK's as well and still prefer them overall, but the Vido headphones have a quality about them I just wasn't expecting for the price. Plus I'm trying to introduce my older kids to the idea that music can sound different (and way better) out of quality earbuds/headphones/speakers etc. And with a grip of kids cost/value factors in a lot more than it used to! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I'd love a suggestion Shozy BK-style sounding earbud with a bigger soundstage... it would be a great compliment to what I have.
The BS1 is like a neutral BK (bk is slightly warmer) with very similar signature overall but with a bigger soundstage. I said a few months ago the similarities between the two are easily recognisable except a few nuances like less forward vocals than bk, slightly smoother treble and slightly less thick mid range but still keeping most of the texture found in the midrange of the bk.

Feb 1, 2018 at 9:17 PM Post #27,864 of 75,317
not really into EQ-ing, sorry purist needs it to be as it is I'm using M3s, putting on EQ will bring the dB -3 across the board.
I understand I don’t like it myself. You’re source probably has better sub bass extension than my iphone 6s so it may not be necessary. I EQ in very small increments but mostly it affects tonality which I hate, but with sub bass I get away with it mostly.

I’m upgrading my source soon with any luck, but for now I’m sufficing with this as my mobile source and I use spotify for convenience so the eq is very basic but these buds drive really easy so they still sound very nice regardless.

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2018 at 9:23 PM Post #27,865 of 75,317
I understand I don’t like it myself. You’re source probably has better sub bass extension than my iphone 6s so it may not be necessary. I EQ in very small increments but mostly it affects tonality which I hate, but with sub bass I get away with it mostly.

I’m upgrading my source soon with any luck, but for now I’m sufficing with this as my mobile source and I use spotify for convenience so the eq is very basic but these buds drive really easy so they still sound very nice regardless.
cause I listen to uncompressed audio exclusively, I can't stand my phone not having enough space to put them flacs in them. Ended up with M3s which I have not regretting spending.

---
this BS1 is no bull, sounds awesome

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2018 at 9:27 PM Post #27,866 of 75,317
S80202-072337.jpg

Feb 1, 2018 at 9:27 PM Post #27,867 of 75,317
cause I listen to uncompressed audio exclusively, I can't stand my phone not having enough space to put them flacs in them. Ended up with M3s which I have not regretting spending.

---
this BS1 is no bull****, sounds awesome
Ah my situation is I’ve bought into the spotify ecosystem and the quality is quite good for my use and I want my phone to be my player for convenience so was looking to upgrade to a Meizu pro series phone (it’s dac is apparently excellent for a phone, compareable to LG v10/20). I tried the LG v20 but honestly it doesn’t agree with my earbuds, im sure it’s great for full size cans etc. Just not for me!

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2018 at 9:33 PM Post #27,868 of 75,317
Ah my situation is I’ve bought into the spotify ecosystem and the quality is quite good for my use and I want my phone to be my player for convenience so was looking to upgrade to a Meizu pro series phone. I tried the LG v20 but honestly it doesn’t agree with my earbuds, im sure it’s great for full size cans etc. Just not for me!
Haven't tried any of the V20 or v30 series before, i used spotify at home when I was to play music on my desktop speakers or checking out new albums.

Feb 1, 2018 at 10:26 PM Post #27,869 of 75,317
Ah my situation is I’ve bought into the spotify ecosystem and the quality is quite good for my use and I want my phone to be my player for convenience so was looking to upgrade to a Meizu pro series phone (it’s dac is apparently excellent for a phone, compareable to LG v10/20). I tried the LG v20 but honestly it doesn’t agree with my earbuds, im sure it’s great for full size cans etc. Just not for me!
Get something small and cheap that makes earbuds specificaly sound great. Like a Zishan Z2 or Z3. $25 and $50 respectively. The cost of an earbud.

Feb 1, 2018 at 10:42 PM Post #27,870 of 75,317
Get something small and cheap that makes earbuds specificaly sound great. Like a Zishan Z2 or Z3. $25 and $50 respectively. The cost of an earbud.
No spotify support :frowning2:

I don’t have a library of flac or 320kbps mp3 files so i’m using spotify for everything.

IfI go down the DAP route I need to spend much more to get a good dap running android for spotify.

It makes more sense to buy a good audio smartphone than a dap unless I go all out and get a high end dap but that’s too pricey for me right now.

I was enviously reading about the Opus #2 yesterday but i know it’s very pricey unfortunately.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back