Earbuds Round-Up
Feb 1, 2018 at 9:32 AM Post #27,841 of 75,478
IMG_20180201_200832.jpg So this just arrived.. haven't used earbuds in like more than 15years... Does it fit very loose and feels like its gonna fall off?

First impression of sound is nice smooth and clean.

Feb 1, 2018 at 12:02 PM Post #27,842 of 75,478
So this just arrived.. haven't used earbuds in like more than 15years... Does it fit very loose and feels like its gonna fall off?

Are you using foams?

Feb 1, 2018 at 12:20 PM Post #27,844 of 75,478
Try adding donuts.

Feb 1, 2018 at 12:29 PM Post #27,845 of 75,478
I don't think there is any proper review yet because the Zen Lite is too new, not that many people have them in their hands, I think in this thread, only myself and golov17 have it and a few others have it on order. I've been listening to them via the RA+ for the past week and all I can say right now is that I am really liking how they sound, no regrets on the purchase so far. If it is of any interest to you, golov17 says it sounds just like the Zen 2 so that should give you an indication of its quality.

I'm a bit tempted by the deal because I'm interested in the RA+ (and the zen lite would be a nice bonus).

But I wouldn't use the RA+ port-ably and would only use it at my desktop, with it hopefully being so good that it would replace all 3 of the portable amps that I am currently using at my desktop! (I find that I simply don't use amps "port-ably" lol).

Which makes me wonder if it would be better to get a true dedicated desktop amp (or dac/amp like the Ifi iDSD).

So here's my OT question: do you think that the RA+ can/should be used as a dedicated desktop amp?

Feb 1, 2018 at 12:56 PM Post #27,846 of 75,478
So this just arrived.. haven't used earbuds in like more than 15years... Does it fit very loose and feels like its gonna fall off?

Took a couple of days but you'll get use to it. It's the way earbuds feel at first. It's like when you wear new glasses, feels always a bit off at first.

Feb 1, 2018 at 1:08 PM Post #27,847 of 75,478
... or as I once said, the first step of enjoying any good sounding headphone is to find the best personal fit.

Feb 1, 2018 at 1:15 PM Post #27,848 of 75,478
Looks like Liebesleid is sold out on Amazon. Not sure if it's sold anywhere else.

Feb 1, 2018 at 1:40 PM Post #27,849 of 75,478
I'm a bit tempted by the deal because I'm interested in the RA+ (and the zen lite would be a nice bonus).

But I wouldn't use the RA+ port-ably and would only use it at my desktop, with it hopefully being so good that it would replace all 3 of the portable amps that I am currently using at my desktop! (I find that I simply don't use amps "port-ably" lol).

Which makes me wonder if it would be better to get a true dedicated desktop amp (or dac/amp like the Ifi iDSD).

So here's my OT question: do you think that the RA+ can/should be used as a dedicated desktop amp?

I don't have mine yet, so cannot tell you, but I also bought it with the warp core. I have a holiday home (caravan / trailer haha - not mansion) and spend weekends there. I'm going to leave them there as a "desktop" solution for away-from-home listening, but might use the amp as a portable as well. Not sure yet. I hear it's performance on battery is excellent. It's also going to power difficult earbuds.

I suppose it depends on how much you would like to spend.

Feb 1, 2018 at 2:07 PM Post #27,851 of 75,478
That's the Qian39 I remember :wink:
Yeah... I was not impressed at all. Gonna try some of the other monk alternative budget buds though. If nothing else, I'll have several more backups and loaners. The low price of some of these does make you wonder if quality control is bad or non-existent to the point where I get a lemon but other folks get some great ones. Everybody's ears are different on top of that though.

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2018 at 2:37 PM Post #27,852 of 75,478

If you’re ears are small they will fit loose because they will sit further out being fairly big shells. Also the cable is pretty heavy for an earbud. But as others have said it’s about the adjustment period. Soon you’ll get the right foams and get used to the fit. I suggest you play around with the foams to see which suits you best.

I’m currently using them with the thin cheapo aliexpress foams in a sort of doubled up way (more like one thin filter stuck inside the other to make in double thickness on the middle but keep the sides thin.

It’s like the full foams except better treble extension but the same good seal to bring out the modest sub bass extension abit more. Also to bring forward the vocals without losing clarity.

They sound quite different with different foams I found. Fit is everything with some earbuds.

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2018 at 7:58 PM Post #27,853 of 75,478
If you’re ears are small they will fit loose because they will sit further out being fairly big shells. Also the cable is pretty heavy for an earbud. But as others have said it’s about the adjustment period. Soon you’ll get the right foams and get used to the fit. I suggest you play around with the foams to see which suits you best.

I’m currently using them with the thin cheapo aliexpress foams in a sort of doubled up way (more like one thin filter stuck inside the other to make in double thickness on the middle but keep the sides thin.

It’s like the full foams except better treble extension but the same good seal to bring out the modest sub bass extension abit more. Also to bring forward the vocals without losing clarity.

They sound quite different with different foams I found. Fit is everything with some earbuds.
Thanks all. I find that stock foam + donuts helps to give a fuller sound albeit it still feel loose but much better, the detail retrieval is awesome and sound stage is outta this world, but i noticed that it's bit heavy on the mid-bass somewhere about 100hz to 120hz basslines are thickkkk

Feb 1, 2018 at 8:10 PM Post #27,854 of 75,478
Thanks all. I find that stock foam + donuts helps to give a fuller sound albeit it still feel loose but much better, the detail retrieval is awesome and sound stage is outta this world, but i noticed that it's bit heavy on the mid-bass somewhere about 100hz to 120hz basslines are thickkkk
Yeah the sub bass is a little rolled off and mid bass is strong, but if you apply the thin foams I suggested ($1.60 on aliexpress for100!) with doubled up on each earbud you get the full resolution and a very clean balanced sound. But the mid bass is nicely controlled.

Then I EQ’d the sub bass up a few db and wow everything was perfectly balanced and a lovely control full sound was coming from the low end that was previously abit thumpy/boomy with the donut foams.

I think the drivers in these are incredible at imaging and the detail is very good but they need help with extension on both ends and the thin foams also bring the treble out to perfect levels for my ears. Extended but smooooth.

I’ve had these earbuds a month and this is the best I’ve heard them thus far. Although the fit will be different for every ear so if it’s too small simply apply two thin foams to each for a large fit, if it’s too big (like for my ears) you apply only the centre part of a thin foam to another thin foam givin double thickness but keeping the diameter reletively thin.

If you’re using stock plus donut on an earbud with this diameter you either have preference large ears or your wearing the earbuds kind of outside the ear canal which is ok by all means wear it how you feel is best, but this may contribute to different sound experienced than mine so maybe this is the way to go for you, but if you’re feeling adventurous spend the $1.67 on the cheapo foams mentioned a few pages back.

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2018 at 8:18 PM Post #27,855 of 75,478
Yeah the sub bass is a little rolled off and mid bass is strong, but if you apply the thin foams I suggested ($1.60 on aliexpress for100!) with doubled up on each earbud you get the full resolution and a very clean balanced sound. But the mid bass is nicely controlled.

Then I EQ’d the sub bass up a few db and wow everything was perfectly balanced and a lovely control full sound was coming from the low end that was previously abit thumpy/boomy with the donut foams.

I think the drivers in these are incredible at imaging and the detail is very good but they need help with extension on both ends and the thin foams also bring the treble out to perfect levels for my ears. Extended but smooooth.

I’ve had these earbuds a month and this is the best I’ve heard them thus far. Although the fit will be different for every ear so if it’s too small simply apply two thin foams to each for a large fit, if it’s too big (like for my ears) you apply only the centre part of a thin foam to another thin foam givin double thickness but keeping the diameter reletively thin.

If you’re using stock plus donut on an earbud with this diameter you either have preference large ears or your wearing the earbuds kind of outside the ear canal which is ok by all means wear it how you feel is best, but this may contribute to different sound experienced than mine so maybe this is the way to go for you, but if you’re feeling adventurous spend the $1.67 on the cheapo foams mentioned a few pages back.
I tried using 2 thin foams but muffled, the ones that came with it had two types of foam thick an thin. I tried donut alone, i quite like the sound coming out but it was too loose. I think for me I'll stick to stock foam + donut. I might change as it goes since I just got this last night (it's 9AM where I am).

Thanks for the tips, I'll include those foams in next aliexpress purchase hahah

Users who are viewing this thread

Back