Earbuds Round-Up
Jan 31, 2018 at 11:17 PM Post #27,826 of 75,250
what is that deal? have a link? $100 for an amp and a zen lite? That’s a very good deal!
Its on their facebook page

Reading through the VE facebook, it honestly seems like a huge circlejerk. Its hard to find a "normal" review on both the zen lites and the ra plus. It seems like a really good deal, but I honestly don't think I need an amp (don't even have anything worth $100+, and already have an xduoo x3.)

Jan 31, 2018 at 11:23 PM Post #27,827 of 75,250
Last edited:
Jan 31, 2018 at 11:28 PM Post #27,828 of 75,250
Jan 31, 2018 at 11:54 PM Post #27,830 of 75,250
Hello everyone, I recently decided to get back on Headfi after not being as active since the website format was changed. Before I left, I bought a pair of the VE Monks and was extremely surprised at how much enjoyment a mere 5 dollars could get me. I still cherish the monks and tend to gravitate towards them when I don't have my headphones (which is surprising because I used to prefer IEMs prior to listening to the monks). However, as with all of us audio junkies, I started finding the flaws in the monks and started wanting more. As someone who only knows the monks, what would be a good upgrade under 30-35 dollars?

My sonic preference lean towards a more mid-ranged vocal focused warm sound. I like sub bass extension, non boomy mid bass (doesn't have to be bass heavy just very clean and punchy when needed), focus on mids (I prefer male vocals so lower mids focused) and I like headphones that sound musically full in the lower mid ranges but not super thick. I can deal with some sibilance as my starter iems were the Vsonic GR07BEs but I prefer a sound without as much sibilance. I know what I explained is like the ideal vocal based sound sig but if there is anything vocally focused and musical while being relatively neutral everywhere else I would love to hear!

In comparison to the monks: I like the monks and their soundstage. I personally find the sub bass extension to be slightly lacking and lower mids could use a little bit more body. I also find that with the sources I own, the monks get hard to listen to at higher volumes as they get slightly sibilant. Just slightly. Finally, their comfort is not ideal and I find the housing to be slightly too large for my ears. For the most part however, everything else is good and I have been enjoying them a lot. If there is anything that comes to mind under 30 heck even 50 dollars i would be glad to listen! Thanks in advance!!!

Feb 1, 2018 at 12:55 AM Post #27,831 of 75,250
I picked up the Urbanears Sumpan at a firesale price as I need open earbuds while I am walking outside. They have a bit of a dark rolled off signature but great clarity and I find them to be better than stock EarPods as they are not as tinny. In fact I agree with this review that they are better and less distorting than Beats X.

Feb 1, 2018 at 1:39 AM Post #27,833 of 75,250
https://www.veclan.com/engappliance_sel_one?eng_ApplianceVo.eac_id=2

For 98usd, you get 1 RA plus + 1 Zen Lite.

I think it is out of stock for now, they ran out of knobs or something...

He got the knob delivery. There are some for sale. I couldn't resist the RA2.0bl.

Seems like a giveaway considering the zen alone is worth $149?

Pretty sure it was on here I read a quote from Lee saying that the Zen didn't cost much more than the Monk to make, you were paying for the sound quality.

Edit: found the post I was referring to.

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2018 at 2:24 AM Post #27,835 of 75,250
There are still a couple of the RunAbout Plus + Zen Lite bundles left, both on VE's homepage and on Aliexpress. The standard edition for $98 is sold out, so you have to choose either the one with charger and batteries or the one with power bank. The current batch of package deals was made available yesterday.

Feb 1, 2018 at 2:55 AM Post #27,836 of 75,250
Seems like a giveaway considering the zen alone is worth $149?

Thanks for the heads up anyway!
He got the knob delivery. There are some for sale. I couldn't resist the RA2.0bl.

Pretty sure it was on here I read a quote from Lee saying that the Zen didn't cost much more than the Monk to make, you were paying for the sound quality.

Edit: found the post I was referring to.
holy crap if they cost the same to make hes making huge profit if they sell for $150

Feb 1, 2018 at 3:10 AM Post #27,837 of 75,250
Do you have any places in mind in Tokyo? I am visiting there in April and want to check out some stores

There's a BIC Camera and Yodobashi store in Shinjuku. Apparently there's also a smaller e-earphone store there, but I haven't visited that. I might be wrong, though.
I usually go to Akihabara, mainly for the huge Yodobashi there and e-earphone.

There are some smaller audio shops in Akihabara hiding among all the computer related shops or tourist traps.

The Akihabara e-earphone store:
http://www.e-earphone.jp/shop-akb

I also like to find Book-off stores. They mostly sell used books, but you might also find used electronic devices. Last time in Japan I bought a Kenwood MediaKeg MP3 player at a Book-off. There are also stores called Hard-off which are specialized at household items and consumer electronics (but those are more rare). Most Book-off have some electronics stuff and you might be able to find something audio related.
Here's a list of stores in the Tokyo area (scroll down):
https://www.bookoff.co.jp/inbound/index.html#shopList

Hello everyone, I recently decided to get back on Headfi after not being as active since the website format was changed. Before I left, I bought a pair of the VE Monks and was extremely surprised at how much enjoyment a mere 5 dollars could get me. I still cherish the monks and tend to gravitate towards them when I don't have my headphones (which is surprising because I used to prefer IEMs prior to listening to the monks). However, as with all of us audio junkies, I started finding the flaws in the monks and started wanting more. As someone who only knows the monks, what would be a good upgrade under 30-35 dollars?

My sonic preference lean towards a more mid-ranged vocal focused warm sound. I like sub bass extension, non boomy mid bass (doesn't have to be bass heavy just very clean and punchy when needed), focus on mids (I prefer male vocals so lower mids focused) and I like headphones that sound musically full in the lower mid ranges but not super thick. I can deal with some sibilance as my starter iems were the Vsonic GR07BEs but I prefer a sound without as much sibilance. I know what I explained is like the ideal vocal based sound sig but if there is anything vocally focused and musical while being relatively neutral everywhere else I would love to hear!

In comparison to the monks: I like the monks and their soundstage. I personally find the sub bass extension to be slightly lacking and lower mids could use a little bit more body. I also find that with the sources I own, the monks get hard to listen to at higher volumes as they get slightly sibilant. Just slightly. Finally, their comfort is not ideal and I find the housing to be slightly too large for my ears. For the most part however, everything else is good and I have been enjoying them a lot. If there is anything that comes to mind under 30 heck even 50 dollars i would be glad to listen! Thanks in advance!!!

Yuin PK2 is a good advice. However, sub bass isn't very extended and it usually costs around $50.

There's also NiceHCK DIY PK2 which uses the same housing as Yuin uses.
NiceHCK DIY Graphene old version has got good sub bass extension and a slight tendency to be bright (but I'm sensitive) but is also an upgrade from Monk+.
Finally Moondrop Nameless. It is quite neutral with pretty good extension at both ends for the price.

All three can be bought from Ali Express for around $25. Also all are slightly smaller than Monk+...

Feb 1, 2018 at 3:20 AM Post #27,839 of 75,250
Its on their facebook page

Reading through the VE facebook, it honestly seems like a huge circlejerk. Its hard to find a "normal" review on both the zen lites and the ra plus. It seems like a really good deal, but I honestly don't think I need an amp (don't even have anything worth $100+, and already have an xduoo x3.)

I don't think there is any proper review yet because the Zen Lite is too new, not that many people have them in their hands, I think in this thread, only myself and golov17 have it and a few others have it on order. I've been listening to them via the RA+ for the past week and all I can say right now is that I am really liking how they sound, no regrets on the purchase so far. If it is of any interest to you, golov17 says it sounds just like the Zen 2 so that should give you an indication of its quality.

Feb 1, 2018 at 6:05 AM Post #27,840 of 75,250
I don't think there is any proper review yet because the Zen Lite is too new, not that many people have them in their hands, I think in this thread, only myself and golov17 have it and a few others have it on order. I've been listening to them via the RA+ for the past week and all I can say right now is that I am really liking how they sound, no regrets on the purchase so far. If it is of any interest to you, golov17 says it sounds just like the Zen 2 so that should give you an indication of its quality.
and there are some who appreciate lite version over regular (not me)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back