Earbuds Round-Up
Sep 10, 2017 at 12:17 PM Post #22,876 of 75,287
I just managed to fix my Fengru EMX500 and the sound is even better than I remembered. These are god tier earbuds and now I think that they are a clear upgrade to Vido.
The problem with rattling at extra high volume remains, this only happens if you push them quite a bit beyond normal loud listening levels. It's clearly not distortion, these drivers are amazing really, the problem is not enough pressure on the back of the driver. Had the same problem with Vidos where it was resolved by opening and closing the shells. I won't really try to mess with this as it isn't a problem, you really need to push the volume and even then, it only happens with some music - I would only do this for testing and not regular listening. I think this just proves how good the membrane and driver in general is, it is capable of impressive energy output, enough to move the bloody plastic that is pressuring it before showing any signs of distortion. How do you do this at 10$??

I agree that the sound is amazing. I think you are understating the defect. I have had two pairs , different cable types, same thing happens. I listen to indie rock music mostly (see my profile) and its not what anyone would call extreme bass and I listen without an amp — just right out of the phone of laptop. they now rattle (like a speaker rattle) during bass peaks at regular listening levels. If you can tell me a way to fix it fine, but people should know that there is a high probability that this bud has a high probability of developing this issue. So at $10 its amazing,but for me one pair lasted 2 months, another less than 1 month. (I listen everyday on my buds). I just don't want people to have to experience things the hard way. I now use the FAAEAL 32 as my main buds. smooth and clear sound, lacks a tad of th ebass of the vido, but way less distortion and still way more bass than monks.

Sep 10, 2017 at 12:44 PM Post #22,878 of 75,287
I agree that the sound is amazing. I think you are understating the defect. I have had two pairs , different cable types, same thing happens. I listen to indie rock music mostly (see my profile) and its not what anyone would call extreme bass and I listen without an amp — just right out of the phone of laptop. they now rattle (like a speaker rattle) during bass peaks at regular listening levels. If you can tell me a way to fix it fine, but people should know that there is a high probability that this bud has a high probability of developing this issue. So at $10 its amazing,but for me one pair lasted 2 months, another less than 1 month. (I listen everyday on my buds). I just don't want people to have to experience things the hard way. I now use the FAAEAL 32 as my main buds. smooth and clear sound, lacks a tad of th ebass of the vido, but way less distortion and still way more bass than monks.

There should be a simple solution for this because it is not a defect and isn't a driver fault/malfunction. I am not downplaying it, my pair works amazingly well currently. I can only imagine a reason why it started rattling only after some time and not from the beginning. When you keep inserting them, the connection between 2 plastic parts of the shell starts creating this issue.
For a potential fix (which could be permanent), try opening them up and closing again. They aren't the easiest things to open, there is glue involved. I used a knife and pushed it all around the edge of plastic, then I tried to pull it away with my fingernail. Be careful not to pull too hard, you don't want to destroy the membrane or its connection to the driver.
You could stop there and return everything, but I went further with my pair. Driver was glued in, I used a knife to remove visible glue from the driver and surrounding plastic and then the driver could be pulled away. I carefully started pulling the membrane from the bottom (part that is opposite to the cutout where the coil wires go from driver to membrane). Some glue managed to come in between membrane and rest of the driver (maybe it was intentional, but I ended up pulling carefully enough to stretch this glue until the membrane broke free). Obviously, the membrane must be close to the driver at all times, coil wires mustn't be damaged otherwise the driver is a goner. So, removing and reinserting the driver could be a second step of solution, if just opening and closing them doesn't work out.
Last option would be to extend the plastic of the back part of the case so that it creates additional pressure on the back of the driver when it's closed. Perhaps gluing a few layers of paper on the thin plastic all around could be a solution. I didn't do this last part as I don't need to at the moment, plus, I am going to use these drivers for my DIY Piano Forte build anyways.

When I opened EMX500, that was only the second pair of earbuds that I had opened, it is very simple if you are careful. The first pair was Vido and I didn't destroy anything there either. Here is a photo of EMX500, maybe it will have some value for anyone who has issues and would like to try some of this.
00kSHHY.jpg
HGKz2GJ.jpg

Sep 10, 2017 at 11:24 PM Post #22,881 of 75,287
Are you using any foams? I find the EMX500 brighter than the Graphene.

I'm using full foams from the package. My Graphene is from NICEHCK, by the way.

For me I don't find EMX500 brighter.

Maybe there are enough sub-bass in EMX500 to balance the extended high. But the high is quite natural not color as I hear from Graphene.

Different ears, different taste. Sometime I wonder, are we talking about the same earbud? lol

Sep 10, 2017 at 11:40 PM Post #22,882 of 75,287
There should be a simple solution for this because it is not a defect and isn't a driver fault/malfunction. I am not downplaying it, my pair works amazingly well currently. I can only imagine a reason why it started rattling only after some time and not from the beginning. When you keep inserting them, the connection between 2 plastic parts of the shell starts creating this issue.
For a potential fix (which could be permanent), try opening them up and closing again.

Thanks for the tip, I'll check it out and if it works I'll get back to you.

Sep 11, 2017 at 12:37 AM Post #22,883 of 75,287
Wow, fresh from the oven(s)!!!
Care to share your first impressions of those earbuds? thanks.

Nameless still has the Moondrop's house signature - airy, open and detailed. But it is also tuned just a little warmer than its bigger brother so it is probably the most balanced (as far as warm vs. neutral goes) in the family and should be quite enjoyable for both sides. On a side note, I really like the cable on this earbud.

The new Qian69 is very much like the old version, very fun and dynamic. I'll say they are >90% similar in sound, as the new version is slightly less open than the old version but with a more textured mid range. If you already have the old version, I don't think you need to rush out to get the new one. However, given the same low price, both version are still great bargain, which is pretty much how Qian like to market their products.

RW-777 is the new flagship from YinCrow. The tuning is kind of different from their earlier model, the X6, which has a slightly V-shaped sound that emphasis on dynamic and energy. The RW-777 on the other hand has more of a mature sound - warm and smooth with a pretty good mid-range. If you already own the X6, the RW-777 will compliment it very well. One thing to note is that the housing is a copy from Hifiman's ES100, but made out of metal instead of plastic and surprisingly quite comfortable. As far as SQ goes, it is also well ahead of ES100.

Sep 11, 2017 at 1:48 AM Post #22,884 of 75,287
QianYun Qian69 - Earbud

www.aliexpress.com/item/Newest-QianYun-Qian69-In-Ear-Earphone-Earbud-Dynamic-Flat-Head-Plug-Earbud-Bass-HIFI-Earphone-Bass/32830311159.html

What a little GEM! Crisp highs, smooth mids and just a touch of sub-bass. Nice, clear wide soundstage. These are SUPER light and fit great! Only issue is the cable is very thin and not the best 3.5mm plug. These would be great for quick re-cable for those so incline.

The Qian69 is quite a nice surprise. I was not expecting to like them so much. Plus they are very photogenic.

P1090628.jpg

P1090627.jpg

P1090630.jpg

P1090632.jpg

--

Sep 11, 2017 at 2:57 AM Post #22,885 of 75,287
Nameless still has the Moondrop's house signature - airy, open and detailed. But it is also tuned just a little warmer than its bigger brother so it is probably the most balanced (as far as warm vs. neutral goes) in the family and should be quite enjoyable for both sides. On a side note, I really like the cable on this earbud.

The new Qian69 is very much like the old version, very fun and dynamic. I'll say they are >90% similar in sound, as the new version is slightly less open than the old version but with a more textured mid range. If you already have the old version, I don't think you need to rush out to get the new one. However, given the same low price, both version are still great bargain, which is pretty much how Qian like to market their products.

RW-777 is the new flagship from YinCrow. The tuning is kind of different from their earlier model, the X6, which has a slightly V-shaped sound that emphasis on dynamic and energy. The RW-777 on the other hand has more of a mature sound - warm and smooth with a pretty good mid-range. If you already own the X6, the RW-777 will compliment it very well. One thing to note is that the housing is a copy from Hifiman's ES100, but made out of metal instead of plastic and surprisingly quite comfortable. As far as SQ goes, it is also well ahead of ES100.
Many thanks for you very insightful opinions (as always). My Moondrop Nameless is probably on the plane here or has already landed on the shore now. I have not tried Nameless so I can't comment on the sound but aesthetically speaking, Nameless does not look half as nice as the more expensive brothers.

I have a Qian39 for a while now and I used to enjoy it a lot. Since the earbud maker 潜 himself stated in Taobao that if you have small ears go for 39, implying that Qian69 is physically bigger than 39, I decided to just pass on 69.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 11, 2017 at 3:21 AM Post #22,886 of 75,287

@ClieOS by 'old version' you meant Qian39,right?

Sep 11, 2017 at 3:28 AM Post #22,887 of 75,287
Some of my thoughts and photos I took of the NICEHCK DIY Graphene:

I'm REALLY liking the NICEHCK DIY Graphene. It is such a great all around earbud. Teases at neutral. Sub-bass is tame and under control. Mids are simple and musical. Highs are tame and rolled off nicely.

Also, I must say, I LOVE the look. The build is nice and the cable is not as tangly as I first thought it would be.

As for fit, I personally like this style and find it super comfortable. Though I am sure this shape can treat everyone different.

Overall, it is really quite a nice earbud for the price. Also great for those just starting out with earbuds.

P1090623.jpg

P1090616.jpg

P1090619.jpg

P1090622.jpg

--

Are you doing a Review on Them? I'm curious how it stack up against some of the Higher Priced Earbuds

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2017 at 3:44 AM Post #22,888 of 75,287
@ClieOS by 'old version' you meant Qian39,right?
QianYun69 was released last year (or earlier?) but the production and sales of 69 were halted due to quality issues. The manufacturer stated on Baidu Tieba that they received complaints about the plating flaking off and faceplate falling off by itself. Aside from the mechanical issues, they also brightened the high frequency area and did some adjustments to the sound.

You can not tell apart the new version from the old. They look exactly the same.

Sep 11, 2017 at 3:51 AM Post #22,889 of 75,287
Hi guys, new here, been lurking for a while now, would be grateful for some advice and comparison from those more experienced.

I currently own a 1MORE quad, ve asura 2 and a TFZ E3.

I'm looking for an earbud that has more clarity than the asura but slightly warmer than the quads with a large soundstage.

The ones on my list atm are

1 Rose Masya
2 Shozy BK
3 Toneking TY2
4 1MORE E1008

Do any of you own either of these mentioned and have a comparison between the ones I own, as I do not have the luxury of testing these chinese products in person.

The Rose Mojito sounds like the one I'm looking for but i'm unwilling to spend that much, for now...

Cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back