Earbuds Round-Up
Aug 11, 2017 at 3:11 PM Post #22,051 of 75,252
My initial impression of TY 150s (silver plug) with thick foams. I'm listening with a Schiit Mimby/Project Polaris Amp.

The bass is impressive. It's pretty clean. It's fast and has excellent impact that reminds me of Zen 1.0.

However, overall the earbuds is bright. The brightest from my collection. I can't listen too long without getting fatigued. Also, the mid is a bit recessed. It's still under 50h, but I really have a hard time believing burn-in.

Aug 11, 2017 at 3:41 PM Post #22,052 of 75,252
My initial impression of TY 150s (silver plug) with thick foams. I'm listening with a Schiit Mimby/Project Polaris Amp.

The bass is impressive. It's pretty clean. It's fast and has excellent impact that reminds me of Zen 1.0.

However, overall the earbuds is bright. The brightest from my collection. I can't listen too long without getting fatigued. Also, the mid is a bit recessed. It's still under 50h, but I really have a hard time believing burn-in.

what foams are you using with them?

Aug 11, 2017 at 4:02 PM Post #22,053 of 75,252
Trying out a new "budget" earbud, at least new to me from Initiate Audio in Indonesia. I only refer to it as "budget" due to the fact that the seller miss-estimated the shipping cost, so had to pay the $12 Western Union fee twice, bringing the total to $64. This was after I decided to pay a little extra on the second payment to more than cover the missing, so $45 USD or so should be about the correct amount after fees and shipping to the US.

The sound is slightly V shaped, but nothing that should cause any issue for those that dislike V shaped sigs. I'm a horrible judge of treble, but there's certainly that sparkle that should be there, so I get the feeling these are a bit heavy on the treble, so maybe closer to a backwards L shape. Anyone looking for bass, use some EQ and they respond quite well to it, bringing out the sub-bass to where it should be. It uses THE standard shell, so you already know how it'll fit. Disregarding shipping & WU fee it's a sub-20USD earbud, and in that range it's impressive for my tastes. I just got it yesterday, so still learning it, and haven't done any comparisons. As it's still early on with no burn in save a few hours of listening so far, all I'll say is it handles orchestral music like Nobuo Uematsu's Distant Worlds album quite nicely, and with EQ does quite well with Childish Gambino (which is by no means my normal type of music, but may as well expand my horizons.) For those that have tried it and is a similar cost, I suspect this'll suit me better than the Elibuds Sabia V4.

The one flaw, a physical one, is when putting the cover on it wasn't seated properly on one side, so it's angled a little bit, but I hear no imbalance in the sound, nor feel any discomfort. It appears to use the same cable as the Sawarna which can be seen at Rholupat, a cable that looks awfully like the one used by Auglamour RX-1, but not quite the same.

Aug 11, 2017 at 7:05 PM Post #22,055 of 75,252
The thick non-donuts foams that came with it. I was hoping they would dampen the treble at bit. But still a little bright.
After some time and really hard burn jn. I think it sound amazing and make music sounds very lively. Doesn't work well with some modern production that already has aggressive loud war mastering with heavy compression, then it become too much and all the flaws became obvious. Treble for me gets better after 100hr+ burnin and is fine with 90% of my library but still is annoying with some heavy treble tracks also some old pop was on the edge of sibilance. Though on some records it sound so amazing, better than TOTL three times the price, I rediscovered some of my music collection with these.. But yeah can be fatiguing and this pumped up sound signature doesn't fit everything neither everyone tastes... I like old analog music with these the most. And female voices.

Tyler the creator flower boy is good example of failure for these. Recessed vocals, overwhelming bass, sharp treble... A disaster.

Brian Eno after the heat, on the other side. Omg I never enjoyed this record as much before. The very tame production is slightly more energetic, just right.

Aug 11, 2017 at 7:12 PM Post #22,056 of 75,252
It seems there has been a real graphene earphone membrane made in a lab, check out this link, but you are right, this membrane would have to be super thin if it was a single layer of graphene. Maybe they sprinkled some graphite on the membrane and dubbed it a graphene driver lol.
All I know is that it sounds awesome!

Aug 11, 2017 at 9:14 PM Post #22,058 of 75,252

I received these a couple days ago and I agree about the brightness. They are too bright for me. I felt the same way about the TY 32s......... TY seems to have a lot of fans here, but their tuning just isn't for me.

Aug 11, 2017 at 9:34 PM Post #22,059 of 75,252
Was actually listening to them some more last night. They seem too mid-forward, almost to a fault... I'm not too crazy about them from the neutral AMP1 module, but they sound much better through the warmer AMP2. I think their signature makes them heavily source dependent.

I wonder how different the balanced sound is to the non balanced.
Do you think the balanced version could make the sound more clinical?
I have the silver and black non balanced versions and they're very very close if not the same.
I prefer a detailed and clear neutral sig so these are right up my alley. They are not for big bass.
I do prefer them to my CAX CF2's for that neutral clarity but I enjoy having both.

Aug 11, 2017 at 9:42 PM Post #22,060 of 75,252

I received these a couple days ago and I agree about the brightness. They are too bright for me. I felt the same way about the TY 32s......... TY seems to have a lot of fans here, but their tuning just isn't for me.

You guys aren't alone. But be careful about so blatantly saying that they 150s is bright....as the guy who made/designed the 150s created this very public post:

"Hear the warm voice feel very comfortable, hear the bright voice feel harsh, if you are so then your ears have been damaged."

Basically, if you think the 150s is bright, your ears are apparently broken LOL.

Anyways, I too was underwhelmed by the 150s, so much so that I had pretty much considered them to be a throw-away. But in retrospect I'm actually really glad they weren't great, as that forced me to do a bit of a DIY.

So, If you want to make the 150s far more enjoyable, and you're feeling a little ambitious, I did a fairly simple mod which honestly turned these into something I enjoy listening to on a daily basis (as opposed to how fatiguing they felt before).

This will require you to open the buds up, and firstly remove the tuning foam which blocks the venting holes on the shell (there's no foam or cotton on the back of the driver). Now, the next part I've only tested with a Hiegi donut foam, but of course you could try it with one of the included donut foams too (but I can't guarantee the same results)
What I did was to cut a little wedge out of the foam, which will give you access to cut along the elastic centre-line (in order to have 2 roughly equal pieces to use). Then you'll need to test fit the foam behind the driver, and cut just enough foam away from each piece so that the end pieces meet neatly, but don't overlap one another. Tuck the foam in, but don't bother with gluing it in.

I don't think this is the ultimate mod for these buds, but it certainly makes them more enjoyable. Using them with my Shanling M2s + Fiio A3, with bass boost turned on (buds always need a little extra help) the 150s now feels pretty well-balanced. The next step would be to experiment with tuning foam and cotton to really refine the signature.
2017-08-10 15-05-54 (B,Radius8,Smoothing4).jpg 2017-08-10 15-03-12 (B,Radius8,Smoothing4).jpg 20708417_10154944080396267_7857302853998351240_n.jpg 20727814_10154944080466267_2773687484405528085_n.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2017 at 9:48 PM Post #22,061 of 75,252
Was I just told in broken English that my ears are broken? :dt880smile: In fairness, I do think my ears are sensitive to treble. Or maybe it is my brain that is broken, since lots of people seem to love TY products.

Thanks for the mod, sounds like it is worth a try.

Aug 11, 2017 at 9:52 PM Post #22,062 of 75,252
Was I just told in broken English that my ears are broken? :dt880smile: In fairness, I do think my ears are sensitive to treble. Or maybe it is my brain that is broken, since lots of people seem to love TY products.

Thanks for the mod, sounds like it is worth a try.

All good, if you do the mod, please report back. Would be interesting to see if it had helped anyone else.

Aug 11, 2017 at 9:58 PM Post #22,063 of 75,252
You guys aren't alone. But be careful about so blatantly saying that they 150s is bright....as the guy who made/designed the 150s created this very public post:

"Hear the warm voice feel very comfortable, hear the bright voice feel harsh, if you are so then your ears have been damaged."

Basically, if you think the 150s is bright, your ears are apparently broken LOL.

Anyways, I too was underwhelmed by the 150s, so much so that I had pretty much considered them to be a throw-away. But in retrospect I'm actually really glad they weren't great, as that forced me to do a bit of a DIY.

So, If you want to make the 150s far more enjoyable, and you're feeling a little ambitious, I did a fairly simple mod which honestly turned these into something I enjoy listening to on a daily basis (as opposed to how fatiguing they felt before).

This will require you to open the buds up, and firstly remove the tuning foam which blocks the venting holes on the shell (there's no foam or cotton on the back of the driver). Now, the next part I've only tested with a Hiegi donut foam, but of course you could try it with one of the included donut foams too (but I can't guarantee the same results)
What I did was to cut a little wedge out of the foam, which will give you access to cut along the elastic centre-line (in order to have 2 roughly equal pieces to use). Then you'll need to test fit the foam behind the driver, and cut just enough foam away from each piece so that the end pieces meet neatly, but don't overlap one another. Tuck the foam in, but don't bother with gluing it in.

I don't think this is the ultimate mod for these buds, but it certainly makes them more enjoyable. Using them with my Shanling M2s + Fiio A3, with bass boost turned on (buds always need a little extra help) the 150s now feels pretty well-balanced. The next step would be to experiment with tuning foam and cotton to really refine the signature.

Yea, I read his post. I don't think it's good idea to go around accusing your customers of their broken ears LOL. For all we know, his ears could be "broken" from the 6+ months of R&D and his tuning is off.

Aug 11, 2017 at 10:00 PM Post #22,064 of 75,252
Yea, I read his post. I don't think it's good idea to go around accusing your customers of their broken ears LOL. For all we know, his ears could be "broken" from the 6+ months of R&D and his tuning is off.
:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

I think a lot of it is also how people who have a lot of experience with buds have become accustomed to a brighter signature...so much so that to them a bright signature sounds neutral to them. But if you take something as neutral as a reference monitor (ProPhile 8, for example), and compare them, you quickly see just how bright these buds can be (with regards to something which actually IS neutral).

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2017 at 11:55 PM Post #22,065 of 75,252
Hey guys can anyone tell me how the shozy stardust sounds compared to say the qian 39? I have the ty650 and rose masya as well but I kind of prefer the qian 39. Im wondering if the stardust will have the sound signature I like. I dont like the ty650 or masya as they both sound a little on the thin side. Voices dont sound natural or full to me which is why i prefer the qian 39 it sounds more natural to me. I would really appreciate your thoughts on this. Thank you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back