Earbuds Round-Up
May 31, 2017 at 8:23 PM Post #20,431 of 75,272
Sad to see all this Vapman news. I had one sale with him that ended in a PayPal claim, but that was mainly due to a misunderstanding.

Has anyone here tried CIEMs? Just got some "budget" acrylic ones, but the sound is just disappointing. It's like I'm listening to a budget earbud, but with TOTL earbud price (actually more). The barrier-to-entry cost is just so high, and then it just skyrockets when you get to TOTL. Earbuds really do have great value. I'm not touching CIEMs again...

Yes. I picked up a pair of Heir Audio CIEMs back when they were first introduced. I was never been able to get good seal with them (after spending almost $700 in total) and have them remain comfortable. I had them re-worked twice. I tried selling them, gave up and ended up giving them away to someone who was going to have them re-shelled for $250 or something along those lines. Hope they have a better time with it than I. I did pick up a pair of Iansean single BA IEMs from Amazon for $7. They are really nice for the price. I'm waiting for my Zen 2 Black Edition to finish on the burn station so I can toss these on for 50-100hrs and see if anything changes.

May 31, 2017 at 9:58 PM Post #20,432 of 75,272
@ClieOS , Moondrop new flagship? O_o
18740434_10155123083006900_8439508034610731868_n.jpg

Yes, that's Moondrop latest flagship.They already released it in very small number. I might pick one up next week.
This is the first time I've heard of Moondrop. How are their products? They don't seem to be on AliExpress.
I found their website: http://www.moondrop.cn/col.jsp?id=107

May 31, 2017 at 10:47 PM Post #20,434 of 75,272
May 31, 2017 at 11:05 PM Post #20,435 of 75,272
This is the first time I've heard of Moondrop. How are their products? They don't seem to be on AliExpress.
I found their website: http://www.moondrop.cn/col.jsp?id=107

Their previous flgship, the VX Pro, is airy, neutral, detailed and specious. Not quite an ToTL earbuds yet but easily competes in 2nd tier / contender level market. The new flagship Liebesleid is a huge jump in price, but also said to be a ToTL level earbuds. I will probably receive mine sometime next week and will update with an impression.

Jun 1, 2017 at 12:19 AM Post #20,436 of 75,272
My Review of an Earbud, but I can't tell you where to buy it. You'll have to look that up yourself.

*Disclaimer - I did receive this free, for the purpose of reviewing*

**** DIY MX760:

P1090482.jpg

*Specs*

- Impedance: 64Ω
- Headphone sensitivity: 105db±2db
- Frequency range: 20-20000Hz
- Cable Length: 1.2m±5cm

P1090474.jpg

*Build*

The housings are based on the MX760 design. There are no labels for Left or Right on the shells, instead there is just a small raised bump on the left side. You will also notice that the shells are slightly off center, giving the tip a more angled entry into the ear. The cable is directly shared with the DIY EMX500 and I've found it does like to wind itself up and tangle from time to time. Both the splitter and the 3.5mm plug are housed in diamond cut metal, making for a good grip.

P1090481.jpg P1090480.jpg

*Sound*

Lows - Bass is not over extended, but there is a bit of darkness. Mids can get interupted on certain tracks as the lows creep up. Sub-bass takes a back seat to a the mid-bass bump.

Mids - Vocals are treated with a smoothness that could be described as a touch recessed. The details that do come through are enjoyable.

Highs - Never fear, no harshness here to be found with the **** DIY MX760. The upper frequencies do communicate accurate playback without fatigue.

Soundstage - I liked the distance the **** DIY MX760 provides, it is neither congested, nor too wide, but just right.

P1090473.jpg

*Driving*

The **** DIY MX760 does seem to need a little extra juice to reach their full potential. While they are rated at 64ohm and can technically be driven by most anything, I found they responded best to my full desktop setup. Pairing them with something like a FiiO M3 or Benjie S5 gave me the feeling feeling something was being left out.

P1090490.jpg

*Overall Thoughts*

If your looking for a slightly dark sound, with a mid-bass kick, easy mids, non-harsh highs and a decent soundstage, the **** DIY MX760 might be the earbud for you.

--

Jun 1, 2017 at 12:23 AM Post #20,437 of 75,272
P70601-171236-001.jpg
My Review of an Earbud, but I can't tell you where to buy it. You'll have to look that up yourself.

*Disclaimer - I did receive this free, for the purpose of reviewing*

**** DIY MX760:

*Specs*

- Impedance: 64Ω
- Headphone sensitivity: 105db±2db
- Frequency range: 20-20000Hz
- Cable Length: 1.2m±5cm

*Build*

The housings are based on the MX760 design. There are no labels for Left or Right on the shells, instead there is just a small raised bump on the left side. You will also notice that the shells are slightly off center, giving the tip a more angled entry into the ear. The cable is directly shared with the DIY EMX500 and I've found it does like to wind itself up and tangle from time to time. Both the splitter and the 3.5mm plug are housed in diamond cut metal, making for a good grip.

*Sound*

Lows - Bass is not over extended, but there is a bit of darkness. Mids can get interupted on certain tracks as the lows creep up. Sub-bass takes a back seat to a the mid-bass bump.

Mids - Vocals are treated with a smoothness that could be described as a touch recessed. The details that do come through are enjoyable.

Highs - Never fear, no harshness here to be found with the **** DIY MX760. The upper frequencies do communicate accurate playback without fatigue.

Soundstage - I liked the distance the **** DIY MX760 provides, it is neither congested, nor too wide, but just right.

*Driving*

The **** DIY MX760 does seem to need a little extra juice to reach their full potential. While they are rated at 64ohm and can technically be driven by most anything, I found they responded best to my full desktop setup. Pairing them with something like a FiiO M3 or Benjie S5 gave me the feeling feeling something was being left out.

*Overall Thoughts*

If your looking for a slightly dark sound, with a mid-bass kick, easy mids, non-harsh highs and a decent soundstage, the **** DIY MX760 might be the earbud for you.

--
Mine in the way to me )) but them have 32 Ohm

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2017 at 1:42 AM Post #20,439 of 75,272
Sad to see all this Vapman news. I had one sale with him that ended in a PayPal claim, but that was mainly due to a misunderstanding.

Has anyone here tried CIEMs? Just got some "budget" acrylic ones, but the sound is just disappointing. It's like I'm listening to a budget earbud, but with TOTL earbud price (actually more). The barrier-to-entry cost is just so high, and then it just skyrockets when you get to TOTL. Earbuds really do have great value. I'm not touching CIEMs again...

I have CAX Black coming in this week. I decided to separate the order from CampFred 2 since my impatience got the better of me. I'm really hoping these are as great as I've read online. Already been selling a few things, but I've been considering selling ALL my high-end crap (DACs, Amps, Headphones, and even cables...) to buy a DX200 (or the new X7 this summer), put the rest into savings, and be done with it.

AGREE! Several people warned me but i just HAD To try it :sob: I've found CIEM experience pretty frustrating in spite of very good customer service from the company. I think my expectations were residual from CIEM reputation during the days when really good universal IEM and earbuds were relatively scarce and hard to discover... now I suspect the best justification is for practical applications (like for people who can't find comfort or isolation with UIEM).

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2017 at 8:55 AM Post #20,445 of 75,272
Can anyone recommend me a good earbud around 100 or less. Currently i'm using Mrz Tomahawk, lovely earbud but the size hurts my ear.
Seahf 650? But you need amp.all rounder, a bit v shaped.

Blur diy, a mid centric earbud with amazing clarity and open soundstage. 300ohm, need power to shine

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back