Earbuds Round-Up
Mar 1, 2017 at 2:57 AM Post #18,407 of 75,300
  Has this been posted yet?  Interesting Color Schemes and only $7USD:

www.aliexpress.com/item/Hot-selling-3-5mm-In-ear-Earphones-Flat-Head-Plug-DIY-Earphone-HiFi-Bass-Earbuds-DJ/32791984472.html

==

Haven't seen it yet, but did you order a set? I didn't notice it there or I would have bought it as I literally bought & had shipped a MMCX cable for some IEMs of mine from CKLewis not even 24 hours ago. CKLewis is good people. Bought several times from them.

Mar 1, 2017 at 3:00 AM Post #18,408 of 75,300
  Haven't seen it yet, but did you order a set? I didn't notice it there or I would have bought it as I literally bought & had shipped a MMCX cable for some IEMs of mine from CKLewis not even 24 hours ago. CKLewis is good people. Bought several times from them.

I did not order a set yet.  Though I have ordered several times from CKLewis as well.  I have never spoken a single word to anyone there.

I just order and wait.

--

Mar 1, 2017 at 3:42 AM Post #18,409 of 75,300
  Has this been posted yet?  Interesting Color Schemes and only $7USD:

www.aliexpress.com/item/Hot-selling-3-5mm-In-ear-Earphones-Flat-Head-Plug-DIY-Earphone-HiFi-Bass-Earbuds-DJ/32791984472.html

I've posted it before... Someone bought a pair of those headphones off Taobao. I hope they post a review sometime.

Mar 1, 2017 at 8:01 AM Post #18,410 of 75,300
@vapman At roughly 50 hours roughly I can start assuming I'm close to where the bud's balancing will end up from burn in.  The candy bud continues to have a very respectable bass that's roughly equivalent to E808+, but I think with better quality.  On some songs I swear I feel the vibration in my ears.  I haven't heard anything indicating it's particularly treble heavy, so hopefully no discomfort for those with that issue.  Vocals seem to be the strongest suit of this earbud, as they are quite forward and present, making the voice known among the bass.  It's possible the vocals are on par with Cygnus/Crow, but it's too early to say.  Overall, I'd say the best description I can offer is marrying the bass of something like the E808+ with the Cygnus's strengths.

The overall presentation is immersive, placing you right in the music.  Instrument location isn't difficult whatsoever to identify in orchestral music, but at times choir + orchestra can leave the instruments somewhat overpowered by the singing.  The previously mentioned bass will help bring an appropriate weight to instruments that need it in order to sound full or proper.  As I have a horrible horrible time judging sound stage, I cannot say how good it is, but given the feeling of being immersed in music, I can venture a guess that it's a somewhat closed stage.  It's certainly not like the staging of the Mojito for example where you feel distanced from the singer & instruments.  I'd have to say for a lot of my music there is no issue with this as it just makes me feel closer.  Detailing so far feels above average, and fairly decent considering this earbud feels more aimed at fun-based listening instead of analytical.

Interestingly, I haven't found a track yet that I feel it's ill suited for so far.  While it may not play Rachmaninoff's 2nd piano concerto to the level of the Mojito or CampFred, not much in the earbud world could.  It still managed to pull this off admirably.  It handles guitar quite well, my test track for this being Foo Fighters' Stranger Things Have Happened.  There's an almost visceral quality to the plucking of the strings at times.  The orchestral and vocal mentions from before were based on Nobuo Uematsu's Memoro de la Stono.  My go to bass test track is Portishead's It's a Fire, a trip hop song that I'm quite familiar with, having listened to it for 22 or so years now.  It also helps me to see how well vocals can keep ahead of bass as there are times she's quite drowned out.

I wish I had a mind to allow me to properly articulate what I hear, and an ear discerning enough to help better paint a picture for you all.

Mar 1, 2017 at 11:08 AM Post #18,411 of 75,300
Thanks for that. You aren't half as bad as articulating what you hear as you seem to think!

I finally found my last working E100, so I think I will recable it and toss a 6.5mm plug on to use without adapters on my studio gear. It was always very good for that, because of its very low sensitivity.

My SHE3800 mod is very far in the works, need to order some extras but I see you all nearly doubled the price!!!!

Mar 1, 2017 at 1:13 PM Post #18,412 of 75,300

I've posted it before... Someone bought a pair of those headphones off Taobao. I hope they post a review sometime.

I just got some of those in this week, the white/blue and the blue/blue. I'll give some impressions in a day or two after I've put them through their paces. OOTB though, so far so good,

Mar 1, 2017 at 6:21 PM Post #18,414 of 75,300
Just got the Phillips SHE 3800. They were so absurdly cheap (at $3.21) I felt silly ordering just one, so I bought two:

https://www.fasttech.com/product/1460600-philips-she3800-3-5mm-earphone

Let me just say that I'm blown away! I can't imagine there's a better price/performance ratio earbud out there.I bought these to replace the latest set of Yuin PK3's that I lost. I like to keep a set of headphones in my pants pocket at all times, but unfortunately that does result in phones getting lost or going through the wash every 6 months of so. That's a lot easier to stomach when you're talking about a $3 earbud than a $35.00 earbud!

This is how I'd describe the sound:

Bass: Plenty of bass. For a non-IEM earbud I just don't think you can complain about the quantity that these deliver, and to my ears it's pretty tight bass, too. Doesn't come across as muddy or bloated.

Treble: Not so much. I like a warmer sound, so I do wear my earbuds with foamies, and that's how I'm reviewing these. The SHE 3800 definitely demand equalization. On my Galaxy Note 4 with PowerAmp I've got the bass up by a little and the mid and above ranges maxed. These would probably benefit from donut foams.

I'm not an audiophile, and I don't have the lingo down, so I can't really describe these any better than that. Bass and treble is about the limit of my audio vocabulary. I'm just a guy who once bought a pair of Sennheiser PX100's and had his eyes opened to just how much he was missing by listening to the headphones that were bundled with his music players. I've been scouring the low-end of decent hi-fi ever since.

I've got several more sub $20.00 earbuds on order inspired by what I've read in this thread. The next couple of pairs may well end up sounding qualitatively better, but there's just no way they're going to touch these as far as bang for the buck is concerned. I'm honestly thinking about ordering 10 of these guys and just tossing them in the back of my bedside table drawer for whenever I need a decent sounding set of earbuds. At $32.10 it would still be cheaper than a single pair of PK3's.

Mar 1, 2017 at 6:54 PM Post #18,415 of 75,300
You make me more eager to hear my Philips. How long did the shipping take for you? I can't find a way to track my order on fasttech. It's been 14 days and I still don't know where it's now.

Mar 1, 2017 at 7:27 PM Post #18,416 of 75,300
You make me more eager to hear my Philips. How long did the shipping take for you? I can't find a way to track my order on fasttech. It's been 14 days and I still don't know where it's now.

Depending on shipping method you can't track, I've found to UK it'll take anywhere from 10 days to a month from Fasttech irrespective of shipping method used.

Mar 2, 2017 at 12:11 AM Post #18,419 of 75,300
Mar 2, 2017 at 12:25 AM Post #18,420 of 75,300
Depending on shipping method you can't track, I've found to UK it'll take anywhere from
Looks like I ordered it Feb 22. So mine took about a week to get here. I guess your mileage may vary.
10 days to a month from Fasttech irrespective of shipping method used.

I'm in the US and opted for their free shipping. I did recall their estimate shipping time is something up to 30days. Wrost case scenario is that it would arrive when I completely forgot about it, should be a pleasant surprise. lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back