Earbuds Round-Up
Jan 29, 2017 at 1:27 AM Post #17,011 of 75,316
hey all,
currently enjoying my TY HP400s out of my LG V10.
I really like what I'm hearing but I would like a bit more clarity & more energy in the upper mids without sacrifying bass & full lower mids. Any recommandation? 
I'm not sure that HP650 would be the right path, currently leaning toward K's 500 instead. I'm also thinking about Shozy Stardust/BK but I'm afraid it won't have enough bass for my taste (currently have Cygnus --> not enough bass)
Thanks 

Stardust with full foams seem fairly bassy to me (for earbuds at least), I haven't messed with EQ though, little wary of ruining them since they give me "easy to drive, easy to blow out" vibes.

It seems like you might be on the hunt for something a bit V-ish though.

Jan 29, 2017 at 1:52 AM Post #17,012 of 75,316
  Gmarket is legit, no problems with using them. The general sound sig is comparable to the **** PT15 but with the focus on mids and upper mids instead of treble as with the PT15. I don't know if it will satisfy the treble head in you since I don't find them too bright. However I can't think of any other bud that has such a forward upper midrange and sound good doing it.

I think Puresounds 600 is better at clarity and detail during stuff where details might often get left out in a lot of other buds. Ucotech 905 is comparable to PT15 in a lot of ways but mainly moved the focus from treble to mids. I think Puresounds 600 will be more acceptable to more people as the 905 sound is pretty specific and unique.

P.S. You can EQ up 905's bass a good amount. wish i could push it a little more but it does well.

So am I correct that they sound somewhat similar to the Shozy Cygnus? And how is the soundstage?

Thank-you

G-Market use PayPal, es903 have same drivers like to em905

Ah I see I see. How do they compare to the Yinman 500?

Thank-you

Jan 29, 2017 at 2:09 AM Post #17,013 of 75,316
Perhaps it is time to share the earbud I received last Monday?

Meet Diomnes Lv2:

It comes with a leather strap with the ABnormal logo on it

I waited to share my impressions. First I left it to Hersang of ABnormal. Then I wanted to see how it sounded like after 100 hours of burn in. Also, when i read that Diomnes batch 2 has already been sold out I didn't feel any rush...

Mine is the Golden version the V2 like this one :)

Mine isnt stiff at all from the earbuds to the splitter, very similar to my old Demun from the splitter down due to the sleeving.

Wow, V2 and V2 Lv.2.
Great review and comparison.
I only had V1 with viablue-gold plated jack, and it's already amazing sound.

-------------------------------------------------

And i still waiting for official review of puresound 600 from mr.justin.
I got my eyes for this bud

Jan 29, 2017 at 2:21 AM Post #17,014 of 75,316
  So am I correct that they sound somewhat similar to the Shozy Cygnus? And how is the soundstage?

Thank-you

Ah I see I see. How do they compare to the Yinman 500?

Thank-you

They have better bass and a more forward sound than the Cygnus. I think the Cygnus is only really better in channel separation.

BTW one big thing I forgot to mention is the Ucotech can beat the Puresounds 600 when used directly with a DAP. With a player that has enough power or an amp, the Puresounds really comes alive then and then it isn't much of a contest. With the Walnut they are good because that gives them enough power. Something like the Xduoo X3 can drive the Puresounds 600 loud enough, but not with enough power for it to shine.

edit: even though the Ucotech has more bass than the Cygnus, the Qian39 on the same settings is a heck of a lot bassier than either. Well amped Puresounds 600 is not too far behind.

edit 2: I might think the Ucotech has more in common with Qian25 than Cygnus... a good thing IMO

Jan 29, 2017 at 4:05 AM Post #17,015 of 75,316
  They have better bass and a more forward sound than the Cygnus. I think the Cygnus is only really better in channel separation.

BTW one big thing I forgot to mention is the Ucotech can beat the Puresounds 600 when used directly with a DAP. With a player that has enough power or an amp, the Puresounds really comes alive then and then it isn't much of a contest. With the Walnut they are good because that gives them enough power. Something like the Xduoo X3 can drive the Puresounds 600 loud enough, but not with enough power for it to shine.

edit: even though the Ucotech has more bass than the Cygnus, the Qian39 on the same settings is a heck of a lot bassier than either. Well amped Puresounds 600 is not too far behind.

edit 2: I might think the Ucotech has more in common with Qian25 than Cygnus... a good thing IMO

Ah I see I see. Thanks a lot for the info mate!

So the Puresound still rain supreme if properly driven. I think I will pass on the 905 then.The Cygnus was already what I considered somehwat foward sounding. Anything "more forward" and I'd probably say that it would be congested (save for that magical seahf v1 which I destroyed).

Thank-you once again for the informative reply! 

Jan 29, 2017 at 4:35 AM Post #17,016 of 75,316

I rarely listen to these two amazing Indonesian earbuds ....
Kanzenoka Yin Yang (V1.2 I think) at the front and ELIbuds SABIA V1 at the back

when they are connected to my Soundblaster E5 DAC, SABIA has the best double pedals impact, while Yin Yang has best impact on the mid-high, compared to SABIA
I was listening to Disturbed's song from Believe album (well, I listen to metal songs for 70% of my day :wink: )

which one is better? I would say they have their pros and cons :wink:

Jan 29, 2017 at 4:59 AM Post #17,017 of 75,316
  Speaking of Philips, anyone gonna try out the SHE3205 or 4205??

I'm interested on the 3205 as well, same for the Sony STH30

That's insane...are you sure it's still coming? imo 64's are worth the wait, I enjoy them quite a bit, but i haven't listened to a lot of the higher end buds

Ya, they're coming. Probably in February.

Jan 29, 2017 at 10:21 AM Post #17,022 of 75,316
Quick update:

For those of you who remembered, a few weeks ago, I decided to received my brand new SeaHF 320Ohm drivers from Taobao and proceeded to revive my dead earbuds. One of those earbuds was the SeaHF 320Ohm V2. As one can see from the picture below:​
 ​
The shell of the 320Ohm V2 (black) had some tuning foam (?) applied to it whilst the V1 (white) does not. Initially, using the drivers without foam backing as indicated below:​
I got a similar sound signature to the to the SeaHF 320Ohm V1 (white shell, which housed the drivers with the foam backing). I guess this makes sense when you think about it as using a driver with foam backing in a "clean shell" will provide similar results to using a "clean driver" in a shell with foam (black).​
 ​
Hence today I decided to remove the black foam from the shell of the 320Ohm V2 and noticed an immediate change in sound signature. For one, they sounded less intimate, *vocals was slightly recessed, the soundstage widened and deepened considerably, whilst the overall sound signature became more relaxed as to me separation and details were somewhat "smoothed over".  ​
 ​
In comparison with the newly recabled and "redrivered" SeaHF 320Ohm V1, it sounds more relaxed whilst the former sounded brighter, more aggressive, narrower staged, more forward, better detailed.
 ​
All in all, the magic which was the original SeaHF 320Ohm V1 will never again be recreated.​
 ​
 ​
Recabled and Redrivered 320Ohm V1:​
 ​
Recabled and redrivered V2:​

(All cables were hand braided from a single strand)​

​
Edit: *BugBro mentioned that the drivers with foam backing has better vocal performance, so maybe that would explain why removing the black foam slightly recessed he vocals.

By no means is the V2 now inferior to the V1, just different. The trade offs for a larger and deeper staging is personally considered to be minimal.

Jan 29, 2017 at 2:07 PM Post #17,023 of 75,316
I finally got some time with K's 300ohm. 

Unlike some ppl here I was really enjoying K's 64 and decided to try their upper model, while refraining from their 500's due to controversal feedback (good performing but very fatigueing).

I am not a master of review, but I should not following - the 300's are indeed good.
Given enough power - they are extremely good.

Being straightforward I should say there are two major cons:
1) Cable is so bad it makes me wanna cry and weep. The plastic number&brand tag on it feels like a suicide note.
2) They need power. I mean don't even bother getting them without amp.

Given the initial low price it feels weird. They are made cheap to be affordable, but they are anavailable for ppl who want to get "bang for the buck because" of technical constraints.

Anyway, talking about the sound - it is quite balanced, with recessed sub-bass, while bass is good (no massage to my eardrums, no matter what foams I used
biggrin.gif
). Maybe a fix proposed earlier in this thread - removing some dampening - will help, but I haven't tried this one yet.Vocals are pretty much "in your face type", while treble is not getting sibilant, but clearly would be too much for some (less than PT15 though).
Testing it with Diana Krall, Motorhead, Zero 7, Johny Cash and some other artists I haven't figured a genre it really sucks at.

As stories tell there are two genres that **** up majority of the earphones and crush your honeymoon with them - classic and metal (complex one). Well, this one is no exception. So I tried hi-rez classical (Rachmaninov) and yep, it was too much for this bud. Then I tried Dragonforce and Gaia Epicus... No comments.

The staging is pretty average imo. Overall it feels pretty immersive, balanced in signature. 
Can I recommend it?
Well, if you are in search for ONE-BUD-TO-RULE-THEM-ALL... No.
If you want something peculiar  - go on, this one is surely worth notice.

P/s/ 500's on the shopping list for next weekend =D
P/p/s want to know what I mean by complex? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dG7Rl3qxUqY 
P/p/p/s I am not affilated with any of vendors and bought it with my own money.

Jan 29, 2017 at 3:22 PM Post #17,024 of 75,316
What is an upgrade from TY HI-Z 32? With the same soundsig but more refined sounds

Budget is $30

Simple - TY Hi-Z 150, about $20.

Jan 29, 2017 at 3:45 PM Post #17,025 of 75,316
Since getting a XDuoo X3 again (finally own a gold one, and yes Rockbox does sound nicer to me) I was listening to a lot of buds I got while I didn't have it. The Qian25 sure is a weird one. It sounds great, but even with +8dB bass boost on the X3, the bass still hits deeper and seemingly stronger from the Qian39 with no EQ. I still love it though. It is hard to recommend the price of the Puresounds 600 after hearing the $7 Qian39. The 39 is a great choice for modding, and I imagine the 25 is as well. But, the Qian25 is so cheap and the Puresounds 600 is so expensive. When you buy the Qian25 you can rest assured you have probably 80-85% of what the Puresounds 600 has to offer. (The 15-20% improvement on the Puresounds is mainly in bass depth and overall speed/clarity compared to Qian25) yet I find the Qian25 to be good enough I may rather use it depending on the source.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back