Earbuds Round-Up
Dec 19, 2016 at 7:47 PM Post #15,481 of 75,149
Arrived my pair of Phillips SHE3800 and out of the box they are very bassy with some recessed mids, a bit veiled highs and grainy from time to time on some sounds... Not saying they are bad but for now not impressed... hopefully they will improve with time and burn in.

It's very strange, or you have a faulty pair, the SHE3800 has a more close-up iem high-end sound (nota being) than the **** PT15 that you find amazing. The high-end signatures doesn't usually hurt the ears the way PT15 hurt.

Dec 19, 2016 at 11:15 PM Post #15,483 of 75,149
So after about a month my Balanced Shozy Stardust isnt working anymore :/ i think it has to do with the jack. I have contacted Penon Audio to see if I can return it.

And to my ears at least...Cygnus is the best earbud. Even better than Stardust.

Oh no...

I think this confirms my lingering doubt with Stardust comparison based on reviews and also Shozy's answer. I recently asked their FB page if the vocals is the same as Cygnus and they replied with "It is all improved" which I thought might mean..it is different. I LOVE the vocals and mids in my Cygnus and was expecting the same (or better, but not so much different) vocals reproduction in their Stardust with better quality in all other aspects.

I got my Cygnus 2nd hand and had the chance to listen to it side by side with the seller's Campfred and while the later is better in most aspects that time, I still preferred the Cygnus' vocals. I completely lost interest in getting a Campfred (even after the owner posted it for sale at a lower price of course) after 3 months of using the Cygnus daily as it has improved in almost everything especially the bass and soundstage. Maybe the Qfred would trump it in the vocals aspect, maybe not. Anyone who has the Cygnus lying around and enjoying other buds, you might want to burn it in more to reach its full potential. I really enjoy it with Acoustic, POP, EDM, Alternative. Can't stand it though with music produced by bands like Three Days Grace, Breaking Benjamin, those kinds. For Jazz and Classical music, I feel like other buds with different sound signature (wider soundstage and better resolution) is more suited though I can still enjoy listening to these with the Cygnus. 

Now my problem is I stupidly dropped one of the buds in my coffee mug :/ I've been contemplating on just finding another set of buds with same vocals/mids characteristics. Anyone here knows if there's one that exists? If not, I might end up buying another Cygnus or replacing the broken bud which will cost 50USD from Shozy. In the meantime, I'm "trying" to enjoy my cheaper buds (Monks+, Remax 303, Senn MX375) swapping (and even cutting) foams and EQing to get the closest enjoyable sound I had with the Cygnus. Thank you everyone for making this thread super active, I visit here almost everyday and enjoy reading all your journeys.

Dec 19, 2016 at 11:21 PM Post #15,484 of 75,149
Arrived my pair of Phillips SHE3800 and out of the box they are very bassy with some recessed mids, a bit veiled highs and grainy from time to time on some sounds... Not saying they are bad but for now not impressed... hopefully they will improve with time and burn in.

They can sound bassy and a bit veiled out if the box. You'd better give them some time because they really open up with some burn in. And pair them with Monk plus thin foams if you have as they are best with for me. :thumbsup:

Dec 19, 2016 at 11:30 PM Post #15,485 of 75,149
Chrismas came early for me 
etysmile.gif

original ve monk (white letters) (top) and blox be3 (bottom)
thanks to @smith for selling me them and sending them so fast

the card had arrived yesterday, on its own and was hand written

Dec 19, 2016 at 11:48 PM Post #15,487 of 75,149
That was pretty fast! I might order some 32S depending on impressions.

My 32R still burning-in. But at 12 hour mark, it sounded a lot nicer than 32v1 or 32v2 at their 12th hour, which were terrible then.

Higher treble extension than 32v1 and more refined highs than 32v2 (32v1/v2 auditioned 2 days ago).
Highs & mids sounding similar to E808+ but slightly thicker than E808+.
Not much bass to speak of yet. Currently about same bass volume as Monk+ or SHE3800.

Will let it burn for a few more days.

Dec 19, 2016 at 11:58 PM Post #15,488 of 75,149
  That was pretty fast! I might order some 32S depending on impressions.

I know, I just ordered them on the 6th, it said that it was shipped on the 9th, maybe it was fast because of Christmas, didn't expect them to come before new years

Dec 20, 2016 at 12:05 AM Post #15,490 of 75,149
Your be3 mk1 or mk2, btw?

I think it's mk1, something about before December edition, if I remember reading it correctly 

Dec 20, 2016 at 12:27 AM Post #15,491 of 75,149

My 32R still burning-in. But at 12 hour mark, it sounded a lot nicer than 32v1 or 32v2 at their 12th hour, which were terrible then.

Higher treble extension than 32v1 and more refined highs than 32v2 (32v1/v2 auditioned 2 days ago).
Highs & mids sounding similar to E808+ but slightly thicker than E808+.
Not much bass to speak of yet. Currently about same bass volume as Monk+ or SHE3800.

Will let it burn for a few more days.

Do you have the PT15? Curious about how they compare on treble.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back