Earbuds Round-Up
Dec 20, 2016 at 7:42 AM Post #15,511 of 75,149
  I just received the TY HI-Z HP 32S earbuds from Penon Audio. I now have the Monk+, and Edifier H180. I've tried all three with my macbook pro using the headphone out. So far, the Edifier180 sound the best to me. The TY HI-Z HP 32S sound horrible. Way to much high end. I had to use a graphic EQ app to dial down everything from 1K on up to make them sound good. Very disappointing. The Monk+ are OK. I have the Qian 39 coming and I'm hoping they sound as good as everyone says they do. Maybe I should be using a USB Dac/Amp, I don't know if that wold change things or not. Should I send the TY HI-Z back and try something else? Any suggestions?

The original TY32 needed tons of burn in for me, I remember that the first impact was horrible. Thin-speaker like sound

Dec 20, 2016 at 8:48 AM Post #15,512 of 75,149
Have you heard earbuds such as AuGlamour RX1 and VE Asura 2?

Thanks for the suggestions
smile.gif
 RX1 is actually one of the buds I happen to try when buying the Cygnus..disappointed but I'd like to believe it was a faulty one, and maybe those that came from the same seller where he got it because we share the same observations for other units. It was almost all highs, I can hear the high end resolution but failed to bring out good mids and lows even after EQing (was using iBasso DX90 that time), nothing is happening. I'll give it another shot with other sellers here. I'm actually after the vocals from Cygnus, that bit of tubey or airy nasal thing to it that makes it sound more natural or organic. Anyone here who has a fully burned-in Cygnus and Asura 2 to compare?

One more bud that made me smile during that day was the TY HiZ 32ohm. Way better than the Monks+ he gave away for free, though admittedly, the Monks+ wasn't fully burned in that time. Maybe it's better to salvage my Cygnus' cable/plug and swap with HiZ 32 or even PK1. One lesson I've realized, if the sound is a lot different than what most people claim here when you get it, try to burn in. If it ain't improving, must be that you got a faulty one or have way different taste or sound perception than most.

Dec 20, 2016 at 10:46 AM Post #15,513 of 75,149

Do you have the PT15? Curious about how they compare on treble.

Never received it. Seeking refund from the unnameable seller.

purplesun and I were PMing about the PT15 in prior months...sorry that it never arrived from the seller that we will not name. At least you can get a PT15 for less than what you paid. Are you going to get a PT15 from a different seller? I like mine as you know, even got a backup. The PT15 is a **** through and through - extreme opinions for and against!

Dec 20, 2016 at 11:20 AM Post #15,514 of 75,149
Nope you are not alone. Exactly how I felt about the K500. They are fatiguing in my opinion. But they resolves so much details which is what I am looking for but unfortunately its too bright for my liking. Vocals do sound good on those though

I do mention in my review that they are not the best for extending listening.  I also prefer using them with a slightly warmer source.

Dec 20, 2016 at 11:28 AM Post #15,515 of 75,149
purplesun and I were PMing about the PT15 in prior months...sorry that it never arrived from the seller that we will not name. At least you can get a PT15 for less than what you paid. Are you going to get a PT15 from a different seller? I like mine as you know, even got a backup. The PT15 is a **** through and through - extreme opinions for and against!

Probably not. Was mostly slowing down on trying new earbuds back when I ordered PT15 anyway. Am not a collector like some/most members here. Been quite contented with my humble EDC set of Sony E808+, YMHPF64 & KZ-ATE(iem). In fact, most of the stuff I bought in recent testing mostly sits inside a big plastic container. **** & KZ iems, Monks, SHE3800, RX1, EO320 to name a few. Am going to be earphone Santa to my nephews and nieces. No gift wrapping and slightly used. :)

Dec 20, 2016 at 11:38 AM Post #15,516 of 75,149
Probably not. Was mostly slowing down on trying new earbuds back when I ordered PT15 anyway. Am not a collector like some/most members here. Been quite contented with my humble EDC set of Sony E808+, YMHPF64 & KZ-ATE(iem). In fact, most of the stuff I bought in recent testing mostly sits inside a big plastic container. **** & KZ iems, Monks, SHE3800, RX1, EO320 to name a few. Am going to be earphone Santa to my nephews and nieces. No gift wrapping and slightly used.
smily_headphones1.gif

Just got me Sony E808+ yesterday evening and am taking them for a spin this morning at the office.

Definitely hearing what @vapman did....they have bass for days, which can be fun with the right music :). Definitely one worth keeping, simply for wha they are good at.

Dec 20, 2016 at 11:46 AM Post #15,517 of 75,149
Just got me Sony E808+ yesterday evening and am taking them for a spin this morning at the office.

Definitely hearing what @vapman
 did....they have bass for days, which can be fun with the right music :). Definitely one worth keeping, simply for wha they are good at.

About the lowest bass in an earphone I have ever heard on a flat eq. But am not a bass connoisseur; clarity in mids and highs are more my thing. Which should kick-in in the E808+ after about a week's of use. Not everyone's cup of tea, for sure.

Dec 20, 2016 at 11:51 AM Post #15,518 of 75,149
About the lowest bass in an earphone I have ever heard on a flat eq. But am not a bass connoisseur; clarity in mids and highs are more my thing. Which should kick-in in the E808+ after about a week's of use. Not everyone's cup of tea, for sure.

Once I heard the bass I started testing it. Most challenging track for that I have is Flying Lotus' "All In" from the album "Until the Quiet Comes". He is a barbarian when it comes to mastering, and brickwalls everything. 

The E808+ handle the opening well, which is surprising. A lot of full-size cans I have heard battle to put it out coherently.

Dec 20, 2016 at 11:58 AM Post #15,519 of 75,149
@fleababy
I may be paranoid, but I think I may have destroyed one of my E808+ with overly aggressive burning-in. Just go easy on them for the first day or so. Fortunately, @vapman have proven that they can take lots of abuse after burning-in period.

Dec 20, 2016 at 2:01 PM Post #15,520 of 75,149
  https://twitter.com/adagamov/status/811125258468130816

Russian Post at its finest. Sorry for off-top, but I couldn't resist sharing this.

That's freaking hilarious. There was a news item here in Southern California the other day a persons security cam caught a UPs driver or maybe FedEx just throwing someones packages over a fence. This tops that.  

Dec 20, 2016 at 2:21 PM Post #15,523 of 75,149

The original TY32 needed tons of burn in for me, I remember that the first impact was horrible. Thin-speaker like sound

Thanks for the tip Nachash. I'm going to be evaluating these with fresh ears today, and AB-ing them with the Monk+ and Edifier H180. I've read quite a few posts saying you have to "burn in" your buds, and quite a few saying it's nonsense. If it helped you with the TY32's then maybe I'll give it a shot. did you run music through them for a day or so? Or test tones, noise?

Dec 20, 2016 at 3:47 PM Post #15,525 of 75,149

Thanks for the tip Nachash. I'm going to be evaluating these with fresh ears today, and AB-ing them with the Monk+ and Edifier H180. I've read quite a few posts saying you have to "burn in" your buds, and quite a few saying it's nonsense. If it helped you with the TY32's then maybe I'll give it a shot. did you run music through them for a day or so? Or test tones, noise?

Music, but they really needed a lot of burn in... after two straight days they didn't changed that much.
Also, remember to use the thin Monk foams

Users who are viewing this thread

Back