Earbuds Round-Up
Apr 16, 2016 at 7:59 PM Post #4,008 of 75,148
Thanks ClieOS for updating again today your list!!

My current favourite earbud is Edifier H185 (with bass boosted) if I would like to improve it (mainly to bet better bass while keeping their highs), what would you recommend, Ostry KC08 or Music Maker Tomahawk (or anything else)? Soundstage is not quite important for me and I like V shaped sound to hear mostly uplifting trance and quick techno music.

If I may, the $10 Fiio EM3 earbud works for smaller ears, such as I have. This is a really fine bud with very good soundstage, mids not too forward, good bass and decent treble. They are easy to drive, too...no amp needed. I am finishing my review of them against the Monk, etc and have to say it is really close between the two. The Fiio's fit my ear better, too. Really nice bud, especially for $10.

Apr 16, 2016 at 8:49 PM Post #4,009 of 75,148

I think the Monk is where it belongs, but the Rose Mojito being placed in with the champions is a little contentious. I feel it's too narrowly focused to compare it overall against those other three. Still, not my call.

Have you heard it? There isn't really anything except ClieOS' short-ish review on them. I've been waiting on mine in the mail for a super long time, and the only other person I know of who's ordered them hasn't received theirs yet either. I hope it's a champion for what I paid for it!

Apr 16, 2016 at 9:57 PM Post #4,010 of 75,148

Have you heard it? There isn't really anything except ClieOS' short-ish review on them. I've been waiting on mine in the mail for a super long time, and the only other person I know of who's ordered them hasn't received theirs yet either. I hope it's a champion for what I paid for it!

lol, I hope it is too. I don't own one, I was going off ClieOS' comment,"Mojito, while excellent on many levels, only truly excels in music that required a big soundstage and doesn't need any emphasis on the mid range."
Sort of lost interest after that. BloodyPenguin had a pair, but haven't seen his review up yet.

Apr 16, 2016 at 10:38 PM Post #4,012 of 75,148
But why the champions is alway the ultra-rare? TM7 is already lost in any audio-shop. Zen 1 & Mx985 is discontinued, even if there's still limited stock in the market, the price raised terrifically.
And rose mojito, a very limited product that will discontinued soon and very expensive.
Damn! Gladly already have 1 of it -_-

Apr 17, 2016 at 12:03 AM Post #4,013 of 75,148
And one important think I forgot to ask: buds size, I have small ears and while Edifier are ok (but still not as confy as Yuin buds), VE buds don't suit my ears... If I'm not wrong, I read before that KC08 are on the big side, while Tomahawk are smaller, how much different in size are they?

The KC08 use 16mm drivers, so they are quite big, actually, and that's another good reason to avoid them if you want the best fit.

Apr 17, 2016 at 3:36 AM Post #4,015 of 75,148

I think the Monk is where it belongs, but the Rose Mojito being placed in with the champions is a little contentious. I feel it's too narrowly focused to compare it overall against those other three. Still, not my call.

lol, I hope it is too. I don't own one, I was going off ClieOS' comment,"Mojito, while excellent on many levels, only truly excels in music that required a big soundstage and doesn't need any emphasis on the mid range."
Sort of lost interest after that. BloodyPenguin had a pair, but haven't seen his review up yet.

The decision to put any earbuds into the champions category must meet two conditions: First, no obvious flaw. Not excelling in a particular music genre is not considered a flaw, as I don't think there is one such headphone that can excel in every music genre. When it comes to flaw, I mean things like graininess, over-thickness, dull / veil,  muddiness, echo-ish / over-reverberation, roll-off, overpowering, etc. Secondly, it must also excel above and beyond in certain area(s). MX985 for its overall balance in all aspects, TM7 for its lifelike presentation, Zen 1 for its Bass and PRaT and Mojito for its neutralness and soundstage. The two factors combined is what make an earbuds sounds 'special' to me - as it puts a smile on my face and goosebump on my back during listening. This is also where Shozy Cygnus comes just slightly short. While it has almost no flaw to speak of, it doesn't really excel in any particular area as well. That's why it misses out on the champions category. Of course, at the end of the days, it is still just one man's opinion.

Apr 17, 2016 at 3:42 AM Post #4,016 of 75,148
If I may, the $10 Fiio EM3 earbud works for smaller ears, such as I have. This is a really fine bud with very good soundstage, mids not too forward, good bass and decent treble. They are easy to drive, too...no amp needed. I am finishing my review of them against the Monk, etc and have to say it is really close between the two. The Fiio's fit my ear better, too. Really nice bud, especially for $10.

Thanks for this other option, but if it's similar to Monks then I don't know if they would fit my tastes as I find Monks too mid centric.

The KC08 use 16mm drivers, so they are quite big, actually, and that's another good reason to avoid them if you want the best fit.

Then I'll start with Tomahawk, they are lot cheaper and I've usually had problems with big buds, so even if Ostry have done something that made them more confy, spending 90€ on something that I potentially could not use it's too risky.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back