Earbuds Round-Up
Apr 1, 2016 at 4:30 PM Post #3,542 of 75,283

Yes, I prefer the sound of Tomahawks over my current E100´s. Also Monk over E100. But E100 are almost perfect fit for my ears, that´s where they excel. Nowdays I prefer to run earbuds behind my earlobes, bear in mind. I´ve actually had couple of E100´s i think the previous ones where little better sounding but since they broke and I had to order new ones I´ve forgotten what the signature was exactly like and can´t do comparison. Shame.

Thanks, mate! Yes, I have the similar impression my old pair the "bell housing" is a little bigger and sound more refined I bought a new pair some weeks ago and I noted the housing is a bit smaller and sound has a bit less extension on extremes too. Now I'm more hyped and anxious for check how the Tomahawk's sounds!

Apr 1, 2016 at 4:38 PM Post #3,543 of 75,283

Thanks, mate! Yes, I have the similar impression my old pair the "bell housing" is a little bigger and sound more refined I bought a new pair some weeks ago and I noted the housing is a bit smaller and sound has a bit less extension on extremes too. Now I'm more hyped and anxious for check how the Tomahawk's sounds!

Think of Tomahawks as a refining the sound you already get, so maybe not the best bang for buck, but for the price still great product. Also sexy as f.

Apr 1, 2016 at 6:07 PM Post #3,544 of 75,283
http://www.head-fi.org/t/783669/venture-electronics-ve-monk-a-5-earbud-that-seriously-deserves-a-place-here/2460#post_12465636

I don´t want to derail that thread, especially since everyone is just waiting for Monk+.

I´ve dwelled deeper into Tomahawks. I finally found good fit and also ran these with Gustard H10 (and not my portable setup Oppo Find 7A, or Sansa Clip Sport (and or XDuoo XQ10). Better fit + better source finally scaled these bad boys up to expectations. It´s funny because with Monk I can be almost careless with the fit since loose fit just makes the sound pleasantly airier but with Tomahawks if the fit is slightly off the sound kinda falls apart in a not very noticeable way - little cut from the bottom frequencies makes these earbuds really fatiguing. I can also run Monks with just about every source and they sound listenable, I guess not so much with the Tomahawks at least with my limited experience.

But I´m happy to report that Tomahawks have earned "Monk 1.5" status for me and thats good enough sound for the price for sure. These are just my humble impressions, feel free to ask for more detailed earbud comparisons (Currently own Tomahawk/Monk/Mrice E100/Edifier H180)

I have the same earbuds the Tomahawk is on its way (hopefully soon) plus i also have the Blox BE3.
What's your favorite of these earbuds?
For my part i like the Edifier's clarity and low end,the Monk's mid and the organic sound of the Blox. I am kind of hoping the Tomahawk will be the jack-of-all-trade.

Apr 1, 2016 at 8:44 PM Post #3,545 of 75,283
  http://www.head-fi.org/t/783669/venture-electronics-ve-monk-a-5-earbud-that-seriously-deserves-a-place-here/2460#post_12465636

I don´t want to derail that thread, especially since everyone is just waiting for Monk+.

I´ve dwelled deeper into Tomahawks. I finally found good fit and also ran these with Gustard H10 (and not my portable setup Oppo Find 7A, or Sansa Clip Sport (and or XDuoo XQ10). Better fit + better source finally scaled these bad boys up to expectations. It´s funny because with Monk I can be almost careless with the fit since loose fit just makes the sound pleasantly airier but with Tomahawks if the fit is slightly off the sound kinda falls apart in a not very noticeable way - little cut from the bottom frequencies makes these earbuds really fatiguing. I can also run Monks with just about every source and they sound listenable, I guess not so much with the Tomahawks at least with my limited experience.

But I´m happy to report that Tomahawks have earned "Monk 1.5" status for me and thats good enough sound for the price for sure. These are just my humble impressions, feel free to ask for more detailed earbud comparisons (Currently own Tomahawk/Monk/Mrice E100/Edifier H180)

So the Tomahawks should cost $7.5 ? 
tongue.gif

LOL just messing with you. I've also bought the tomahawk but didn't arrive yet. Soo anxious!

Apr 1, 2016 at 9:59 PM Post #3,549 of 75,283
how is live and rose compare to cygnus.. just want to hear the king impression..
Rose mojito.. is it worth it.. it priced around mx985 with these day price..

Live and Mojito are both on the colder, more analytical sounding side. I don't hear the same on Cygnus as it is more on the usual warm sounding side. That means Cygnus is better for mainstream music while Live and Mojito will always be better to a more selective listener.

I'll still pay full price (which I did) for the Mojito, because it does classical like no other and I enjoy it deeply. That being said (and I have said it a few times now), it is not for everyone and every music genre. It is way too analytical and thus it isn't particularly musical, it is way too revealing and thus old recording sounds just awful. It has too wide a soundstage so vocal isn't particularly intimate - absolutely great if you are an analytical listener, only listen to good recording and partial to instrumental, classical, or new age and that alike. Otherwise, I don't see it as much of a versatile choice if your taste of music varies quite a bit. Like I said before, it is the earbuds' equivalence of Etymotic ER4 - you either like it or you don't.

@ClieOS how's the Gramo One and the cygnus?

Really good, but not beyond TM7, Zen 1 or MX985.

I'm only missing the Rose Mojito. Got a pair of Cygnus on the way. Is that a pair of MX980 or 985?

MX985

Apr 1, 2016 at 10:47 PM Post #3,550 of 75,283

TE1.jpg

Life's good.

Oh my god! Is this the new "Champions" category picture?! 
How many times larger would the soundstage of the rose be compared to dualdrivers?
how is live and rose compare to cygnus.. just want to hear the king impression..
Rose mojito.. is it worth it.. it priced around mx985 with these day price..

what is live earbud? Hi-sound live?

Apr 1, 2016 at 10:55 PM Post #3,551 of 75,283
I've ramped up my earbud acquisitions to find one that I can use as my daily driver. Recently I got the VE Asura 2.0 and it was a bit underwhelming coming from the VE Zen 2.0 and MX985. I was hoping for a more full sound instead got a bit thin and harsh overall signature. It's very good though in terms of detail and crushes the Monks in resolution, don't get me wrong. But with all due respect ClieOS, I would not compare these to the Zen 2.0 or rank them so closely together. I don't know what you heard that I am missing...they are good earbuds for sure, but they are not MX985 good or perform close to an amped Zen 2.0. 

Oh well, search continues to find the best portable earbud.

Apr 1, 2016 at 11:01 PM Post #3,552 of 75,283

Oh my god! Is this the new "Champions" category picture?! 
How many times larger would the soundstage of the rose be compared to dualdrivers?

No, it is not the new Champions portrait. I haven't spent nearly enough time on Gramo One or Cygnus to make any decision on them yet.

DIY Dual driver's soundstage is big for an earbud, but Mojito's soundstage is big like a full size.

Quote:
  I've ramped up my earbud acquisitions to find one that I can use as my daily driver. Recently I got the VE Asura 2.0 and it was a bit underwhelming coming from the VE Zen 2.0 and MX985. I was hoping for a more full sound instead got a bit thin and harsh overall signature. It's very good though in terms of detail and crushes the Monks in resolution, don't get me wrong. But with all due respect ClieOS, I would not compare these to the Zen 2.0 or rank them so closely together. I don't know what you heard that I am missing...they are good earbuds for sure, but they are not MX985 good or perform close to an amped Zen 2.0. 

Oh well, search continues to find the best portable earbud.

Err... I haven't actually ranked Asura 2.0 or even Zen 2.0?

Apr 1, 2016 at 11:23 PM Post #3,554 of 75,283
  I'm sorry, my mistake. I didn't see the (beta) part on your Asura ranking. But you should really do a 2.0 ranking now that you're building your collection. 

I guess as much
biggrin.gif
. Just note that the original Zen and Asura (beta as well the official but short-lived Asura 1.0) are pretty much different beasts when compared to Zen 2 and Asura 2 as VE changes their OEM as well as the sound signature between the generation.

Apr 1, 2016 at 11:28 PM Post #3,555 of 75,283

I guess as much
biggrin.gif
. Just note that the original Zen and Asura (beta as well the official but short-lived Asura 1.0) are pretty much different beasts when compared to Zen 2 and Asura 2 as VE changes their OEM as well as the sound signature between the generation.

Yes, I figured as much, that's why I took back my comment. I am still trying very hard to find a more refined version of the VE Monk. I really like the Monk sound signature but it is quite grainy and the resolution is poor compared to top line earbuds (but still amazing value for $5). I still would have ranked it higher than "the good" category you said you'd put them in. They have some resolution problems. If I could just find a VE Monk signature earbud but with better bass resolution and complete black background/no grain my earbud search would be completely over! 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back