Earbuds Round-Up
Mar 29, 2016 at 11:33 PM Post #3,451 of 75,272
I have mine, what's the question?

1. Is the cable stiff?

2. Do you have any other earbuds like Tomahawk, Monk, Asura, Zen, etc.... just curious how it compares in terms of brightness/warmth.

Cable is soft and beautiful right now.

It's more of a tie between the asura and Cygnus. It's not in the zen league. With the Cygnus is more of a all arounder bc I can play with foams and change to the sig I want also it's not dependent on an amp also. The asura without foams is amazing but I don't think it does well on my iPhone or when I put foams on it. If I had to choose between the Cygnus or asura I would choose Cygnus. On the other hand if I didn't have the zen I would save up and skip both asura and Cygnus and just get the zen if I had a solid potable rig.

Ps Cygnus has smaller ear peices so with foam it fits really comfortable unlike the VE buds.

I would highly recommend the Cygnus to anyone it's a limited edition and it a great part of my collection.

Edit:

I have monk asura 2 zen 2 Cygnus

asura does better with mids and highs but bc I can't use foams on it the bottom is lost.

Mar 30, 2016 at 2:08 AM Post #3,452 of 75,272
I can throw in my 2 pennies worth on the Cygnus. I've had mine for the past couple of days and I'm really diggin the sound. It's very balanced with a smooth upper end that's not too rolled off, and wonderful mids. Vocals are just beautiful, with almost no sibilance whatsoever. So sound signature wise, I'd slot it in between my OMX980 and Zen 1/Zen 2. Not as bright or thin as the OMX980 and not as thick or warm as the VE buds.

It's not as technically competent as either of my MX980/Zen 1/Zen 2 but it's also not that far behind, which is understandable for the price.

Bass - rolls off just a bit too early. Similar extension to the Zen 2 and OMX980 but not quite as good quality wise. No comparison at all to the Zen 1, which has the best bass I've heard in an earbud by far.
Mids - the star of the show. Makes the OMX980 mids sound thin and the Zen 2 sound veiled. However, the quality still lacks compared to the other three buds. I'd say it's close to the OMX980, but a good bit behind the Zen 1/2.
Highs - just slightly rolled off and not as sparkly as the MX980. But moreso than the Zen's. The quantity is perfect to me but again, highs are still better on the other earbuds.
Soundstage/separation - the weakest point IMO. Soundstage feels very squashed and 2 dimensional. MX980, Zen 1, Zen 2 all have more depth and width. Also noticeably worse/fuzzier instrument separation than the other three, especially compared to the Zen 2. AudioNewbi3 and whoever else said it were bang on. I wouldn't pick up the Cygnus for live/acoustic kinda music.

In summary: I think the Cygnus is a fantastic value for the price. I'm certainly enjoying it more than my MX980, and just as much as my Zen 1/2 (at least for now with new toy syndrome 
redface.gif
). Build quality is solid and I'm really happy to see it in the smaller Yuin shell, which I find extremely comfortable. Only problem is that the accessories are terrible! Especially the included doughnut foams, which drive the bass off a cliff. Swap them out to full foams (I like the Zen 2's) asap.

Mar 30, 2016 at 2:14 AM Post #3,453 of 75,272
  I can throw in my 2 pennies worth on the Cygnus. I've had mine for the past couple of days and I'm really diggin the sound. It's very balanced with a smooth upper end that's not too rolled off, and wonderful mids. Vocals are just beautiful, with almost no sibilance whatsoever. So sound signature wise, I'd slot it in between my OMX980 and Zen 1/Zen 2. Not as bright or thin as the OMX980 and not as thick or warm as the VE buds.

It's not as technically competent as either of my MX980/Zen 1/Zen 2 but it's also not that far behind, which is understandable for the price.

Bass - rolls off just a bit too early. Similar extension to the Zen 2 and OMX980 but not quite as good quality wise. No comparison at all to the Zen 1, which has the best bass I've heard in an earbud by far.
Mids - the star of the show. Makes the OMX980 mids sound thin and the Zen 2 sound veiled. However, the quality still lacks compared to the other three buds. I'd say it's close to the OMX980, but a good bit behind the Zen 1/2.
Highs - just slightly rolled off and not as sparkly as the MX980. But moreso than the Zen's. The quantity is perfect to me but again, highs are still better on the other earbuds.
Soundstage/separation - the weakest point IMO. Soundstage feels very squashed and 2 dimensional. MX980, Zen 1, Zen 2 all have more depth and width. Also noticeably worse/fuzzier instrument separation than the other three, especially compared to the Zen 2. AudioNewbi3 and whoever else said it were bang on. I wouldn't pick up the Cygnus for live/acoustic kinda music.

In summary: I think the Cygnus is a fantastic value for the price. I'm certainly enjoying it more than my MX980, and just as much as my Zen 1/2 (at least for now with new toy syndrome 
redface.gif
). Build quality is solid and I'm really happy to see it in the smaller Yuin shell, which I find extremely comfortable. Only problem is that the accessories are terrible! Especially the included doughnut foams, which drive the bass off a cliff. Swap them out to full foams (I like the Zen 2's) asap.

Very nicely explained :) You can be a good writer.
I am waiting for my Hiegi Foams, let see how cygnus performs with those foams, i feel the foam type and quality decides almost 30% of SQ of any earphone :)

Mar 30, 2016 at 2:35 AM Post #3,455 of 75,272

redface.gif

Do you use full foams with your Cygnus?

Currently I am in love with hole foams!

Mar 30, 2016 at 5:05 AM Post #3,458 of 75,272

Anyone got a zen 1 forsale?

how much you willing to pay?

JK I'm never parting with mine, will have to grab it from my cold dead hands lol. :p  

Keep an eye on the F/S, they pop up time to time.

Ouch! lol

yeah ive been looking but I have had no luck :frowning2:

Mar 30, 2016 at 6:07 AM Post #3,459 of 75,272
I´ve got a pair of Cygnus on the way too... now the wait begins...

Mar 30, 2016 at 7:53 AM Post #3,462 of 75,272
  I cant decide between DK-JIN, MrZ Tomahawk and Shozy Cygnus.
MrZ Tomahawk is really cheap right now on aliexpres, probably is the best bang for buck.

I haven't heard the DK, but I am a big fan of both the Tomahawk and the Cygnus. I prefer the Cygnus, but that is really just a personal preference. With the same, the Tomahawk is probably the better value out of the two. 

Mar 30, 2016 at 11:23 AM Post #3,463 of 75,272
I haven't heard the DK, but I am a big fan of both the Tomahawk and the Cygnus. I prefer the Cygnus, but that is really just a personal preference. With the same, the Tomahawk is probably the better value out of the two. 

Do you amp? I find I actually prefer tomahawk directly from my DAP MORE than amped which I can not say for any of my other headphones.

I'm curious if the cygnus scales up with better amps like the VE buds or if they're pretty similar thru anything like tomahawk.

Mar 30, 2016 at 12:00 PM Post #3,464 of 75,272
  Do you use full foams with your Cygnus?

Currently I am in love with hole foams!

yep, using the Zen 2.0 full foams. Doughnut foams are alright but they don't give the same bass extension as the thick full foams.

@vapman the Cygnus is incredibly efficient so I doubt it. So efficient I can barely use them with my desktop DAC/amps even on low gain. Gotta turn the pots all the way down, possibly into channel imbalance range.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back