Earbuds Round-Up
Nov 16, 2016 at 1:19 PM Post #14,192 of 75,150
1MORE EO320 arrived today.

The best thing: the tuning has improved immensely from the EO303 model: The person responsible for the EO303 tuning must most definitely be tone def or at least only able to hear mid frequency. Thankfully you can't hear any resemblance between the two models.

First I tried my usual test tracks with the EO320 on my iPhone. I was impressed by the detailed sub bass, but the over all sound felt quite congested. Amped them via my X3ii/K5 combo from my HTPC. The mids and highs opened up quite a lot, but I felt the sound lacked airiness and detail. Remembered that the EO320 bass was previously discussed in comparison to the K500 in this thread.
So, silly me, put the K500 in my ears a couple of hours ago and now I can't force myself to take them out to try the EO320 any more today. The EO320 are definitely bassier, and the sub bass probably extends a bit further than on the K500. In fact it feels like the EO320 have little sub woofers built in.
But what makes K500 such wonderful buds is that the bass is so punchy, detailed and accurate without forcing it self on over the mids and highs. Still, by far the best quality bass I've heard in ear buds. I would recommend the EO320 to those that prefer bass quantity over bass quality.

I'd say there is a good reason why @ClieOS put the K500 among the Champions and the EO320 in the Great, while I think the totally messed up sound signature of the EO303 ought to place them in a new category called the Unlistenables.

Nov 16, 2016 at 2:21 PM Post #14,193 of 75,150
  1MORE EO320 arrived today.

The best thing: the tuning has improved immensely from the EO303 model: The person responsible for the EO303 tuning must most definitely be tone def or at least only able to hear mid frequency. Thankfully you can't hear any resemblance between the two models.

Ha, Tone Def Tuner!  I want that job! 

--

Nov 16, 2016 at 4:21 PM Post #14,196 of 75,150
@BloodyPenguin all that position requires for filling is a power drill and a gung ho attitude :joy:

Fine print probably includes certification in using a large hammer and  aptitude and ability to fit square things in round openings

I'm starting to think I am missing my true calling.  
ksc75smile.gif

--

Nov 16, 2016 at 4:55 PM Post #14,198 of 75,150
What about this manufacturer? How good his buds are? I noticed that his top earbud is 1,5kTHB, which is not a lot, but I guess you can add options and the price rises up.

I only have their cheap bud that costed $19 but still was custom made and I could choose from several options. Its sound is rather bright but balanced with pretty shy bass. I think for $19 you can find better buds elsewhere. But one day I would like to try their flagship.

Nov 16, 2016 at 9:52 PM Post #14,199 of 75,150
Talks about 1MORE - this just arrived an hour ago:

First impression: a small upgrade over EO320, but not by a lot. I'll say it is probably still in the scope of 'Great'. Sound signature is closer to that of EO303, rather than EO320 - that it has a warmer, thicker and smoother presentation., but at least it doesn't feel veil like EO303. Overall I feel quite positive about the new E1008, but it is not the Champion/Contender level earbud I was hoping for. Will burn it in and see how it goes.

Nov 16, 2016 at 9:59 PM Post #14,200 of 75,150

I've not done any objective measurements, but I feel like the lower mids/higher bass is quite recessed. That's not really my problem with the earbuds though but it does give them a very definite V shaped sound signature, but I feel the V shape sound has its place in everyone's collection. I have two problems with the Rose Masya: fit and piercing highs. I suspect that I'm more sensitive to highs than most though. In any case, one can roll off and smooth the highs over with some EQ if you're one of those folks who doesn't mind using it (I'm not one of those guys).

The fit is.. weird. They always feel like they are going to fall out of my ears. I'd use the earbud wings to keep them in place better but I have to remove the foams in order to use them. Using the Masya without foams brings to mind using a dentist drill to my eardrums - never heard highs THAT piercing before. I'm trying to figure out a way to keep the foams on AND use the silicone wings! No luck so far. If anyone knows how to do that, please let me know. :D

You made me sad 
frown.gif
.  Now im not looking forward as much to my masya delivery.   I am sensitive to high frequencies... and missing mid bass *cries*....  Why cant anyone make good crossovers for multi driver earbuds/iems ?   I guess its back to the drawing board, maybe stardust would be a better all rounder then the masya then ? 

Nov 16, 2016 at 10:59 PM Post #14,201 of 75,150

You made me sad 
frown.gif
.  Now im not looking forward as much to my masya delivery.   I am sensitive to high frequencies... and missing mid bass *cries*....  Why cant anyone make good crossovers for multi driver earbuds/iems ?   I guess its back to the drawing board, maybe stardust would be a better all rounder then the masya then ? 

I am avoiding all hybrid/ multi driver models, it just doesn't work IMO (well, JVC got it right with the SZ line... but those are full size headphones using a 55mm driver as a subwoofer...)

I ran out of cable (that fits in earbud shells) and need to order more
frown.gif

Nov 16, 2016 at 11:27 PM Post #14,203 of 75,150
  Hi vapman, so far which DIY earbud mod you have best result? Will the type of cable you use change the sound at all besides the look? Do you use the cable with different impedance to get your ideal signature?

•     
  •     
  • Qian39
  • K's 64 ohm
  • Edifier H180

The top two spaces are blank because my three SHE3800 show up tomorrow and I don't know if they'll be life changing good. I am also doing my own messing with the H180 driver, but I find Qian and K's drivers to be the most promising to work with. And the other space is blank because I want to finish perfecting it before I show it off... still tearing it to mess with every day. But it's fully DIY...

Traditionally I always love the sound of pure, oxygen free copper, but do like silver when it doesn't impact the bass response of the driver negatively, which is often the case, at least with full size headphones, but i've found some unexpected results working with silver cable so far. For instance, silver cable on the Qian39 driver. The bass power is not lessened but rather moved to clarity than power. So the cable is definitely a big factor when I am working with earbuds, in my experience. working with the Koss cable made me realize higher impedance cables can change the sound quality a lot too.

Before anyone asks, I don't mod the Monk! they are perfect as is.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 17, 2016 at 12:34 AM Post #14,204 of 75,150
Hehehe. Red Qian25 is in at Mistertao. Listening to my blue one now and it's very nice.
For under $4.50 I get the best color of Qian25 and a zip up case too. I might just stop using aliexpress...
biggrin.gif

of course i'll have to pay the shipping fee from them to me once the Vido (the straggler) gets in, and then it can be shipped off to me...

Nov 17, 2016 at 2:15 AM Post #14,205 of 75,150
  Talks about 1MORE - this just arrived an hour ago:

First impression: a small upgrade over EO320, but not by a lot. I'll say it is probably still in the scope of 'Great'. Sound signature is closer to that of EO303, rather than EO320 - that it has a warmer, thicker and smoother presentation., but at least it doesn't feel veil like EO303. Overall I feel quite positive about the new E1008, but it is not the Champion/Contender level earbud I was hoping for. Will burn it in and see how it goes.

bummer... 
BTW, I see you have PT15 in your possession for a while, which category would you put them into? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back