Earbuds Round-Up
Oct 30, 2016 at 3:05 PM Post #13,232 of 75,272
Not using them directly out of my S7 Edge, but through my E18k DAC/amp. They are way too quiet directly out of my phone. I think these are the hardest headphones to drive that I own, including my full-sized collection.

I have an E18 and it does not have a very powerful output at all. In fact since getting my V10 I have never used it except as a USB sound card all-in-one for laptops with terrible integrated audio. Are you using high gain on your E18? If not I would definitely suggest using high gain mode...

The TY 650 is going to sound a lot more neutral and uncolored compared to most all other buds and especially other TY's. You are probably going to EQ it for a more fun sound. The 320 has a more energetic sound close to the 150, but lacks bass depth and has some upper mids coloration IMO.

Oct 30, 2016 at 3:20 PM Post #13,233 of 75,272

I have an E18 and it does not have a very powerful output at all. In fact since getting my V10 I have never used it except as a USB sound card all-in-one for laptops with terrible integrated audio. Are you using high gain on your E18? If not I would definitely suggest using high gain mode...

The TY 650 is going to sound a lot more neutral and uncolored compared to most all other buds and especially other TY's. You are probably going to EQ it for a more fun sound. The 320 has a more energetic sound close to the 150, but lacks bass depth and has some upper mids coloration IMO.

My E18 can get way more loud than I would ever want with these TY 150ohms; my phone can get loud enough as long as the source material is loud, but it's far too soft for any of my podcasts/audiobooks and older albums, which are simply recorded at lower levels. I find I don't have to even go past the halfway point with my E18 in low-gain mode, on music.

Neutral isn't bad! I'm fine with that, as long as they don't have gaping holes in their frequency response like I feel my Masya does. I'll continue my research but won't rule out the HP-650.

Oct 30, 2016 at 3:24 PM Post #13,234 of 75,272
My E18 can get way more loud than I would ever want with these TY 150ohms; my phone can get loud enough as long as the source material is loud, but it's far too soft for any of my podcasts/audiobooks and older albums, which are simply recorded at lower levels. I find I don't have to even go past the halfway point with my E18 in low-gain mode, on music.

Neutral isn't bad! I'm fine with that, as long as they don't have gaping holes in their frequency response like I feel my Masya does. I'll continue my research but won't rule out the HP-650.

Your e18 should do the 650s just as easilt as the 150s. Its the middle ones that are harder to drive.

Oct 30, 2016 at 4:51 PM Post #13,235 of 75,272
MusicMaker TKY2 w/ foams (when I can get them to stay on) turning out very nicely for vocals (particularly female) so far, though still finding the treble (I think) timbre (if that's the right word) a bit odd/difficult to acclimatize to (have noticed overdriven/distorted guitars sound rather off, almost clipped on a few tracks).

Wouldn't mind more bass but I think that's more a matter of them not sitting in my ears quite right, because it does seem decently extended when I hold them in position (though doing it too much muffles the mids a little). They seem to take some EQ decently too.

So agree w/ other commenter Thomasz so far, not a great all-rounder but with some music very nice indeed.

Oct 30, 2016 at 5:28 PM Post #13,236 of 75,272
MusicMaker TKY2 w/ foams (when I can get them to stay on) turning out very nicely for vocals (particularly female) so far, though still finding the treble (I think) timbre (if that's the right word) a bit odd/difficult to acclimatize to (have noticed overdriven/distorted guitars sound rather off on a few tracks).

Wouldn't mind more bass but I think that's more a matter of them not sitting in my ears quite right, because it does seem decently extended when I hold them in position (though doing it too much muffles the mids a little). They seem to take some EQ decently too.

So agree w/ other commenter Thomasz so far, not a great all-rounder but with some music very nice indeed.

If TKY2 are similar to MusicMaker Ting and you have a spare pair of rubber rings with big fins from the Monk+ Ex pack you can cut off the fins with a scissor and then put the rubber rings on the TKY2 and then foams. Perhaps it will make them too big for your ears but the foams will definitely not move anymore...

Oct 31, 2016 at 12:07 AM Post #13,237 of 75,272
just got the "audio-technica c770" (was hoping it was the hp650 instead) right out of the box, I can tell that they have a channel imbalance, as the right earbud is louder than the left making the sound seem off center, even compared it to my Cygnus that I had on the desk from yesterday night and its pretty obvious, I suppose I can donate it to the local charity/thirft shop

it came in a small zip lock bag, with a sticker on top

Ear Headset

A104

CRESYN/SGEY0003721

edit* looking up SGEY0003721 shows an earbud by lg here

Oct 31, 2016 at 12:12 AM Post #13,238 of 75,272
just got the "audio-technica c770" (was hoping it was the hp650 instead) right out of the box, I can tell that they have a channel imbalance, as the right earbud is louder than the left making the sound seem off center, even compared it to my Cygnus that I had on the desk from yesterday night and its pretty obvious, I suppose I can donate it to the local charity/thirft shop

it came in a small zip lock bag, with a sticker on top

edit* looking up SGEY0003721 shows an earbud by lg here
lol

Oct 31, 2016 at 12:32 AM Post #13,239 of 75,272
  So the more I listen to the TY Hi-Z 150ohms, the more I like it... how do the TY HP-650 and the Hi-Z 320ohms stack up to it? If they are of a similar sound signature, just more detail and sound stage, then that might be just the thing for me.

not sure about 150 or 650, but I have ty 320. if you like TY then 320 is a step up in refinement.
BUT, if you want better focus ie hear things effortlessly (you mention "lots of people talking" things) then you might want to consider Toneking / MrZ Tomahawak or Ting. I don't own Ting but with Tomahawk it passed the Chesky's "Counting" track in You're Surrounded album. you can track who's who / where and who's not counting properly or making gibberish sound. 

with metal or fast track tomahawk will be more effortless than my TY320. 320 has very very good bass and energetic tone but sometimes the bigger bass or intense attack will overpower some frequency. Tomahawk have slightly less bass and don't reach lower or tighter as TY but to my ear they're adequate and in some way fuller than monk+. the highs also not very clean but not splashy either. the faster or busier the track the more I'm in awe with Tomahawk. and it's just 32ohm, perfectly fine with most portables.

However you might consider some of it's shortcomings. in my case: thicker shell. not much fit but YMMV. cable stiff (maybe just my version). sound might be too forward. You can hear effortlessly but you also might confuse about the headstage, but in my case that's the way it is.

ignore the stage and just pick any instrument you want to hear, rewind and you can pick another instrument to focus, if thats your thing :D

just IMHO

edit

after writing this, just for sanity check, I pull out my tomahawk, put VE foams and listen to SOAD, Mars Volta and Arctic Monkey.. superb.  what I write above, stands.

Oct 31, 2016 at 3:13 AM Post #13,240 of 75,272
Hi Golov, I know that you collect most of the earbuds, I have listened to the ERQU EQ320 more now and really think the sound is very good. Will you get one to try it out and see if I am just mess up in my head, I really value your input. I am thinking getting a second one on 11/11.

Oct 31, 2016 at 5:28 AM Post #13,241 of 75,272
  I have reported it to both of Penaudio's email adds, here is what I got back:

Dear friend,
Good day!
we are on vacation for Chinese new year.
If there're any product problems and shipping issues of the item ,please email to us .
we'll attend to your mail and resolve for you after coming back from holidays immediately.
your understanding will be highly appreciated.
best wishes to you!

Hi, dear friend:
we are glad to hear from you , but we are sorry that we are having weekends now ,so all the orders during this period will be shipped out on Oct 31th,  all the emails will be replied on Oct 31th.
If you have any questions ,pls just feel free to contact us , we will reply you ASAP once we go back to the office . 
Your understanding will be much appreciated .
best regards.

Looks like we will have to wait till next week.

Further update just received:

hi dear friend
thanks for your email , and we are sorry for any inconvenience caused you , due to our website just complete the upgarde , so there is something issue with it , but pls do not worry , we are recovering it now , it will be resloved very soon .
we are sorry for this issue again .
best regards

Oct 31, 2016 at 5:55 AM Post #13,242 of 75,272
Hi Golov, I know that you collect most of the earbuds, I have listened to the ERQU EQ320 more now and really think the sound is very good. Will you get one to try it out and see if I am just mess up in my head, I really value your input. I am thinking getting a second one on 11/11.
The main thing that you liked it..:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Oct 31, 2016 at 9:31 AM Post #13,243 of 75,272
  not sure about 150 or 650, but I have ty 320. if you like TY then 320 is a step up in refinement.
BUT, if you want better focus ie hear things effortlessly (you mention "lots of people talking" things) then you might want to consider Toneking / MrZ Tomahawak or Ting. I don't own Ting but with Tomahawk it passed the Chesky's "Counting" track in You're Surrounded album. you can track who's who / where and who's not counting properly or making gibberish sound. 

with metal or fast track tomahawk will be more effortless than my TY320. 320 has very very good bass and energetic tone but sometimes the bigger bass or intense attack will overpower some frequency. Tomahawk have slightly less bass and don't reach lower or tighter as TY but to my ear they're adequate and in some way fuller than monk+. the highs also not very clean but not splashy either. the faster or busier the track the more I'm in awe with Tomahawk. and it's just 32ohm, perfectly fine with most portables.

However you might consider some of it's shortcomings. in my case: thicker shell. not much fit but YMMV. cable stiff (maybe just my version). sound might be too forward. You can hear effortlessly but you also might confuse about the headstage, but in my case that's the way it is.

ignore the stage and just pick any instrument you want to hear, rewind and you can pick another instrument to focus, if thats your thing :D

just IMHO

edit

after writing this, just for sanity check, I pull out my tomahawk, put VE foams and listen to SOAD, Mars Volta and Arctic Monkey.. superb.  what I write above, stands.

Thanks! This sounds very promising.  The Mars Volta is exactly the kind stuff I had in mind when it comes to fast and complex rock music. I'm curious about how the Ting and TKY2 compare. They are all very reasonably priced, so I don't mind spending the amount for the TKY2 as long as it has the characteristics of the Tomahawk that I want, in addition to better refinement.

Off to do some more research on these and will definitely pick up at least one of them.

Oct 31, 2016 at 10:05 AM Post #13,244 of 75,272
  Thanks! This sounds very promising.  The Mars Volta is exactly the kind stuff I had in mind when it comes to fast and complex rock music. I'm curious about how the Ting and TKY2 compare. They are all very reasonably priced, so I don't mind spending the amount for the TKY2 as long as it has the characteristics of the Tomahawk that I want, in addition to better refinement.

Off to do some more research on these and will definitely pick up at least one of them.

I have the TKY2 in transit to me and I already own both Tings (Original Ting and Ting Light).  I hope to have the TKY2 any day now.  I will do my best to compare when I can.

--

Users who are viewing this thread

Back