Earbuds Round-Up
Nov 14, 2023 at 8:08 PM Post #72,496 of 75,861
Nice DIY cables you made there... seeing your picture reminded me I needed to find some small hook and loop cable straps to replace some my worn out straps that came with some earbuds. Located some 4 inch straps on Amazon, $7.50 for 50 straps.

1700009154360.jpeg
I usually store my cables this way:
I recommend plastic or leather alternative over Velcro loops honestly.
Screenshot_20230115_182611_Gallery.jpg

Nov 14, 2023 at 8:14 PM Post #72,497 of 75,861
Those are really cool collection! Any cable recommendations? I haven't bought anything past 30 USD I'm interested getting something more fancy

Nov 14, 2023 at 8:17 PM Post #72,498 of 75,861
I spy velco loops there... LOL. Leather / pleather straps with snaps are nice but are bulkier than the thin velco straps. I like the convenience of the thin velco straps.

Nov 14, 2023 at 8:21 PM Post #72,499 of 75,861
IMO, out of the handful of earbuds that FiiO released, the original FF3 design is one of the best and should not be overlooked, especially for $20 off retail. I have the silver set and have thought about getting a black set before they become unavailable.
OH! I totally forgot about the black ones... I have the silver ones as well. :) Good call. I may also have to get a black set before they go away.
Thanks for the recommendation. I actually find the ST20p with thr m5 body to be more refined, with better dymanic and slightly warmer. Is that closer to the RW3000/RW2000 then?

Do you mean M2s pro is more resolving than the st10s or even the RW3000?

And do you own or have you heard the DB1? I wonder how the treble is like compared to the above.
I don't know much about the ST20P at all, other than what others on here have said about them (I even skipped the ST20P drivers for the M4). It was way too boosted in the presence region for my ears. But is seems as though you are immune to that shouty type tuning. But, I CAN tell you that neither the RW2000 nor the RW3000 have the amount of ear gain that the ST20P have. I also can't comment on the M5 (in my case the M5 Golden), because Smabat doesn't seem to want to send mine... It was ordered on the 6th, and here it is 8 days later, and it is still showing "unprocessed".... LOL

Yes, I believe the M2s Pro with the SO driver or 32ohm Bio driver has more resolution than the ST10S, but not the RW3000.

Sorry, I don't own, nor have ever heard the DB1 to compare.

Are you looking for actual treble tuning, or are you looking for a set that has a boosted ear gain that might give perceived treble? If a boosted ear gain doesn't bother you, but you want lots of sub bass, you might try and get a hold of a set of Rose Technics Maria II. It is a dual DD earbud, and has the biggest staging out there, but for me, it is VERY niche because of that boosted ear gain. They have now been discontinued though, so might be a bit harder to get a set. There were two different diameters for different ear sizes sold (though both had the exact same size driver inside). The 15mm and 16mm. :)

20210811_151350.jpg

20210811_151147.jpg

20210811_152926.jpg

Nov 14, 2023 at 8:24 PM Post #72,500 of 75,861
I spy velco loops there... LOL. Leather / pleather straps with snaps are nice but are bulkier than the thin velco straps. I like the convenience of the thin velco straps.
Yes, those are velco loops, lol but this is an old photo in my phone and I don't use velcro anymore they just kept sticking to eaching other.
1700011421539.png

You may try to get some of these.

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2023 at 8:29 PM Post #72,501 of 75,861
Yeah! I’m glad they didn’t sell…phew 🥵

What!?! That is amazing!! Is it easy to take in and out?!
Yeah, I thought so too when they asked me to pick the ones I wanted.... :)

Not at all, of course depending on the size of the bud or IEM... My iBasso IT-07 or the Maria II are really tough to get in and out, but something like the FiiO FF3, or FF3, or Chancone are super simple. :)
I just use the handy dandy case the buds come in... For all those extra cables, I just use one of those Pelican cases to store them (I hate the Velcro type straps because they get in my way while wearing the cable and are otherwise a pain to put on/take off each time I would use it). For me this is ideal because some of the cheaper made cables can get rust spots due to impurities introduced in manufacturing, which sometimes actually causes some L/R balance issues (i.e. my Chaconne), and those Pelican cases are water proof.

Nov 14, 2023 at 8:33 PM Post #72,502 of 75,861
Those are really cool collection! Any cable recommendations? I haven't bought anything past 30 USD I'm interested getting something more fancy
Oh, these are the cables that I don't use anymore, lol. The only aftermarket cable I want to recommend is the Hakugei Healer but it's a bit bulky or else you will have to go with Effect Audio's 8W wires. (DIY is the way to go :stuck_out_tongue: , because you can buy yourself much better plugs)

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2023 at 8:39 PM Post #72,503 of 75,861
Been a long time since I've really been around here. Any recommendations for a budget bassy earbud? Difficulty to drive is no issue.
Besides the recc's already given, I would also recommend the PAC earbuds from Penon. They're $50, but can be gotten as a free gift if buying select earphone cables. You could buy this $34.00 cable and get the PAC earbuds for free. You have to register and be signed in at Penon, add the cable and PAC buds to the shopping cart. The PAC buds will show up as $0 in the shopping cart. Nice deal for some nice sounding bassy buds.

Nov 14, 2023 at 8:47 PM Post #72,504 of 75,861
Oh, these are the cables that I don't use anymore, lol. The only aftermarket cable I want to recommend is the Hakugei Healer but it's a bit bulky or else you will have to go with Effect Audio's 8W wires. (DIY is the way to go :stuck_out_tongue: , because you can buy yourself much better plugs)
Yeah, I saw your DIY cable thread! Amazing stuff! I haven't thought about making my own cables, but I'm considering it. The only cables I made were extension cords and plugs in HS lol.

It's a really good thing that you decided not to get rid of them then, huh? :wink:

In the meantime, isn't it really great when your work supports an audiophile's habit by buying specialty work shirts (especially designed for portable audio)?!

I no longer work here, but it was my last job for some many years or so.
20210717_222943_1.jpg
Looks comfy lol. I usually just wear my cables like a J-cable whenever I go out. I was thinking of getting myself one of those earphone holders and neck straps like Zeos use.

Nov 14, 2023 at 8:52 PM Post #72,505 of 75,861
I don't know much about the ST20P at all, other than what others on here have said about them (I even skipped the ST20P drivers for the M4). It was way too boosted in the presence region for my ears. But is seems as though you are immune to that shouty type tuning.
Actually no, lol. I find these Smabat to be very Genre specific and also I am able to tame the harshness a bit with some cables but it is still boosted too much. They sound good for some music genres such as the two clips I post but not suitable for others. And that's why I have only been listening to the same kind of music the last few weeks, lol.
But, I CAN tell you that neither the RW2000 nor the RW3000 have the amount of ear gain that the ST20P have. I also can't comment on the M5 (in my case the M5 Golden), because Smabat doesn't seem to want to send mine... It was ordered on the 6th, and here it is 8 days later, and it is still showing "unprocessed".... LOL
Lol did you make your purchase on their website? okay i guess the DB1 should be even less boosted compared to the RW2000/3000 then.
Yes, I believe the M2s Pro with the SO driver or 32ohm Bio driver has more resolution than the ST10S, but not the RW3000.

Sorry, I don't own, nor have ever heard the DB1 to compare.

Are you looking for actual treble tuning, or are you looking for a set that has a boosted ear gain that might give perceived treble? If a boosted ear gain doesn't bother you, but you want lots of sub bass, you might try and get a hold of a set of Rose Technics Maria II. It is a dual DD earbud, and has the biggest staging out there, but for me, it is VERY niche because of that boosted ear gain. They have now been discontinued though, so might be a bit harder to get a set. There were two different diameters for different ear sizes sold (though both had the exact same size driver inside). The 15mm and 16mm. :)
Actually I don't know as I have only heard these Smabats and quite a few old Sennheiser and Sony buds literally melted inside my drawers. But out of the sets (modules) I own I prefer the signature of the ST10s and ST20p. And since I don't use foams I think the perceived treble and bass should be less than people that use foams due to the loose fit but the treble is unfiltered. It's a difficult decision for me TBH.

Edit: Actually I am very sure I will make my own buds after getting a renowed bud as a reference. So maybe I should stick to the most resolving oen with a balanced signature?

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2023 at 9:09 PM Post #72,507 of 75,861
I would take a leather snap cable wrap over Velcro all day. I personally detest the sound of Velcro; eliminate it from my life.

Blur's leather wraps are some of the nicest out there. Alma Leather Handmade out of Ukraine makes some good leather goods too.
I have leather snap straps as well as the hook and loop straps and the minimal noise from those thin straps don't bug me at all. I'm glad you found something you like though.

Nov 15, 2023 at 12:48 AM Post #72,508 of 75,861
Found some amazingly priced budget newcomers on the block!

Nicehck YDX. Went down to $11 with store coupon + coin deal!

Huayunxin RDD, around $24 before coupons. I heard many DIY'ers are using their DD drivers for their build. Not sure it'll impress, but at least got some positive reputation to look forward to, and You know Metal housing, detachable for 20 bucks. All X factors.

Screenshot_20231115-000147.png
Screenshot_20231115-000404.png
Screenshot_20231115-002040.png

Nov 15, 2023 at 1:29 AM Post #72,509 of 75,861
Found some amazingly priced budget newcomers on the block!

Nicehck YDX. Went down to $11 with store coupon + coin deal!

Huayunxin RDD, around $24 before coupons. I heard many DIY'ers are using their DD drivers for their build. Not sure it'll impress, but at least got some positive reputation to look forward to, and You know Metal housing, detachable for 20 bucks. All X factors.

I'm also interested getting those shell but there's not much info about them not alot of people want to shell out money to get those shells lol

I wonder if they behave like how @furyossa modded shell your impressions about them will be appreciated 😃

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2023 at 1:50 AM Post #72,510 of 75,861
Hello Everyone,

I need suggestions for MMCX earbuds which can trigger High Impedance Mode in my LG V60, impedance more than 50 ohm.

I normally listen to Indian Bollywood Music, Ghazals and look for clarity, instrument separation.

As I also use mic for calling, having mmcx cable with mic helps a lot.

The Earbuds I have used earlier:
Ourart Ti7 (liked it a lot but broke while removing mmcx cable)
Smabat M2s Pro (works, but mmcx got loose)
Monk Lite (Liked a lot, size is also good.
**** PT15 (currently using)

Other headphone I have used:
Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 Wireless
Hifiman He400i

I thought of getting Smabat ST20 but heard it to be very big in size.

Please suggest.

Regards,

Amit

Users who are viewing this thread

Back