Earbuds Round-Up
Oct 9, 2023 at 3:08 PM Post #71,896 of 75,427
Dear Flathead Fiends (aka Earbud Comrades),

Very disappointing news for me. I had a follow-up visit today with my otolaryngologist (ENT) and audiologist and my tests were not favorable in regards to flatheads. Thankfully, nothing too serious for day-to-day life though.

With my particular type of hearing damage and loss incurred in the line of duty and so as to prevent any further deterioration of my hearing and to properly manage unique tinnitus both docs (in full cahoots with my wife of course) have decided that I can no longer have ANYTHING in and/or covering my ear canals no matter how lightly it may be (primarily due to the occlusion effect).

Therefore, I have been relegated to full-size over-the-ear open-back only headphones. Thankfully I love music far more than I do gear so I know I will manage to weather this abrupt tempest and soon adapt :xf_wink:.

With immediate effect, I will be selling off all my remaining flathead earbuds 😭 .
  • FranQL Caelum; 120Ω
  • RikuBuds Saber 3; 64Ω
  • Longyao-Yinman 龙谣音曼 2.0 醇净 600 LE; 600Ω
  • Blur 256 PK16 White Face LE; 16Ω
So as to make sure I will walk the line and fully embrace my new open-back (Sennheiser HD 600) only lifestyle and to avoid tempting myself I will refrain from participating in flathead/earbud oriented threads here on Head-Fi and over on SBAF and on the Discord earbud-related servers. I most definitely would like to still hang out and participate in threads oriented to the Sennheiser HD 600, vacuum tube amps, and other related source/accessory threads.

Accordingly, for my own sanity, I will also have to abandon the custodianship of maintaining the Flathead Timeline and The Flathead Corner (Flathead Rankings). I will of course leave the docs up on Google Docs shared to all who have the link though I would advise that some people should capture the data in some way just in case I abruptly kick the butt! I am a senior citizen so it is entirely possible.

Thank you and mad respects to you all!
So sorry to hear :frowning2: take care of your hearing and thank you for all your contributions!

Oct 9, 2023 at 3:10 PM Post #71,897 of 75,427

Very disappointing news for me. I had a follow-up visit today with my otolaryngologist (ENT) and audiologist and my tests were not favorable in regards to flatheads. Thankfully, nothing too serious for day-to-day life though.

With my particular type of hearing damage and loss incurred in the line of duty and so as to prevent any further deterioration of my hearing and to properly manage unique tinnitus both docs (in full cahoots with my wife of course) have decided that I can no longer have ANYTHING in and/or covering my ear canals no matter how lightly it may be (primarily due to the occlusion effect).

Therefore, I have been relegated to full-size over-the-ear open-back only headphones. Thankfully I love music far more than I do gear so I know I will manage to weather this abrupt tempest and soon adapt :xf_wink:.

With immediate effect, I will be selling off all my remaining flathead earbuds 😭 .
  • FranQL Caelum; 120Ω
  • RikuBuds Saber 3; 64Ω
So as to make sure I will walk the line and fully embrace my new open-back (Sennheiser HD 600) only lifestyle and to avoid tempting myself I will refrain from participating in flathead/earbud oriented threads here on Head-Fi and over on SBAF and on the Discord earbud-related servers. I most definitely would like to still hang out and participate in threads oriented to the Sennheiser HD 600, vacuum tube amps, and other related source/accessory threads.

Accordingly, for my own sanity, I will also have to abandon the custodianship of maintaining the Flathead Timeline and The Flathead Corner (Flathead Rankings). I will of course leave the docs up on Google Docs shared to all who have the link though I would advise that some people should capture the data in some way just in case I abruptly kick the butt! I am a senior citizen so it is entirely possible.

Damn, thats horrible to hear. We will definitely miss you around here.

Oct 9, 2023 at 3:19 PM Post #71,898 of 75,427

• FranQL Caelum; 120Ω
  • RikuBuds Saber 3; 64Ω

That's sad news. However, I'm sure this thread can accommodate the reformed or medically retired flatheaders equally. Your wisdom is always appreciated.
Maybe I can give the Blur's a good home, seeing as mine gave up the ghost.

Oct 9, 2023 at 3:22 PM Post #71,899 of 75,427

• FranQL Caelum; 120Ω
  • RikuBuds Saber 3; 64Ω

Take good care of your hearing. I'm glad you can still enjoy cans. Maybe open air style headgear may work for you. It is a sad, sad day when a friend disappears from our small world of flat head earbuds. I can't even fathom who has the knowledge to take over the reins of the Flathead Timeline and Rankings from you. Sigh!!

Oct 9, 2023 at 3:33 PM Post #71,900 of 75,427

• FranQL Caelum; 120Ω
  • RikuBuds Saber 3; 64Ω

Really sad day for this thread and our little community. WoodyLuvr is living encyclopaedia of flat earbuds and it was real pleasure to read all those posts about earbud history and his expertise on various models.
After all it's all about the music and life, so enjoy it, my friend! Visit us sometimes 😉

Oct 9, 2023 at 3:46 PM Post #71,901 of 75,427

• FranQL Caelum; 120Ω
  • RikuBuds Saber 3; 64Ω

Each of your posts has been a major contribution to earbud love and lore, deeply and enthusiastically appreciated by me and (I'm sure) every member of this thread. Peace! Be well! Thank you always. Live long and prosper!

Oct 9, 2023 at 4:39 PM Post #71,902 of 75,427

• FranQL Caelum; 120Ω
  • RikuBuds Saber 3; 64Ω

sad to hear that you have to quit the earbud niche. i would like to thank you for your contribution to the earbud niche through your tierlist i bought yincrow-3000 and the Longyao-Yinman 龙谣音曼 2.0 醇净 600 LE; 600Ω as i enjoy both them.

Oct 9, 2023 at 6:26 PM Post #71,903 of 75,427

• FranQL Caelum; 120Ω
  • RikuBuds Saber 3; 64Ω

A mighty shame and a great loss to the community but health must come first! Thank you so much for all the help and generous contributions made.

I'm sure we can continue to chat about open-backs, some of which I intend to explore soon, including the HD600!

Oct 9, 2023 at 7:43 PM Post #71,904 of 75,427
Hello guys, this is my first post, just joined headfi after founding this thread. I'm earbud fan, glad to find people who share this same peculiar passion :)

Sorry if this question were already asked before, as I said, just joined, but owning the TGX Serratus, makes sense to acquire the Venture Electronics asura 3.0FE? Or is it a "downgrade"? Is it worthy to get the Asura or just save for some other TOTL as a clear upgrade? Does anyone have both to make a good comparison? Thank you all very much!

I have both, Asura 3.0 FE is different sounding, with thin foams it is the closest earbud I have listened to that gives an analog or vinyl feel which I find to be very engaging. With silicone rings, they are clean and clear, very detailed. I would say they are more of a sidegrade, just a different flavor.

Asura's main con is that the cable is kinda heavy although VE do provide a shirt clip, in contrast Jim has provided one of the best earbud cables with Serratus, so light and supple.

Oct 9, 2023 at 8:29 PM Post #71,905 of 75,427
I have both, Asura 3.0 FE is different sounding, with thin foams it is the closest earbud I have listened to that gives an analog or vinyl feel which I find to be very engaging. With silicone rings, they are clean and clear, very detailed. I would say they are more of a sidegrade, just a different flavor.

Asura's main con is that the cable is kinda heavy although VE do provide a shirt clip, in contrast Jim has provided one of the best earbud cables with Serratus, so light and supple.
Thank you for your insight!

Oct 9, 2023 at 11:30 PM Post #71,906 of 75,427

• FranQL Caelum; 120Ω
  • RikuBuds Saber 3; 64Ω

Really sorry to hear about this.

@WoodyLuvr you are one of the most knowledgeable and humble folks in the earbud world, and have contributed massively to all of us in this niche earbud rabbithole. We have learnt so much from you. It will be a big loss to the entire hobby, but health definitely supercedes the rest.

Keep in touch and we do hope for technological advances so that one day you may be able to pick up your favourite earbuds again.

BTW, I'm not sure if you have tried bone conduction transducers? I work in the medical line and sign off on audiometries daily, so bone conduction is an option for those with hearing loss/tinnitus.

Basically, on a normal day to day basis, humans hear via both air conduction (AC) and to a lesser extent, bone conduction (BC).

366025919_680387250643391_2482407960862400166_n.jpg

AC is the usual route we hear (red path above) - as its name suggests, sound waves travel thru the air, and the outer ear funnels these to the middle ear and thru the eardrums, into the inner ear nerves, which are converted to electrical signals to the brain. BC (orange path) is the alternative route, whereby sound is transmitted thru vibrations along the skull or jaw bone. They bypass the outer/middle ear and eardrums, and directly go to the inner ear nerves. For example, BC is in play when you cover your ears and you speak; you can still hear words, because sound goes thru the skull bones to the inner ear.

BC tech has actually been around for centuries. The famed composer Beethoven lost his hearing (possibly from Menierre's disease or lead poisoning), and his livelihood would have been affected should he not be able to compose or hear music. He used a creative DIY fix by sticking a rod to his piano, and clenched it in his jaw, thereby using BC to hear transmitted sounds.

BC has widespread use in hearing aids for folks who have conductive hearing loss or tinnitus, to bypass the eardrums, and are also used in the military (BC headsets can transmit commands, but still allow soldiers be situationally aware through AC).

Granted, as of 2023, BC sound isn't as refined as AC - audiophiles may think a pure BC gear is "LOW FI" in comparison. Having said that, the BC tech is still in its early stages, and who knows, maybe give it a few years and the technology will get more refined and useful to audiophiles.

@baskingshark What do you say ? Will we be lucky this time?
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mrdrtHo

I'm not keeping my hopes up for Smabat stuff bro. Gonna wait for first adopter reviews first. Been played out many times by the gigantic 3 kHz Himalayan banshee peak.

Someone brave wanna take one for the team?

Oct 10, 2023 at 7:35 AM Post #71,907 of 75,427

• FranQL Caelum; 120Ω
  • RikuBuds Saber 3; 64Ω

This is not what this thread needs. But sadly we will have to make do. Your absence will be felt. Hope you recover well.

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2023 at 7:56 AM Post #71,908 of 75,427
I would like to tell everyone here about LREY. I started my Filipino earbuds journey with them, and even though their initial models sounded okay, nothing was particularly ground-breaking. Matia V2 and Cronus were nice for their prices, but all the rest were pretty average. Those sounded a bit half-baked, like they had more to give but could not, stopped midway. Their tuning still needed work. Raijin Special, Ryujin, Hera, Minerva Lite - all of them gave me the same impression.

But that has changed.

I think John has finally unlocked the secret of great sound, simultaneously by driver selection, housing design, and masterful tuning. His latest creations, the custom-designed wooden shell W03, and the Xenon MX are outstanding, serving highly refined and well articulated gourmet sound! They are costly - 111 and 97 USD respectively. And man do they sound worthy of those prices!

1000021461-01.jpeg

W03: Powerful yet balanced and full sound, very good full-bodied bass, outstanding spacious stage width and depth, outstanding imaging, very good height and details, very good separation, well extended and quite energetic treble, big and well-defined notes...I mean it has it all!

1000021578-01.jpeg

Xenon MX: Slightly bigger bass, but still very open and full sounding. Slightly smoother in comparison, with slightly less defined but still quite big notes. Full sounding midrange with almost similarly good separation. Even better stage height but slightly less stage depth, similar width, almost similarly good imaging, slightly less energetic treble - this is a perfect slightly laid back but still quite technical counterpart!

For their respective prices, both W03 and Xenon MX performs splendidly! Very rarely I am so immediately pleased by a bud, and these are two of the choicest ones.

LREY has really evolved. I am so happy that I have kept my trust in them. I know they are going to have many more outstanding offering models down the line, I am already booking the Medusa!

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2023 at 4:48 PM Post #71,909 of 75,427
I think John has finally unlocked the secret of great sound, simultaneously by driver selection, housing design, and masterful tuning. His latest creations, the custom-designed wooden shell W03, and the Xenon MX are outstanding, serving highly refined and well articulated gourmet sound! They are costly - 111 and 97 USD respectively. And man do they sound worthy of those prices!
I have W03, Ryujin and Kitsune X.
They all are build very well and sound good, too.
W03 is one of my favourite Earbuds like now.
I would absolutely recommend to try them.
Nice contact and you can do some changes if you want.
Only downside are the relativly high prices for shipping.

Oct 10, 2023 at 6:42 PM Post #71,910 of 75,427

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ALL SOLD! ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
  • FranQL Caelum; 120Ω
  • RikuBuds Saber 3; 64Ω
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ALL SOLD! ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Thank you for all of your insight, reviews, rankings, and the invaluable Timeline! The place won't be the same without you, but I hope your ears are healthier for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back