Earbuds Round-Up
Sep 21, 2023 at 7:15 AM Post #71,731 of 75,866
I went ahead and purchased the VE Sun Copper from the classifieds today. Let's hope my ears agree with them, both from tonality and fit perspectives :)

Sep 21, 2023 at 7:19 AM Post #71,732 of 75,866
I went ahead and purchased the VE Sun Copper from the classifieds today. Let's hope my ears agree with them, both from tonality and fit perspectives :)
Hope you’ll share some comparisons with DS and Sunniva. I’ve been thinking of adding a VE bud to my collection, but I’m not sure where to start.

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2023 at 7:36 AM Post #71,733 of 75,866
Smabat M5Pro flagship up for crowdfunding:

380544977_800476698752950_4025234860851171817_n.jpg

Am a bit wary of the usual 3 kHz spike in Smabat's house signature, but seems they are employing a labyrinth acoustic tube, which increases sub-bass, like in some of their previous earbuds (sub-bass is generally a weakness in most earbuds otherwise).

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php
02Nep2kgZeYD7Ed4wSPaMbqN2AbEhGdByJqCAniQNjSfWsxrr8BJKsx8pfvZGHsgQml&id=100063718818578
LCP driver + 3 kHz spike = ear bleeding
But we always hope that the next Smabat product will be good 🙃

Sep 21, 2023 at 7:36 AM Post #71,734 of 75,866
Hope you’ll share some comparisons with DS and Sunniva. I’ve been thinking of adding a VE bud to my collection, but I’m not sure where to start.
That goes without saying!

Sep 21, 2023 at 7:50 AM Post #71,735 of 75,866

Haha agreed!

I bought at least 10+ Smabat buds so far in my earbud journey and crowdfunded a couple of their stuff, but yeah, I've given up on their house 3 kHz icepick. Gonna skip on this until first adopter reviews come out. High likelihood of a shoutfest as you described.

Sep 21, 2023 at 8:00 AM Post #71,736 of 75,866

Since this sounds wawa wiva (as one important man once said) on VE Zen LL on VE Prime DAC+RA2B-FE I took the liberty of posting this tremendous piece by one of my country's greatest vocalists accompanied by a young simphonic orchestra.

You won't understand a word, but music is an international language. And please, by all means, post your local masterpiece!

20230921_134527.jpg

Sep 21, 2023 at 8:31 AM Post #71,737 of 75,866
I'm sure the next model will be a massive hit... But only the next model...

Sep 21, 2023 at 9:12 AM Post #71,738 of 75,866
Here is my opinion on the Fiio FF1 after 2 weeks of listening. I am using the donut foams (or crisp foams as Fiio likes to call them) and iBasso DC03 Pro as the source and UAPP as the music app.

My unit is L-shaped, the mids and treble are in line with each other but the bass is boosted. Lowering the bass by -3db, the sound becomes more balanced, in addition it also helped to make the bass less bloated. Mids are clean if lacking a bit in detail and the treble is a similar story, it is clear without harshness and nice amount of zing. I did find the sound to be a little dry, using the iBasso mobile app, I change the digital filter from NOS to slow roll-off, although the effect is subtle I thought the music flowed better.

Pretty much all budget earbuds I've listened to suffer from a lack of soundstage depth, they can portray decent or good width but depth is always a problem and the FF1 is no exception. Instruments are more or less presented on the same plane, I listen to mostly classical and the FF1 isn't the best fit for anything orchestral because you just don't get the layering or the separation required for that sort of music. However I find them to be quite suitable for classical chamber music. If you want better then you have to pay the big bucks for the higher tier earbuds.

For my personal usage they are somewhat of a niche earbud, I will probably only use them for casual listening, maybe YouTube, movies and TV shows too. While my opinion may lean towards negative more than positive, I still feel that the FF1 is still worth the asking price (I only paid $18 for them). Let me tell you why, I have not bought any budget earbuds in the past 2 years but I can say with a high degree of confidence that the FF1 SQ easily beat those earbuds from 2+ years ago, examples would be NiceHCK $10-20 category (B40, ME80, EB2), Vido, KBEAR Stellar, Qian39/69, Monk Plus and so on.

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2023 at 9:18 AM Post #71,739 of 75,866
I fell for this 'technology' with the M4. I was intrigued with their modular design idea.

However, whatever I mixed and matched with the parts I purchased the outcome was all the same: RUBBISH.

Now they need crowdfunding for their next piece of art?
Nope. My wallet stays shut.
Just my 2 cents of course.

Cheers

Sep 21, 2023 at 9:24 AM Post #71,740 of 75,866
I fell for this 'technology' with the M4. I was intrigued with their modular design idea.

However, whatever I mixed and matched with the parts I purchased the outcome was all the same: RUBBISH.

Now they need crowdfunding for their next piece of art?
Nope. My wallet stays shut.
Just my 2 cents of course.

Cheers

Haha no disagreement from me!

Sep 21, 2023 at 4:21 PM Post #71,741 of 75,866
Hello everyone, I've been out of the earbud game for a long time, and now I'd like to buy a new pair. I mainly listen to metal, hard rock and synthwave, so what I'm looking for is something easy to drive, with a balanced sound, good bass extension (for a earbud of course), good dynamics (a polite earbud wouldn't pair well with Entombed and AC/DC). Detachable cable isn't a must but is a plus. I'd like to keep my budget under 100€.
Thanks in advance!

Sep 21, 2023 at 8:49 PM Post #71,742 of 75,866

Am a bit wary of the usual 3 kHz spike in Smabat's house signature, but seems they are employing a labyrinth acoustic tube, which increases sub-bass, like in some of their previous earbuds (sub-bass is generally a weakness in most earbuds otherwise).

https://www.facebook.com/permalink....jSfWsxrr8BJKsx8pfvZGHsgQml&id=100063718818578
Smabat's math is way the hell off...? $159 - 55% ($87.45) = $71.55. They are charging $89 which is only 44% saving, not 55%. False advertising!!

Sep 21, 2023 at 8:53 PM Post #71,743 of 75,866
Hello everyone, I've been out of the earbud game for a long time, and now I'd like to buy a new pair. I mainly listen to metal, hard rock and synthwave, so what I'm looking for is something easy to drive, with a balanced sound, good bass extension (for a earbud of course), good dynamics (a polite earbud wouldn't pair well with Entombed and AC/DC). Detachable cable isn't a must but is a plus. I'd like to keep my budget under 100€.
Thanks in advance!
I suppose it will depend on your definition of a good signature for those genres, but for me, one of the least offensive with shredding guitars is the Yincrow RW2000. I personally find the Yinman 2.0 600 the best with this stuff, but you wanted easy to drive.

Honorary mention for those genres could go to the FiiO FF3. They do have a bit of a fatiguing sound in the 2k-5k region though (though not as bad as a lot other sets out there).

If, however, you want to go the other way, and you are closer to a treble head, the Yincrow RW3000 are also excellent for that type of music; and they do have good bass extention also, just maybe not as much overall quantity. The problem with these is that they are over your budget.

Bottom line is that any one of these I would consider TOTL buds.

For budget buds, the new FiiO FF1 would be good with this type of music, though this will be a set that changes its sound very highly with different sources IME.

Sep 21, 2023 at 9:06 PM Post #71,744 of 75,866

https://www.facebook.com/permalink....jSfWsxrr8BJKsx8pfvZGHsgQml&id=100063718818578
I think these look a lot like the ST10S. I am possibly interested in these (in the same "lurker" approach you are), but we shall see. I have yet to see a set of Smabat buds that dint have at least a bit of a boost in the pina region. Even the sister company A-Bells have the Smabat house sound and boost.

I got my "one" bud replacement finally (which btw CKLewis put in a nice little carry case), and I can say that I like them. Yes, they are boosted, but more like the amount the M2s Pro had, rather than any of the newer stuff.

So, if anyone wants something similar to the M2s Pro 32ohm bio driver, these are close, but really cheap. This is a good thing, because overall I really like these.

Sep 22, 2023 at 12:30 AM Post #71,745 of 75,866
I think these look a lot like the ST10S. I am possibly interested in these (in the same "lurker" approach you are), but we shall see. I have yet to see a set of Smabat buds that dint have at least a bit of a boost in the pina region. Even the sister company A-Bells have the Smabat house sound and boost.

I got my "one" bud replacement finally (which btw CKLewis put in a nice little carry case), and I can say that I like them. Yes, they are boosted, but more like the amount the M2s Pro had, rather than any of the newer stuff.

So, if anyone wants something similar to the M2s Pro 32ohm bio driver, these are close, but really cheap. This is a good thing, because overall I really like these.
I'm glad CKLewis came through for you. I like the A-Bells as well, for some reason I find them a little addicting when I decide to use them. I did build some buds with the same dual piezo / DD drive in a MX500 shell (posted a few pages back). My build basically sounds like the A-Bells, but not as loud, so I have to crank the volume up higher. I think the dual driver combined with the metal bell housing create that sound signature of the A-Bells.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back