Earbuds Round-Up
Jun 16, 2023 at 12:28 AM Post #70,246 of 76,509
We are not your servants, so if you do not trust our experience, please search the measurements yourself,

By the way, you can try the sound quality trends of the OFC and OCC cables for a total of less than $10 at the URL below.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000110051404.html
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32977455076.html
Why so aggressive, brother?
I am using aftermarket cables with most of my IEMs and full size headphones, but not for sonic improvement, just for the sake of ergonomics and balanced termination.
And yes, you can find conclusive measurements showing impact of changing earpads and eartips, but surprisingly none for cables.
If you have any, please share as things like "bass boost" is definitely something that should show up in the simplest FQ response capture.
And as for the googling the measurements, afraid the results are not speaking in favor of perceived changes to be real.

Jun 16, 2023 at 2:21 AM Post #70,247 of 76,509
In all my years of measuring and DIY'ing etc, cables have never made any measurable contribution to the sound of a headphone.

Usually things like expectation bias, placebo, confirmation bias, or just wearing the ear bud slightly differently after swapping cables makes a far bigger difference.
Even an increase of load (higher resistance cable) can only make an incremental difference that is usually, realistically imperceptible.

If we had the right tools that were sensitive enough and accurate enough to measure any real differences, they would surely be very incremental.
Unfortunately, changing a cable on any headphone/earbud will usually nudge it into a slightly different position relative to the microphone, which will give an incrementally different measurement anyway, so false-positives can exist.

I'm not trying to stir the pot. Just sharing my fairly exhaustive experience on the matter.

Jun 16, 2023 at 2:52 AM Post #70,248 of 76,509
Cables.

STAX SR-003MK2​

Is it an earbud?
e-earphones.jp has it in their earbud section. It doesn't really look like an IEM.

1686898291739.png

1686898264791.png

Jun 16, 2023 at 3:00 AM Post #70,249 of 76,509
Cables.

STAX SR-003MK2​

Is it an earbud?
e-earphones.jp has it in their earbud section. It doesn't really look like an IEM.

1686898291739.png
1686898264791.png
ha that's interesting.
Stax trying their hands at an electrostatic IEM, I guess. That's their brand after all, and the connector looks like it's meant to be used with their Energizer units

Jun 16, 2023 at 4:51 AM Post #70,250 of 76,509
Its out now, who will be first to try? :)
AF490A3B-1E17-4014-B8D5-B322D52291B9.jpeg

Jun 16, 2023 at 5:02 AM Post #70,252 of 76,509
Anybody has measurements of bass improvement from different cables? It should show up on FQ response chart pretty easily, if it's real.

I'm also fully stocked on "snake oil" from Bosk in form of some Penon interconnection cable and the infamous Penon Totem 4.4mm adapter.

IMG_2901.jpg

Let's look at measurements:
cable.jpg

Nothing. No change in frequency response. Very slight change in impulse response and decay (waterfall graph) that can totally be due to measurement error.

With that being said, I'm happy with the blue interchangeable cable enough that I want to buy one for myself to replace the flimsy stock cable that comes with G5. It looks good, and maybe because it looks so good, I almost believe that it sounds better. The red adapter cable is just too clunky to use daily. Though, due to whatever mechanical or psychological factors, I'm almost sure that I hear a hair more cymbals/hi-hats and slightly cleaner bass-line with Quartet when that red connector is on.

But do you know what I like the most about these cables? The quality of the plugs. Thick, chunky, well-machined. Now I want to get back to DIY earbuds and make some nice cables with these plugs.

And that's all of my audio adventure today, sponsored by Bosk (thanks mate!)

Here you go

Jun 16, 2023 at 5:16 AM Post #70,254 of 76,509
Didn't realise you were also such a fan?

APWS has been the discovery of the year for me (so far). It's probably going to be the most difficult earbud to review for me. It's unique, sometimes 'oddly' unique, but at the same time beautiful in the way it presents vocals and strings.
Is APWS the same as VE Asura 2.0 or 3.0?

Jun 16, 2023 at 6:06 AM Post #70,256 of 76,509
Why so aggressive, brother?
I am using aftermarket cables with most of my IEMs and full size headphones, but not for sonic improvement, just for the sake of ergonomics and balanced termination.
And yes, you can find conclusive measurements showing impact of changing earpads and eartips, but surprisingly none for cables.
If you have any, please share as things like "bass boost" is definitely something that should show up in the simplest FQ response capture.
And as for the googling the measurements, afraid the results are not speaking in favor of perceived changes to be real.

Shozy BK and Shozy Cygnus use the same docomo driver.
But for the cables, the Shozy BK uses OCC cables and the Shozy Cygnus uses silver-plated cables.
Shozy BK vs Shozy Cygnus.jpg

Jun 16, 2023 at 7:20 AM Post #70,258 of 76,509
Shozy BK and Shozy Cygnus use the same docomo driver.
But for the cables, the Shozy BK uses OCC cables and the Shozy Cygnus uses silver-plated cables.
In the context of the previous debate, are you implying that different cable materials (and not, for example, different tuning) are responsible for the significant differences in the graphs? Did I misunderstand your post?

Jun 16, 2023 at 8:08 AM Post #70,259 of 76,509
In the context of the previous debate, are you implying that different cable materials (and not, for example, different tuning) are responsible for the significant differences in the graphs? Did I misunderstand your post?
At the very least, it can be said that the Shozy Cygnus, with its sparkling treble, uses silver-plated cable, while the Shozy BK, with its emphasis on mid-bass, uses OCC cable.

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2023 at 8:09 AM Post #70,260 of 76,509
Its out now, who will be first to try? :)
What happened to that price of 419 yuan (~US$60) that was mentioned by @Reebonz ...? I was all in for US$60, not at US$419.

DUNU ALPHA 3 Earbud
  • 14.2mm dynamic driver
  • Stainless steel shell
  • Aluminum alloy stem
  • Stealth acoustic cavity open system
  • High-purity single crystal copper silver-plated Litz wire
  • 3.5mm single-ended price: 399 yuan (~US$ 55)
  • 4.4mm balanced price: 419 yuan (~US$ 60)
  • June 15 release date

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back