Earbuds Round-Up
Jun 1, 2023 at 4:26 PM Post #70,066 of 75,879
Insanely useful post. Thanks a lot. :thumbsup:

I take it that Rose Martini is off the list.
I have not had the opportunity to listen to those, but they DID take over as Rose Technics "flagship" buds when they discontinued the Maria II, so maybe there is something to that, and maybe not... :)
I was fortunate to take advantage of the recent sales and get the RW2000 and RW3000, which I've been listening to for the past week or so (both with Fiio balanced foams). They're so good. I've been using the RW3000 on my DX320 with the Amp14 card and it's been a glorious experience. I was worried these would be fatiguing, but that hasn't been the case. I've come to think of the FF3, RW2000, FF5, and RW3000 as lying on a spectrum. The RW2000 doesn't have the authoritative bass presentation of the FF3, but it's a more extended and resolving set, while retaining some of the fun factor (to borrow your words) of the FF3. The FF5 sounds yet more extended and neutral than the RW2000, but less technically and tonally pleasing to me (the RW2000 really nails the balance between fun and technicality for me). And the RW3000 is the most extended and resolving of the four, while still retaining enough bass quantity and quality to stop it from being overly clinical (it's what I wanted Serratus to be). The bottom line is that I'm feeling less and less of a need to keep the FF3 and FF5 around, because the RW2000 is better for me at what I was using the FF3 for (fun, on-the-go dongle listening) and the RW3000 is better than the FF5 at what I was using the FF5 for (more focused and immersive sessions at night with my DAP). I'm now awaiting the Yinman 2.0 for my desktop setup and am very excited to try them out.
I would agree with all that you have said, but where we differ is that I find the FF3 and RW2000 to be enouch different and the FF5 and RW3000 also different that I have use for all four in different situations. I love them all. :)

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on these, and I am glad you are enjoying them.

If you have the Amp12, it will push the Yinman splendidly, and the Stock Amp11 will push them also. I use the Stock 11 amp on the DX300 and I hear no deficiencies (though my ears ARE getting old :wink:).
I agree with @DBaldock9 that the ST10s driver is more balanced sounding than the SO driver, but to my ears the ST10s drivers are a little 'hot'. It's probably that 3kHz region showing it's ugly head. Now I say this with the S1 still sporting the standard 2.5 tuning damper.

Smabat is now selling the tuning dampers set with 4 types of dampers. The set only used to include types 1, 2 and 3, which was ridiculous because you could never get back to default 2.5 tuning after you destroyed it during a damper swap.

From what I've found, Smabat is recommending type 1 and/or type 2 for several of their current drivers. Maybe I'll have to change the damper to type 2 and see how the ST10s sound. Unfortunately I only have a set of the original tuning dampers that don't include the 2.5 dampers so now I'll have to order the latest damper set.
I also agree that the ST10S is a more balanced sound, but I can either put in the actual ST10S, or another set that sounds similar to my ears. The SO driver has more resolution and better controlled bass for my tastes (most times). As a matter of fact, some while ago, I sent my M2s Pro ST10S driver out to be made into a fantastic pair of DIY buds... :) I DO have it also in the M4, but the sound is quite different than either the ST10S or the M2s Pro to my ears.

Having said all of that, I have never fiddled with the dampers on anything but the M4, and I could hear 0 differences at all. 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2023 at 4:28 PM Post #70,067 of 75,879
I agree with @DBaldock9 that the ST10s driver is more balanced sounding than the SO driver, but to my ears the ST10s drivers are a little 'hot'. It's probably that 3kHz region showing it's ugly head. Now I say this with the S1 still sporting the standard 2.5 tuning damper.

Smabat is now selling the tuning dampers set with 4 types of dampers. The set only used to include types 1, 2 and 3, which was ridiculous because you could never get back to default 2.5 tuning after you destroyed it during a damper swap.

1685649107219.png

From what I've found, Smabat is recommending type 1 and/or type 2 for several of their current drivers. Maybe I'll have to change the damper to type 2 and see how the ST10s sound. Unfortunately I only have a set of the original tuning dampers that don't include the 2.5 dampers so now I'll have to order the latest damper set.

Emphasis Added

Or - you could do what I did, and get 4 sets of the housings, and put a different set of dampers in each one... :wink:

Jun 1, 2023 at 4:43 PM Post #70,068 of 75,879
So I had a buddy do this test (I can't myself lol)

It seems like the wire and connection to the drivers on both the E464 and E888 gold are fine, and the drivers themselves are dead or the voicecoil inside is broken or whatever. :frowning2:

With the E888 at least since I have two I'll try to use the two good drivers to make one working earbud lol

So question for anyone since I have the E888 gold (which I prefer) and the E888 made in Japan, are the drivers the same and the sound is just different because of the housing (they have slightly different holes on both)? Or are the drivers different themselves?
It's a shame they are both broken. Those are some really good sets (from what I read). There IS a set of the 484's here, but you are going to pay a lot of money for them.... hehehe

I think they use the same driver, but I could be wrong. There is nothing that officially states one way or the other, but both drivers are 16Ohm @108dB sensitivity. Having said that, the shells really are different, and I would bet the difference in sound comes from that (if they are indeed the same driver).

Jun 1, 2023 at 4:45 PM Post #70,069 of 75,879
Emphasis Added

Or - you could do what I did, and get 4 sets of the housings, and put a different set of dampers in each one... :wink:
That is certainly a good way to avoid the issue at hand.

As the saying goes: "There's more than one way to skin a cat"! :sunglasses:

Jun 1, 2023 at 4:58 PM Post #70,070 of 75,879
It's a shame they are both broken. Those are some really good sets (from what I read). There IS a set of the 484's here, but you are going to pay a lot of money for them.... hehehe

I think they use the same driver, but I could be wrong. There is nothing that officially states one way or the other, but both drivers are 16Ohm @108dB sensitivity. Having said that, the shells really are different, and I would bet the difference in sound comes from that (if they are indeed the same driver).

Thanks for the response! Yes, the specs are a good indication that they are the same drivers (I guess since SONY of that time had issues with yields of biocellulose drivers for the R10 so it seems unlikely they'd have another SKU too). I just want to be sure before I get this surgery done.

The E464 is of course my favorite, and well, luckily, I still have a working pair lol

Jun 1, 2023 at 5:02 PM Post #70,071 of 75,879
Thanks for the response! Yes, the specs are a good indication that they are the same drivers (I guess since SONY of that time had issues with yields of biocellulose drivers for the R10 so it seems unlikely they'd have another SKU too). I just want to be sure before I get this surgery done.

The E464 is of course my favorite, and well, luckily, I still have a working pair lol
You are welcome! Wish I could be more definitive in the answer that I gave... Yeah, I think Sony was making those all the way up until somewhere around 2004 or something like that (you would have to ask our expert earbud historian @WoodyLuvr for the precise answer to that).

I wish you luck in your endeavor and hope it turns out well. Do let us know?! I would be interested to hear about it.

I am glad you still have your "favs" left... I wish I had (cheap) access to some of the former "flagship" that were great at that time (Sennheiser, Sony, etc...).

Jun 1, 2023 at 5:17 PM Post #70,072 of 75,879
Emphasis Added

Well then... C'mon... eh, spill the beans... which combination of drivers and dampers work well together?

I could see getting a few more M4 bodies for different tunings, but definitely not getting more S1 wireless sets.

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2023 at 5:19 PM Post #70,073 of 75,879
So I had a buddy do this test (I can't myself lol)

It seems like the wire and connection to the drivers on both the E464 and E888 gold are fine, and the drivers themselves are dead or the voicecoil inside is broken or whatever. :frowning2:

With the E888 at least since I have two I'll try to use the two good drivers to make one working earbud lol

So question for anyone since I have the E888 gold (which I prefer) and the E888 made in Japan, are the drivers the same and the sound is just different because of the housing (they have slightly different holes on both)? Or are the drivers different themselves?
Wow, I wish I had 2 e888! 😮

Jun 1, 2023 at 5:38 PM Post #70,074 of 75,879
I was fortunate to take advantage of the recent sales and get the RW2000 and RW3000, which I've been listening to for the past week or so (both with Fiio balanced foams). They're so good. I've been using the RW3000 on my DX320 with the Amp14 card and it's been a glorious experience. I was worried these would be fatiguing, but that hasn't been the case. I've come to think of the FF3, RW2000, FF5, and RW3000 as lying on a spectrum. The RW2000 doesn't have the authoritative bass presentation of the FF3, but it's a more extended and resolving set, while retaining some of the fun factor (to borrow your words) of the FF3. The FF5 sounds yet more extended and neutral than the RW2000, but less technically and tonally pleasing to me (the RW2000 really nails the balance between fun and technicality for me). And the RW3000 is the most extended and resolving of the four, while still retaining enough bass quantity and quality to stop it from being overly clinical (it's what I wanted Serratus to be). The bottom line is that I'm feeling less and less of a need to keep the FF3 and FF5 around, because the RW2000 is better for me at what I was using the FF3 for (fun, on-the-go dongle listening) and the RW3000 is better than the FF5 at what I was using the FF5 for (more focused and immersive sessions at night with my DAP). I'm now awaiting the Yinman 2.0 for my desktop setup and am very excited to try them out.
You are going to love the Yinmans, they are insanely good and have been stuck on my main rig since I got them. Would love to hear your thoughts on them!

Jun 1, 2023 at 5:55 PM Post #70,075 of 75,879
You are welcome! Wish I could be more definitive in the answer that I gave... Yeah, I think Sony was making those all the way up until somewhere around 2004 or something like that (you would have to ask our expert earbud historian @WoodyLuvr for the precise answer to that).

I wish you luck in your endeavor and hope it turns out well. Do let us know?! I would be interested to hear about it.

I am glad you still have your "favs" left... I wish I had (cheap) access to some of the former "flagship" that were great at that time (Sennheiser, Sony, etc...).

Yeah I basically do most of my listening on earbuds anyway, so I really want these to last as long as I can, both given what I paid for them, and especially given the ever inflating prices.

I don't mind the lack of bass/bass extension in general for sound signatures, and love the mid centric tunings of 90s SONY

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2023 at 8:08 PM Post #70,076 of 75,879
Very good prices for what they offer. Quality stuff!
Any high impedance drivers on those buds?
Kobe Audio Hades, that I already have, have 130 ohm Be driver.

Poseidon from him is going to have 300 ohm blue diamond pet driver.

LREY ones are all 32 ohm.

Jun 1, 2023 at 11:59 PM Post #70,078 of 75,879
@jeejack I saw you have a huge amount of DIY earbuds. Did you make them yourself? Quite impressive I must say.

Which ones of LREY and Kobe did you try by the way? I am amazed that even though there are differences in their performances, I love each and every one of them. They all seem to have pretty special sauces! Even if I go to the lower tier one after using the higher tier for an extensive period, I never seem to miss the higher tier and instead enjoy the lower tier very much!

Jun 2, 2023 at 2:00 AM Post #70,079 of 75,879
Hi, curious about earbuds
Any tips of what to get for my first set ?
Actually its my second set as i have Audio Technica ATH-CM7Ti but I rarely use it as i found the bass is really weak
Is there any earbuds that’s recommended that has decent amount of bass punch but also have wonderfull vocal ?
And widely available for purchase ?
Thank you

Jun 2, 2023 at 3:55 AM Post #70,080 of 75,879
Hi, curious about earbuds
Any tips of what to get for my first set ?
Actually its my second set as i have Audio Technica ATH-CM7Ti but I rarely use it as i found the bass is really weak
Is there any earbuds that’s recommended that has decent amount of bass punch but also have wonderfull vocal ?
And widely available for purchase ?
Thank you

What's your absolute budget? And what source are you using (quite a number of earbuds need decent amplification).

For a budget pair, if you like bass, check out the Yincrow X6.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back