Earbuds Round-Up
Oct 30, 2022 at 11:00 AM Post #66,286 of 75,871
Those who have asura 3.0 FE. Does it have pinna gain? What kind of pinna gain does it have, if any? I have the asura 3.0 FE but I don't know much about audio terminology and science. So can someone educate me about this?

Oct 30, 2022 at 1:47 PM Post #66,287 of 75,871
Hey fellas, long time no talk. My record co decided to review my forum and social media accounts so I haven't been able to access head fi or discord for a while, but I just got head fi cleared and hopefully I'll have discord back this afternoon or tomorrow morning.

I see I've got like 20+ pages to catch up on, but I just wanted to say that I missed you guys and I'm back.

While I was away I put together a DIY 300ohm LCP version of the NSC Audio Copper shelled buds and I braided an 8 core gold and black cable in mmcx for it. I am actually making some adjustments to it this morning and I'll post pics in a little bit. I have to say, I REALLY dig these shells for DIYing. They're very versatile having quite a bit of room on the inside for various tuning features and being made out of a relatively thick copper makes attaching things like baffles and wave guides very easy to do.

I hope everyone has been well while I've been away!

Oct 30, 2022 at 2:10 PM Post #66,289 of 75,871
Hey fellas, long time no talk. My record co decided to review my forum and social media accounts so I haven't been able to access head fi or discord for a while, but I just got head fi cleared and hopefully I'll have discord back this afternoon or tomorrow morning.

I see I've got like 20+ pages to catch up on, but I just wanted to say that I missed you guys and I'm back.

While I was away I put together a DIY 300ohm LCP version of the NSC Audio Copper shelled buds and I braided an 8 core gold and black cable in mmcx for it. I am actually making some adjustments to it this morning and I'll post pics in a little bit. I have to say, I REALLY dig these shells for DIYing. They're very versatile having quite a bit of room on the inside for various tuning features and being made out of a relatively thick copper makes attaching things like baffles and wave guides very easy to do.

How are you finding the sound quality of 300ohm LCP? got the same one on the way, should be here soon.

Oct 30, 2022 at 2:26 PM Post #66,290 of 75,871
How are you finding the sound quality of 300ohm LCP? got the same one on the way, should be here soon.

It's not these easiest driver to get the best out of, but if you're patient and you work with it the 300ohm LCP has a lot to offer. It's capable of rraching deep and giving you as much bass as you want. The mids are actually the easiest part as they seem to tend towards a natutal linearity from the jump. The treble requires some work as it tends to roll off early and when you get it to open up you have to do a lot of adjustments to refine it.

That said, the 300 LCP also has that wonderful punchy, slightly warm, and articulate quality that makes LCP drivers amongst my favorite to begin with. Mind you, I am saying this having only used the 300 LCP in a quickie MX500 build that I was just playing with and the build I'm working on now so I'm not exactly an expert lol! 😉

Oct 30, 2022 at 3:18 PM Post #66,291 of 75,871
Um, what.

My contract has clauses that allow them to review social media activity to confirm that I am keeping accounts private or anonymous. It's a long story...

Oct 30, 2022 at 3:55 PM Post #66,293 of 75,871

Welcome back. I noticed a new presence on other forums lol.

Oct 30, 2022 at 3:56 PM Post #66,294 of 75,871
Do you use foams with them?
On Apple earpod I found removing the mesh filter on the nozzle seem give a little more bite and general clarity to the sound without compromising the seal and losing body and bass extension (although the mesh was helping reduce some of roughness) , so based on your comments Ill add an opening on the MX500 front cover where it sits in the ear canal and see if it can help with treble for LCP, although tiny holes on MX500 cover may not be behaving in same way as mesh.

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2022 at 3:58 PM Post #66,295 of 75,871
Ah, didn't realize, sorry if it came across as rude.
Anyways welcome back!
:beerchug:

Not rude at all. It's a weird situation so I expect the occasional question.

Oct 30, 2022 at 4:01 PM Post #66,296 of 75,871
Welcome back. I noticed a new presence on other forums lol.

Yeah, I opened an account of HifiGuides to get my forum fix. It's more slow paced which worked out well because we were wrapping up recording the last couple weeks. The whole thing actually worked out pretty well.

Figures I would join a new forum and run across a killer deal on some ThieAudio Excaliburs like right away. Just my luck! The funny thing is I have been low key keeping my eye out for a pair because I really wanted to try one after owning and selling the Oracles.

Either way, it's nice to be back on my home thread! 😍

Oct 30, 2022 at 4:05 PM Post #66,297 of 75,871

Alright rock star, welcome back :beyersmile:

300ohm LCP is Serratus drivers, right? I’m planning to get that one to see how close I can get to Serratus as an exercise. Thinking about the 500ohm used by @Ronion as well. The guy does not sell his buds, so I figure I’ll just make one myself :beyersmile:

Oct 30, 2022 at 4:12 PM Post #66,298 of 75,871
Do you use foams with them?
On Apple earpod I found removing the mesh filter on the nozzle seem give a little more bite and general clarity to the sound without compromising the seal and losing body and bass extension (although the mesh was helping reduce some of roughness) , so based on your comments Ill add an opening on the MX500 front cover where it sits in the ear canal and see if it can help with treble for LCP, although tiny holes on MX500 cover may not be behaving in same way as mesh.

If you were asking me, I use donut foams on the 300 LCPs I'm working on right now.

Oct 30, 2022 at 7:02 PM Post #66,299 of 75,871
Those who have asura 3.0 FE. Does it have pinna gain? What kind of pinna gain does it have, if any? I have the asura 3.0 FE but I don't know much about audio terminology and science. So can someone educate me about this?
Likely, given the subjective descriptions of Asura that I have seen.

Essentially, your head and ears amplify frequencies around 2-3kHz. IEMs and headphones bypass this amplification, so they need to increase the loudness of these frequencies to compensate. If they don’t, the midrange can sound distant and fuzzy (that’s why JH Audio IEMs without ear gain are described as having giant soundstage with kind of “analog” fuzziness). Pushing the ear gain too far (like Smabat) and you will have closed in, shrill or shouty (too loud) midrange.

How much is enough? Depends on you. 10dB at 3k is generally safe and seems to work with more people. My buds tuned with 8db ear gain are considered muddy and blunt by many casual listeners (my colleagues).

@Ronion knows more about this topic than I do. He can explain to you.

Oct 30, 2022 at 7:46 PM Post #66,300 of 75,871
Alright rock star, welcome back :beyersmile:

300ohm LCP is Serratus drivers, right? I’m planning to get that one to see how close I can get to Serratus as an exercise. Thinking about the 500ohm used by @Ronion as well. The guy does not sell his buds, so I figure I’ll just make one myself :beyersmile:

I actually didn't know that Serratus used a 300 LCP, but based on what I'm hearing and what I've been able to pull out of this driver it doesn't surprise me at all. It's a very versatile driver and with enough patience and tweaking you can get it to take on a number of tuning profiles with equal detail and aplomb. It has that nice snappy, but smooth character that makes LCP drivers sound so fun and refined at the same time, IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back