Earbuds Round-Up
Oct 23, 2022 at 8:07 AM Post #66,226 of 75,871
I'm not sure whether that's a good idea, given how something like Andromeda changes noticeably with just a couple extra ohm in the source or even the cable. This change is reflected directly in frequency response graphs, not just intangible aspects. But do let me know how it goes. Extending the usability of Megatron is always a good idea.
Yeah it depends on the IEM, but sometimes an impedance adaptor is used specifically to change the sig, like with some Audiosense IEMs. I am hoping the adaptor will make the Megatron a bit less clinical

Oct 23, 2022 at 9:00 AM Post #66,227 of 75,871
Yep I still keep my Rosemary earbud around, very warm bassy set, well suited to just chill to music. Lacks technicalities/resolution though, but there are other buds for that

What source are you using with the Rosemary? They are pretty hard to drive due to the 150 ohm impedance, but when amped properly, the clarity and resolution improves somewhat.
I am using shanling UA3 and Megatron for them.

Oct 23, 2022 at 2:23 PM Post #66,228 of 75,871
I’ll have a look. Interesting indeed. I don’t know what 70ohm output impedance would do to something like monk+ (64ohm). Looking forward for your subjective impressions as well.
I haven’t done any real subjective testing, but in general earbud driver frequency responses don’t change much and I can only assume their impedance looks more like resistance to the amp. Only one I measured had significant deviations from baseline and that was the 32 Ohm blue glue. When I say significant, it was only around a decibel for a span of less than an octave. Not a huge deal. I only tested a couple drivers and from memory it was at 75 or 80 Ohms. My other resistor built into a plug is 220Ohms. It makes things hard to get well above the noise floor in my living room for measurements. With cans, the situation is very different and IEMs more so perhaps. Earbuds are largely immune.

Oct 23, 2022 at 3:45 PM Post #66,229 of 75,871
Most dynamic driver IEM impedance graph I see is fairly flat too, I have wondered what the effects the output impedance when FR is uneffected.
Electrical damping (ability for amp to control the driver) is technically impacted by output impedance even if FR is not effected.

From testing on IE300 and CX300, high output impedance (above damping factor around 1, where driver and output impedance matching) there wasn't much audible effect and the effect that was heard I could not really call negative, just different. Extremely high (output impedance multiple times the driver impedance) does start to cause clear negative effects (grainy, muddy).

Consider that efficiency is reduced with high output impedance, with a damping factor of 1 amp needs to pump twice the power to match volume of typical high damping factor setup, amp could be contributing to heard differences too.

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2022 at 12:46 AM Post #66,230 of 75,871
Something else I've noticed with foams. I'm not saying that this is absolutely true, but with buds that don't have a lot of deep bass, the HieGi do often add some bass. VE foams tend to add in deep bass as well, but it's not very pronounced in this case. It's always marginal and not miraculous. The treble difference is definitely the most audible difference no matter what and the shape of these changes are different with different drivers.
Foams.jpg

Oct 24, 2022 at 1:34 AM Post #66,231 of 75,871
Something else I've noticed with foams. I'm not saying that this is absolutely true, but with buds that don't have a lot of deep bass, the HieGi do often add some bass. VE foams tend to add in deep bass as well, but it's not very pronounced in this case. It's always marginal and not miraculous. The treble difference is definitely the most audible difference no matter what and the shape of these changes are different with different drivers.
Foams.jpg

yup, i agree. might be because of more contact to the inner ear lobes, making the transmission of the bass frequency better? because i seem to experience that using rubber rings also increase bass response

Oct 24, 2022 at 2:07 AM Post #66,232 of 75,871
Foams.jpg
Yeah that seems to be the overall opinion about Hiegi / dense foams. I suspect it's due to better sealing but admit it could be due to other factors as well

Oct 24, 2022 at 9:00 AM Post #66,233 of 75,871
Yeah that seems to be the overall opinion about Hiegi / dense foams. I suspect it's due to better sealing but admit it could be due to other factors as well
I always find it interest how the foams react differently with different designs. As far as I can remember, every time a designs efficiently plays under 100Hz, the HieGi seems to decrease bass response by a dB or 2. When the design is devoid of deep bass, HieGi seem to boost the bass a dB or 2…. They always reduce treble, but different designs are affected differently. Some you can barely see a reduction in treble, but when you listen the treble sounds more clear and resolved. Others will get completely muted above a 3-4kHz, but otherwise unaffected….. while others it will be more broad and shallow. I certainly haven’t wrapped my head around the “why’s“(IOW why aren’t they all the same?) specifically, but there are definitely trends in the driver’s underlying, innate frequency response and how it reacts to HieGi foams. One thing is for sure: HieGi are a great tool for bright earbud designs. Everything I’ve heard that is bright with stock foams sound better with HieGi. If the bud is neutral or dull, stay away and look to VE for enhancements. VE foams are even more interesting….

Oct 24, 2022 at 9:17 AM Post #66,234 of 75,871

It's a good feeling when you change a pair of foams and just this change elevates the sound from good to great/excellent (obviously it can go the other way too). It's becoming more apparent it's just as important as tip choice is with IEMs.

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2022 at 11:15 AM Post #66,235 of 75,871
It's a good feeling when you change a pair of foams and just this change elevates the sound from good to great/excellent (obviously it can go the other way too). It's becoming more apparent it's just as important as tip choice is with IEMs.
Agreed! I'd say it's more important than IEM tip choice👍

Oct 24, 2022 at 1:20 PM Post #66,236 of 75,871
On my break at work and I just have to say that even though I just have the 600 Beryllium connected to a 1V dongle, it blows my mind. I can’t wait to do this with the Megatron. Hopefully this output will give the Megatron enough juice to be an improvement over the dongle. If not, this is my traveling rig. Well, it’s also my home rig because none of my headphones are on this level: not my 400SE, HD650, my modded 600Ohm 990, or any of the other headphones I own. None of them are on this level. Some can do deeper bass for sure, but resolution and soundstage go to the 600Be as well as tonal balance. My 500 are essentially the same. They are tuned slightly different to get the same response, but either of them beat all others. My 130Be isn’t that far behind and has better bass.

Oct 24, 2022 at 2:24 PM Post #66,237 of 75,871
On my break at work and I just have to say that even though I just have the 600 Beryllium connected to a 1V dongle, it blows my mind. I can’t wait to do this with the Megatron. Hopefully this output will give the Megatron enough juice to be an improvement over the dongle. If not, this is my traveling rig. Well, it’s also my home rig because none of my headphones are on this level: not my 400SE, HD650, my modded 600Ohm 990, or any of the other headphones I own. None of them are on this level. Some can do deeper bass for sure, but resolution and soundstage go to the 600Be as well as tonal balance. My 500 are essentially the same. They are tuned slightly different to get the same response, but either of them beat all others. My 130Be isn’t that far behind and has better bass.

Megatron drives my Alpha well but I prefer my tube amp. What I've noticed with the Megatron is that, regardless of transducer, it isn't the most revealing source and also plays with the imaging slightly, where elements have less directionality and dimension to them.

This happens with most devices, regardless of impedance. So I don't think it's power related. These characteristics are, for me, the main drawbacks to the Megatron and leave me wanting a better portable option. Don't get me wrong, it still represents great value at the price and I don't regret the purchase.

I'll be interested to hear what you think of the Megatron.

Oct 24, 2022 at 3:07 PM Post #66,238 of 75,871

yes, 600 Ohm is without a doubt my number one adjusted to my preferences of all the buds that I have made that are well over a few hundred...

but, I do not give up anything, I equally enjoy IEM or headphones, I have no reason to keep them away from my side because they indisputably have their use case.

Oct 24, 2022 at 4:40 PM Post #66,240 of 75,871
Is this the link of the 600 be?

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/2255800682227408.html?gatewayAdapt=glo2usa4itemAdapt&_randl_shipto=US

Also, which shell(s) would be an option for a more comfortable fit than the standard mx500?
https://www.aliexpress.us/item/2251832774652645.html - NSC Audio is a known entity - I haven't personally heard of the seller that you linked.

Bell shape shells or Qian39 Shell will be more comfortable than MX500 - NSC Audio has a bunch of selections for bell shaped shells - as for Qian39 shells, that has to be harvested from buying an actual Qian39 bud!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back