Earbuds Round-Up
Oct 22, 2022 at 11:43 PM Post #66,211 of 75,871
It's ugly and I've since cleaned it up but this should give you an idea of what I did!

The more holes you cover, the less bloated it will be! I ended up covering all but one little hole.

Covering all the vents basically kills off bass so I reckon the next step past that is to cover the little hole with micropore tape or something porous and thin so it still has some bass response!
Got it! A little while after I got them, I actually put a hole myself in them using a soldering iron. Helped add some more air and soundstage. I will mess around and see which vent combination I like. :)

Oct 22, 2022 at 11:50 PM Post #66,212 of 75,871
I’m fairly certain that the Monk isn’t going to be a great match either….
Yup. I guess they can't just put a Zen 2.0 inside :dt880smile: I imagine Megatron would work well with the Zen, based on what I read. Megatron sound noticeably leaner than my other DAC/AMPs.

Oct 23, 2022 at 12:12 AM Post #66,213 of 75,871
Now that I got spoiled by flatheads, and pushing something into my ear canals started to feel unnatural 🤣, I've been experimenting with replacing my teleconferencing IEM headset with earbuds. So far, the results have been both interesting and frustrating.

I chose Faaeal Iris 2.0 with mic for the set to try, because of their darker signature, low price, and ready availability on Amazon. Plugged into my MacBook, the earbuds sounded fine, but the mic's sensitivity level turned out to be exceptionally low: cranking the manual gain setting to the max in Zoom barely got the sound indicator to move beyond a tiny red bar. At first, I thought this was a QC issue, and I got a defective set. Two replacements later, I'm now confident it's just the way Iris 2.0 work with MacBooks (or, perhaps, with just my MacBook), which, unfortunately, makes them a poor choice for my situation.

Here's the interesting part: when an Iris 2.0 set is first plugged in, for the first couple of seconds the sensitivity of the mic seems to be much higher, and on par with my regular headset. Then, some circuitry kicks in, and the sensitivity drops to almost nothing. So, it appears that the mic itself is not at fault. There must be some other clever piece of machinery responsible for this. What that is remains a mystery, though :beyersmile:

Oct 23, 2022 at 1:34 AM Post #66,215 of 75,871
Rosemary is a good earbud for the price and is quite warm but it gets more balanced when amp'ed and using thin foams, both of which improves clarity.
I like the warmth and full sounds of this buds while still possessing enough clarity.

It's not a technical and detailed sets if people are searching for one though.

Oct 23, 2022 at 1:38 AM Post #66,216 of 75,871
Last I looked the Rosemary was around $25 here.

I mentioned earlier about the response of the HieGi compared to more standard, generic foams.
TypicalHieGi.jpg

Oct 23, 2022 at 1:41 AM Post #66,217 of 75,871
I like the warmth and full sounds of this buds while still possessing enough clarity.

It's not a technical and detailed sets if people are searching for one though.

Yep I still keep my Rosemary earbud around, very warm bassy set, well suited to just chill to music. Lacks technicalities/resolution though, but there are other buds for that

What source are you using with the Rosemary? They are pretty hard to drive due to the 150 ohm impedance, but when amped properly, the clarity and resolution improves somewhat.

Oct 23, 2022 at 2:18 AM Post #66,218 of 75,871
It's ugly and I've since cleaned it up but this should give you an idea of what I did!

The more holes you cover, the less bloated it will be! I ended up covering all but one little hole.

Covering all the vents basically kills off bass so I reckon the next step past that is to cover the little hole with micropore tape or something porous and thin so it still has some bass response!
You can use thick EVA foam

Oct 23, 2022 at 2:30 AM Post #66,219 of 75,871
Now that I got spoiled by flatheads, and pushing something into my ear canals started to feel unnatural 🤣, I've been experimenting with replacing my teleconferencing IEM headset with earbuds. So far, the results have been both interesting and frustrating.
This is me lol :) I have had a Sennheiser CX TWS but the Bluetooth seems to not connect as quickly as I would like so back to the company provided 1990s tech for now.

Oct 23, 2022 at 4:49 AM Post #66,220 of 75,871
Just FYI, VE released a very cheap add-on set to the Megatron that includes a 70 Ohm impedance adaptor and a microphone for 5USD! I know the impedance adaptor will change the sound profile of whatever IEM or earbud is used with it, but I think the overall sound may end up slightly warmer. Maybe @o0genesis0o or whoever has both the Megatron and a measuring rig could get one and measure - for the community ❤️. I've ordered one but don't have a measurement rig. Happy to share what my ears hear, but as a scientist I want some easy of measuring it lol.

Edit: here's AliX link. Can also buy from VE website. https://a.aliexpress.com/_EJKlgn7

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2022 at 5:14 AM Post #66,221 of 75,871
Just FYI, VE released a very cheap add-on set to the Megatron that includes a 70 Ohm impedance adaptor and a microphone for 5USD! I know the impedance adaptor will change the sound profile of whatever IEM or earbud is used with it, but I think the overall sound may end up slightly warmer. Maybe @o0genesis0o or whoever has both the Megatron and a measuring rig could get one and measure - for the community ❤️. I've ordered one but don't have a measurement rig. Happy to share what my ears hear, but as a scientist I want some easy of measuring it lol

I’ll have a look. Interesting indeed. I don’t know what 70ohm output impedance would do to something like monk+ (64ohm). Looking forward for your subjective impressions as well.

Oct 23, 2022 at 5:38 AM Post #66,222 of 75,871
I’ll have a look. Interesting indeed. I don’t know what 70ohm output impedance would do to something like monk+ (64ohm). Looking forward for your subjective impressions as well.
I intend to use the adaptor for my sensitive IEMs with impedance of around 10-20 Ohms. At the moment I hear the noise floor and the volume is wayyyy too loud - precisely why VE has a disclaimer on the Megatron website lol

Oct 23, 2022 at 6:26 AM Post #66,223 of 75,871
I intend to use the adaptor for my sensitive IEMs with impedance of around 10-20 Ohms. At the moment I hear the noise floor and the volume is wayyyy too loud - precisely why VE has a disclaimer on the Megatron website lol
I'm not sure whether that's a good idea, given how something like Andromeda changes noticeably with just a couple extra ohm in the source or even the cable. This change is reflected directly in frequency response graphs, not just intangible aspects. But do let me know how it goes. Extending the usability of Megatron is always a good idea.

Oct 23, 2022 at 7:20 AM Post #66,224 of 75,871
graph.png

Howdy, folks!

I have added some earbuds graphs to my graph database. Just search for earbud and you will find some. If you search DIY, you can see the measurements of some of my buds as well. My goal is to build up a database of some MX500 drivers in the stock black MX500 shells without any modifications.

Anyhow, today, I bring you the graph of two VE buds: Monk+ and Master.

Some observations:
  • Both have less-than-stella channel matching (worse than FF3, worse than my amateur DIY earbuds, but better than my defective Smabat M4)
  • Both VE buds roll off significantly after 150Hz, giving them that "fast" and "tight" bass because most of the bass energy is focused in the punch region and there is very little rumble.
  • Neither Master nor Monk+ are harsh or piercing due to the subdued 5k region. They rely most only on the ear-gain and the mid-treble peak to keep the sound from being boring.
  • Despite having a milder tuning across the board, Master sounds distinctively more resolving than Monk+, trading blow or slightly exceed FF3 on this aspect.
  • I still think neither Monk+ nor Master good match for VE Megatron. They are too easy to drive.
Anyhow, what do I think about Master or Monk+? Without any comparison, I'm gladly daily drive Monk+. In fact, I did. However, Monk+ pales in comparison to Master. Now that I have a ddHifi adapter (4.4 to 2.5), I can use Master with all of my DAC/AMP, thus I have no more use for Monk+.

Regarding the Master, it sounds quite good. The lack of bass comparing to FF3 is a shame, but the form factor and the cable is a bit better, so I actually use Master more than any other head-fi gear in my current collection.

Other update: Replacement units of Smabat M4 is coming soon. I hope that I can finally hear and tune M4 properly. Stay tuned, and happy listening!

Oct 23, 2022 at 7:41 AM Post #66,225 of 75,871
graph.png

Howdy, folks!

I have added some earbuds graphs to my graph database. Just search for earbud and you will find some. If you search DIY, you can see the measurements of some of my buds as well. My goal is to build up a database of some MX500 drivers in the stock black MX500 shells without any modifications.

Anyhow, today, I bring you the graph of two VE buds: Monk+ and Master.

Some observations:
  • Both have less-than-stella channel matching (worse than FF3, worse than my amateur DIY earbuds, but better than my defective Smabat M4)
  • Both VE buds roll off significantly after 150Hz, giving them that "fast" and "tight" bass because most of the bass energy is focused in the punch region and there is very little rumble.
  • Neither Master nor Monk+ are harsh or piercing due to the subdued 5k region. They rely most only on the ear-gain and the mid-treble peak to keep the sound from being boring.
  • Despite having a milder tuning across the board, Master sounds distinctively more resolving than Monk+, trading blow or slightly exceed FF3 on this aspect.
  • I still think neither Monk+ nor Master good match for VE Megatron. They are too easy to drive.
Anyhow, what do I think about Master or Monk+? Without any comparison, I'm gladly daily drive Monk+. In fact, I did. However, Monk+ pales in comparison to Master. Now that I have a ddHifi adapter (4.4 to 2.5), I can use Master with all of my DAC/AMP, thus I have no more use for Monk+.

Regarding the Master, it sounds quite good. The lack of bass comparing to FF3 is a shame, but the form factor and the cable is a bit better, so I actually use Master more than any other head-fi gear in my current collection.

Other update: Replacement units of Smabat M4 is coming soon. I hope that I can finally hear and tune M4 properly. Stay tuned, and happy listening!
That Monk+ graph lines up nicely with what I'm hearing actually, thought the treble was pretty subdued at first but then noticed it has a few peaks (7k and air region). And the Monk+ is actually a decent pairing for the Megatron imo, it's right on the edge of not hissing and driven nicely at lower output (though yes, I agree they could include some sort of harder to drive bud to really show it off - wishful thinking :D).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back