Earbuds Round-Up
Sep 18, 2022 at 2:01 AM Post #64,951 of 75,342
Fiio has released pricing for FF5. It is 150 usd. Quite expensive but if it is to be an improvement over FF3, it might worth it.
Considering the EM5 was nearly double that, that's quite a bargain. If they do the prerelease pricing like they did for the FF3, then really no excuse not to get them, unless you need to read about listening impressions. Count me in for a blind buy.

Sep 18, 2022 at 2:08 AM Post #64,952 of 75,342
Were you able to listen to the Utopia '22? I sold my stealth while back as I didn't have any amp to properly drive it, but I want to try the DCA Expanse now.

By the way, I should have mentioned that if you enjoyed the Stealths I believe you'd also really enjoy the Expanse. It has a wider soundstage though not by as much as you might think considering the Stealth's soundstage is already pretty wide. The bass is elevated a bit more and a bit less tight and pin point accurate/articulate, but in a way that works very well with the overall presentation of an open back. Overall for as much as DCA went out of their
way to say that the Expanse isn't just an open back Stealth, it does have very similar voicing, presentation, and timbre, the differences lying mainly with minor tuning changes and the soundstage, layering, and in some ways the imaging, IMO. To me though, this is great. I absolutely love my Stealths and I expect the Expanse to be their perfect compliment much the same way my pair of ZMFs work.

To everybody else: Sorry, I promise, no more over ear off-topic BS! 😁

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2022 at 2:12 AM Post #64,953 of 75,342
Same, but I’m afraid I may have to ship them elsewhere…. Once my wife sees them: well, I’m gonna have some ‘splanin to do.

Shall I give you my address now or later? 😉

Seriously though, I will likely be asking my girl to marry me soon, but the separate finances thing is something we both like. Then again, I'd like to think she would go on being cool with me spending as I see fit. I think she gets it pretty well because she has her own expensive hobbies and her own head gear collection. Oh well, we'll see I guess.

Sep 18, 2022 at 2:29 AM Post #64,954 of 75,342
Hi folks,

What do you think if a pair of earbuds require a certain type of foam to sound right, and the manufacturer has made that clear in disclaimer? You know, the same kind of situation as Sennheiser IExxx series that has special ear tips with built-in acoustic filters?

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2022 at 2:40 AM Post #64,955 of 75,342
Did anyone make it by CanJam SoCal today or is anyone going tomorrow? I just went by for a little bit to audition the DCA Expanse because I had a reserve slot and I made quick stops by the ZMF, Burson, and Wells Audio exhibits to try a few things out real quick, buy was unfortunately too busy to stay. I'm hoping to have more time to just go and wander tomorrow.

My wallet isn't thanking me though because, while I still actually prefer the sound of the Stealths, I clicked with the Expanse in the way I was hoping I might click with other TOTL open backs like the LCD-4&5 and Susvara but didn't.

The event could really use some earbuds though...😉
Was going to suggest that some actually like the Stelia better than the Utopia. Give those a listen.

And if you are into planar the new CA Supermoon look worth hearing, along with the debuting DUNU Talos planar + BA (with a switch to turn on and off the BA). Just a couple things to try out. :)
Same, but I’m afraid I may have to ship them elsewhere…. Once my wife sees them: well, I’m gonna have some ‘splanin to do.
Before @JAnonymous5150 stole my thought (or rather beat me to it lol) I was going to say to tell your wife you are getting them for me. I can take it, I have big shoulders... :smiling_imp: :thumbsup:
Hi folks,

What do you think if a pair of earbuds require a certain type of foam to sound right, and the manufacturer has made that clear in disclaimer? You know, the same kind of situation as Sennheiser IExxx series that has special earths with built-in acoustic filters?
It wouldn't be the worst thing in the world, unless they put those foams behind a huge paywall, or controlled the release of them to make them hard to get. On the other hand, longevity comes into question here. If they are discontinued and you have no way to replace those foams, then the buds become pretty useless... IMHO.

Sep 18, 2022 at 2:43 AM Post #64,956 of 75,342
Shall I give you my address now or later? 😉

Seriously though, I will likely be asking my girl to marry me soon, but the separate finances thing is something we both like. Then again, I'd like to think she would go on being cool with me spending as I see fit. I think she gets it pretty well because she has her own expensive hobbies and her own head gear collection. Oh well, we'll see I guess.
My wife is frugal—less so about my spending than her own. She gets over it quick enough. I just like to joke about it.

Sep 18, 2022 at 2:47 AM Post #64,957 of 75,342
Hi folks,

What do you think if a pair of earbuds require a certain type of foam to sound right, and the manufacturer has made that clear in disclaimer? You know, the same kind of situation as Sennheiser IExxx series that has special earths with built-in acoustic filters?
I so picky with my tunings, every bud I have only sounds to my satisfaction with one particular foam. I’m learning now that I need to tune brighter because they all get darker over time—at least initially.

Sep 18, 2022 at 2:51 AM Post #64,958 of 75,342
Was going to suggest that some actually like the Stelia better than the Utopia. Give those a listen.

And if you are into planar the new CA Supermoon look worth hearing, along with the debuting DUNU Talos planar + BA (with a switch to turn on and off the BA). Just a couple things to try out. :)

Before @JAnonymous5150 stole my thought (or rather beat me to it lol) I was going to say to tell your wife you are getting them for me. I can take it, I have big shoulders... :smiling_imp: :thumbsup:

It wouldn't be the worst thing in the world, unless they put those foams behind a huge paywall, or controlled the release of them to make them hard to get. On the other hand, longevity comes into question here. If they are discontinued and you have no way to replace those foams, then the buds become pretty useless... IMHO.
Ah Samandhi… you know how much I love you man? In truth, I’d rather build you something than buy you something even though I know you weren’t saying I could buy it for you.

You are spot on about the foams too.

Sep 18, 2022 at 2:54 AM Post #64,959 of 75,342
I'm asking because a pair of DIY that I am working on absolutely requires listeners to use silicone rings or at least donut foam. Any full foam would be too dark and muffled. Personally, I think it is unacceptable, but I want to hear how you guys think.

Sep 18, 2022 at 2:55 AM Post #64,960 of 75,342
My wife is frugal—less so about my spending than her own. She gets over it quick enough. I just like to joke about it.
Preaching to the choir brother! My wife throws a huge temper tantrum for about 1 hour, then it is totally forgotten about because, while I purchase some pretty costly things, she "nickles & dimes" us to death with all of her garage sales and flea markets.

When she buys something new (to her), I always make her get rid of something else so that we don't become hoarders (she normally buys larger items rather than small stuff like head gear).

Sep 18, 2022 at 2:55 AM Post #64,961 of 75,342

I have been on a planar kick lately, but not because I choose to like a specific driver type over another, but because, especially in the high end market, planars are dominating the best of the best right now. I love me some dynamic drivers, but no matter how many I audition I haven't found anything that bests my current lineup, especially my ZMFs, for me.

The SuperMoons are a great suggestion. Too bad I already have a pair! 😂 I am interested to see how the Talos come out, but I do believe that I'm done with the new purchases for a bit aside from maybe a few more buds I want to try and I'm still auditioning DACs to make sure I have my audio chain for the Stealths where I want it. This year has been a good year for me financially, but I also sold almost $25k worth of drum, hifi, and head gear specifically with the intent to go out and get the best of the best for my tastes and I think I've accomplished that over the last few months. The ride has been crazy fun!

Obviously, I'm still pretty new to buds so that's not done yet and I'm always down for a good budget find when I stumble upon one. 😁

@o0genesis0o As long as the foams are readily available on the market like HieGis or something or if you're just referring to a foam of the listener's choice then I'm fine with it. I don't currently have any earbuds that I listen to foamless except maybe the Sun Dice, but I'm experimenting with that one.

It'd be much like headphone manufacturers tuning their phones with their pads in mind. That only works if the manufacturer keeps the pads available or if a robust aftermarket supply is available from third party manufacturers. That's the caveat. Making an earbud that requires a certain foam to be useable and then not providing that foam in the long term is a quick way to alienate potential loyal customers, IMO and as @samandhi said, it makes the buds useless once the foams are toast.

Sep 18, 2022 at 3:02 AM Post #64,962 of 75,342
I'm asking because a pair of DIY that I am working on absolutely requires listeners to use silicone rings or at least donut foam. Any full foam would be too dark and muffled. Personally, I think it is unacceptable, but I want to hear how you guys think.

So are we to understand that you're DIYing with the intent to become a producer of earbuds for sale?

As for the rings/foams, I have no problem adding buds to my collection that need a ring, particular foam, or even a combination. Foams and rings are cheap and plentiful and for each bud I currently own I have eventually come to settle on a particular setup I like on it and then make sure I have ample stock.

Sep 18, 2022 at 3:07 AM Post #64,963 of 75,342
Ah Samandhi… you know how much I love you man? In truth, I’d rather build you something than buy you something even though I know you weren’t saying I could buy it for you.

You are spot on about the foams too.
You are very kind, and I would rather the same (you make, rather than buy). But mostly I enjoy reading and absorbing the (fantastic) knowledge that you share almost daily here. (this being the cool kids salute) 🖕 :yum:

On that note, I almost pulled the trigger in having you make me a set (you offered once before also), but @FranQL decided to do it because you were so busy moving (which BTW, I hope all went well on that front also). :) Either way, I am super happy with the result, and listen to them daily and feel honored to have something made by any of the top DIYers that I know of.
Considering that the recommendation is that they be (almost) naked, I don't really see an issue with that. That would be a sort of unique tuning IMO. Most are tuned to be used with foams rather than without them.

Sep 18, 2022 at 3:08 AM Post #64,964 of 75,342
@WoodyLuvr and @ian91, The Sound Signature chart you guys came up with is very nice. How exactly are you plotting the sound signature of buds and IEMs? I mean what are you doing to determine how to plot a sound signature? Are you taking FR measurements and interpreting the measurements a certain way to determine the graphical plot? Are you just using your ears to carefully listen to how an earbud or IEM sounds to you and then do a plot? I think since everybody hears differently that would not be feasible. Besides yourselves, how do others use your chart to plot a sound signature that would be consistent across several users plotting the same earbuds or IEMs? Do you have a tutorial or explanation on how you plot an earbud in your Sound Signature chart? I'm really intrigued.

Very good questions! Transducers are plotted purely by ear. Neither @WoodyLuvr nor I have measuring rigs. The method is far from an exact science but I believe it still has value. Although what we hear is related to a frequency graph there are qualities to the sound that such a graph can't convey and this is an attempt to embrace and organise the subjective.

There are many ways that the reliability of observations might be an issue, particularly when more than one 'observer' contributes to the same comparison chart. What I will say is that, reassuringly, @WoodyLuvr and I have plotted sets blind and our central plot, the 'primary' position, have fallen in almost the exact same place on several occasions and nearly always fall in a reasonably acceptable proximity.

As you can see, this is far from a scientific exercise and I think @WoodyLuvr and I are quick to admit to that. I see it as more of a way to encourage the use of (a) a system of description with (b) shared definitions. Not to limit or constrain but to bring us together in that subjective space.

Maybe @WoodyLuvr has a different take on things and I look forward to hearing his perspective!

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2022 at 3:11 AM Post #64,965 of 75,342
So are we to understand that you're DIYing with the intent to become a producer of earbuds for sale?

As for the rings/foams, I have no problem adding buds to my collection that need a ring, particular foam, or even a combination. Foams and rings are cheap and plentiful and for each bud I currently own I have eventually come to settle on a particular setup I like on it and then make sure I have ample stock.

You are very kind, and I would rather the same (you make, rather than buy). But mostly I enjoy reading and absorbing the (fantastic) knowledge that you share almost daily here. (this being the cool kids salute) 🖕 :yum:

On that note, I almost pulled the trigger in having you make me a set (you offered once before also), but @FranQL decided to do it because you were so busy moving (which BTW, I hope all went well on that front also). :) Either way, I am super happy with the result, and listen to them daily and feel honored to have something made by any of the top DIYers that I know of.

Considering that the recommendation is that they be (almost) naked, I don't really see an issue with that. That would be a sort of unique tuning IMO. Most are tuned to be used with foams rather than without them.

No selling intention at this moment. Until I can get as good as TGXear buds, Rikubuds, and Fiio FF3, I have no intention of getting people's money for mediocre stuffs. We have enough "budget king" IEMs for that :dt880smile:

I asked because I think having to force listeners to use a particular type of foam or ring is a lousy work on the tuner's side (me). Kind of disappointed that I cannot squeeze better upper midrange and air out of these 64 ohm Ti drivers without changing the ear tips.

Edit: I do want to make very good buds as gifts to others, though. If I can nitpick manufacturers about their tuning and technical performance, then I should be able to use that insight to make something good, otherwise I would just be BS-ing :dt880smile: . I think making great buds that bring delight to others like @FranQL is pretty cool.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back