Earbuds Round-Up
Aug 26, 2022 at 11:57 AM Post #63,856 of 75,476
This song really brings out the massive staging, great dynamics, etc... on the FF3 (just WOW!), though I am hearing it in hi-res so YMMV with this video:

But, then again, the with the Yinman this song just sounds AMAZING (I don't think the FF3 can touch them on this one)!

Aug 26, 2022 at 12:12 PM Post #63,857 of 75,476
planar bud diy? damn
is there even that many 15.4mm planar drivers?

While browsing I found 10mm, 12mm, 14.2mm planar drivers, and one shop selling a 14.8mm driver. The instructions for the build as completed by @ClieOS call for the 14.2mm so I purchased 2 pairs of them just in case something goes wrong with one.

If this build ends up producing a bud that I really like or intrigues me in some other way that makes me want to continue down the planar earbud rabbit hole, I put together a list of potential supplies to order to try a few different ideas, but as I mentioned in another post, I'm betting that I'll probably be boring and prefer dynamic drivers for earbuds.

I'm not sure when I'll get this done, but when I do I will post an update here regarding how easy/difficult the build was, any tips or lessons I have for anyone wanting to do it, and how they sound to my ears so if you're interested just keep your eyes peeled for updates.

Aug 26, 2022 at 12:19 PM Post #63,858 of 75,476
Edit: just let me friend audition my FF3. He said this form factor looks so cheap so he is not going to buy this kind of earbuds. Needless to say, I’m not going to make a pair of earbuds for him anymore :dt880smile:
His loss, your gain. Now you have one extra set of buds that you can use to practice tuning and experimenting with.

Aug 26, 2022 at 12:19 PM Post #63,859 of 75,476
I too am interested in the Supermoon's even though they seem to be only in ciem option. Have heard so many good things about them!

I didn't inquire about the CIEM option as I find that for music listening the universal fits tend to be just fine. I used to try to have only CIEMs, but I stopped doing that a few years ago. Plus, UIEMs have better resale value which allows me to turnover my collection as I find new IEMs that I prefer lol!

I tried the Sueprmoons in the "audiophile" fit and the "artist" fit, which is supposed to be more like a CIEM, and Inpreferred the audiophile fit. The artist fit didn't let me get the right fit/seal with the nozzle.

Aug 26, 2022 at 12:21 PM Post #63,860 of 75,476
While browsing I found 10mm, 12mm, 14.2mm planar drivers, and one shop selling a 14.8mm driver. The instructions for the build as completed by @ClieOS call for the 14.2mm so I purchased 2 pairs of them just in case something goes wrong with one.

If this build ends up producing a bud that I really like or intrigues me in some other way that makes me want to continue down the planar earbud rabbit hole, I put together a list of potential supplies to order to try a few different ideas, but as I mentioned in another post, I'm betting that I'll probably be boring and prefer dynamic drivers for earbuds.

I'm not sure when I'll get this done, but when I do I will post an update here regarding how easy/difficult the build was, any tips or lessons I have for anyone wanting to do it, and how they sound to my ears so if you're interested just keep your eyes peeled for updates.
Ortho dynamic drivers aren't for everyone, and chances are that if you have not found them to your liking of the ones you have tried, you probably aren't going to start liking them. Having said that, you might stumble (maybe an educated stumble???) across a build that really appeals to you in one way or another. Let us know your progress along the way?!

As for me, I am an ortho nut and would have all (but a couple DD and BA) of my head gear in either ortho or electrostatic. I love them exactly for the differences in sound they produce.

Aug 26, 2022 at 12:23 PM Post #63,861 of 75,476
BUT.... keep in mind that Yinman need quite a bit more power to sound "proper", and the FF3 can be driven off any phone. Also, the FF3 are also built like a tank. The Yinman are wooden (if that matters to you). Also the FF3 have a modular cable OOTB. The Yinman are much lighter, but (for my ears anyhow) the FF3 actually fit better (than any other bud I have).

Maybe none of these things matter, but just giving you the info so you can better make up your own mind... :)
Yeah source will be a tricky consideration for me as I vastly prefer portable gear over anything that would be stuck on the desk haha.

I'm thinking the Topping G5 might be a good pick up since it seems like I'll be bottlenecked by my Qudelix 5K if I ever want to try higher resistance gear. But need to sell things to pad my PayPal balance to buy that and more buds :sweat_smile:

Aug 26, 2022 at 12:29 PM Post #63,862 of 75,476
Ortho dynamic drivers aren't for everyone, and chances are that if you have not found them to your liking of the ones you have tried, you probably aren't going to start liking them. Having said that, you might stumble (maybe an educated stumble???) across a build that really appeals to you in one way or another. Let us know your progress along the way?!

As for me, I am an ortho nut and would have all (but a couple DD and BA) of my head gear in either ortho or electrostatic. I love them exactly for the differences in sound they produce.

They tend to be very hit and miss for me with the smaller ortho/planar drivers used in IEMs and in this case earbuds being much more likely to have the issues that cause me to dislike them. I do like the Letshuoer S12s and I love the DCA Stealths and Aeon X Closed so there are orthos/planars in small and full sizes that pull it off for me. I mean, the Stealths are hands down the best analytical headphone I have ever heard and maybe the best I have ever heard overall.

Aug 26, 2022 at 12:30 PM Post #63,863 of 75,476
Aug 26, 2022 at 12:33 PM Post #63,864 of 75,476
Last edited:
Aug 26, 2022 at 12:36 PM Post #63,865 of 75,476

Also, from your description earlier on the reasons you may not like planar as well, I might suggest that you either set (if you have the ability to) your DAC filter to "long delay, slow rolloff" or something to that nature. Or, I would also suggest a good tube amp. Having a strong tube amp effect can benefit the planar IEM in that it slows down transients a bit naturally, which might be just what you are looking for.

As for me, I suppose it should make sense that I love planar because I like a lot of metal, and the speed, and texture of planars play VERY well into any sort of fast music. 🤷‍♂️

Edit: I can't say that ALL of my planar head gear sounds good on a tube amp, but the Hifiman Deva, and HE400S sound absolutely sublime on one.

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2022 at 12:41 PM Post #63,866 of 75,476
I finally had a chance to visit my local store and try out some of the recommendations you guys had for open back IEMs.

Sony MDR-EX800ST- Sony's naming sense is the best. Honestly I couldn't figure out how to wear these, and the guy at the shop couldn't figure it out either. The only way it worked was if the text was on the inside and the smooth looking surface, which totally looked like it should be on the inside, was facing out. We even disconnected the cables and verified that they were properly attached (proprietary interface, again Sony geez why you do....). Well at least I could fit the tips into my ears and get a listen.

Final E3000- despite having the open grill on the back, they didn't feel any more open than normal IEMs to me.

TFZ Tequila- These I enjoyed. They were pretty comfortable.

Raptgo Hook X- Probably my favorite out of the recommendations, and the ones that felt the most open out of the bunch.

FiiO FH9- This wasn't a recommendation, but I also found that they have large vents. I like the FiiO tuning, and these were the ones I felt I actually wanted. Out of my price range though...

All in all, for each of them I found myself wishing that they were more open, and not really seeing situations where I would chose any of them over my FiiO EM5 earbuds. So earbud bias confirmed.

More importantly, I found that they do have a small earbuds section! I was able to try Moondrop Chaconne, ATH-CM2000TI, and a few others. The ATH-CM2000TI was sooo technical. I felt like it outperformed my EM5s by quite a bit. I would need to EQ more than the EM5s though, as the tuning didn't quite work for me. I'm okay with EQ. I want them.

I was disappointed that they didn't have the FF3. Maybe it is slow to come to Japan. I really wanted to try them.
If / when I can travel to Japan again I'm going to make it a point to visit an e-earphone retail store.

Aug 26, 2022 at 1:03 PM Post #63,869 of 75,476
This is 32 ohm MYLAR foil (PET) driver without any coating.

Its a brand new tunning from DIY Workroom group. As @FranQL said it's very vivid and deep bass same time.
My build. Same awesome drivers
20220731_000010.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2022 at 2:14 PM Post #63,870 of 75,476
Talk about crappy earbuds! 😉
We had a patient who thought those baggies were foolproof And swallowed them filled with cocaine in an attempt to hide it from the police. Did you know that stuff is a potent bowel stimulant? Well, that’s how I learned it was. That police car was… well, they probably just burned it. LOL

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back